• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Reconsiders Original Programming Strategy for Xbox, wants to focus on games

manual4

Banned
The tech giant made headlines Thursday with plans to layoff as many as 18,000 employees following its recent $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia’s phones business. Industry sources say that newly appointed CEO Satya Nadella is taking a hard look at all of the company’s operations and is questioning the plan to produce a broad slate of original series for Xbox platforms.

Microsoft recruited former CBS exec Nancy Tellem (pictured) in the fall of 2012 to lead the Santa Monica-based Xbox Studios division, which was tasked with developing programming based in part on Microsoft vidgame properties such as “Halo.” Sources say Nadella is looking to focus the company’s resources and energies into its core software, Internet and vidgame businesses.

It’s unclear what the shift will mean for Tellem’s role at the company. “Halo,” the first major project spearheaded by the division, is far along in negotiations for a pickup at Showtime in a shared window with Xbox. That project, co-produced with Amblin TV, is expected to continue with Microsoft’s backing.

http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...nal-programming-strategy-for-xbox-1201263982/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm all for resources being allocated for first party but... I really wanted to see that Spielberg Halo TV series :x Hope it does indeed continue uninterrupted.

Sounds like the sort of thing I could see them doing but I also think they should put some programmes out before they decide on that, would be a short-sighted move to do it before they've properly put some stuff out

More original programming would have been interesting, but would that have really enticed people to purchase an Xbox just for original content?

I can't really imagine someone who doesn't really enjoy videogames or the other uses of the Xbox saying "I can't wait to watch show x and show y once I buy my Xbox!"

RE_Player

Obviously the jobs effected have my sympathies but the whole original programming push was a horrible idea and a waste of money. Hope they use those resources for literally anything else.

Meier

Yeah, the whole exclusive to the system thing is a non-starter. Smart idea to get it on Showtime too -- it's a huge property that should be successful. Seems more likely to drive sales if you cast a wider net.

Sounds like the sort of thing I could see them doing but I also think they should put some programmes out before they decide on that, would be a short-sighted move to do it before they've properly put some stuff out

They should have started small. The Halo project used as a testing ground would have been smart.

CmhyMD2.jpg

Lionheart

Smart! I don't think enough people would have considered paying for them when there's so much competition from major established players like Netflix, Amazon and all that offer subscription services with so much content.

Having a game related series like Halo is smart though to reach a broader audience for the games as well.

statham

New boss, new vision.

The TV stuff was too much for a console that costs $500, once the console is under $300 and you have 30+million users, maybe at that time they should look at it.

mclem

My take-away from this:

Variety uses "Vidgames" unironically.

Does this throw a spanner in the works for the Quantum Break plans?

Alx

Custom TV content for the Xbox isn't the part of their strategy that appealed the most to me, but it was certainly the most intriguing. Actually I still don't quite understand where they intend(ed?) to go with that. Is the street soccer show with Henry and Davids part of that ? I started watching it, and while it's not bad, I don't get why it's a dedicated app rather than just free content available through Xbox Video.

_woLf

While I know some people would enjoy the TV content, I definitely agree with the CEO that the focus is better put elsewhere.

Original programming just seems like a waste given you have to own an X1 to get the most out of it. Probably better off just funneling it into games and trying to create the next big thing. Probably more in it for them that way.

rrc1594

All these changes , this is not the Box you showed me MS.

Good put them towards games. I still want the Halo show keep that.

Salex_

Sounds good. I hope they continue to focus on their 1st party studios so people can feel unconcerned about the future exclusive output.

Related question: When do you guys think we'll hear about those "secret studios"? I remember reading something about that before E3.

Steel

Banned
So they're firing a bunch of people, a lot of those people happen to be from the T.V. side of Xbox, and they're going to spin it as being good for the gaming side. Right.

But original T.V. series based on games was a pretty pointless venture anyway.

Bsigg12

All these changes , this is not the Box you showed me MS.

Good put them towards games. I still want the Halo show keep that.

New CEO and new Head of Xbox. Their ideas of what the Xbox One should be are very different from what Ballmer and Mattrick had in mind.

So they're firing a bunch of people, a lot of those people happen to be from the T.V. side of Xbox, and they're going to spin it as being good for the gaming side. Right.

But original T.V. series based on games was a pretty pointless venture anyway.

agreed, that is what movies are for

rrc1594

Sounds good. I hope they continue to focus on their 1st party studios so people can feel unconcerned about the future exclusive output.

Related question: When do you guys think we'll hear about those "secret studios"? I remember reading something about that before E3.

Don't know. I hate how the gaming industry likes keep everything a secret

oti

Banned
You can't "win the living room" with a $400 machine and no original content. Maybe the whole Xbox multimedia "ecosystem" isn't as powerful as it should be by now for them (how should I know) but they need original content for the fight against Amazon, Netflix, Sony etc. Maybe they don't want that fight anymore, that could be their reasoning here. That would really surprise me, but who knows. With the huge restructuring many things can happen.

Top Bottom