• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how many new games do you buy per year?

At this point in my life I buy one new game per month. and besides that I'm usually replaying old ps2/ps3 games.

So it comes out to roughly 12 new games per year.

OneUh8

Way too many honestly. Between September and October I have/am getting Destiny, FIFA, Shadow of Mordor, Driveclub and Alien Isolation. November not looking good either lol. I need to pace it a little better because I don't even have enough time to finish the games I am getting before I am getting new ones. I am already getting 4 games in February for sure lol.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
day one you mean ? bout 2 a year or so. Others i just wait for them to go on sale as usually i have enough games in my backlog to keep me occupied

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Probably a lot more last year.

This year was like... 8? 10-12 by the end of November, depending on what's good.

Aces&Eights

Quite a few. Usually buy the big games released each month and a lot of the indie stuff. The latter is hit or miss on if I like it and complete them but they are usually reasonably priced and I like supporting indie devs.

hwy_61

Banned
An embarrassing amount. Ugh, I don't even want to think of the money I've spent on gaming this year...my wife would kill me.

Lol

L.O.R.D

Since I moved to steam brotherhood
I buy games as bundles or very cheap
this year I got 200+ games
I don't think I can play them all

ghostjoke

Banned
With all the cheap indie bundles going around, probably 30/40. In terms of games I know about beforehand, so far two this year.

New as in just released for the full $60? Zero.

New games overall? Dozens easily, but since I wait until things hit $20 or less I'm not out too much cash.

If you're talking about day one, like 5-10. If you're talking about any current generation stuff, it's probably about 15-25 retail games every year.

Afrodium

Banned
The past few years? Maybe one or two. Ever since I've gotten a PS4 though that number has skyrocketed. It's not that there's more must have games, it's just that's all there is to play (okay, and I'm a bit more financially secure).

Beerculies

Neo Member
It depends, do games from Humble Bundle count? Steam Sales? PS+? Xbox Gold? Without these i average about a game a month, sometimes more depending on what comes out.

Now i don't want to think about how much money i spend on games... not to mention dlc...

EGM1966

It varies. I'd guess minimum around 40 to 50 and max could be comfortably north of 100.

Until new consoles I was buying titles across PC, 360, PS3 and Wii and now I'm mainly buying for PC, PS4 and Vita (with the odd PS3/360 title) which is still enough platforms to easily hit over 3 games a month.

Just recently I've bought Ethan Carter and Ether 1 on PC, Destiny and Shadow of Mordor on PS4 and have Alien Isolation pre-ordered.

Too many arguably!

Too many, I should really budget these things but I live on the edge and buy lots of things spontaneously. My condolances, wallet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New as in new release or new to one's own library? If it's the former, a lot (just today I pre-ordered Borderlands: The Pre-sequel, Costume Quest 2, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (20th Anniversary Edition), NBA 2K15, Raven's Cry, Ryse: Son of Rome, Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, Styx: Master of Shadows and The Evil Within); if it's the latter, 1447 this past year (and three days).

I have been buying maybe 1-2 $60 dollar games per year at this point in my life. Other than that, maybe once every 2-3 months I will peruse the stores for deep discounts on games or just wait for them to at least get into the 30$-range. I buy just about every one of my games new, I just wait for a price drop. Like last week, I bought the Darkness II Limited Edition for $2.99 on the PS3. It was a game I was looking to pick up after really liking the original. I also want to at least try Destiny at some point, but I will wait for it to drop to $25 or 30.

Right now, I am so far behind on my backlog that I am still digging through random gamecube and ps2 purchases in the past 10 years. Right now I am playing through the original Godfather on the PS2. I probably buy like 20 games per year easily, but most are at less than $5-20.

I just can't see spending $60 on most games. But really if I wouldn't be a a fan or at least be interested in just about every genre, I could probably buy games at $60 and they would take me 3-6 months to beat.

Are you talking games new to my collection or new, shrink-wrapped games?

If it's the former, a lot (I'm almost done buying GameCube games). If it's the later, very very little. Especially because steam games don't have shrink-wrap

(But even then, I'm not buying PC games until I'm done with old console games anyway)

TomShoe

Banned
So far I'm sitting at 8.
EDIT: Nope 9.

- The Last of Us ($25 + Gift Card)
- Beyond: Two Souls ($15)
- Killzone 3 ($8 impulse)
- TLOZ: ALBW (BOGO)
- Kirby: TD (BOGO)
- Smash 3DS (full price)
- Bravely Default (full price)
- Destiny (Traded in BF4 for $30 off)
- Titanfall (Traded in Ghosts for $30 off)

The lack of next-gen is hampering my console spending, but I expect to have about 10-12 by year's end, maybe more if I get a PS4 under the tree.

A lot. I'd guess three games a month, and that's only counting boxed retail games. Probably another 2-3 indie games a month on top of that.

Around 10. So far this year i got:

Dark Souls 2
Wolfenstein
Super mario 3DW
Mario Kart 8
Wind Waker HD
Fire Emblem Awakening
Smash 3DS

I can see myself getting 3-4 games more at most this calendar year.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This year Day one buys

Titanfall
Infamous
Diablo 3 (instinct buy)
Destiny
Forza Horizon 2

Getting soon

Sunset Overdrive
Halo MCC

And this is like higest number of game I have bought in a year. So on average less than 5 games.

These are averages, but they're pretty accurate when factored over the last 8ish years.

100+ console games (360/One, PS3/4, WiiU)

4 handheld games (Vita, 3DSXL)

12 ios games (ipad/iphone)

4 PC games (triple screen gaming PC)

Hollow

Depends on how many games I'm interested in come out that year.

So far I've bought 8 games this year with Dragon Age Inquisition likely being the last. Next year looks ridiculous in the amount of games so it's probably going to be a lot higher.

I average about 12 retail titles a year. My digital only games vary too much. This year though I got about 7. It's usually much lower than that.

ColdRose

A fair few, though mostly in sales if the price is too good to resist, though my backlog is so huge at this point that I doubt I'll get through it anytime soon.

As for brand new games, very few these days. This year, the only new releases I've bought are Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, Divinity:OS, JULIA: Among the Stars, Wasteland 2 and The Sims 4. In November I'll buy Dragon Age:Inquisition, and that's it for 2014.

My only guaranteed buys for next year are Batman: Arkham Knight, Eternity (already paid for through Kickstarter), Torment and Dead State if they come out next year and TW3 - though I'll be giving birth in February, so I'm not sure I'll be getting it Day One!

Top Bottom