• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me test Twitch Plays Robot

jillytot

I've been working on a project i am currently calling "Twitch Plays Robot". Basically it's like Twitch plays pokemon, except instead of a video game, you are controlling robots in the real world.

I've been taking them to various locations such as game dev offices, or Comic-Con. I also have a dungeon made out of cardboard at home where i set up quests and achievements or do other activities like taping a marker to the robot and letting people draw.

I have 2 robots, and today i am in my friend's living room. I haven't really tried too hard to get users yet, the robots haven't been online long, but i'd like to open it up to more users.

Low latency Stream test:
http://letsrobot.tv/stream.html (Still requires twitch chat).

You can access the first robot here:
http://www.twitch.tv/aylobot
Controls are:
forward
back
left
right
echo

and you can access the second bot here:
http://letsrobot.tv/stream.html (Testing new private video server, so the layout isn't as fancy as twitch.
Controls are:
forward
back
left
right
open
close

And now some images:

aylobot:
feets.jpg-large

ninabot:
ninabot.jpg

drawing day(aylobot's POV:
Screen%20Shot%202014-07-09%20at%201.48.11%20PM.png

What were they drawing? ...
BsIns6dCEAAziyn.jpg

Playing robot soccer:
Bs25qkxCIAEtNLu.jpg

Adventuring in the maze!
BravrI2CYAEHYwO.jpg

Obviously the robots can't be live all the time, but i try to do the show weekdays at 1pm PST (I think that's California time).

You can follow us on twitter for moar updates:
https://twitter.com/AyloGames

Things are super early, so stuff won't be ideal, but feedback is appreciated!

Should be a fun way to kill time. Currently trying out the Aylobot one. Takes forever and a half for a command to register(I assume the day will improve some day), but it still holds my interest. Definitely will be more entertaining once more people join in on the fun me thinks.

jillytot

Should be a fun way to kill time. Currently trying out the Aylobot one. Takes forever and a half for a command to register(I assume the day will improve some day), but it still holds my interest. Definitely will be more entertaining once more people join in on the fun me thinks.

Sadly the delay is from twitch. There is no way around that yet : X
Yes i would love more players, hence my posting here : D
Glad you think it's cool! Thanks so much!

For the love of god, never give them lasers.

lol. Lasers would just be inviting trouble. Especially if a bug appeared before the camera.

Let's make them kill each other.

#TeamNinabot

#TeamAylobot

Sadly the delay is from twitch. There is no way around that yet : X
Yes i would love more players, hence my posting here : D
Glad you think it's cool! Thanks so much!

Ah, gotcha. Hopefully the a decrease in the delay will be announced as one of the many features awesome Google will implement once they acquire Twitch.

And no problem. I'm sure many people will enjoy playing this. Especially if we have death matches between the robots(that'd be so cool).

jillytot

lol. Lasers would just be inviting trouble. Especially if a bug appeared before the camera.

And no problem. I'm sure many people will enjoy playing this. Especially if we have death matches between the robots(that'd be so cool).

Or maybe just a laser pointer, so you can tease cats.

Man, imagine this bot, but with a filter that made it look like black/white/kind of brown, similar to those pictures from the Mars Rover. Then add bigger wheels and a theme park like Mars. Bam, Twitch goes to Mars. Even the delay would be a feature, like the lag between the input from Earth to Mars. It would be awesome.

jillytot

Awesome, breakdown of how you assembled it would be great if you can. I'm assuming you're using piborg to handle the instructions for the car.

The pi is actually connected to a parallax propeller board via serial. I also have it working with an arduino for some secondary functions which aren't online yet. I will probably make a post about it once the components and things become more solidified. Things are really haphazard at the moment.

jillytot

You should mount LED lights on the robots.

ninabot has an RGB LED ring around the camera, each light is addressable though not hooked up to twitch just yet. I wanted to get the HUD stuff working first. Edit: Both bots will have them eventually.

KyleCross

Sadly if you plan to make this a regular thing you're gonna need to figure out someway of incorporating video games into it or else Twitch can shut it down for being non-gaming content.

The pi is actually connected to a parallax propeller board via serial. I also have it working with an arduino for some secondary functions which aren't online yet. I will probably make a post about it once the components and things become more solidified. Things are really haphazard at the moment.

boss

jillytot

Sadly if you plan to make this a regular thing you're gonna need to figure out someway of incorporating video games into it or else Twitch can shut it down for being non-gaming content.

Well if doing online mass co-op isn't enough to qualify as game related, today we are visiting Lab Zero Games, creators of Skull Girls. They were kind enough to hide some steam access codes around the office.

Come check it out : D

This idea would be amazing if it were all-terrain.

Plopped down in the middle of a Kansas field. Everyone decides to try to make it to California.

Mr_Elysia

She said she'll give hitbox a look but that twitch has the larger presence, of course, and a well known, better documented API.

jillytot

Any word on switching steaming sites? The delay really takes away from the experience.

Other streaming options aren't out of the question, but twitch is definitely the most accessible platform for this, both from a development standpoint and a user standpoint. I do want to also allow a better service, but right now the goal is to just keep things stable. If we get enough support, i am sure doing more in the future won't be a problem.

Top Bottom