• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3: Your gameplay/design wishlist?

Orayn

In a recent thread on the possibility of another Dark Souls game, a lot of people seemed to think that the series' critical and financial success made it all but guaranteed.

So let's take the next logical step: If we get a new Dark Souls game, what direction do you want From Software to take it in?

Example questions to get you started...

• A straight iteration?
  • Remixing ideas from other Souls games like Dark Souls II kind of did?
  • A "lateral" move that maintains a similar feel but doesn't keep more of the old design than it needs to?
  • More connected/online elements? Less?
  • More of a continuous Metroid/Castlevania world, or a non-linear series of semi-linear levels?
  • The return of silly weightless ragdolls?
In the interest of not having 90% of the responses consist of only "A-Team," "Miyazaki," or "(Platform) exclusive lol," please assume this is a current-gen multiplatform game that's being developed by all of your favorite From Software personnel.

Discuss!

I didn't want to be the first post with it but Bloodborne looks a hell of a lot like a new Dark Souls game to me.

I certainly didn't want to be either.

All I can say is I wanna see how Bloodborne turns out, before I think about another Dark Souls. Especially when I liked both Dark Souls less than Demon's.

Orayn

Wait wha? Link pls. You mean to say there's a possibility of another Souls game unrelated to Bloodborne?

Here. It was just a speculation/theoretical thread like this one, but there's no reason to assume they won't do it.

I see no need for another Dark Souls.

Bloodborne is essentially that game.

It is and it isn't. The core of the series is definitely there, but the fact that it's an exclusive, a new IP, and making some major mechanical changes makes me view it more as the Shadow Tower to Dark Souls' King's Field, or one of the various branches in the complicated family tree of the Legend of Heroes/Dragon Slayer series.

Mechazawa

I didn't want to be the first post with it but Bloodborne looks a hell of a lot like a new Dark Souls game to me.

Dark Souls is still going to keep being made.

Possibly with a lot of design influences from Bloodborne eventually funneling back into Dark Souls the same way a lot of Chromehound stuff eventually made it's way into AC:V/V-Day.

playXray

Just like Dark Souls but in a completely new land. The only real change I'd make is to move away from the level design towards the end of Dark Souls where everything was divided up into pre and post Anor Londo. In a ideal world, the whole thing would be linked up just like the first half of Dark Souls is.

Kieli

Get rid of the Soul Memory system. Garbage system.

Also, get rid of the agility stat. It's also equally as horrid. For a game like the Souls series, one should (rightfully) expect solid consistency with respect to the game systems and controls.

How can you feel the game is fair when, rather than having set number of i-frames that you can rely on, you have some wacky gradient of i-frames that changes everytime you add/subtract equipment and level up your agility stat. As a result of all these changes, you would have long lost track of your i-frames, which leads to all sorts of feelings of unfair when you get hit where you feel you shouldn't have.

Bedlam

- fewer bonfires
- less warping

So yeah, more like DS1.

And make no mistake guys, just because there is Bloodborne doesn't mean there won't be another DS. That second team has to work on something and Dark Souls has become way too valuable as a brand for From Software. They won't abandon that franchise anytime soon.

coolmast3r

Hope there will be no more Dark Souls (I'm not talking about the Souls franchise as a whole, I really want another Souls game, just not DkS3). The second game was a totally rehashed version of the first one and it did in fact disappoint me. So yeah...

120v

honestly i'd be okay with it just being "moar Dark Souls" (which is essentially what DS2 was) with current gen graphics.

on the gameplay front id like it to carry over the improvements of DS2 while bringing back the interconnected environs of the first game

pixlexic

Banned

blood born has no souls though. we are not even sure if it has a xp system at all at this point.

I want a true DS 3. And i would like to have more upgradable weapons along with the player stats. Weapons with xp and and stats that are upgradable i mean.

And make no mistake guys, just because there is Bloodborne doesn't mean there won't be another DS. That second team has to work on something and Dark Souls has become way too valuable for From Software. They won't abandon that franchise anytime soon.

With Miyazaki at the helm now we have no idea what could be coming aside from Bloodborne and the fact that he said Armored Core will continue.

we are not even sure if it has a xp system at all at this point.

Of course it does. It is a souls game just without the turtling.

Kieli

Hope there will be no more Dark Souls (I'm not talking about the Souls franchise as a whole, I really want another Souls game, just not DkS3). The second game was a totally rehashed version of the first one and it did in fact disappoint me. So yeah...

Dragon's Souls

Direwolf's Souls

Diablo Souls (lol)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HYa6Eyf.jpg

a cohesive, seemingly endless world to explore

Verelios

Make archery mean something. And by something I mean as versatile as magic.

Give me freaking spears for arrows that I need 40 STR to wield.

Not that I ever raise STR past 25.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Quite frankly, all I'd like to see is From take the first Dark Souls, lay on the atmosphere real thick-like as in Demon's Souls, and add a few improvements from Dark Souls II (power-stancing, the ability to consume multiple souls at once, dedicated servers for matchmaking).

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Better art direction would be nice, as I found "Dark Souls 2" to be somewhat uninspired compared to it's predecessor in that regard. The enemies and area's were mostly bland.

Less bonfires

More cohesiveness to the map its self. Even after 4 play through's of "Dark Souls 2", I kept forgetting how to get to certain places. It was confusing.

Better hit detection.

Dylan

Sine Bloodborne represents the true evolution of the concept behind Dark Souls, if they have to make a Dark Souls III, I would want them to take the opportunity to go completely nuts with it, don't worry about following conventions from previous games and try completely new ideas.

FROM could use Dark Souls as kind of a test-bed for mechanics that might ultimately be incorporated into the (presumably) more polished Bloodborne series.

Orayn

Get rid of the Soul Memory system. Garbage system.

I'd keep Soul Memory in some form, but make it a ring effect, a feature of the new player/anti-invasion covenant, or a "blessing" that you start with but can easily and permanently remove as soon as you're ready.

Having played and loved both games, I'll give my two cents for what I want of Dark Souls 3:

- Better map layout. Dark Souls 1 had this right. The world felt like a living breathing world that all connected together, while Dark Souls 2 simply had a central hub and essentially hallways/tree branches that separated from it, you don't know where to go? Pick a branch.

- More interesting boss designs: Dark Souls 1 again had an upper hand here as the bosses and semi-bosses around the world were all more creature-like and creative, while a lot of the bosses in Dark Souls 2 were different sizes of 'man in armor with weapon'.

- More interesting boss fight elements: This is a combination of the two at least in theory. Dark Souls 2's Mirror Knight could've been so much more if they had successfully given an explanation as to how players could be summoned by the mirror knight to help out. They never really told you how as far as I played and it could've been very interesting.

- Keep armor design as good as it is: FashionSouls is best souls.

- Keep Teleportation from bonfires if you intend to go back to Heralds: Even if you don't consider keeping it as it's very nice to be able to teleport to bonfires instead of doing the long trek back and forth to places you'd like to go back to. Heralds are a nice idea but you have to be more clear.

- Be more clear with game mechanics
: How many people were confused on how to level up and things of the sort? At the beginning of the game make it clear how to do stuff like this with pop-up boxes.

and finally

-Fix some of the guild ideas: Blue Sentinels/Apostles seemed almost useless since a lot of people would leave these guilds early on. Then you'll be stuck with a mostly useless guild.

Better level design compared to DS2. In DS1 the first time I took the elevator down from Undead Parish to Firelink Shrine, my mind was blown. A feeling that I never had in DS2 as the opted to just put bonfires around every corner.

Mman235

Whatever it is I'd like to see them experiment a little now. I love Dark Souls 2 but I know that, however good it is, I'd get a little fatigued if the next game was mostly similar again. Of course, Bloodbourne is already coming in as a proper successor that can do completely different things, but if it's assumed that DS3 is inevitable I'd like that to try some new things too and go in slightly unexpected directions (without losing the base gameplay).

UrbanRats

I'm not sure what i want in detail, but i do want to feel that feeling of uneasiness and unpredictability i felt with Dark souls the first time.

Throw some curve balls and try new things.

DkS2 felt all too familiar, losing much of that sense of wonder and constant tension, pinnacle of the series for me.

Orayn

Better level design compared to DS2. In DS1 the first time I took the elevator down from Undead Parish to Firelink Shrine, my mind was blown. A feeling that I never had in DS2 as the opted to just put bonfires around every corner.

Definitely agree with this. There were plenty of areas in Dark Souls 2 that I enjoyed, but it really felt like they were all designed separately and basically got glued together in a way that really lacked the coherence and cleverness of the first game. It's a very good example of bottom-up design, as opposed to top-down.

aeolist

Banned
i like the metroidvania style of design in DS1 but i would be totally OK with a progression of isolated areas so long as they're complex and interestingly designed, unlike the majority of DS2

Parmenide

-Tower of Latria atmosphere
-DaS 1 level design
-NO WARP
-Chekpoint system similar to DeS
-Decent netcode
-Balanced PvP
-More metroidvania features (secrets, special powers)
-Interesting NPCs
-Good lore like in DaS 1
-Even more different type of weapons

So yeah, essentaly more DaS 1, less DaS 2.

Gun Animal

Difficulty settings and quest markers would be nice aswell. A mini-map would help too.

For fuck's sake, go play other games.

The thing is that Dark Souls has a pause button and difficulty settings, it's just not obvious about it. To pause, you just exit out to the menu screen and then unpause by loading your save---you're right where you left off.

Difficulty settings are just:
Hard - Solo
Normal - 1 Co-Op partner
Easy - 2 Co-Op partners

Anyone who's played the games for more than a few hours has figured this out so most of these pause/difficulty posts are drive bys from people who've either never played the games and have no real interest in ever playing them or from people who played it for a half hour at their friend's house or something. You couldn't possibly finish Dark Souls and still have these complaints.

As for my ideal Dark Souls, I don't want any more Dark Souls ever. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodbourne all have their own unique aesthetic and feel, but for the most part Dark Souls II just feels like more Dark Souls, but worse. I want From to make more Soulslike games, but I want each one to be a "new" IP with radical changes to art direction and significant changes to gameplay. (IE Pyromancy, Covanents and Flasks in Dark Souls, guns instead of shields in BloodBourne)

Hypothetical idea: for [Blank] Souls, how about a more traditional Japanese aesthetic instead of the Western High Fantasy feel of Demons/Dark Souls? Enemy designs based on Onis and Yokai and junk. That could be kinda cool!

ZiZ

a more interconnected metroidvania world.
better story and lore. I loved the lore/story of the first dark souls. The second one had no story, I still have no idea why I was going around those bosses, "Seek powerful souls" is too vague an objective.

Sentenza

Difficulty settings and quest markers would be nice aswell. A mini-map would help too.
For fuck's sake, go play other games.
Yeah, they are totally the same stuff. What a ridiculous answer.

Anyway... I realize that "make it more like DS1 LOL" would sound just like a troll-ish drive-by reply, but the truth is that I have a hard time pointing a single change in the sequel, being it mechanical or in term of level design, that I thought worked for the better.
I especially disliked the roll evade being tied to a stat, with the visual feedback from that animation now being more misleading than useful.

Corpekata

Banned
Something more in line with DS1 where I'm constantly unlocking shortcuts and the levels seem to feed into each other more and I'll be aces.

Oh and no last gen holding it back.

Honestly the formula was starting to wear thin by the end of the first Dark Souls. And you want a third game? Bloodborne appears to be changing things up enough, but I'm still worried they are going to run this into the ground if there's a third DS on the way.

ElTopo

Banned
Just a different environment. Would be nice if it incorporated some of Bloodborne's new gameplay as a "Sorry that one game you want is an exclusive."

Different environments they could do:

Greek/Roman times.
Ancient China or Japan.
Full on Heaven and Hell environments.
Set during a 19th or 20th century war. Perhaps WW1?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It should be PC only. Consoles are holding it back from being as hardcore as possible. It shouldn't even let you play the game if you can't get at least 60fps and 1080p.

Maybe a better hit detection and a better AI, that's all I want. Bosses shouldn't be easy targets by circling them all the time and minions shouldn't e.g. fall from a bridge. And maybe remove these stupid 'invisible walls' that block our/ the enemy's arrows all the time.

Tawpgun

Better hit detection.

Dunno how to do this without making it OP, but I kinda wished an archery only character would be viable

Make the world more like Dark Souls 1 with how interconnected it was.

Stop being so intentionally vague with the goals of the game. I'm in Dark Souls 2 right now, just got to the Ancient Dragon and I have no idea where to go unless I google it. Haveing some more guidance wouldn't be "holding your hand"

gogosox82

To be mostly like dks 1 with the addition of dual wielding/powerstance, and better mp in terms of connecting to other players.

Edit: I also think they should get rid of the warping honestly. I really liked the metrovania style of dks 1 and I feel the warping basically kills that aspect of the game. Its kills it in second half of dks 1 and it kills it in dks 2. I'd rather they just get rid of it and have no warp like demons souls. Maybe they give you access to one bonfire that lets you warp back to the hub but that's it.

Orayn

A slightly controversial one I've been mulling over recently: Fewer stats.

Something like...

• Constitution: Adds HP and Stamina. Slightly increases max equip weight.
  • Strength: Improves STR scaling, major stat requirement for heavy armor, greatly increases max equip weight
  • Dexterity: Improves DEX scaling, moderately increases max equip weight
  • Intelligence: Improves sorcery/pyromancy scaling, adds INT-only spell slots
  • Wisdom: Improves miracle/hex scaling, adds WIS-only spell slots
  • Charisma: Slightly improves scaling for all spell types, adds universal spell slots

Also, a simplified and visual system for roll/movement speed breakpoints. Something like this:

41ef65297c.png

Opens the possibility of having stats that move the breakpoints around instead of having it all based on the same scale.

It should be PC only. Consoles are holding it back from being as hardcore as possible. It shouldn't even let you play the game if you can't get at least 60fps and 1080p.

Can you please read the OP and make some attempt not to shitpost?

Honestly the formula was starting to wear thin by the end of the first Dark Souls. And you want a third game? Bloodborne appears to be changing things up enough, but I'm still worried they are going to run this into the ground if there's a third DS on the way.

That's why I mentioned the possibility of it being a fairly large departure from the previous games, which is something I'd honestly love to see happen.

Mman235

Dunno how to do this without making it OP, but I kinda wished an archery only character would be viable

Dark Souls 2 already does this with stronger bows and more mobility while aiming. Your overall DPS will lack compared to what other character types can do, but between the different arrow types and status effects (poison in particular, which even works on most bosses) most standard enemies go down pretty easily.

jpax

Huge interconnected believable world. Design encounters around this world, not the other way round.
Get rid of all latency increasing nonsense like agility.
Less bonfires, no warping till 2/3 in the game.
Make it 60fps and build the animations around that number (like in ds1 had done it for 30fps).
Do not stop your ambition after 2/3 of the game are done.
Get rid of farmable HP potions and design the difficulty around estus.

DSIII?

Keep the combat system of DSII (They would probably change some things for the sake of balance I suppose). Bring back the level design of Demon's Souls or if they are going to try again a DS like world they would have to work hard to keep it more consistent than the world in DS was.

Top Bottom