• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autopsy performed on 25-yo NFL LB involved in murder-suicide reveals CTE damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Autopsy-shows-Chiefs-LB-Belcher-had-brain-damage-5788709.php

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — An autopsy performed one year after Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his 22-year-old girlfriend and killed himself found signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the degenerative brain disease found in athletes and others with a history of repetitive brain injuries.

Belcher, 25, killed Kasandra Perkins on Dec. 1, 2012, in the couple's home while his mother was caring for his baby daughter in a nearby room. He then sped from the residence to the Chiefs training facility, where he shot himself in the head in front of then-general manager Scott Pioli and then-coach Romeo Crennel.

Belcher's mother, Cheryl Shepherd, filed a lawsuit in December in Jackson County Circuit Court in Kansas City alleging her son was subjected to "repetitive head trauma," and that the Chiefs failed to provide adequate medical care before he killed his girlfriend and then committed suicide.

That lawsuit and similar actions by more than 30 plaintiffs — many of them former Chiefs players — has been moved to federal court and subsequently set aside while a $765 million settlement between the league and various lawsuits is going through the approval process.

"We're coming now within weeks of a decision where all of the NFL players have to make a decision to stay in our opt out of the settlement," said Dirk Vandever, an attorney for one of three law firms representing plaintiffs in head-injury lawsuits against the Chiefs.

The autopsy was performed last December at the request of lawyers for Zoey Belcher, the daughter of Jovan Belcher and Perkins. The results, sent in February to the attorneys and released to the media Monday, showed signs of CTE, which was also found in former NFL players Junior Seau and Dave Duerson, who both committed suicide.

"The microscopic findings of neurofibrillary tangles in young person are fully consistent with the pathological presentation of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy as it is reported in the available medical literature," the report concluded.

Vandever said the law firms released the report now because of a heightened awareness of domestic abuse in the NFL after incidents involving top names like running backs Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson.

"In the past month five different NFL players implicated in horrendous episodes in domestic violence," he said.

Ken McClain, whose firm also is involved in the lawsuits against the Chiefs, said the autopsy findings support what the plaintiffs have been saying all along: that repeated head trauma can cause players to become angry and lose control of their impulses.

"The Chiefs knew he and his significant other were having major domestic violence issues and he had a major concussion two weeks before this happened," McClain said.

In a statement, the NFL said: "The NFL has a long history of a changing the rules of the game to make it safer on the field, providing players the best medical care, and updating protocols on diagnosing concussions, treating concussions, and returning to play after a concussion."

Chiefs spokesman Ted Crews declined to comment about the report, citing the ongoing litigation.

JABEE

This is really the biggest issue in the NFL that has been on the back-burner this season. It's extremely difficult to legislate repetitive hits to the head out the game. You wouldn't be able to play any position in the NFL if those hits were eliminated.

This issue is an atomic bomb that is going to blow up across all levels of professional, college, and amateur sports.

My girlfriend is finishing her doctorate in clinical neuropsych. and almost all of her professors are working as consultants in civil cases that are working their way through courts.

They all seem to agree that it is going to end up hitting numbers that dwarf tobacco suits.

Lamel

Banned
I think football is sort of reaching critical mass in terms of how much the body can handle. Before it was more about the physical body, so players got bigger, stronger, faster, and more able to cope with the physical damage the hits caused. But in doing so, they hit harder, and now it has sort of maxed out and is affecting the brain in serious ways, and even possibly altering their behavior.

I think football is sort of reaching critical mass in terms of how much the body can handle. Before it was more about the physical body, so players got bigger, stronger, faster, and more able to cope with the physical damage the hits caused. But in doing so, they hit harder, and now it has sort of maxed out and is affecting the brain in serious ways, and even possibly altering their behavior.

I totally agree. Look at these photos.

wG8U.Em.138.jpg

They are of the same player, taken seven months apart. We have created techniques that allow people to get bigger, faster, and stronger than they have ever been in human history. And then we have them collide into each other at full speed. This is only the tip of a very large iceberg.

What I'm more curious about is if a big payout happens and/or it is revealed and accepted that football has dangerous risks of head trauma, what it will mean for things like youth football?

I mean sure they won't be hitting each other anything close to as hard but I imagine some of the problem comes from playing football for like 15 years as you develop and grow

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I have to imagine CBT exacerbated recent events.

At the very least, NFL players should get the best healthcare in the world. After that, I'm not sure what could happen without changing the sport dramatically.

If it prevents things like this, I'd put aside my misgivings.

royalan

What I'm more curious about is if a big payout happens and/or it is revealed and accepted that football has dangerous risks of head trauma, what it will mean for things like youth football?

I mean sure they won't be hitting each other anything close to as hard but I imagine some of the problem comes from playing football for like 15 years as you develop and grow

This issue isn't awareness, really. The danger of CTE facing football players due to sustaining repeated blows to the head over a period of years has been widely talked about for years now. Law and Order did an episode on it and Southpark has used it as a gag.

The issue is getting people to care about the safety of the players more so than the "sanctity" of their precious sport which, lol, good luck with that.

Football really does seem too large to fail at this point. Hell, even the recent player scandals don't seem to have amounted to much.

JABEE

"League of Denial" is a pretty good documentary on the subject.

The NFL either suppressed studies or denied links between playing football and head injuries.

This guy was a 25 year old special teamer, not some 15 year starter. CTE has been found in high school kids as well. There is pretty much no avoiding this. Hitting things with your head, even just once, is not good for the human brain. Football will never be made "safe" it's just going to be a matter of parents pulling their kids from the sport more and more as time goes on and more people die or turn into vegetables which will kill the talent pool.

youth_flagfootball_001.jpg

Less than 10 years from now.... Many organizations will simply stop offering it and move to soccer.

cdyhybrid

This issue isn't awareness, really. The danger of CTE facing football players due to sustaining repeated blows to the head over a period of years has been widely talked about for years now. Law and Order did an episode on it and Southpark has used it as a gag.

The issue is getting people to care about the safety of the players more so than the "sanctity" of their precious sport which, lol, good luck with that.

Football really does seem too large to fail at this point. Hell, even the recent player scandals don't seem to have amounted to much.

The CTE thing is a much bigger deal, IMO. The recent player scandals (Ray Rice etc.) only got so much attention because of how spectacularly Goodell botched the punishment for them.

xbhaskarx

wG8U.Em.138.jpg

They are of the same player, taken seven months apart. We have created techniques that allow people to get bigger, faster, and stronger than they have ever been in human history. And then we have them collide into each other at full speed. This is only the tip of a very large iceberg.

WTF they need to test this dude for steroids and HGH...

Heading the ball is a key component in soccer and there are a good amount of concussions there too from aerial challenges.

iirc it's no where on the level the nfl is at, not that it isn't a problem however.

They do have leather helmets you can use (and some players do) so I wonder how much of an effect those have.

iirc it's no where on the level the nfl is at, not that it isn't a problem however.

They do have leather helmets you can use (and some players do) so I wonder how much of an effect those have.

The majority of injuries in soccer seem to involve players being hit from behind and diving to the ground in front of them, with arms and legs spread out. They need to look at increased protection for the abdomen, I think.

cdyhybrid

Either the rules of the sport change drastically, or it will become a sport played only by those who see it as a way out of poverty similar to boxing.

Out of curiosity, does Rugby have similar problems with CTE?

I don't know off the top of my head, but I doubt it. Lack of pads and helmets would prevent the players from launching themselves at the player they're tackling like NFL players do, otherwise they'd injure themselves.

rambis

Banned

wG8U.Em.138.jpg

Whats significant about this picture? 7 months is plenty of time to shape up, especially for a guy who gets paid to do just that.

Whats significant about this picture? 7 months is plenty of time to shape up, especially for a guy who gets paid to do just that.

The picture on the right is seven months after retiring. He simply stopped working out to the level required to be in the NFL, and lost 70+ pounds...

shira

Either the rules of the sport change drastically, or it will become a sport played only by those who see it as a way out of poverty similar to boxing.
That would mean NHL would have to change as well.
Leg tackling is emphasized, as opposed to the crazy helmet-helmet hits.
Less than 10 years from now.... Many organizations will simply stop offering it and move to soccer.

But any sort of repetitive brain impact is going to cause damage. Even frequent headers in soccer

Contact football under the high school level needs to be banned. I would say high school as well, but we all know that's an impossibility in the near future as some entire towns and schools are built around their football teams as moneymakers.

Alienous

It really is a terrible shame for everyone involved when seemingly vile events can be attributed, albeit partially, to undiagnosed mental illness. Particularly tragic when said mental illness isn't a hereditary problem, but one gained over time.

DBT85

CTE is a problem in Rugby, but not on the scale of NFL.

Adding all the pads and helmets has only made your guys hit each other harder and harder.

xbhaskarx

Coaches at big programs can still dismiss this sort of thing with a "guys play beat up every day"...

University of Michigan Coach Brady Hoke Defends Use of Dazed Quarterback

University of Michigan football coach Brady Hoke defended his team's handling of quarterback Shane Morris, who stayed in Saturday’s game despite appearing dazed and wobbly following a vicious hit.

"We would never ever put a guy on the field when there is a possibility with head trauma," Hoke said at a news conference today.
He added, "Guys play beat up every day."

I was curious too so I did some digging, that picture is to be read from left to right. It's actually his weight loss since he left the NFL. So that dude was staying that bulked for the NFL so he could hold his own better.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What percentage of examined NFL brains have had CTE?
I know about a year ago they had found it in all but one brain that they had examined.

I think that's still the case...there hasn't been an update on that stat at least that I can recall.

This issue is an atomic bomb that is going to blow up across all levels of professional, college, and amateur sports.

My girlfriend is finishing her doctorate in clinical neuropsych. and almost all of her professors are working as consultants in civil cases that are working their way through courts.

They all seem to agree that it is going to end up hitting numbers that dwarf tobacco suits.
Why hasn't it already?

It would be interseting to crack open Rice, McDonald, petersons skulls and see if they show signs of this. I know it's correlation not causation at least tough to show causation in this case, but wouldn't that be something, if the Nfl itself was partially responsible for these episodes of physical/domestic abuse. It would be fascinating to see what happens if the victims family in this case added the nfl to a wrongful death suit against belcher. Granted, it would be settled with non disclosures.

Mesousa

Banned
Heading the ball is a key component in soccer and there are a good amount of concussions there too from aerial challenges.

The popularity of the Tiki-Taka style Barcelona and Spain made popular will be for certain the average kid wont be attacking the ball with Aerial duels which was the old hoof-ball English style.

Soccer will remain a very safe and popular alternative to American football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom