• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny is PS4's biggest launch yet + biggest PS4 sales since Christmas

DNAbro

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/09/17/destiny-ps4s-biggest-software-launch-yet/#sf4690508

What a week! Since Destiny launched one week ago, it has officially become the biggest PS4 game launch in North America ever. The game broke records for being the fastest purchased and most played PS4 game during its first week on sale. In fact, last week was our single biggest PS4 hardware sales week since Christmas 2013! That’s a lot of PS4s. Thanks, Guardians!

Sacrifice me to the Hive if old.

Glass Rebel

Sony was smart to support it as they did. Immediate benefit in hardware sales with no long-term damage to their own brand.

Amir0x

Banned
Wait, bigger hardware sales than launch week? Holy shit.

didn't say that. it said biggest hardware sales since Christmas, so any week for PS4 since January basically and this week beat it.

it's the biggest PS4 software launch so far though.

Raist

Banned
So who's doing the math to see how many PS4s sold last week?

Well I don't think we can really do any math. PS4 sold ~860k in december, that's all we know.
It was a 5 weeks coverage months, so ~172k per week.
Since they mention "2nd best week since Chirstmas" I'm guessing that particular week in December must have been the highest one of that month. But it's tough to make any reasonable prediction. Likely well over 100k I guess.

Amir0x

Banned
while it's undoubtedly going to sell quite well (PS4), i will say this

it really sounds impressive, but the biggest post-holiday week sales for PS4 wasn't insanely high or anything, so this number could be like 120k-150k for Destiny week or something. Could of course be higher too, but there's a huge potential range here.

IIRC, the PS4 did about 900K in the US in December. If you were to spread those evenly out over the 4 weeks, that comes out to about 225K per week as the low-end estimate.

Edit: Got the number wrong (860K) and December was a 5 week month. So 172K is the baseline if all weeks were equal, which they aren't. I'd say that more shopping happens Christmas week than the couple weeks before it (last minute shoppers), so unless there wasn't a reship for that week, I'd say the number is probably closer to 200K for the week.

Amir0x

Banned
I wonder if they mean biggest week since December, or the week of Christmas. The wording seems to indicate the latter, in which case, holy freaking crap.

says since Christmas, so I would guess they're not actually counting Christmas week. It's smaller than Christmas week sales it seems, but higher than anything since. Which makes the potential weekly numbers range really huge.

bud

at this point, why invest in buying exclusives when you can just settle for an exclusive marketing deal?

this is the future.

(in this moment, i am a video game analyst)

Eggbok

100 billion consoles isn't cool. You know what's cool? 100 trillion.

Why make trillions when you can make......
billions?

1f2003e3c9ac15ceb35ab00d9a0baae3_view.jpg

Meier

ATVI stock down around 10% in the past week or so. Very annoying.. quit with the profit taking, you jerks.

GhaleonEB

says since Christmas, so I would guess they're not actually counting Christmas week. It's smaller than Christmas week sales it seems, but higher than anything since. Which makes the potential weekly numbers range really huge.

Yeah I re-read that and realized immediately after what it meant. You caught me before the edit. *shakes fist*

Also, suggestion for those who feel like doing drive by Destiny trolling rather than discussing the actual topic of the thread: don't.

IIRC, the PS4 did about 900K in the US in December. If you were to spread those evenly out over the 4 weeks, that comes out to about 225K per week as the low-end estimate.
So most likely September will put them at 360k. #1 for9 months pl. Still got what. 14 months to go to beat 360?

Allforce

So are they saying best WEEK of sales since Xmas 2013? Because we have rough estimate numbers of December 2013 PS4 sales to be:

[PS4] 858K - 863K

That would mean around 200K PS4s sold just in a week?

Edit: Never mind, this was already figured out.

So someone has to go through the sales numbers from Jan-August 2014 and see what the high month was to figure out was beat this week/month.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah I re-read that and realized immediately after what it meant. You caught me before the edit. *shakes fist*

Also, suggestion for those who feel like doing drive by Destiny trolling rather than discussing the actual topic of the thread: don't.

Ah, yeah I see your edit. It's easy to be confused, the wording is easy to mistake.

Since December was 860 and we can factor in that Christmas week might have sold, say, 400-500k of that (random ass number here), then the range would be something like 120k-500k for Destiny week lol

Allforce said:
That would mean around 200K PS4s sold just in a week?

Not necessarily, because Christmas week sales are usually much higher than the weeks surrounding it. We would expect Christmas week sales to be higher than the surrounding weeks, significantly so. So again the range for potential Destiny weeks sales is stupefyingly huge lol

Raist

Banned

Yeah it's fairly vague. Although, if it's not including christmas, then it's likely "low" as it's only the 2nd biggest, so I'm not sure why they'd mention it.

Top Bottom