• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Gaider (DA:I Bioware Writer) responds to companion sexuality controversy

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I thought this deserved it's own thread

CKppaWR.png

This was in response various fans airing their grievances of Bioware design companions that weren't as appealing to them as in previous Bioware games and particularly gay and lesbian companions.

I thought this deserved it's own thread because it's nice to see a developer of not always primarily cater to the straight white gamer.

lock if old.

Daemul

What is it with every Bioware game having some sort of gay character controversy? It's the same shit, the same shit every game.

It's a pretty dumb controversy if so. Every Dragon Age has had same-sex romance options, and DA2 had same-sex male options (don't remember if Origins did too). Making a companion who was specifically gay was the obvious next step to anyone following the series.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What is it with every Bioware game having some sort of gay character controversy? It's the same, the same shit every game.
Maybe cuz they just do it and then people go ham?

I wish bioware would make a game without romance stuff.

Its never been a highlight in any of the games I played. Mostly just awkwardly written and hilariously motion captured.

Staf

it's because there's still homophobic idiots with access to twitter out there
Which clearly is an minority so why do they even respond to them? I agree with the message but it just comes across as Bioware, yet again, give these guys an megaphone to help them make headlines. Just ignore the homophobic idiots and they will go away.

What is it with every Bioware game having some sort of gay character controversy? It's the same, the same shit every game.

Bioware at least acknowledges that it is 'ok' to be attracted to the same gender. They write sci-fi/fantasy based games filled to the brim with characters that feel alive in their own world.

It is the problem with the low iq individuals around us that can not comprehend that being gay is not something to be punished about. It just as much a normal thing these days in plenty of countries, in comparison to just being attracted to another gender.

Blame the twitter morons to actually feel offended by Bioware for them putting in gay characters.

Dawg

Equality has always been important for BioWare.

That's why I'm sure the writing behind this gay character will just be as bad as the straight characters in the game.

freelevel

Banned
I wish that gays were totally accepted in video games just so I could get a laugh out of what I already know would happen: People would then start arguing on what 'type' of gay people are being represented. "Not Enough Bears in Games, and the Reason Why" could maybe be a topic title. Which is why I would laugh, because I know people will never be happy or get along. Sad but true. At least the majority won't.

BibiMaghoo

General Gaming Discussion

You do realise you are in a thread specifically about something you say you are sick of discussing? This thread is not about General gaming is it?

OT, This is nothing new for a Bioware game, other than a specific mention of a characters sexuality, instead of just having the option of being gay in their games. I'm not sure what the difference is honestly. Gay character, or character that can be / is gay. Seems like an arbitrary difference.

I wish that gays were totally accepted in video games just so I could get a laugh out of what I already know would happen: People would then start arguing on what 'type' of gay people are being represented. "Not Enough Bears in Games, and the Reason Why" could maybe be a topic title. Which is why I would laugh, because I know people will never be happy or get along. Sad but true. At least the majority won't.
So you think gay players are complaining about the lack of gay characters just so it's something to complain about? Because they'll "never be happy or get along"
Do you hear straight men arguing over the types of straight male representation in games?
OSxpG79.gif
Because what you're suggesting is that once gay players get decent representation they'll find something to complain about - when the straight male players already have good representation and they don't.

yGray

Banned
I think he's talking about IGN talking about Bioware making a "press release" on one of their podcast and they were saying "why even bother doing that" etc.

So he's probably reacting to that. It's typical that IGN creates drama and is full of uninformed social justice editors

Everybody just needs to stop getting worked up over every little thing. No gay characters, uproar. Gay characters, uproar. No women, uproar. Feature women characters, uproar.

I honestly don't care if the characters in a game are gay, women, trans, Hispanic, black, or just a bunch of bald white muscle men.

If the game is fun I will play it. The rest is just window dressing.

If I was bioware in would just give up. First the gaming population forced them to change the ending of Mass Effect and now this.

They can't win with people.

OT, This is nothing new for a Bioware game, other than a specific mention of a characters sexuality, instead of just having the option of being gay in their games. I'm not sure what the difference is honestly. Gay character, or character that can be / is gay. Seems like an arbitrary difference.

Wait, I apologize; I don't really follow. What do you mean by "option of being gay"?

If I was bioware in would just give up. First the gaming population forced them to change the ending of Mass Effect and now this.

They can't win with people.
They won't back down on this, thankfully. It happens with every single one of their games and either they or EA come out and say that they don't care if people don't buy it because of LGBT characters, because it's something that they believe in etc.

JDSN

Banned

Are you saying its wrong or selfish that people demand more of the things they want on the games they like? NONSENSE!

royox

I'm not gay so I don't know the asnwer.....but I'm sure Gay people don't like when a company like Bioware makes to "have a gay character" a big deal...like "look, this is not common, so you need to know this character we have is gay".

Gay people don't go walking while screaming "I'M GAY"...ffs you don't even know if a person is gay or not untill he/she says it. That's why I hated Cortez. He was SO GAY stereotyped sice the 1st fucking moment...and if you are cool with him he tries to bang you... And that's why I liked Traynor. I tried to bang her as my male shep and she said "he he he, I'm into OTHER things"....I liked that "oh...shit sorry I didn't meant to..." moment you would have in real life.

They won't back down on this, thankfully. It happens with every single one of their games and either they or EA come out and say that they don't care if people don't buy it because of LGBT characters, because it's something that they believe in etc.

Good. Just so we are clear my anger is towards the crazed fans not Bioware. It must be infuriating.

BibiMaghoo

Wait, I apologize; I don't really follow. What do you mean by "option of being gay"?

You can chose who your character 'romances', so if you make a character of one sex, you can choose their sexuality based on who you choose to romance. Hence, the 'option' should you wish it.

In DA2, the romance options were "playersexual". The male ones were gay if you were male and straight if you were a female, and vice versa for the female romances. I guess so you could get with anybody that tickled your fancy regardless of orientation.

I'm not gay so I don't know the asnwer.....but I'm sure Gay people don't like when a company like Bioware makes to "have a gay character" a big deal...like "look, this is not common, so you need to know this character we have is gay"..

But... But Bioware didn't... At least in this case, they didn't.

freelevel

Banned
So you think gay players are complaining about the lack of gay characters just so it's something to complain about? Because they'll "never be happy or get along"
Do you hear straight men arguing over the types of straight male representation in games?
OSxpG79.gif

Nope. I'm talking about people in general. I've gotten to the point in my life where it's all sickening to be honest. I just treat people how I'd like to be treated and leave the others to gnash and gnaw on one another.

Some would say that's selfish. That even if you try to treat others well, you are obligated to attempt to change the cultural values. I disagree.

IvorB

I was getting ready to curse Bioware for making another wack gay character but he's actually alright:

270px-Dorian.png

Could be viable for romance. I hope he's a warrior class.

I'm not gay so I don't know the asnwer.....but I'm sure Gay people don't like when a company like Bioware makes to "have a gay character" a big deal...like "look, this is not common, so you need to know this character we have is gay".

Gay people don't go walking while screaming "I'M GAY"...ffs you don't even know if a person is gay or not untill he/she says it.
Bioware didn't make it a big deal, other sites did.
Bioware slipped character sexualities into their character portfolios, and somehow that turned into a "press release" according to other gaming news sites.
Good. Just so we are clear my anger is towards the crazed fans not Bioware. It must be infuriating.
Agreed. It seems to be Bioware that gets it the worst, unfortunately.
Does that mean they stopped doing everyone is bisexual character in DA/ME games ?
Not sure about ME, but yes for DA - a lot of them are still bisexual, but some are exclusively straight/gay/lesbian.

I have never remembered Bioware making a big deal out of their potential gay romances. Ever. We're going all the way back to Juhani here. It almost always comes out naturally.

Also, I have no idea why you guys are bagging on Deathshead when they clearly meant 'tired of it coming up for no reason', like it did here.

freelevel

Banned
I think he's talking about IGN talking about Bioware making a "press release" on one of their podcast and they were saying "why even bother doing that" etc.

So he's probably reacting to that. It's typical that IGN creates drama and is full of uninformed social justice editors

I'm just tired of all the toxicity from stuff like this and that topics are abused by certain people as you mention.

TakeShad

Banned
I'm gay and I don't care about any of this. If somebody starts talking about sexuality types in a way that suggests something extraordinary, I immediately stop listening.

freelevel

Banned
I was getting ready to curse Bioware for making another wack gay character but he's actually alright:

270px-Dorian.png

Could be viable for romance. I hope he's a warrior class.

That soul patch almost looks like it was etch-a-sketched on to the model. :(

You can chose who your character 'romances', so if you make a character of one sex, you can choose their sexuality based on who you choose to romance. Hence, the 'option' should you wish it.
In DA2, the romance options were "playersexual". The male ones were gay if you were male and straight if you were a female, and vice versa for the female romances. I guess so you could get with anybody that tickled your fancy regardless of orientation.
Aaah. Well in this case, I think the biggest difference is that straight player characters can't romance them.

They should skip pandering with any sort of romantic option at all and just have it so anyone who the main character has a romantic interest in has a tragic accident before it can develop at all.

Daverid

I still hold that Dethmold from The Witcher 2 is still the most well written Homosexual in Video Games.

Why? You don't even know he's a homosexual unless you really, really pick it or go with Roche in Act 3 and see him with his "partner" (Naturally among other things like: Organic dialogue, Ambition, Personality, Depth etc). I have a number of homosexual friends and you wouldn't in a million years guess they're gay unless you hung out with them enough to actually start to notice certain little things they do/say.

My problem with BioWare is that they announce these Characters like as if the Character being gay is something they should be proud of, or completely defines who that character is. How about writing a GOOD character, and then through additional skillful writing adding the subtleties to the character and some people pick up on it, some people don't?
That's rhetorical. They can't.

Serrato

I think the main problem isn't that he is gay, is that Gay is a character trait. Being ''gay'' isn't a Personallity Trait... contrary to what some people thinks.

Bioware at least acknowledges that it is 'ok' to be attracted to the same gender. They write sci-fi/fantasy based games filled to the brim with characters that feel alive in their own world.

It is the problem with the low iq individuals around us that can not comprehend that being gay is not something to be punished about. It just as much a normal thing these days in plenty of countries, in comparison to just being attracted to another gender.

Blame the twitter morons to actually feel offended by Bioware for them putting in gay characters.

I'll agree that being gay isn't something worthy of punishment, but there isn't a country on the planet where being gay is "just as much a normal thing" as being straight unless you mean something along the lines of acceptance.

Jarate

Banned
I think it's just in general people looking to complain about Bioware. Therir 3 most recent games have been dreadful (DA2, ME3, SWOTOR) and Bioware has had one of the most loyal and vocal fanbases in gaming.

I think that if they announced this character as a 4 armed lizard people would complain about furry pandering. Not to say it's justified in any case, but the fact that they are advertising that there is a gay character, instead of the gameplay may make people very scared about DA:I

Top Bottom