• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien:Isolation Review Thread | At least most of us agree that Resurrection was awful

15241216637_958bc745d4_o.gif

Thanks to AHA-Lambda for the thread title.
JZ5ZiMV.png

Gamepro.de - 73/100
VentureBeat - 83/100
Jeuxvideo (French) 16/20
Gamestar (German) - 73/100
PC Games (German) - 69/100
GamesTM - 9/10
Gametrailers - 7.4/10
GameZone - 7
Joystiq - 4/5
Metro - 7/10
Game Informer - 7.75
Kotaku - Yes
The Escapist - 4.5/5 [13 Minute Video Preview by Jim Sterling]
CVG - 8/10
IGN - 5.9
Polgyon - 6.5/10
PC Gamer - 93/100
Videogamer - 9/10
Gamespot - 6/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
Destructoid - 8.5/10
TheSixthAxis - 9/10
The Guardian - 5/5
GamesRadar
Is Alien: Isolation for everyone? Perhaps not. If you demand reassurance, telegraphed threats, predictable solutions, and an inherent, hand-holding sense of ‘fairness’, you might find the experience too much to handle. But those of you brave enough--those of you tired of existing video game approximations of survival and horror, and craving a real test of your skills, instincts and nerves--will find a bounty of thrilling, engrossing, profoundly fulfilling rewards. If you truly embrace it, then during its most powerful moments, Alien: Isolation will probably make you feel more alive than a video game has in years.
Rock Paper Shotgun
Isolation is the best Alien game I’ve ever played, I’m in no doubt about that. Even in its awkward moments it is doing something interesting with the license, exploring the edges of what is possible in its world, quietly and discreetly. I expect the debate about certain design choices to be loud and long. At the centre of the debate will be one of the finest entries in the Alien canon in any medium, and one of the finest horror experiences in ours.
The Verge
This is a game that makes you feel like Sigourney Weaver in the first Alien film: scared, alone, and constantly on edge. I've never been so terrified by a game, for so long. No matter how many times I encountered the alien, I never felt comfortable in its presence.
Outside Xbox review
JZ5ZiMV.png

Ordered highest to lowest:
The Guardian - 5/5
PC Gamer - 93/100
Gamefront - 92
GamesTM - 9/10
Gameradar - 9
Gamereactor Sweden - 9
Multiplayer - 9
Everyeye - 9
Eurogamer ITA - 9
GamesVillage - 9
Videogamer - 9/10
TheSixthAxis - 9/10
OXM - 9
God is Geek - 9
Play Uk - 9
The Escapist - 4.5/5
3d Juegos - 8.5
[NoSpamPlease] - 8.5
Destructoid - 8.5/10
VentureBeat - 83/100
[NoSpamPlease] - 4/5
IGN ITA - 8
Digital Spy - 8
Kotaku - Yes
Eurogamer - 8/10
Shacknews - 8
VandalOnline - 8
Joystiq - 4/5
CVG - 8/10
Game Informer - 7.75
Gametrailers - 7.4/10
Gamepro.de - 73/100
Gamestar - 73
GameZone - 7
Metro - 7/10
Meristation - 7
Polgyon - 6.5/10
Gryonline - 6.5
Gamespot - 6/10
IGN - 5.9

Lime

Here's RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/03/wot-i-think-alien-isolation/

Isolation is the best Alien game I’ve ever played, I’m in no doubt about that. Even in its awkward moments it is doing something interesting with the license, exploring the edges of what is possible in its world, quietly and discreetly. I expect the debate about certain design choices to be loud and long. At the centre of the debate will be one of the finest entries in the Alien canon in any medium, and one of the finest horror experiences in ours.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Damn the contrast in in reviews is crazy already. I already bought the game, so none of it really matters to me but still. 5/5 & 6/10? Damn.

AHA-Lambda

Thanks for picking my title :p
(That's now a review thread and an OT, I've got under my belt ^_^)

So far it looks like what I expected, tracking well but with a couple of others citing difficulty complaints it seems?

Edit: nope there's a few more 6s than I expected :/

Nibel

Pretty polarizing; seems like if you are fan of the movies and of the genre, this might be a must-play.

Oh, man. Polygon continue to deliver. At this point I can guess their review scores with 80% accuracy. Really stoked about that PCGamer score though, got this game preordered and good to go on launch day.

mp1990

Banned
IGN review points ''Unpredictable Alien AI'' as a bad point,wasn't this a thing that everyone glorified ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not surprised at Polygon .. but wtf happened at Gamespot and IGN !

edit:

IGN's review
– Unpredictable Alien AI.

Fucking REALLY IGN ?
You wanted a predictable, see it from a mile away, kind of behavior from the Alien ?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
What I'm getting from the numbers is that it's not for everyone. Actually I don't know. What.

Top Bottom