• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rabi Laby is the most underrated series on the 3DS!

Camjo-Z

So I was checking out the new releases on eShop the other day, and I came across some game called Rabi Laby 3. It looked kinda like App Store shovelware based on the art style, but I was feeling somewhat adventurous (and had some leftover eShop credit in my account) so I decided to try out the first game in the series for DSiWare.

iblfbbaOhp1580.jpg

You play as this girl named Alice and her pet rabbit Rabi, and you have to get through a whole lotta puzzle-filled rooms to make your way back home after accidentally falling into Wonderland. To do this, you have to get Alice to the door at the end of each level, but aside from her ability to open locks with keys she's pretty useless on her own. Luckily you can switch between her and Rabi, who has a higher jump, can let Alice bounce on her head, and self-destruct to break blocks. Beating the levels requires you to make use of all of these powers, along with the various stage gimmicks you come across. (Also, while all this is happening on the top screen, the duo will have some hints and/or comedic banter on the bottom screen in some unintentionally amusing Engrish.)

i2zJVMQTvpd4W.jpg

The puzzles start off pretty simple but get pretty clever as you go through, and some stages really require you to manipulate the game's mechanics in interesting ways. One of my favorites was a level where Rabi is on a conveyor belt that keeps moving her towards keys, but Alice has to walk on a floor made of locks - if she opens one, she'll drop into some spikes. You have to keep moving Rabi backwards to avoid keys while making strategic jumps with Alice.

There's 50 levels, and the two sequels (the former of which is also DSiWare, and the latter on 3DSWare) each have another 50 levels. They also add a much appreciated hint system that essentially gives you a walkthrough of the stage if you're totally stumped, but you have to collect coins in the levels to be able to use them. The third game even lets you watch a video demo of the stage being played if you die somewhere around 10 times, and will eventually let you skip the stage entirely if you truly can't beat it.

ibhEvnaydN2u07.jpg

There's also a spin-off called Witch's Cat that came out before the third game. Instead of having two characters, you play as one girl who can use magic spells and transform into a cat (which basically functions like Rabi). The spells let you do things like light torches, freeze blocks and enemies, pull things to you with lightning, and destroy blocks with meteors that cause chain-reactions. It's an interesting twist, but... I don't really like it as much. It feels like the Crashmo to Rabi Laby's Pushmo. The puzzles get ridiculously hard early on, you're not given much instruction on how to use the new mechanics, and for some reason they dropped the extremely useful hint system from RL2. It's exclusively for those who want an even bigger challenge than the other three games can provide (which is already pretty steep!)

iikmmxJk4eXrY.jpg

Bottom line is: if you like puzzle platformers, you totally need to try this series out. Most of the games cost $5, but for whatever reason Rabi Laby 2 is only $1.99. The overarching storyline doesn't matter at all, so it's definitely worth checking that one out first if you're on the fence.

bon

I've been playing these since the first one came out on DSi. They get really tricky. Definitely recommended for puzzle platformer fans.

maxcriden

It's that good, huh? I heard of it for the first time this week. Good looking out, Camjo! Thanks man, I'll have to check it out!

I've been playing these since the first one came out on DSi. They get really tricky. Definitely recommended for puzzle platformer fans.
Same and same. Some of the puzzles have made my thinking goo hurt and the new one actually starts off a little harder too.

Hmm, looks fairly fun actually and thats a solid recommendation, i have some eShop credit sitting there. Depending on which mega man game they add tomorrow i may pick this up. Its certainly on my radar now.

daydream

Banned
I've been meaning to buy the first one since I first read recommendations for it on GAF. Guess now's as good a time as any since they're really exceptionally affordable and I have some funds left.

rjc571

Banned
It really is an outstanding series. It's an amazing testament to the depth of the mechanics, how the puzzles in all three main entries feel so fresh and unique even though the games are mechanically identical.

One thing you neglected to mention are the time trials, which give the game a ton of replay value. They almost feel like a separate game by themself, since getting the platinum medals often requires you to rethink your strategy entirely, as well as fine-tune it to perfection. Speaking of which, Rabi Laby 2 and 3 give you brand new stages to complete by collecting all 50 platinums, so there's plenty of incentive to play them. The third game also had online leaderboards for overall time in Japan, but this feature sadly didn't make the cut in the US.

Sorry you didn't like Witch's Cat. If you take the time to understand the mechanics, I'm sure you'll find it's every bit as brilliant as the main series.

Camjo-Z

One thing you neglected to mention are the time trials, which give the game a ton of replay value. They almost feel like a separate game by themself, since getting the platinum medals often requires you to rethink your strategy entirely, as well as fine-tune it to perfection. Speaking of which, Rabi Laby 2 and 3 give you brand new stages to complete by collecting all 50 platinums, so there's plenty of incentive to play them.
Yeah, I totally forgot about those. I didn't know there were extra levels for doing them, looks like I have even more to do...

That reminds me though, I also like how some of the puzzles can be beaten in simple and speedy ways if you're smart. I played one level in RL3 where I thought "wow, that seemed strangely easy compared to the previous ones..." only to watch the video demo afterwards and discover that you're supposed to do it in a completely different (and more difficult) way.

Sorry you didn't like Witch's Cat. If you take the time to understand the mechanics, I'm sure you'll find it's every bit as brilliant as the main series.

It's not bad by any means, but I think it does a poor job of easing you into things, especially considering the spells and cat ability give you a lot more options on what to do in the stages compared to the more straightforward abilities of Alice and Rabi.

maxcriden

It really is an outstanding series. It's an amazing testament to the depth of the mechanics, how the puzzles in all three main entries feel so fresh and unique even though the games are mechanically identical.

One thing you neglected to mention are the time trials, which give the game a ton of replay value. They almost feel like a separate game by themself, since getting the platinum medals often requires you to rethink your strategy entirely, as well as fine-tune it to perfection. Speaking of which, Rabi Laby 2 and 3 give you brand new stages to complete by collecting all 50 platinums, so there's plenty of incentive to play them. The third game also had online leaderboards for overall time in Japan, but this feature sadly didn't make the cut in the US.

Holy crap, the RJC seal of approval, too. Now I really have to check this out.

I had this split second of confusion where I thought the title said "Rabbi Lady," which struck me as a somewhat... odd premise for a 3DS game.

Game looks good, OP. Might check it out.

starmud

i really enjoyed the first game in the series, i havent tried the second and just bought the third. i will have to check out witches cat, never knew it was from the same people...

well worth the price, if i remember the first two are $2 on the eshop?

only complaint is that certain stages can become frustration station :3

n64coder

Thanks for creating this thread. I bought Rabi Laby 2 for $1.99 since I wasn't sure if I would like it and I'm hooked.

Very clever game. The platforming parts can be very challenging at times.

I have not received a single platinum medal. On a couple of boards, I thought I went as fast as humanly possible but I guess not. Is the margin of error for platinum really small?

rjc571

Banned
Thanks for creating this thread. I bought Rabi Laby 2 for $1.99 since I wasn't sure if I would like it and I'm hooked.

Very clever game. The platforming parts can be very challenging at times.

I have not received a single platinum medal. On a couple of boards, I thought I went as fast as humanly possible but I guess not. Is the margin of error for platinum really small?

It depends, some levels have really strict timing, other levels may require you to do something unexpected to save time. For instance, in level 2-1, instead of using Rabi's exploding ability so you can drop the hat far enough onto the spikes so that Alice can easily jump on it, try dropping it onto the end of the spikes and have Rabi run into the spikes to push the hat a little bit further up. You should then be able to jump onto the hat as Alice (with Rabi on her head), while taking far less time than you took using the "obvious" method.

Top Bottom