• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hulu Plus - What newer anime should I be watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Sailor Moon Crystal has got me back in the anime mode after years away.

The list of anime series on Hulu Plus is daunting, especially newer shows since I've been ignoring the shows for like 5-6 years. So I'm asking AnimeGAF* for assistance.

What shows are worthwhile? Help me GAF. You're my only hope! ^_^

* Try your best to be positive. I know every show has it's detractors.

The Monogatari series is excellent. There's a lot of dialogue but it stays pretty interesting throughout and can get genuinely funny at points. I'm a big fan of the art direction in the series as well-- it's very good looking.

mjc

Attack on Titan is good stuff, I think the Japanese voice actors get a bit annoying though. Way too screechy with the yelling. I might check out Steinsgate.

Attack on Titan is the obvious answer, so go for that.

No Game No Life is good and just ended.

Kill la Kill.

If you haven't seen it then an easy one for people getting back into anime is Death Note.

And, not the newest, but Gurren Lagann.

Attack on Titan is good stuff, I think the Japanese voice actors get a bit annoying though. Way too screechy with the yelling. I might check out Steinsgate.

Being screechy is still better than Titan dub. I've made my distaste for dubs known, but that one is above and beyond in the terrible department.

Ninjimbo

I don't know what they have, but if they have Ping Pong or Chihayafuru, get on those.

The other recommendations in this thread are solid too.

Jex

I believe a list of all the anime titles on Hulu exists, but I don't have it. Without that list I couldn't really start to create a list of recommendations.

Jex

Well, to avoid being overly negative, I'll just list the shows I'd recommend watching.

I'm going to talk about old and new shows because I have no idea what great older anime you may have missed:

(I started writing descriptions for each show but gave up when I saw the size of the library. Every show on my list should be watched, eventually. I've underlined the must-watch now titles)

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water - a Gainax classic from the creators of Evangelion. Just don't watch episodes 23 - 36.

Patlabor: The TV Series/OVA - You won't watch this, but I'll list it anyway.

RahXephon - Because why not?

Death Note - Ever popular. Rather silly at times but highly entertaining.

Noragami - best BONES show in some time.

Gurren Lagann - An obvious choice. The super robot series.

Attack on Titan - Because you will anyway. This is one of the most flawed shows on my list but a lot (and I mean a lot) of people seem to love it anyway so who am I to judge.

Black Lagoon - 80's/90's asian action movies, if they were combined into a TV series staring mercenaries living on an island filled with criminals.

Code Breaker - An extremely competent shounen action series with super powered dudes fighting other dudes.

FMA: Brothehood or just FMA - I'd say FMA is by far the better show, but I don't have the energy to argue about it. Either one is good.

Nana
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Samurai Champloo
Eureka Seven
Mushi-Shi
Moribito
Wolf's Rain
Fate/Zero
Natsume
Baccano!
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Princess Tutu
Madoka
Ping Pong
Birdy The Mighty Decode
Tatami Galaxy
Vampire Pricess Miyu
Serial Experiments Lain
Silver Spoon
Bunny Drop
The Skullman
Gunslinger Girl
Gankutsuou
Kino's Journey
Haibane Renmei
Tsuritama
The Rose of Versailles
The Flowers of Evil
Macross Plus
Brother Dear Brother
Space Adventure Cobra

There. If you finish this list off (might take a year, or less, depends on your free time) or if you'd like further advice or reasoning on any of the shows listed above either find me or like minded people over in AnimeGAF in the Communities for Off-Topic or PM me with a specific request and I'll be happy to make you a custom list based off preference, genre, previously seen works etc.

remnant

Banned
I just watched the new SM episode (It was good) and i have to say I'm shocked at how well Hulu treats anime now. I haven't used Hulu in years but last time I did the anime selection was paltry.

Jex

I just watched the new SM episode (It was good) and i have to say I'm shocked at how well Hulu treats anime now. I haven't used Hulu in years but last time I did the anime selection was paltry.

It's pretty great right now. Literally dozens of awesome shows.

Veitsev

Log Horizon does a great job at world building and has fun and interesting characters. Give it a shot if you enjoyed playing MMO's.

Attack on Titan is the obvious answer, so go for that.

No Game No Life is good and just ended.

Kill la Kill.

If you haven't seen it then an easy one for people getting back into anime is Death Note.

And, not the newest, but Gurren Lagann.

Being screechy is still better than Titan dub. I've made my distaste for dubs known, but that one is above and beyond in the terrible department.
The Titan dub honestly isn't that bad. It may have its spots but I think both suffer from over-shouting/screaming syndrome from time to time, which is something I can easily look over.

I mean, if you want a dub that actually legit suck, I've seen much worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom