• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #146 - "Rite of Passage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charade

Theme - "Rite of Passage"

Word Limit: 2000

Please note the new deadlines! We're experimenting with a different timeframe!
Submission Deadline: Saturday, June 28th at 08:00 AM PST

Voting begins Saturday, June 28th at 08:01 AM PST and goes until Tuesday, July 1st at 08:00 AM PST.

Optional Secondary Objective: Food

Incorporate food into your writing. Make our mouths water!
Or our stomachs turn.

Submission Guidelines:
- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

The Entries:

Hello, um...

what's the "usual password"?

Every couple of months I click on one of these threads thinking I'm totally gonna write something. Then I chicken out and want to read other people's entries instead, but I can't because they're all locked away and I don't know the secret knock.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hello, um...

Every couple of months I click on one of these threads thinking I'm totally gonna write something. Then I chicken out and want to read other people's entries instead, but I can't because they're all locked away and I don't know the secret knock.

neogaf

Mike M

Nick N
Hello, um...

Quote to view.

Just as a benefit to any other lurkers, never be afraid to ask for the PW.

Cyan

Banned
Whew.

That constrained writing thing was some of the hardest shit I've done. You need to pay so much attention to the tiniest details, and be really flexible in how you write things, and sometimes circle way around a point rather than coming right at it, and...

It's funny that a few people thought my writing seemed better than usual. I think that maybe demonstrates how effective something like that is at getting you out of a rut. I'll have to think about that.

Great challenge overall, tons of creativity, and congrats to Charade on the win and on a great embodiment of the secondary!

And now onto the next thing (with a great sigh of relief).

Ok so I'm taking a little break from school this summer, hopefully I can join you guys in on the writing fun :), I'm not very good but I'm starting my English classes next fall and would love some practice before then.

Ourobolus

Banned
Next challenge: no verbs.
Darkened room.
Drips of water. Leaky faucet.
Acrid air. Grandma's perfume.
Patchwork tablecloth.
Paper plates, everywhere.
Friends, nowhere.
Surprise!
Flickering light.
Bran muffin with a candle.
Small wrapped gift. Red satin wrap.
A set of keys.
Car keys?
Finally?
A wooden box nearby with a keyhole. Curious.
"For your jewelry, Susie!"
Brian.
Not Susie, Grandma.
Worst birthday ever.

This is not my entry

Charade

EDIT: I misread that as "vowels" because apparently I am illiterate.

You know, the same sort of thing happened to me last challenge. When I saw your post on the first page about wanting to do a transcript, my mind somehow made the leap to "resume" (I think because I initially thought of it as a school transcript). And that's how I got my idea.

So a much belated thank you is in order!

Mike M

Nick N
You know, the same sort of thing happened to me last challenge. When I saw your post on the first page about wanting to do a transcript, my mind somehow made the leap to "resume" (I think because I initially thought of it as a school transcript). And that's how I got my idea.

So a much belated thank you is in order!

Well, yours did involve a transcript in the end, so I guess it still worked out.

Meanwhile, first draft is done.

Mike M

Nick N
I have a little notebook where I write down every story idea that occurs to me, I usually have something to use for any given topic in there.

Tangent

Man I'm behind the times. I just posted on the last thread in response to some people.

I call dibs on jalapenos.
shucks.

I'm doing mine in a bar. Dibs.
shucks.

It's funny that a few people thought my writing seemed better than usual. I think that maybe demonstrates how effective something like that is at getting you out of a rut.
I would second that -- that was some of your best stuff!

I have a little notebook where I write down every story idea that occurs to me, I usually have something to use for any given topic in there.
I have a whole document full of ideas, but then whenever I glance back at them, they look stupid. So yeah, the only logical explanation is that you have clones. Mike X, Mike Y, Mike Z...

Mike M

Nick N
You all are making me self conscious of how lame my username is. I should have just pulled the trigger and gone with Mike Miksch from the start. Or The Mysterious Mr. M or some shit like that.

Is just plain "Mike" still an active account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom