• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra blog: Why I've Said Goodbye to Mobile in Favor of PC

Sendou

Gamasutra.com

I wanted to share this for a few reasons. First it's a pretty good story and offers some good insight on what's it like making mobile games on a certain period of time and trying to make ends meet. Secondly it's about a developer that moved away from making mobile games. Usually you hear about the opposite. In any case I recommend giving it a read. It's long but I feel it's worth it. As always sorry if old.

I spent hundreds of thousands on making high-quality mobile games in a booming market that went largely unnoticed. I spent years of my life making games, but never the games I actually wanted to make. Here are the important takeaways from my experience:

1) People always say “Write what you love”. I didn’t. I wrote what I thought others would like. I wrote what I thought would sell. I’m poorer for it.

2) I don’t like casual games. I don’t play them. They bore me. I think I made it to the 4th level on Angry Birds, and about 12 floors in "my" Tiny Tower. I love sophisticated war games with tons of menus. I love RPGs filled with stats. I love FPS like Far Cry and Battlefield. I love highly competitive RTS games like Starcraft II. In short, I love PC games. What the hell am I doing making games for a platform I don’t use myself? Write for what you love.

3) Yesterday 304 apps were released in the App Store. I didn’t bother counting, but about half of them look to be games. 152 fresh new dreams went on sale. How many of those will hit the top 100? Probably 0. How many of those will be profitable? Probably 0. How many will cover their costs? Probably 0. But here is the real kicker: tomorrow, 152 NEW dreams will go on sale. Today's will be old and discarded, for you only make the new lists the day you launch. Apple boasts about hitting 1 million apps. That is about the worst number a developer could hear. It means 999,999 other people are competing with me for a customer’s attention and wallet.

4) There are 100 winners and 999,900 losers in the App Store. Each month the media spend (banner ads, ad words, intercessionals, facebook ads, free apps) for attention keeps climbing. The trend isn’t headed down. The trend isn’t even for costs to stay the same. The trend is that the cost of customer acquisition keeps climbing, from $1 to $2 and change now, to soon $3 per install. Casual players don’t read review sites, or follow Facebook sites, or read developer blogs, or watch threads on Touch Arcade. They are casual! This isn’t an important part of their life!

5) The average casual game app store player has NO brand loyalty. The casual player loves THAT GAME ONLY, for some reason they don’t care what else the developer has made. This is completely backwards from other businesses. Music: people follow an artist. Movies: people follow an actor or director. Cars: people follow a manufacturer if not a specific model. The casual player who likes FarmVille doesn’t care Zynga made something else, they like FarmVille. It is next to impossible to make a business in an environment of no brand loyalty. Every win of a customer requires you to re-win them on the next sale, as if they were a stranger. Look at how Zynga lost big on Draw Something. All those customers didn’t leave Draw Something to other Zynga games like they hoped, they just left to something new and shiny in the store. One of the 152 new daily dreams.

6) The cost of making an app continues to increase. I remember when I first installed Flight Control on my new iPhone. I was thrilled. If that game came out now? No one would pay attention to it. Graphics are too simple, too basic. No multiplayer to rope in your friends, no in app purchase. The cost of being status quo with graphics keeps rising. But the selling price of games? Still $1. Even though costs have doubled to make a game, they still sell for $1. This is lunacy!

7) Casual gamers don’t love games, they love distraction. Distract them from waiting, distract them from their surroundings, distract them from their lives. This is what they pay for if they can’t get it for free. And when it comes to distraction, quality doesn’t matter anymore. All that matters is fast in and fast out to kill the time. Well I’m not going to put my heart & soul into making something that could be just as easily replaced by reading celebrity gossip in Us Weekly.

Kouriozan

And now people want to get their games cheaper and cheaper, one of the side effect.
At the moment I'm having trouble finding games I would like, there is simply too much and even mobile games websites/reviews can't cover everything.

Dascu

I think Nintendo learned some of these lessons the hard way during and after the DS/Wii lifecycle. A casual audience is not a reliable consumerbase.

Faustek

Seen a few threads where people are complaining about iaps but when presented with a choice where they can buy the same game, for a few bucks. They refuse to actually buy it and keep on shitting on all the CD's these f2p games have put in place.

