• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($500 HDMI aluminum NES) delayed until 'Christmas'

Chittagong

Gold Member
Analogue Nt Shipping Christmas 2014

There has been an enormous amount of interest in the Nt and we’ve been scaling up to meet a demand that is significantly higher than we anticipated. To meet this demand, we have changed several of our manufacturing processes and this has forced us to move the shipping date into a new timeline.

We created the Analogue Nt to be a legendary piece of hardware. Something that in its category, can, and will never be surpassed. We strive for nothing less. To achieve this, it requires an outstanding attention to detail. At our current stage this attention to detail is focused on an updated manufacturing process.

As we scale our production, the extended timeline is a result of maintaining this standard to new processes Though we are disappointed with any delay, our excitement remains overwhelming and we look forward to delivering the Analogue Nt into each and everyones hands. We deeply appreciate everyone patience.

Lucky for them there was no delay in charging my credit card in full in April.

What is this, a stealth Kickstarter?

Beartruck

Speaking as a retro enthusiast, I can't imagine why anyone would want an HDMI NES, as the visuals for NES games were built around the unique features of a CRT.

That said, the delay being because they have to improve production is a little ridiculous. Why not just release what you can currently make for your preorder customers and then scale production?

edit: Just checked the link. $500? You could buy 5 top loaders for that price!

Chittagong

Gold Member
What's an Analogue NT? I know what the OT says but there's no info on the console.

Sorry posting on mobile, copy paste from their email.

It's an aluminum bodied NES with the guts of a genuine Famicom, so no emulation or repro chips. On top of that is a NES RGB chipset and their own HDMI upscaler. It has cartridge slots for both NES and Famicom games, and 4 controller ports. Because it's an actual Famicom 100% of games and accessories work.

It's supposed to be pretty much the ultimate way to play NES/Famicom non-emulated.

Sorry posting on mobile, copy paste from their email.

It's an aluminum bodied NES with the guts of a genuine Famicom, so no emulation or repro chips. On top of that is a NES RGB chipset and their own HDMI upscaler. It has cartridge slots for both NES and Famicom games, and 4 controller ports. Because it's an actual Famicom 100% of games and accessories work.

It's supposed to be pretty much the ultimate way to play NES/Famicom non-emulated.

I wasn't aware that the chipset for NES is open source now. I can't see anyone wanting to get one except diehards and/or retro collectors. Famicon carts are very hard to come by in the US.

Also, there were games that used 4 controllers?!?!

Zero reason to buy this as you can get an rgb modded nes for $350-$400, tops. Ridiculous they have charged people's credit cards in full in April and won't ship until December. Sounds like the Retron 5 debacle all over again, but with a much higher price tag.

Timu

So they want 500 bucks for a nes ?
Really ?!
Dat RGB though, miles better than composite, something I don't use anymore.

Yep.

Zero reason to buy this as you can get an rgb modded nes for $350-$400, tops.
Those are nearly impossible to find pre-modded, ebay is the only site I found some at and they are rare there too. I would love to find a site that has them as a standard.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wasn't aware that the chipset for NES is open source now. I can't see anyone wanting to get one except diehards and/or retro collectors. Famicon carts are very hard to come by in the US.

Not open source, these are *actual* genuine Famicom guts from consoles with damaged shells, with NES RGB chipset bolted on.

Also NES carts work. Two cart slots, one NES and one Famicom.

4 player? The only ones I can think of are Nintendo Worldcup Soccer, Super Spike V-Ball and Gauntlet

What the logical thinking behind them asking people to pay 500$? Thats even more than a brand new Ps4. It is insane.

I happily paid $500 and I'd have paid even more had they asked for it. This is a high quality product they're selling. It's like the exact opposite of something like a Retron 5.

Not open source, these are *actual* genuine Famicom guts from consoles with damaged shells, with NES RGB chipset bolted on.

Also NES carts work. Two cart slots, one NES and one Famicom.

4 player? The only ones I can think of are Nintendo Worldcup Soccer, Super Spike V-Ball and Gauntlet

Ah. Welp that's a high sticker price for RGB and additional for carts. So the Co. That was going to do it stole you money.

That sucks man. Can't you dispute the charge with your CC provider?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So they want 500 bucks for a nes ?
Really ?!
Everyone saying "OMG $499!?!?!" should probably take a look at the current RGB NES market. Getting an NES with proper RGB output is not cheap. Initially people were pulling the PPU chips out of old PlayChoice10 arcade boards but it seems there is an alternative out there now. Either way, getting an RGB NES is very expensive. Same deal if you want a PC Engine Duo with RGB.

This price really isn't far off from the market for these things.

A friend of mine has one on order and we're going to put it through its paces come December. He already has a good 5-6 RGB NES consoles so we'll be ready to compare and find out how it stacks up. Here's hoping it doesn't use the arcade PPU colors...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yeah that's right, I want the product, I think it's a great idea and speaks to a small niche market.

I just do not appreciate that they essentially pulled a Kickstarter (collect money for a concept to make it real) while implying that they are ready to ship soon ('summer'). If the product actually existed in April they could have shipped some earlier than Christmas, on a first come, first served basis. Now it just stinks like a Kickstarter in disguise.

Yeah that's right, I want the product, I think it's a great idea and speaks to a small niche market.

I just do not appreciate that they essentially pulled a Kickstarter (collect money for a concept to make it real) while implying that they are ready to ship soon ('summer'). If the product actually existed in April they could have shipped some earlier than Christmas, on a first come, first served basis. Now it just stinks like a Kickstarter in disguise.

I'd still advise for disputing the charge with your CC provider and look for another company doing it.

Who knows what they did with your pre-order funds.

shuri

Banned
I don't like the fact that the rgb modded nes are using parts from arcade hardware. I remember reading that people were working on some sort of new chip instead. Don't destroy rare stuff!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't like the fact that the rgb modded nes are using parts from arcade hardware. I remember reading that people were working on some sort of new chip instead. Don't destroy rare stuff!
There is a new chip (the Australian) and it's much better. I'm hoping this system is not using the arcade PPU.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'd still advise for disputing the charge with your CC provider and look for another company doing it.

Who knows what they did with your pre-order funds.

To Analogue's defence, they are an actual company which continues to ship products (those super high end wooden Neo Geos), so they are a real company - which is why I am sticking with my order. I just think they managed this campaign really bad by not being open about the state of the product development.

Izcarielo

Banned
I happily paid $500 and I'd have paid even more had they asked for it. This is a high quality product they're selling. It's like the exact opposite of something like a Retron 5.

But what is so high quality about it that makes it cost 500$?
Reading the others posters i now get the idea that they are taking advantage of the skyrocketed prices of Ebay and just putting an aluminium case on it and call it a day.
I mean there is no way the insides of this console and the case could cost more than 100$ in total
i would be extremely surprised if that was the case

Mzo

But what is so high quality abot it that makes it cost 500$?
Reading the others posters i now get the idea that they are taking advantage of the skyrocketed prices of Ebay and just putting an aluminium case on it and call it a day.
I mean there is no way the insides of this console and the case could cost more than 100$ in total
i would be extremely surprised if that was the case

An etim NESRGB board alone is around $80 in the US. I don't know what it costs to buy a PlayChoice PPU, but I really hope that's not what they're doing. The colors would be all off.

Also, it's not just an aluminum case, iirc the housing is carved out of an aluminum block. That's expensive, too.

I'm not saying I think it's worth it, though, just that there's more money going into how this is made than you seem to think.

I'm pretty confident I could buy and RGB mod an NES, a Famicom, and still have money left over for a Famicom Disk System for $500, though.

Izcarielo

Banned
An etim NESRGB board alone is around $80 in the US. I don't know what it costs to buy a PlayChoice PPU, but I really hope that's not what they're doing. The colors would be all off.

Also, it's not just an aluminum case, iirc the housing is carved out of an aluminum block. That's expensive, too.

I'm not saying I think it's worth it, though, just that there's more money going into how this is made than you seem to think.

I'm pretty confident I could buy and RGB mod an NES, a Famicom, and still have money left over for a Famicom Disk System for $500, though.

Ok i get it. This is then a luxury collector item i guess. Its more aesthetics than what its inside as you explained with the whole aluminium block and etc

Timu

Everyone saying "OMG $499!?!?!" should probably take a look at the current RGB NES market. Getting an NES with proper RGB output is not cheap. Initially people were pulling the PPU chips out of old PlayChoice10 arcade boards but it seems there is an alternative out there now. Either way, getting an RGB NES is very expensive. Same deal if you want a PC Engine Duo with RGB.

This price really isn't far off from the market for these things.

A friend of mine has one on order and we're going to put it through its paces come December. He already has a good 5-6 RGB NES consoles so we'll be ready to compare and find out how it stacks up. Here's hoping it doesn't use the arcade PPU colors...
That system can be rgb modded as well???o_O

Also, I would love to have one of those.

Top Bottom