• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 Gamescom Stream (Create Mode Shown Off)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
For those of you that missed it, there's was a juicy LittleBigPlanet 3 stream during Gamescom earlier today. In it, they gave us our first in depth covered a lot of new tools. Please note that my screen grabs are from a stream and had to be turned into Jpegs so that this page didn't take 40MBs to load. If you want some slightly cleaner images, I've got untouched PNGs here.

Here is where the LBP segment starts in the stream: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/557987029?t=176m

Here's where the in-game footage starts: http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/557987029?t=177m32s

And here's where the show really gets going: www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/557987029?t=180m

EDIT: Youtube version of the Create Mode demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePLtSxYgUGw

i7M7vd3bVMxk5.jpg

First they cover the new depth of the game, what with having 16 layers (5 and a bit times more than any other LittleBigPlanet title), showing a basket-ball court that actually has depth along the Z-axis.

One of the new tools is called a Layer Launcher, and it looks and acts similarly to a bounce pad, but instead of just sending the player up and down, it sends them across layers. You can edit the arc really easily and pinpoint exactly where you want the launcher to send your character. From a glance at the tool options, it seems as though you can also limit how much air contol the character has after being launched. Seems like a great tool for those who like making Rube Goldberg Machine-esque levels.

They then showed slides, which are another way of sending the player through multiple layers. I'm not exactly clear on how you make them, but an interesting note is that the cardboard walls on either side of the slide are angled as well, so it seems that even beyond gameplay utility, we'll be able to make angled materials in the z-axis for aesthetic purposes, something that was never possible before.

They then move on to showing another tool for moving the player (and other things) through layers, the "Bendy Rail". The Bendy Rail is a wire structure that you're able to flex around and through objects and layers. It sounds like it's got a lot of viable functions, and they describe it as the best way to make a rollercoaster level (LBP Rollercoaster Tycoon?). You can attach a "Rail Hook" (basically a caster wheel) to the rail and it will travel along the length of the Bendy Rail at whatever speed you set it to. You can also change the "hook motion" from motorized to (I'm assuming) not motorized.

After riding the rail for a bit (and leading a poor Oddsock to its doom) they show off another potential function of the Bendy Rail, which is to easily draw movement paths for NPCs/Enemies/Objects in the world. By setting the rail to be invisible, it just looks like these Sackbots are flying through the air.

They then move on to show how you can edit character movements and change between characters. They go about editing Toggle's controls to quickly give him/her the ability to fly, and then dress him/her as a gorgeous cheerleader.

Also showcased in this section is a new and pretty awesome tool called the Animation Tweaker, which gives you a lot more control over how a character looks when doing things (for instance, when making Toggle fly, they gave him/her animations as though he/she was "swag" walking underwater). They used a "Character change gate" to change from Sackboy to the edited Toggle, and gracefully swam through the air to the next part of the level, changing back to Sackboy.

They then showed off how the DualShock 4's touchpad is integrated. You can use it to for things like navigating the pop-it menu, or moving objects/sticker around as well as resizing and rotating them with different touch gestures. Perhaps the coolest feature of all is that the sticker creator/painter from the PlayStation Move pack is in LBP3, and while it was previously only functional with the PS Move controller, it can now be used with the DualShock 4 touchpad.

They then move on to a really really cool new feature, the Power-up Creator. It essentially gives players the ability to build power-ups that are of the same quality as the Grappling hook or Paintinator or any of those. The Pumpinator from the E3 reveal (hairdryer looking thing that blew air) was made with the Power-up Creator. Someone is going to make the perfect Gravity Gun. It works with a new creation tool called a Blaster Handle, and whatever you stick it on can be placed in Sackboy's hand (possibly elsewhere as well, if they want to enable players to make hat-like power-ups and whatnot). From there, you sort out your logic and make sure everything works however its supposed to, and then you save it, stick it in a custom power-up pedestal, and voila, you've got a custom-crafted power up.

im46UxGzvvWOz.jpg

ZwzA4gy.gif

*gif borrowed from LBP Central

He uses the new "Drillinator" to drill rocks until they explode, freeing up his path to show off another custom power-up, which is really cool. It's called the "Ballooninator" and it makes use of a new feature that lets you resize decorations and stickers and stuff through logic and whatnot. Using that, it lets you inflate a balloon object to let Sackboy jump higher and much further, and knock objects out of the way with sudden inflation. And it's completely custom made.

The last custom power-up he showed was a giant fork which can spawn a piece of chicken onto it's tines to lure a large alligator-looking Oddsock sackbot over to a mechanism, activating it.

From there, they jump through a portal that takes them to the end of the create mode demonstration.

There's also a demo level with OddSock a little afterwards, which shows off some straightforward gameplay, though there's less to find create wise. The whole thing is worth watching though, especially if you don't know much about what the LBP community has done.

Here are a few extra things I noticed, but weren't brought up:

There were some pedestals during the demo that displayed floating wrenches. I'm not sure what they did, but when Sackboy walked through them, he appeared to change his costume.

Another interesting thing to see that I don't believe they mentioned, was the fact that some materials in the foreground go from being transparent to being solid as the player moves from the background to the foreground with his slide. Because they don't cover it, it's not clear whether that is automated or player controlled, but given that it's LBP, I think its a fair bet that the player will have some control.

One other neat thing, it appears that you can switch between preview view (objects toggled to be invisible are invisible) and normal create mode view without having to go into the start menu. This occurs several times during the stream.

And lastly, they briefly scroll across the tools section of the create mode pop-it, and here's what I could grab. The red stuff outlined is new and unexplained (however, I haven't played LittleBigPlanet Vita, so if something here is something from there, call me on it). New stuff that can be named has been named.

So check out the stream, and speculate about all the sweet new tools we're getting in LBP3. There's a lot to love here.

JMUNoosty

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads up OP. This game is looking really good so far. Might not be a day 1 for me but will pick it up down the road for PS4.

shink

I saw the stream last night. The 16 layers really gives the levels so much more depth.
Excited to see what people come up with.

netguy503

I preordered this at gamestop the day the preorders where announced. They said the plushie, dlc, and "day one" edtion was not in their system yet so they don't know if they are getting it. Should I be worried or is this still too early?

I preordered this at gamestop the day the preorders where announced. They said the plushie, dlc, and "day one" edtion was not in their system yet so they don't know if they are getting it. Should I be worried or is this still too early?

Maybe they're not unique editions, just the game and the other stuff is first come first serve?

SerTapTap

Still sounding cool. Heh that cheerleader toggle. LBP doesn't get enough praise for making a character that can be male female or neutral entirely based on what the player does with it/your imagination. All the new characters do that perfectly too (maybe a bit better with the gender neutral names)

i ordered this the day the plushie was annouced, it wasn't in gamestop's system. If I don't get one, I'll be really disappointed.

I ordered on Amazon day one, we get the plushie, right? I know it sucks but still

Creaking

Still sounding cool. Heh that cheerleader toggle. LBP doesn't get enough praise for making a character that can be male female or neutral entirely based on what the player does with it/your imagination. All the new characters do that perfectly too (maybe a bit better with the gender neutral names)

I ordered on Amazon day one, we get the plushie, right? I know it sucks but still

Yeah, they kind of engrained the whole Sackboy thing early on, and nowadays whenever you play the game, your character is called Sackthing or maybe Sackperson.

And yeah, every retailer that has a preorder bonus also gets the plushie, except for the digital preorder on PSN.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nice to see what's under the hood and what kind of stuff can be expected. Makes me feel better about the game instead of it just being exactly the same.

Creaking

Are they doing anything to leverage the extra power from the PS4?

Higher resolution, better textures, probably a more stable framerate. Their new thermometer system seems to have expanded limitations on both platforms quite a bit.

Drencrom

Now that the game has 16 layers, does that mean you can move 'freely' in the Z-axis without being forced into a layer?

Creaking

Also, there was something I lightly touched on in the create demo before it switched to Oddsock. Look at how Sackboy is running between layers ;)

Hope y'all enjoyed the stream :)

Ah, I might have missed that. I watched the full thing the first time around, but to get good screengrabs, I watched it through a media player, and it was so unstable that it'd crash every 2 to 3 minutes. When it got to the end of the create mode presentation, I just called it good and finished the thread.

Thanks for the link, OP. Game is definitely one of my most anticipated titles for the rest of the year. Looking forward to see amazing levels from the community that uses these tools in non-conventional ways.

Although I wonder how would the handling of the levels be done. Would the levels be separated into PS3 only levels and PS4 only levels? (Due to the power difference in consoles). Haven't really followed much of the news regarding this game.

Creaking

Thanks for the link, OP. Game is definitely one of my most anticipated titles for the rest of the year. Looking forward to see amazing levels from the community that uses these tools in non-conventional ways.

Although I wonder how would the handling of the levels be done. Would the levels be separated into PS3 only levels and PS4 only levels? (Due to the power difference in consoles). Haven't really followed much of the news regarding this game.

From what I've heard, levels will be cross-compatible. The PS4's biggest power boosts are in graphic fidelity and that sort of thing. PS3 can play PS4 levels and PS4 can play PS3 levels.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thanks for outlining the video OP, can't watch it right now so it's good to get the info.

I was honestly kind of sceptical of what more they would/could add in terms of tools in a third game, but the bendy rail and power up creator are very clever and very winsome. I love the multi-(ab)use nature of the bendy rail, like the best of LBP tools. Enthusiasm++

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Also, there was something I lightly touched on in the create demo before it switched to Oddsock. Look at how Sackboy is running between layers ;)

Hope y'all enjoyed the stream :)
woah

i4WvTQv.gif

you sneaky bastard :p

Does this have vita off screen support for tool selection? or at least on the phone app..

it would be amazing and a lot more faster and fluid that way.

We still have lots more to show in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled ^^

woah

i4WvTQv.gif

you sneaky bastard :p
It was something I wanted to get in last minute :p

Yeah that's Donkey Show's work. Robots or crabs... it's gonna be his.

EDIT: Beaten by the man himself...
Haha I was super close to putting a crab in at the end xD

But yeah, all that stuff I showed and even the last little bit is all done with the new tools we've added to create mode :) So yeah, the core layer switching mechanic is still in, but with a little bit of logic, you can make them move like that and then some ;)

rodrigofglima

Neo Member
From what I've heard, levels will be cross-compatible. The PS4's biggest power boosts are in graphic fidelity and that sort of thing. PS3 can play PS4 levels and PS4 can play PS3 levels.

And the "Touch Pad" parts? Can PS3 set to recognize that part to work automatically? Or the creator would have to program this part to have two options for each platform?

Nev

Banned
Terrible, anti-fun jump physics, sloppy framerate (if the videos are from the PS4 version then wow), ugly new characters (more creepy than cute).

They should've made a completely new game with a full 3D option, built from the ground for the PS4, at 60fps and without shitty jumps, fuck the old levels, seriously. What a waste of the number 3.

The three layers barely worked with the awful LBP1&2 physics, 16 sounds very scary.

Is that free control between the layers? So actual 3D plane? It looks like it, would be much better

Dragon

Banned
Terrible, anti-fun jump physics, sloppy framerate (if the videos are from the PS4 version then wow), ugly new characters (more creepy than cute).

They should've made a completely new game with a full 3D option, built from the ground for the PS4, at 60fps and without shitty jumps, fuck the old levels, seriously. What a waste of the number 3.

Is this something that could actually be done?

Creaking

And the "Touch Pad" parts? Can PS3 set to recognize that part to work automatically? Or the creator would have to program this part to have two options for each platform?

I'm not sure. I went back to the part of the stream where they were tweaking Toggle's controls through a controlinator, and there does appear to be some kind of useable input at the center of the controller, which wouldn't be the PS button or Options or Share, since those are all restricted. Good grief is now in the pause menu, so maybe the select button can be used as a new input now. The touchpad wouldn't be able to use swiping and all that, but it could still function as the same button input as select.

Hanmik

I have played all LBP games.. love them all.. I don´t see why they should change the basics of the game.. many gamers love this series.

Creaking

I have played all LBP games.. love them all.. I don´t see why they should change the basics of the game.. many gamers love this series.

Yep. LittleBigPlanet has an identity. This is it, and it's getting better with each installment.

LBP community is so big as they have made 8.5+ million levels so far and its great to access those in the new game which has even better graphics. I love this game and this old levels access and I'm sure many others who are part of the community do which sold more than 4million copies+ each game so many people love the game and everything it do. If you don't like then just skip the game and don't bash the game for everything, this game is meant to be enjoyable for kids and family to have fun not a hardcore game with realistic physics.

I agree and 4million+ people who bought first two games each and made those 8.5million+ levels so far. I hate to see the comments about its physics. Everything in the game made so much fun in co-op to me and my friends without a problem about its physics or jumps.

Thanks very much for this. LBP Vita was worth playing just based on the community levels alone, so I'm sure it'll be the same for this. It's honestly amazing the creativity of some people and what they'll come up with.

The three layers barely worked with the awful LBP1&2 physics, 16 sounds very scary.

Is that free control between the layers? So actual 3D plane? It looks like it, would be much better

It could be layers and 3D plane too. We've seen some free control in the trailer so far.

taku

LBP is and has always been super cute. Alas, I cannot get over the feel of the physics. Did they ever implement a physics slider for create mode?

Top Bottom