I seriously think these games are shit but known what is even shitier? Those gamers.

Buy the game ffs don't whine that the f2p version is a f2p version instead if the complete experience.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I read this yesterday. He makes valuable points about the mobile market, but if you read through the story there his primary reasons for failing were overspending on development, working with weak publishers, supporting too many small platforms/distribution channels, and developing average games in a competitive market. Those factors are problems whatever platforms you are developing for, so hopefully he recognizes that even though his summary doesn't imply it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think Nintendo learned some of these lessons the hard way during and after the DS/Wii lifecycle. A casual audience is not a reliable consumerbase.

This is said so often, but it seems the bigger picture is that Nintendo wasn't the right company to keep up with the audience they lucked into. They don't make iPhones. They didn't have a product line to compete with the rise of modern mobile/tablets and keep the same customers on a Nintendo-branded device.

That said, it seems to be true that mobile centers around a race to the bottom to keep up with the "distraction" audience and mainstream persons who don't see what they're doing as really playing games.

Sandfox

It makes little to no sense to make a mobile game these days unless you have an already established brand/company that people know, and as stated in the article, having a hit mobile game doesn't even seem to help your brand.

If i were to ever put together a team to help me with a game, I would go PC for sure.

JordanN

Banned
6) The cost of making an app continues to increase. I remember when I first installed Flight Control on my new iPhone. I was thrilled. If that game came out now? No one would pay attention to it. Graphics are too simple, too basic. No multiplayer to rope in your friends, no in app purchase. The cost of being status quo with graphics keeps rising. But the selling price of games? Still $1. Even though costs have doubled to make a game, they still sell for $1. This is lunacy!

Lol, what kind of graphics are people expecting on a mobile at $1? I doubt the fidelity to handle a mid tier PS3/360 game is even there.

It's either 2D flash stuff or Dreamcast era polygons with shinier shaders.

Seanspeed

Banned
#7 is exactly right. These people aren't 'gamers'. And anybody who uses some stat to show how many people play video games to justify how mainstream 'gaming' is nowadays is being dishonest with themselves.

It seems like such a ridiculous market and I don't know why anybody bothers. Come to PC everybody, where competition is still difficult, but at least people give a shit about you and appreciate a good gaming experience.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Lol, what kind of graphics are people expecting on a mobile at $1? I doubt the fidelity to handle a mid tier PS3/360 game is even there.

It's either 2D flash stuff or Dreamcast era polygons with shinier shaders.

infinity%20blade%202.jpg

Jimrpg

He makes good points. But I don't think he will find the PC market any easier, hardcore gamers are even more demanding and pay less.

evangd007

#5 is why I laugh at every IPO for a casual game company. A company with a popular game didn't crack the code for making a successful mobile game; they got lucky.

Jimrpg

Two characters on screen, made by a dev with AAA experience, sold for $7. And it still looks worse than PS3/360.

But better than the 3ds.

Haven't seen a single kid with a 3DS lately. Which is weird because ten years ago kids had game boys. Everyone has a mobile. The parents are ok to give it to them to play too. The games are cheaper and they don't really care what games they give their kids. Disappointing all round really.

ME TOO they said

Didn't work out, did it?

Even when angry birds was the new thing it was already too late to start making a game for mobile (unless you won the lottery and your game got picked out of the tens of thousands of ME TOOs)

mobile is the future
facebook is the future

Chasing after a market of fickle casuals who will move on when they see the next shiny distraction, and chasing after it after everyone and their dog has decided to chase it too, what could possibly go wrong.
I took great joy in reading that article (I feel bad for his friend though), I'm glad the developer in this case has at least learned something.

edit: He probably hasn't actually: unless he makes a real standout game he is in for a nasty surprise when he discovers what steam greenlight has become ^^
He is already late to the party and is going to burn himself really hard unless he has the talent to make anyone notice him among the avalanche of greenlight shovelware (much of which are mobile ports)

7) Casual gamers don’t love games, they love distraction. Distract them from waiting, distract them from their surroundings, distract them from their lives. This is what they pay for if they can’t get it for free. And when it comes to distraction, quality doesn’t matter anymore. All that matters is fast in and fast out to kill the time. Well I’m not going to put my heart & soul into making something that could be just as easily replaced by reading celebrity gossip in Us Weekly.

A market of distractions is the perfect way to describe mobile gaming. Mobile gaming itself isn't inherently bad, but it's been latched onto by a leech and it will continue to bloat until the host dies, and like a parasite they will jump onto the next biggest thing without hesitation.

Arkage

Banned
I read this yesterday. He makes valuable points about the mobile market, but if you read through the story there his primary reasons for failing were overspending on development, working with weak publishers, supporting too many small platforms/distribution channels, and developing average games in a competitive market. Those factors are problems whatever platforms you are developing for, so hopefully he recognizes that even though his summary doesn't imply it.

I don't believe these are factors to the same extent on other platforms, which was his point. He specifically highlights that the mobile arena can get 150+ new games in one day. I don't know of a single other platform that has this much saturation of (likely) average games. There are still average games on consoles but they have a fighting chance since they aren't swamped with hundreds of other average competitors daily. Steam also seems to be falling victim to overwhelming numbers of average games, at least in terms of greenlight games, as Jim Sterling continually points out.

But better than the 3ds.

Haven't seen a single kid with a 3DS lately. Which is weird because ten years ago kids had game boys. Everyone has a mobile. The parents are ok to give it to them to play too. The games are cheaper and they don't really care what games they give their kids. Disappointing all round really.

I see em from time to time. Still sad though. D;

Ogawa-san

I agree with his points, but about #3: indies on PC are about the same deal. Almost all of them counting on luck and lots of word of mouth to get enough attention to even hope to be profitable. And plenty of discarded new dreams.

Edit:
There is a place where the average game sells for $20 and they are happy to pay it.
(...)
It’s called Indie PC/Mac/Linux/Console game development. And the target audience calls themselves “gamers”.
Yeah, it's going to be a rude awakening.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So the author just stated the obvious?

I have to agree with you. It's all up to the individual as well. Nothing wrong with the opinion either.

I'm also loving these kinds of pieces and just seeing PC, once again, become a giant. It's been happening but this renaissance is great to see and be a part of on PC.

#7 is a huge point that many people don't seem to grasp.

So many "mobile gamers" don't care one bit about the games themselves. They just want something free and disposable to eat up their time. If it's something popular and trendy at the moment, all the better, but they don't care what it is specifically.

Griss

A damn good look at chasing a gold rush that has already been mined almost bone dry, with the big companies having the richest veins on lock and everyone else essentially buying lottery tickets.

He covers almost all the reasons I dislike mobile gaming and the rush to mobile development.

This quote from the article is the ultimate reality of developing for mobile for most people:

After about 45 minutes, and some tears being shed, I tried to see what could be done. There was nothing to be done, the software company was in jeopardy and couldn’t sustain Mirthwerx. The dream was dead. And now I had to lay off my friend.

I went to his house and told him the news. He sat quietly and stared at the floor. He asked a few questions. I told him we could pay him until the end of the year (2 months) and then that was it. He needed to find a new job.

Tsung was in anguish. His livelihood was being taken away and he had a wife and three little girls to support. I didn’t say anything. There was nothing I could say.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I don't believe these are factors to the same extent on other platforms, which was his point. He specifically highlights that the mobile arena can get 150+ new games in one day. I don't know of a single other platform that has this much saturation of (likely) average games. There are still average games on consoles but they have a fighting chance since they aren't swamped with hundreds of other average competitors daily. Steam also seems to be falling victim to overwhelming numbers of average games, at least in terms of greenlight games, as Jim Sterling continually points out.

My point was not that there aren't real mobile challenges, but that he spends half the article talking about problems he doesn't even address in his conclusions and forward looking strategy. And they are indeed real problems that will have consequences on other platforms.

Plus he says specifically he'll be distributing on Steam without any word of caution so I suspect he'll be in for a shock on the reality of that marketplace too.

It's not like you have so much better of a chance to make money with an indie game on PC either. But if it makes him happy then good for him.

rpmurphy

The publisher-developer relationship he described is so whack. Is this what the mobile environment is? Marketing houses that take a big cut from the game sales, putting in ridiculous demands in return for no financial support for the additional development? Is publishing a mobile game so complicated and so desired that people put up with this garbage?

Seanspeed

Banned
He makes good points. But I don't think he will find the PC market any easier, hardcore gamers are even more demanding and pay less.
Not true at all. Enthusiast(hate the term 'hardcore') gamers may be demanding, but they are certainly more willing to pay money than mobile 'gamers' are. Maybe not quite as much as console gamers, but you're out of your mind if you think PC gamers are anything like mobile gamers when it comes to value standards.

At least on PC, generally, if you make a genuinely good game, it has a fair chance. And you don't have to feel pressured to sell it for $1 to be competitive on price.

Not true at all. Enthusiast(hate the term 'hardcore') gamers may be demanding, but they are certainly more willing to pay money than mobile 'gamers' are. Maybe not quite as much as console gamers, but you're out of your mind if you think PC gamers are anything like mobile gamers when it comes to value standards.

At least on PC, generally, if you make a genuinely good game, it has a fair chance. And you don't have to feel pressured to sell it for $1 to be competitive on price.

Yes and no. There's plenty of great ones that get lost just as easy, and the audience, while vastly more loyal, is also demanding.

That said, both systems will be fine in the long run. It's about the best choice for a developer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Enthusiast eh? Taking a page from my book!

BPoole

I hope more talented Devs stop wasting their time with shitty mobile games and start making games elsewhere. Leave mobile games to the people who want to make interactive scams

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The publisher-developer relationship he described is so whack. Is this what the mobile environment is? Marketing houses that take a big cut from the game sales, putting in ridiculous demands in return for no financial support for the additional development? Is publishing a mobile game so complicated and so desired that people put up with this garbage?

The publishing landscape is like the Wild West as everybody has a different approach so there aren't standard deal terms, and having a publisher behind a title is certainly no guarantee of success. Most developers don't uses publishers though.

In this instance he and the people they were working with seemed to make fundamental mistakes. For example, his second app doesn't even appear in the iTunes search results when you search on its name.

Almighty

The PC game he is working on Archmage Rises sounds interesting at least. I dunno if he will find success on the PC, but he probably has a better chance then he did in the Mobile market.

Gsnap

Point number 7 is spot on. People seem to not like making the distinction between "casual" and "hardcore", but let's face it. It's real. Just because somebody has put dozens (or hundreds) of hours into some mobile game doesn't mean they're a "hardcore" now. They're just a consumer. And not one that you can rely on.

Tagyhag

It's not like you have so much better of a chance to make money with an indie game on PC either. But if it makes him happy then good for him.

If his game is great, it will sell. PC indie games rely a lot on word of mouth and if your game is worth it, it will receive it. Lots of games are coming to Steam but at least it's not mobile numbers.

Dambrosi

Banned
dUOmVSN.png

One Million Apps.
Wow.
Oh dude. Too soon.

On topic, the guy certainly has a better chance of making a profit on PC over mobile. It's just a different kind of audience. We may be seeing Greenlight getting flooded with RPG Maker dross, half-baked scamware and mobile dreck, but how many of those games actually make an impact beyond Greenlight itself?

Yeah, the "____ Simulator 201*" fad has gone on too long, and there are far too many "YouTube horror" games out now to count, not to mention the obvious scam-games like Day One: Garry's Incident, Revelations 2012 and Earth: Year 2066, but the worst offenders are righteously slapped down into the abyss of shovelware as they deserve by the likes of Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit, and long may they continue to do so.

One thing I don't agree with is #7, which smacks of Internet snobbery to me; true, they're not enthusiasts like us, but they're still "gamers". It's just that they're a different kind of gamer, with different priorities and preferences, and no fanboy loyalty whatsoever. Both a good and bad thing, that; as much as it makes making a sustained profit from your wares harder, it also means that they'll drop mobile gaming like a molten hot Wii once the next shiny thing comes along.

That next shiny thing is taking its sweet time to appear, is all, and we did just recover from the worst recession in living memory, so give it time. And then, that new shiny thing will be lauded by clickbait hacks as "the future of gaming" and they'll be just as wrong this time as they were last time, and the time before that.

That's not to say that video games as we know them will not evolve with the times, as they always have. Maybe Oculus Rift will be the next big step forward, but probably not - pioneers never prosper (ask Nintendo), and there'll be something better and more user-friendly along to iterate on its successes while casting its failures aside. Maybe hard-light holography, sometime in the distant future. Or maybe we'll just use them both for porn, like we did the last big step forward in information technology. Hell, maybe interactive porn will be the New Gaming that replaces mobile IAP drivel, and maybe it will be shunned and derided by enthusiasts like us just as viciously.

...er, what were we on about? Oh, oh yeah. Good luck to this guy in the PC space. He'll need it.

Skelter

Banned
May I ask which country? The only place I've actually seen 3ds's out in the open is Hawaii, and only because of the large number of Japanese tourists.

I see them all the time in New York. I have all but the megaman street pass puzzle finished even. Hell I get challenged to random pokemon battles while on the E train to the city,

Nemecyst

A damn good look at chasing a gold rush that has already been mined almost bone dry, with the big companies having the richest veins on lock and everyone else essentially buying lottery tickets.

Let's just hope people figure this out one day.

M3d10n

#7 is a huge point that many people don't seem to grasp.

So many "mobile gamers" don't care one bit about the games themselves. They just want something free and disposable to eat up their time. If it's something popular and trendy at the moment, all the better, but they don't care what it is specifically.

Yep. That's why mobile gaming development centric articles, websites and seminars are filled with terms like "onboarding", "user" (instead of "player"), "acquisition", "churn", "ARPU", "DAU", "MAU" and others: getting people to download your game and keep playing it is a gruesome endless battle where simply having a fun game is far from being enough. The top dogs spend crazy figures in marketing, far exceeding the development costs. Supercell spends $1M a day in marketing for Clash of Clans, a game everybody knows and that's entrenched in the top of the rankings at Apple, but that will fade out from everybody's minds if they don't.

Jimrpg

OK, but I do think its not as easy as he makes it out to be. It sounds like he was saying, on mobile you get one or two days of notice, and then people pass up your game for the latest shiny thing. While that is true, you can say the same for your PC games, but maybe you have a couple of months to get some traction. There's always new games coming out and he will always be fighting to get people's attention.

That's what I meant by the PC crowd not being easier. If PC was easier to make money, that's where all devs would be.

On a different note, something else I've noticed is that unless you're a free game nobody is going to download it. This shows that its not the game they are interested in, they just want to download something that is free.

I was surprised that the Roller Coaster Tycoon game was $3 and had built in iAPs as part of the gameplay. Then I realized that Atari was being really greedy and trying to nickel and dime its existing fanbase who were willing to shell out the $3 and get them to buy first. The game I'm sure will be free when people stop buying and then it will be just iAPs.

Yep. That's why mobile gaming development centric articles, websites and seminars are filled with terms like "onboarding", "user" (instead of "player"), "acquisition", "churn", "ARPU", "DAU", "MAU" and others: getting people to download your game and keep playing it is a gruesome endless battle where simply having a fun game is far from being enough. The top dogs spend crazy figures in marketing, far exceeding the development costs. Supercell spends $1M a day in marketing for Clash of Clans, a game everybody knows and that's entrenched in the top of the rankings at Apple, but that will fade out from everybody's minds if they don't.
I have a few friends that aren't gamers but play stuff on their phones, specifically Candy Crush. I'll try to recommend other puzzle games, ones that have the same types of mechanics, and they look at me like I just suggested enrolling in advanced calculus.

This guy is just one of many other mobile devs shifting over to PC and PS4/Bone to a lesser degree. The small studio I work for has made a similar move over the last year for almost entirely the same reasons, but this took a lot of back and forth with our investors to happen (selling way better on Steam than iOS helped). I think a reason there are still so many decent developers stuck on mobile is because of short-sighted investors fixated on ancient trends and desperately trying to be the next Angry Birds, which is apparently possible just based on being mobile games lol

low-G

Bottom will fall out of mobile in a few years when pretty much no one can make money. All those developers will have nowhere to go, since they're already at the bottom rung. The news media will say that games are crashing, but this time all the actual people that want to play games will be on consoles & PC.

Top Bottom