• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello GAF, I want to steal from a library

neoemonk

Am I a terrible person if I check it out of the library and then report it as lost? I'm sure the fee they charge me will be less than what the game will actually cost. I'm a terrible person for even thinking about this, right?

You son of a bitch
...Just play it and beat it. I know the game is super expensive and all but libraries need your help man!

Krejlooc

Banned
You'll wind up with a copy with shit all over the box and disc. poor collector's condition.

EDIT: And the game is readily available at gamestop for like $40. So yes, this is pretty bad behavior. It's quite literally stealing.

darthbob

Am I a terrible person if I check it out of the library and then report it as lost? I'm sure the fee they charge me will be less than what the game will actually cost. I'm a terrible person for even thinking about this, right?

Don't be a dick.

Yeah, that would make you a terrible person. And stealing from a public library is stealing from tax payers.

sn00zer

The fuck is wrong with you?

It's not even that expensive anymore is it?

If it was a copy of Magical Chase for Turbografx maybe you'd have a point, but metroid prime trilogy? shouldn't this topic be closed, because it's asking if you should break the law?

My local GameStop has a dozen copies. I'll gladly ship one to you at my cost.

And yes, many libraries have games. My local library is adding tools and outdoor gear too. :)

I just checked and eight different GameStops within a ten mile radius have it in stock.

Ferrio

Banned
Here's a story for you op:

At my school library there was a copy of Dune Encyclopedia. It was an awesome book for any Dune fan, and I wanted it myself. I came very close to claiming it was lost and keeping it. My morals got the better of me, and I turned it in and figured I'd obtain a copy of my own. Turns out that book was super super rare, and I've never been able to get an original copy. I regret that decision ever since.

edit: Seems you can get it on amazon though now!

neoemonk

Yeah, that would make you a terrible person. And stealing from a public library is stealing from tax payers.

Well, I'd be paying them the replacement fee so I don't know if it's stealing. And I can clearly see what portion of my property taxes goes to the library annually. I am one of the tax payers in this instance.

Laconic

Banned
My local library has Metroid Prime Trilogy too.

My local, personal, games library. In my study. Sitting right next to me. This very second.

Krejlooc

Banned
MPT goes for a lot more than $50 these days

I just, like 10 minutes ago, saw a stack of them at gamestop for $40 each. This is the second gamestop I've seen with a ton of them in stock in like a month.

The game isn't rare anymore. They have more shipments. It's actually one of the most overstocked wii games at any given gamestop. the collector's edition is still uncommon (not rare), but given that this dude is about to steal from a library, I doubt he's looking for collector's items.

And since when is a high price a justification for stealing?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Stealing from libraries makes you a garbage human being. Please don't.

- gaf librarian representative.

Settin

Don't be an ass, just pay the money for one of the copies from gamestop.

Well, I'd be paying them the replacement fee so I don't know if it's stealing. And I can clearly see what portion of my property taxes goes to the library annually. I am one of the tax payers in this instance.

Hang on. Your logic is that since you pay taxes you feel that you are entitled to steal from the library? Wow. You are a terrible person. Just go to a GameStop and buy the game.

Are you tag fishing or are you actually that bad of a person?

Alucrid

Banned

don't be human garbage, don't steal from a fucking library

You sound like you're trying to justify it. That should be a red flag.

My advice? Don't be a dick. Simple advice for all life situations. This is not complicated or morally grey. You know the right thing to do here. Just do it.

Vamphuntr

Stealing from a library is quite low. If people keep stealing the interesting and rare games it will only encourage them to not carry games anymore.

well i guess it isn't really stealing if you pay them what they charge if its lost, but at the same time it's not really moral or good to do.

Top Bottom