• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Trademarks “KOF;” Is a New The King of Fighters Game Incoming?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
At the beginning of the month SNK playmore registered a new trademark for “KOF” with the Japanese Patent and Trademark office. It was filed under class 9 (video games), 28 (accessories and parts for video game machines) and 41 (online games).

SNK already had a “KOF” trademark registered, but it was bound to an old logo. Yet, it’s expiration far in the future (2018) so this isn’t a renewal of that one, and is probably for something entirely new.

Considering the recent trends of releasing sequels and reboots of popular franchises using only acronyms as the title, it’s quite likely that we’re looking at that kind of possibility.

The recent announcement of the mobile game The Rhythm of Fighters may have left fans a little disgruntled, but if this indicates a new King of Fighters game in development, it could save the day, especially since the trademark makes no mention of mobile platforms.

Knock me out if old.
Source

--

Anyway, OP, here's the actual trademark spotting if you wanna include it in the OP

xsMSmIu.png

bluexy

SNK Playmore creating a gritty Pokemon spin-off in which a Koffing, abused by his trainers, goes on a brutal rampage in the name of vengeance. He's no longer just a Koffing -- meet KOF.

Krejlooc

Banned
It'd be way cooler if this was the subtitle to a Garou MotW sequel instead. Don't forget, King of Fighters is a Fatal Fury spinoff (the tournament in those games is called The King of Fighters).

EDIT: I've been waiting for the eventual Terry vs Rock show down.

This better not be a reboot. I've literally been waiting for that fucking dragon spirit plot to go anywhere for almost 14 years now damn it :|

klee123

Ditch the shitty sprites and follow Arc System works' example.

Whilst the sprites in KOF 12 and 13 were HD, the art style was horrid compared to the old MVS sprites.

JordanN

Banned
Probably another Pachinko game. Or mobage.

I remember SNK said they wouldn't touch PS3/360 till the installbase was there (which was 3 years). The same might happen again with PS4/XBO.

OmegaDL50

Awesome, I hope they go the GG Xrd route graphics wise to save time.

They sort of did this actually.

When developing KOFXII and KOFXIII they used 3D character models as a basis for the sprites and shaded over these models and more or less made them 2D Sprites

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...nterview-fighting-its-way-back-to-the-throne/

PSB: These hi-res 2D sprites look really beautiful in motion. How was the process to bring these graphics to life?
Yamamoto: What we did was first create 3D models of each character. We posed them, added lighting, and then outputted them as 2D frames. From there, we moved on to post-processing, where we added details such as hand-drawn (dot-pixel) illustration-like expressions and shadows. We think it’s a very unique process for creating 2D sprites.

BadWolf

I remember SNK said they wouldn't touch PS3/360 till the installbase was there (which was 3 years). The same might happen again with PS4/XBO.

Its no secret that they are working on a new KOF and Samurai Showdown, they had a lot of ads out last year in Arcadia etc. flat out saying they were hiring devs to work on the next entries in both the series. Sounded like it was crunch time for KOF in another rumor.

So its really a question of when they are going to announce it. Hopefully by August since that's when KOF turns 20 years old.

Tizoc

We know they were working on a new KOF as this year marks its anniversary.
I just hope we get to see it soon
It's an Xbone exclusive announced during TGS

AAK

Whatever it is, it's for sure going to be arcade exclusive for a long time just like Tekken/GG/BB.

Whatever it is, it's for sure going to be arcade exclusive for a long time just like Tekken/GG/BB.

I wouldn't be too mad at this if it wasn't because arcade games are now pretty much region locked ever since NessicaXLive and similar systems started to come out :|

DSix

Banned
I think they're gonna go the Guilty Gear Xrd route, since the KoF13 sprites are already based off 3d models.

Tizoc

where's Garou 2, SNK brehs? there's like 20 KOFs already.

You know how people hate on Capcom for no Megaman, hate on SEGA for no Yakuza or a new entry in any of their 90s series, or on S-E for only focusing on FF?
That's my stance with SNK and Fatal Fury.
...but hey the KoF fans are satisfied, why should we complain!

Krejlooc

Banned
You know how people hate on Capcom for no Megaman, hate on SEGA for no Yakuza or a new entry in any of their 90s series, or on S-E for only focusing on FF?
That's my stance with SNK and Fatal Fury.
...but hey the KoF fans are satisfied, why should we complain!

ex6D7yi.jpg

I keep waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...

Remember AoF too. I guess the FF series absorbed AoF though, like SF did with Final Fight.

Work supposedly began on a sequel to Garou many many many years ago (before SNK died the first time) that included Ryo as the new Mr. Karate.

That alone blows my mind.

Krejlooc

Banned
As others have said, it's actually a good game.

Any-fucking-way, where's our 20th Anniversary King of Fighters game this year???

A Dream Match game to better 98 & 2002.

I know the actual King of Fighters tournament started with Fatal Fury but King of a Fighters 94 was the first titled game.

fatal_fury_01.png

:p

Krejlooc

Banned
For a bunch of fighting games, the KOF and Fatal Fury series sure do have a pretty awesome story behind them. A new game in either series with a story told ALA MK9 would be great.

I love when Geese pushes Terry's hand away before dying, or the entirety of the original Orochi arc (and how you weren't sure if Kyo and Iroi died in KOF 97 and didn't really know until KOF 99).

Top Bottom