• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Jesus |OT| Aaron McGruder‘s new series for Adult Swim - Thursdays 11/10c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

iCeL3wZuEvAco.png

Based McGruder. Will DVR the shit out of it and watch solo...the wife didn't seem too jazzed for it, but she wasn't a Boondocks fan anyway.

Ugh. I was going to give it a try again, but I'll pass on that for a long ass while.
Just watch episodes 5, 7, and 10. They're the best of the lot (I honestly did not find them to be that bad at all).

On another note, they need to drop that Angela Nissel chick from the writing staff if in fact they're doing a new season. She wrote the worst episodes in Season 4, she does not deserve to write any more.

The one after that was like a punch in the dick.
Ep 5 was "Freedom Ride or Die", that was one of the better episodes. You're probably thinking of the Kardashian episode, that's Ep. 6. Tied w/ 2 as the worst of the lot, naturally.

NastyBook

*SDCC Comic Con video playing, rewinds to watch Kali Hawk sit down again*
So thirsty all of a sudden...

EDIT: Forgot to sub this thread.

TheOddOne

Series premiere today:
Season 1: episode 1 "Smokin', Drinkin', and Chillin'"

Black Jesus and his gang fail at trying to score some good weed. To make matters worse Black Jesus gets detained by police and questioned.
Reviews:
- Variety:
That said, this live-action series from “The Boondocks'” Aaron McGruder and director Mike Clattenburg is also disarmingly and pretty consistently funny, buoyed by Gerald “Slink” Johnson’s portrayal of You Know Who. Strictly in comedy terms, the road to Hell has been paved with a lot worse shows than this.
- NY Times:
But as you’d expect from Mr. McGruder (working with the Canadian writer and director Mike Clattenburg of “Trailer Park Boys”), it’s pretty funny if you give it some time. Slink Johnson, an imposing actor with a suitably beatific expression, plays Black Jesus, who may be the son of God or may just be a big-talking con man with an unusual game. The show’s central joke is that these two options aren’t all that different.

Mesousa

Banned
It's just too bad that the whole freedom of speech thing exists!

Maybe Saudi Arabia would be a better fit for them.

Praise Black Jesus!

Yeah...I mean fuck those black people for being upset yet another stereotypical racist black comedy is being pushed by a mainstream media network right?

Back when the NAACP was a thing a successful boycott was able to ice a much less offensive film(porgy and bess). So sad we will embrace even worse stereotypes now.

No doubt this will be subpar like every other Aaron McGruder production. Will watch the first episode for educational purposes though.

ISOM

Yeah...I mean fuck those black people for being upset yet another stereotypical racist black comedy is being pushed by a mainstream media network right?

Back when the NAACP was a thing a successful boycott was able to ice a much less offensive film(porgy and bess). So sad we will embrace even worse stereotypes now.

No doubt this will be subpar like every other Aaron McGruder production. Will watch the first episode for educational purposes though.

I agree with everything you said but won't even watch the first episode.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll watch it before I judge it. Some of you NEED Jesus.

Ah, so this is the show that was getting some Christians fired up.

Pastor David A. Rodgers, a conservative Christian pastor in Illinois reportedly sent a message to Turner Broadcasting, the company behind Adult Swim that said,

“We, the Christian Community are vehemently opposed and violently offended at this upcoming program. There is no way that this show would be aimed at the Jewish or Muslim community. We are demanding an IMMEDIATE retraction of this show and a PUBLIC APOLOGY to the Christian Community at large.”

One Million Moms, a conservative Christian activist organization, is none too happy with the show. The group has called for a boycott of the show and its advertisers, blasting “Black Jesus” for making a “mockery of our Lord.” They write on their website,

“The foul language used in the trailer, including using the Lord’s name in vain, is disgusting. In addition, there is violence, gunfire and other inappropriate gestures which completely misrepresent Jesus. This is blasphemy!”

The first episode of season 4 was so bad that I didn't even watch the later episodes.

i know, i was watching it waiting for it to get better and it never did. Black Jesus looks dope tho. the old promo skit they did awhile back was funny as hell. just read the OP and saw it has talent from Trailer Park Boys and The Boondocks, this sounds too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom