• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei's Ni-Oh still alive?

Guymelef

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4804:5l6y67.8.1
OKDsSwP.png

Hexa

I have a feeling it'll end up a Wii U exclusive. They seem to have a great relationship recently.

Guymelef

I have a feeling it'll end up a Wii U exclusive. They seem to have a great relationship recently.

Maybe a saved project like Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third and one of those rumored three Wii U exclusive third party games.

Or maybe a PS3/PS4 game.

wrowa

I don't think KT would let years of development go to a game that won't leave Wii U anytime soon.

Especially due to the weird history of the game, it fits right into Nintendo's weird habbit to pick up games with a troubled development history.

atr0cious

Our last update was in 2012.

I don't think KT would let years of development go to a game that won't leave Wii U anytime soon.

That article states Team Ninja is doing the programming, and both teams just finished up working together on Hyrule Warriors, so...

What if they turn Ni-Oh into a platform specific title like Toukieden?

Takao

Banned
Maybe a saved project like Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third and one of those rumored three Wii U exclusive third party games.

Or maybe a PS3/PS4 game.

Bayonetta 2 was cancelled and Devil's Third had no publisher. Ni-Oh had development difficulties, but it doesn't seem like KT ever closed the door on it.

What if they turn Ni-Oh into a platform specific title like Toukieden?

I'm not sure I follow. Toukiden launched on PSP and Vita. I can see Ni-Oh following that path on PS3 and PS4.

Holy shit, I thought I was imagining things, but that game was announced before the PS3 debuted right?
They showcased a tech demo for it
iRziFy6RiGZSa.jpg

Game looked like what people expected out a next gen Musou to be.
That was like 7 years ago right?

Guymelef

Holy shit, I thought I was imagining things, but that game was announced before the PS3 debuted right?
They showcased a tech demo for it
iRziFy6RiGZSa.jpg

Game looked like what people expected out a next gen Musou to be.
That was like 7 years ago right?

Almost 10 years since original announcement.
The new Duke Nukem Forever.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Bayonetta 2 was cancelled and Devil's Third had no publisher. Ni-Oh had development difficulties, but it doesn't seem like KT ever closed the door on it.

I agree that the situations are different, but for a so troublesom project seeing another publisher offering support for the development trhough some employee, a western distribution/publishing/promotion deal could be interesting.
I'm not saying that it will be a Wii U exclusive as other games, at all. Just that it is not impossible for such a project like this (new IP not yet established, very Japanese-oriented, with issues during development).
I mean, it's not RE7.

Philippo

Moved to PS4?
I remember it being an action with RPG elements based on a Kurosawa script, premises sure are hype worthy.

Forkball

I looked up this game and found some interesting tidbits:

the game is based on an unfinished script by legendary Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa titled Oni (named for a type of Japanese demon). The game was to be released with a companion film, also titled Oni, that would have seen the directoral debut of Hisao Kurosawa, Akira Kurosawa's son. Hisao Kurosawa was completing his father's script with assistance from game producer Kou Shibusawa of Koei, with a combined production budget of ¥ 3 billion for both film and game.

Seems like they bit off a bit more than they could chew. If Team Ninja is working on it now it's probably heavily retooled and renamed.

So this is Team Ninja next game ?, I remember reading about it long ago, I was surprised it disappeared suddenly.

I wonder how it will be like now, hopefully an Action Adventure - Hack n Slash.

If that guy who told about the 3 exclusives is right (I don't think they'll be three) this is the one I thought of.

Tecmo and Nintendo are pretty close. Especially right now with the Miyamoto at all those Tecmo streams for Hyrule Warriors and Fatal Frame IV. Considering Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third is definitely seems like something they could pick up.

I remember when Devil's Third was announced to be still on development a lot of people couldn't below it would come back as a Wii U exclusive and dismissed it as ridiculous. Something to keep in mind.

Yeah it's been in development for years... as a PS3 game. Who know if Tecmo wanted to make the effort to move it to PS4.

Guymelef

I don't understand that "Nintendo and Koei loves each other, look at Hyrule Warriors and Fatal Frame".

So we must assume now every unannounced Koei game will have more possibilities on Wii U than PS4 ignoring the fact that Koei's history with PS platforms are better?

Sify64

I don't understand that "Nintendo and Koei loves each other, look at Hyrule Warriors and Fatal Frame".

So we must assume now every unannounced Koei game will have more possibilities on Wii U than PS4 ignoring the fact that Koei's history with PS platforms are better?
i think they are going on the assumption that Koei Tecmo isn't willing to fund Ni-Oh themselves, and their recent partnership with Nintendo could make them a likely candidate to pick it up. However, if it is just KT publishing, then it will end up on most platforms anyway.

It's not really love. It's more Tecmo is one of the handful of third-party publishers who through Nintendo is still releasing Wii games. That opens up the possibility. If this had been hints of Devil May Cry, a Konami property or even Onimusha I doubt people would suggest Wii U.

L Thammy

Wii U does seem to be plausible. I don't think Koei's really stuck with the option, though, whereas Sega and Valhalla may not have been able to make use of their partially-complete games otherwise.

It's not really love. It's more Tecmo is one of the handful of third-party publishers who through Nintendo is still releasing Wii games. That opens up the possibility. If this had been hints of Devil May Cry, a Konami property or even Onimusha I doubt people would suggest Wii U.

There's always someone.

Takao

Banned
I agree that the situations are different, but for a so troublesom project seeing another publisher offering support for the development trhough some employee, a western distribution/publishing/promotion deal could be interesting.
I'm not saying that it will be a Wii U exclusive as other games, at all. Just that it is not impossible for such a project like this (new IP not yet established, very Japanese-oriented, with issues during development).
I mean, it's not RE7.

While Ni-Oh has obviously had issues in development, it's seemingly not had a funding one like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third.

I can see it being on Wii U, perhaps even as a timed-exclusive like NG3: RE and Warriors Orochi 3: Hyper, but there's no way it'll stay exclusive. This is another period Koei game and those always do better on PlayStation. I can't see Koei Tecmo being okay with letting a game that has been in development for ages stay exclusive to a machine that isn't doing a great job selling Nintendo-branded Dynasty Warriors.

I was convinced this time last year that Ni-Oh was going to pop up as a PS4 game, but given how that platform has performed in Japan, I can see it pulling a Toukiden and going cross-gen.

Guymelef

Maybe it will be revived as Oh-Ni (aka Oni).

Actually Oni was the initial name.
04102809.jpg

Project was announced in 2004 with more than a game in mind.
Game, books, movie directed by Kurosawa's son, etc...
04102805.jpg

When the movie was cancelled in 2005 (and rest of projects I guess) game was renamed to Ni-Oh.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Actually Oni was the initial name.
04102809.jpg

Project was announced in 2004 with more than a game in mind.
Game, books, movie directed by Kurosawa's son, etc...
04102805.jpg

When the movie was cancelled in 2005 (and rest of projects I guess) game was renamed to Ni-Oh.

wasn't it based on an unfinished story by Akira Kurosawa, wrote it before he died or something like that?

this entire thing really seems to be a cursed project fated to never see the light of day.

Guymelef

wasn't it based on an unfinished story by Akira Kurosawa, wrote it before he died or something like that?

this entire thing really seems to be a cursed project fated to never see the light of day.

Yes, the entire project was bashed on an Kurosawa's unfinished script.

3 billion Yen project from Koei, Kurosawa Productions and another company.

GamesBeat: In relation, what has happened to Ni-Oh? It seems like this has the potential of becoming the Team Ninja defining game I am describing, but it has been massively delayed.

Hayashi: I have heard rumors that it’s been stopped, but it’s actually very much in development. We still need a little time before showing it off, but it is starting to come together and feel good. You should definitely keep an eye out for it in the future.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/11/15/balancing-isnt-easy-team-ninja-on-dead-or-alive-5-last-round-in-the-fgc-sexual-fantasy-and-the-future-part-1/2/

Top Bottom