• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Killing - The fourth and final season - Exclusively on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Cancelled after its second season, revived by AMC and Netflix for a third, cancelled again, then revived again, The Killing returns, this time exclusively, on Netflix for its fourth and final (really!) season. All six episodes of the new season will be made available at once beginning August 1, 2014.

As per usual with Netflix series, all episode discussion will be spoiler tagged and appropriately labelled for the first two weeks.

The season will feature detectives Sarah Linden and Stephen Holder handling the fallout of their actions from the previous season while investigating the murder of a family whose only survivor is a member of an all-boys military academy.

Cast

• Detective Sarah Linden - The stakes are even higher for Detective Linden as she and Holder deal with the fallout from their rash actions at the end of last season, and are immediately confronted with a new, grisly murder investigation.
  • Detective Stephen Holder - Detective Holder is even more conflicted than we’ve seen him in the past. As he struggles with more responsibility in his personal life, he and Linden are assigned a critical new murder investigation while covering up their own actions from the end of last season.
  • Colonel Margaret Rayne - The head of an all-boys military academy based outside of Seattle, Margaret O’Neal is a woman in a man’s world and proud of it. But beneath her rigid exterior is a deeply buried maternal instinct, which she projects onto the troubled boys at the academy she is charged with molding into men. Her school, its legacy and students are all she has, and she will defend them at any cost.

• Kyle Stansbury - Kyle Stansbury, the black sheep of a wealthy, well-connected family, is the sole survivor of his family’s brutal massacre. He’s a gentle soul who’s been battered most of his life by the viciously competitive, dog-eat-dog world of Seattle’s best and brightest.
  • AJ Fielding - A charismatic, over-achieving, attractive student, AJ attends the same Academy as Kyle, where he thrives and is regarded as a leader and success story by the students and administrators.
  • Lincoln Knopf - Lincoln is a deeply troubled boy who wears his anger and instability on his sleeve. He has a specific hatred toward women — anger that seems as though it may erupt at any moment.

Videos

Season 4 teaser
Season 4 trailer
Recap of the first three seasons

Promo Photos and Posters

RTk9avr.jpg
R0PU8Ku.jpg

GIFS

jrOcuGF.gif

QDtPs9G.gif

JcOpy1s.gif

That last gif should be the final moment of the show before it fades to black.

anyway, I'm so glad we can marathon this instantly. Bless netflix.

It's only 6 episodes? Weird.
II'm trying to remember the last three seasons. The first two were the murder, right? The third was the new case with the guy on death row? And this one is new too?

It's only 6 episodes? Weird.
II'm trying to remember the last three seasons. The first two were the murder, right? The third was the new case with the guy on death row? And this one is new too?

It's a new murder, but it starts right from where S3 left off
just after Linden kills her boss
. So I imagine there's some overlap in the story with S3.

joesmokey

Interested to see how they finally end this. I'm glad we can marathon everything on day one, as that is the only way this show is semi-tolerable. I will miss the atmosphere of this show when everything is over.

Denton

I kinda disliked this show, but I always liked Holder and the actor playing him, and then third season was kinda good for the most part, so I am pretty excited about the last one.
Super happy it is 6 episodes and all at once, I will marathon the shit out of this.

Tugatrix

I'm ready for some more dark photography, intense characters and Holderism

I think this thread should have been named "the Kenny of the TV Show"

mf.luder

I got a question. I stopped following this show after S1. I saw 1 or 2 episodes from S2 but that's it. I tried to pick it up again in S2 but was completely lost and it felt like an entirely new show. With all those faces in the OP, it seems like everything has changed.

What's the deal?

Tugatrix

I got a question. I stopped following this show after S1. I saw 1 or 2 episodes from S2 but that's it. I tried to pick it up again in S2 but was completely lost and it felt like an entirely new show. With all those faces in the OP, it seems like everything has changed.

What's the deal?

Watch season 3 it's amazing and is only a season story no need to see the previous. I fear that you won't get the situation at the beginning of season 4

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

What's the deal?

Seasons 1 and 2 share the same cast, whereas everyone in season 3 is new besides the two leads. Same thing with 4, where everyone is new except Linden and Holder.

mf.luder

So Rosie's story wraps up at the end of S2? Okay, I'll start at S3 then. I just started watching Suits and currently don't need a new show but will keep it in mind.

Saty

Didn't endure 3 seasons not to watch the last (for good). Being only 6 episodes will make a brisk. Lets see if the show is still addicted to the notion of the twist above all.

Seasons 1 and 2 share the same cast, whereas everyone in season 3 is new besides the two leads. Same thing with 4, where everyone is new except Linden and Holder.

Doesn't Detective Carl Reddick (Holder's old/new partner) return in S4? I thought I saw him in the pre-release materials.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Doesn't Detective Carl Reddick (Holder's old/new partner) return in S4? I thought I saw him in the pre-release materials.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen any of the trailers and the official S4 website consists of a single picture and trailer. It would make sense if he came back though.

I really wish Netflix would put up Forbrydelsen in the US. The original Wallander and even Annika Bengtzon are available, so why not.

The BBC did an amazing job of subtitling it, so I suppose it's a price/licensing thing? They did a good job with Salamander (originally from Belgium) and Borgen(Danish political drama from the makers of the Killing/Forbrydelsen) too, but I'm not sure if they're available on Netflix cause I'm not subscribed to it - their library is fucking awful outside of the US :(

The BBC did an amazing job of subtitling it, so I suppose it's a price/licensing thing? They did a good job with Salamander (originally from Belgium) and Borgen(Danish political drama from the makers of the Killing/Forbrydelsen) too, but I'm not sure if they're available on Netflix cause I'm not subscribed to it - their library is fucking awful outside of the US :(

Yeah unfortunately no Borgen or Salamander. I hear Borgen is good. Netflix US does a decent job of supplying moody international mystery shows like Spiral (Engrenages), The Returned (Les Revenants) and even movies like Headhunters (Hodejegerne) and the original Dragon Tattoo series. I guess they do well for binge-watching.

I really did not like the third season. Hope this is better.

Still one of the best written crime shows I've seen come out of the US. The fact that heavily inspired by European crime shows is pretty apparent, though.

Tugatrix

Still one of the best written crime shows I've seen come out of the US. The fact that heavily inspired by European crime shows is pretty apparent, though.

Apart from Rosie case the influence is residual, very thin

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
About spoilers how will things be in this topic?

From the OP:

As per usual with Netflix series, all episode discussion will be spoiler tagged and appropriately labelled for the first two weeks.

Any shows to compare The Killing to? I've heard good things but never gave it a watch

Top of the Lake

What about it did you not like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom