• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman responds to Anti-Semitic charges from the Anti-Defamation League

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/gary-oldman-dealing-with-shrapnel-of-playboy-candor-without-context/

Dear Gentlemen of the ADL:

I am deeply remorseful that comments I recently made in the Playboy Interview were offensive to many Jewish people. Upon reading my comments in print—I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype. Anything that contributes to this stereotype is unacceptable, including my own words on the matter. If, during the interview, I had been asked to elaborate on this point I would have pointed out that I had just finished reading Neal Gabler’s superb book about the Jews and Hollywood, An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews invented Hollywood. The fact is that our business, and my own career specifically, owes an enormous debt to that contribution.

I hope you will know that this apology is heartfelt, genuine, and that I have an enormous personal affinity for the Jewish people in general, and those specifically in my life. The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people.

I would like to sign off with “Shalom Aleichem”—but under the circumstances, perhaps today I lose the right to use that phrase, so I will wish you all peace–Gary Oldman.

The ADL has rejected his aplogy.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14038140646086&key=de2ccb8ca8943c06669720e0a267a9f6&libId=d1651738-9068-43af-be45-24fbfb34fe2a&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neogaf.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D844895&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adl.org%2Fpress-center%2Fpress-releases%2Fanti-semitism-usa%2Fadl-says-gary-oldman-apology-insufficient.html&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neogaf.com%2Fforum%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D3&title=Gary%20Oldman%20responds%20to%20Anti-Semetic%20chargers%20from%20the%20Anti-Defamation%20League%20-%20NeoGAF&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adl.org%2Fpress-center%2Fpres...ufficient.html

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
what in the actual fuck?

The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people.

Especially since most of my Jewish friends are about as religious as I am...

It certainly wasn't "there's a typo in there", because taht one made it into the published statement.

Delicious!

FStop7

Banned
5181a7e99c872.gif

JohnDoe

Banned

His reference to the Neal Gabler book he was reading only reinforces the notion that Jewish directors, producers and financiers are there in Hollywood as Jews. They’re not, and the book does not draw that conclusion. They are there acting as individuals. They do not pursue a Jewish agenda or strategy. They are there acting as professionals and Americans with skills working alongside many other non-Jews who are also in show business for the same reasons.

oh noooooo

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is where it enters WTF territory:

It's kind of like Streisand Effect, but racism instead of real estate.

I peed on her house during the AIDS Ride. I had to go super bad. I was 80 miles in. I think that might be homophobic and anti-Semitic.

When will people learn? Read this thread... people don't accept your apology ever. In fact, they use it as an admission of guilt more than anything. If you said what you meant and you meant what you said, never apologize. The apology tour is about schadenfreude of watching people more successful than us squirm, not about forgiveness and understanding.

Guess that's a wrap on his chances of ever winning an Oscar.

ICKE

Banned
I'm glad he at least acknowledged the fact that Jews are the chosen people but his apology lacked substance regarding Israel.

Also the notion that Jews invented Hollywood is antisemitic to its core. He should be sentenced to death for such insolence.

I'm kidding of course but he should consider hiring a new PR-team lol

FStop7

Banned
When will people learn? Read this thread... people don't accept your apology ever. In fact, they use it as an admission of guilt more than anything. If you said what you meant and you meant what you said, never apologize. The apology tour is about schadenfreude of watching people more successful than us squirm, not about forgiveness and understanding.

Guess that's a wrap on his chances of ever winning an Oscar.

Really dude? You really, really think that was an apology? It was a passive aggressive "fuck you."

Really dude? You really, really think that was an apology? It was a passive aggressive "fuck you."

I think it was, yeah. But I'll admit, he put it on a little thick and it made me cringe so bad that I would respect him more if it was a 'fuck you' rather than if he was really that sappy.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'm glad he at least acknowledged the fact that Jews are the chosen people but his apology lacked substance regarding Israel.

Also the notion that Jews invented Hollywood is antisemitic to its core. He should be sentenced to death for such insolence.

Pretty much. I mean how dare he claim that the Jewish community have a large influence in Hollywood, this totally voluntary apology proves otherwise.

This is good.

I think it was, yeah. But I'll admit, he put it on a little thick and it made me cringe so bad that I would respect him more if it was a 'fuck you' rather than if he was really that sappy.

The problem is, he (and/or his publicist) doesn't understand *why* the things he said were offensive. So at best, he's ignorant, and at worst, he really feels that way.

I'm a bit confused. Is acknowledging the deep Jewish roots in Hollywood antisemitic or not? I followed that initial thread and thought Oldman only got into shit for defending Mel Gibson's slur slinging ass.

I just don't want to be ignorant on the subject is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom