• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking Dead Season 2 physical copy will cost €40/$30!? Why?

MauroNL

The Walking Dead Season 2 is finally hitting PS4 and Xbox One on October 21th in the US and October 31th in Europe. I for one am looking forward to this release, as I played Season 1 on Xbox 360 and have been holding of for Season 2 to play it on Xbox One. However, it has come to my attention that the physical copy will cost €40 or $30. This not only is a ridiculous conversion rate for us Europeans, it's also twice as much as the entire season costs digitally on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Same goes for The Wolf Among Us Season 1 which is releasing on PS4 and Xbox One in October as well, with the same pricing scheme. I pretty curious why it costs this much as I'm betting the game is probably untouched on PS4 and Xbox One compared to last-gen versions, and it's not like it has more episodes or something. It's extra weird why it took so long to release it for current gen as it has been delayed multiple times too. I might as well have bought the Season Pass on Xbox 360 when it was on sale multiple times.

Each episode is $4.99 right? At least on my iPad it was. Would equal $25 for all 5 episodes. An extra $5 for a physical copy seems about right?

I mean, $30 is their standard physical copy price for whole seasons. Not sure why this is so shocking.

Not to mention they're releasing it on platforms that the episode-by-episode digital episodes didn't come out on. Working on ports isn't free or instantaneous.

I mean, wasn't $5/episode so $25 for the whole season on PC? Add an extra $5 because physical copy/retail cut and I don't see what the huge deal is. Yes, it's been cheaper than $25 on Steam sales, but let's be realistic here.

Vashetti

Banned
Don't buy physical then? Expect to pay a premium over digital pricing.

They go on sale regularly too as digital versions.

MauroNL

Each episode is $4.99 right? At least on my iPad it was. Would equal $25 for all 5 episodes. An extra $5 for a physical copy seems about right?
Well yes, but the Season Pass is cheaper which is $20 on Xbox 360 for the entire game. It's not the dollar price that bothers me though it's the fact their asking €40 for a game that is 50% cheaper on an older console and it's basicly the same game. Printing it on a disc doesn't make it twice as expensive.

Hubb

Well yes, but the Season Pass is cheaper which is $20 on Xbox 360 for the entire game. It's not the dollar price that bothers me though it's the fact their asking €40 for a game that is 50% cheaper on an older console and it's basicly the same game. Printing it on a disc doesn't make it twice as expensive.

I don't like the price either, but I guess they think it'll sell. Or they will get X amount of money at release and then quickly discount it and get the Y then.

Not even 1:1.

Wow.

$30≈23€

I think that is more the issue.

You have to factor in how tax works though, it is very different in Europe and the US.

Basically, the price (without tax) works out to around $40, so it is still more expensive of course.

Season 2 was on sale on 360 for £8 last week.

Insane pricing here, i've holding out for the PS3 version as well. Hmmm. Is it getting season 1 too?

Cutebrute

But preparing the discs and packaging, shipping, and giving the retailer an extra cut of your profit does justify the price increase. Besides, you will soon see the retail version go on sale, just like the digital version. Well, maybe it won't be 60% off like it can be on Steam, but that's the catch with buying retail products.

EDIT: I will say that I am only speaking to the US release. That European price is a bit excessive.

MauroNL

I assume you're looking for a more sophisticated answer than... "because they can".
Yes I am.

Oh and I forgot to mention Season 1 of Walking Dead is also releasing on PS4 and Xbox One for $30/€30 and also Season 2 physical for PS3 and Xbox 360 for $30/€30

To be fair, you have the option to sell the game when you are done with it, which you don't have with a digital copy. Plus, retailer markup, shipping costs, packaging costs, etc. You have to expect a little bit of a premium to be charged.

MauroNL

So let me clarify: the real issue here is the €40 price tag, not the $30. That just doesn't add up conversion wise especially when you can buy the full game digitally at half that price on almost every device except PS4 and X1.

I just think Telltale could learn something from Metro Redux. Two full games, completely remastered for new consoles with all the extra content for $50/€40. That's a reasonable price for us Europeans and a great price for what you get for all that content.

What I mean is they could have thrown in Season 1 and then asked €40 for it for example, instead of releasing the exact same game on a new console at twice the price AND you don't even get any extra content or whatever. I don't want to act like a winy child or whatever, or maybe I'm just spoiled by the awesome Metro Redux it just bothered me.

So let me clarify: the real issue here is the €40 price tag, not the $30. That just doesn't add up conversion wise especially when you can buy the full game digitally at half that price on almost every device except PS4 and X1.

I just think Telltale could learn something from Metro Redux. Two full games, completely remastered for new consoles with all the extra content for $50/€40. That's a reasonable price for us Europeans and a great price for what you get for all that content.

What I mean is they could have thrown in Season 1 and then asked €40 for it for example, instead of releasing the exact same game on a new console at twice the price AND you don't even get any extra content or whatever. I don't want to act like a winy child or whatever, or maybe I'm just spoiled by the awesome Metro Redux it just bothered me.

I completely agree. I don't understand why it's €40. That pricing seems excessive when you compare it to the content that was available in Metro Redux.

DonDraper

Banned
Box art, packaging, flimsy manuals, promotions/advertising, ratings boards cost $, additional QA, and the salaries of the all the people involved. It is a new set of costs.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It cost money to make them physical and appear in retail stores you know.

Cost like shipping, manufacturing of boxes and the discs, material costs, printing of manuals etc

Top Bottom