• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists invent material that reflects [NEARLY] no light

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ial-so-dark-that-you-cant-see-it-9602504.html

rRHbxae.jpg

26o3M4w.jpg

GWKs20l.jpg

Toxi

Banned
This seems incredibly useful for a number of things that people wouldn't expect. I certainly wasn't thinking telescopes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The material conducts heat seven and a half times more effectively than copper and has 10 times the tensile strength of steel.
I would think so, jesus christ, my first thought was wondering just what the thermal properties of this are

It's just so black!
Just imagine the possible weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, where a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done something.

TUSR

Banned
99.965% isn't 100%

what compounds is it made off

The nanotube material, named Vantablack, has been grown on sheets of aluminium foil by the Newhaven-based company. While the sheets may be crumpled into miniature hills and valleys, this landscape disappears on areas covered by it.

The nanotube material, named Vantablack, has been grown on sheets of aluminium foil by the Newhaven-based company. While the sheets may be crumpled into miniature hills and valleys, this landscape disappears on areas covered by it.

Ah I see

extremely thin carbon nanotubes
made of carbon nanotubes – each 10,000 times thinner than a human hair – is an odd experience. It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing. Shapes and contours are lost, leaving nothing but an apparent abyss.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Well I know what I'M going as for Halloween!

11.jpg

Space... I'm going as Space.

:lol

Glad I wasn't the only one to think of this.

Also it looks incredibly fake in the photos, like someone went in paint and just went mad with black. I'd love to see it in person.

Well duh it looks fake, it isn't reflecting enough light to see any detail.

Koodo

Banned
A damn mess when you realize the black areas are just like the rest of the aluminium foil, but it's so dark that the texture cannot be seen.

I'm frightened a bit.

A damn mess when you realize the black areas are just like the rest of the aluminium foil, but it's so dark that the texture cannot be seen.

I'm frightened a bit.

oh ohhh OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

and here I was thinking they just placed whatever that was over the foil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom