• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Captain Toad info on playable characters, more

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

From EU press:

10th October 2014 - Who’s ready for adventure? Captain Toad certainly is, but he’s not the only one when Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker releases for Wii U on 9th January, with pink-pigtailed Toadette introduced as a second playable character in portions of the upcoming game.

Unlike traditional video game heroes, Captain Toad and Toadette don’t have any special powers – these tiny heroes can’t even jump! Plus, they’re terrified of just about everything, but face their adventures head on. Armed with headlights and a can-do attitude, they must make their way through enemy-infested locales like Wild West shanties and Goomba waterparks. Each location is bursting with puzzles to solve and secrets to unearth.

These tiny heroes are on the hunt for the ultimate treasure, a coveted Power Star. At the beginning of their adventure, Wingo, a giant, greedy bird who makes life difficult for these timid treasure trackers, makes off with their only Power Star, and even whisks away Toadette! Players must then help Captain Toad retrieve the Power Star and Toadette in order to unlock her as a playable character, and ultimately, defeat Wingo. In the process, they’ll encounter more than 70 fun, puzzling stages while also collecting stars and gems.

Captain Toad and his puzzling levels first appeared in Super Mario 3D World for Wii U. The levels were such a hit with fans that he and Toadette are now getting their own game. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is just another way Nintendo is expanding its universe of games with familiar characters facing fun new challenges.

Let the treasure hunt commence on 9th January when Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker releases for Wii U. In the meantime, take a look at what lies in store with a new trailer for the game.

From NA press:

Who’s ready for adventure? Captain Toad certainly is, but he’s not the only one. Pink-pigtailed Toadette joins Captain Toad and makes her debut as a second playable character in portions of the upcoming Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker game.

Armed with a headlight and a can-do attitude, Captain Toad and Toadette must make their way through enemy-infested locales like Wild West shanties and Goomba waterparks. Each location is bursting with puzzles to solve and secrets to unearth. These heroes need to be extra clever in order to tackle these obstacles, since they can’t jump.

These tiny heroes are on the hunt for the ultimate treasure, a coveted Power Star. At the beginning of their adventure, Wingo, a giant, greedy bird who makes life difficult for these timid treasure trackers, makes off with their only Power Star, and even whisks away Toadette. Players must then help Captain Toad retrieve the Power Star and Toadette in order to unlock her as a playable character, and ultimately, defeat Wingo. In the process, they’ll encounter more than 70 fun, puzzling stages while also collecting stars and gems. There will even be different power-ups they can use to their advantage, like the Double Cherry item that makes another copy of Captain Toad or Toadette, making some of those stages even more riveting.

Captain Toad and his puzzling levels first appeared in Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U console. The levels were such a hit with fans that he and Toadette are now getting their own game. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is just another way Nintendo is expanding its universe of games with familiar characters facing fun new challenges.

The Wii U game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Dec. 5 at a suggested retail price of $39.99. For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3_HfXOwlldA

Screens:

http://imgur.com/a/vR9oi/embed?background=f2f2f2&text=1a1a1a&link=4e76c9

Source: http://gonintendo.com

No CT: TT thread is complete without this image:

tumblr_n7jn6mG48H1qhccbco1_500.gif

RRRRRReady for adventure! if old.

Eolz

This could have been in a Nintendo Direct
Glad it's not a 60$ title, would have really hurt the game

Twiforce

Playable Toadette is pretty awesome, but it's kind of insulting that she gets kidnapped and you have to rescue her...

-PXG-

I loooooooove the art direction.

Shit. Gimme a true sequel to Mario RPG with this style, Nintendo

Playable Toadette is pretty awesome, but it's kind of insulting that she gets kidnapped and you have to rescue her...

Let's not start this... Please

Hatchtag

Banned

She doesn't get kidnapped. She greedily holds onto the star the bird's trying to take away, and the bird just doesn't give a fuck and continues to fly away with the star, not giving a fuck if she's on it or not.

Tuck

Same as the japanese trailer released yesterday, but I was up for watching it again. Game looks beautiful. Very likely day one.

Twiforce

She doesn't get kidnapped. She greedily holds onto the star the bird's trying to take away, and the bird just doesn't give a fuck and continues to fly away with the star, not giving a fuck if she's on it or not.

Let's not start this... Please

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start anything, really. I can't help but feel that way. It's just really tiring; as a girl it feels like I always just get a few bones thrown my way regarding cool protagonists sharing my gender, and how often they get whisked away is just...well, it makes me feel like shit. Golden Sun did it with Mia, and Pikmin 3 did it with Brittany. I know that technically Toadette wasn't kidnapped, but i feel like that's just semantics- it's obvious that "the girl" is getting taken away by the big scary boss to be obtained later on, and I just can't help but feel...well, I'd really appreciate if Nintendo would cut that out. Just, all my life, seeing that trope reiterated in every game is really discouraging. It makes me feel like I don't belong, and I hate that feeling.

I wanna be the hero, not the damsel in distress, is all I'm saying. I still think the game is freaking awesome and of course I wanna get it. I'm not going to tell anyone else they shouldn't enjoy it or whatever.

I don't wanna start a big debate or anything, it's just my feelings when I read that.

EDIT: I could also be totally be totally wrong and Toadette actually beats up that crow/escapes herself and then sets off on her own journey or something like that, in which case I'll happily eat crow (no pun intended.)

Akai

Wow, that's even worse, making Toadette to be so greedy...

But seriously, complaints over the "kidnapping" trope are silly and doesn't demean Toadette's character at all...

I'm guessing they just mean she's unlocked after a certain point in the game, a la Luigi in Galaxy 2.

This, plus there are probably Toadette-specific levels...

Hugstable

Banned
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start anything, really. I can't help but feel that way. It's just really tiring; as a girl it feels like I always just get a few bones thrown my way regarding cool protagonists sharing my gender, and how often they get whisked away is just...well, it makes me feel like shit. Golden Sun did it with Mia, and Pikmin 3 did it with Brittany. I know that technically Toadette wasn't kidnapped, but i feel like that's just semantics- it's obvious that "the girl" is getting taken away by the big scary boss to be obtained later on, and I just can't help but feel...well, I'd really appreciate if Nintendo would cut that out. Just, all my life, seeing that trope reiterated in every game is really discouraging. It makes me feel like I don't belong, and I hate that feeling.

I wanna be the hero, not the damsel in distress, is all I'm saying. I still think the game is freaking awesome and of course I wanna get it. I'm not going to tell anyone else they shouldn't enjoy it or whatever.

I don't wanna start a big debate or anything, it's just my feelings when I read that.

EDIT: I could also be totally be totally wrong and Toadette actually beats up that crow/escapes herself and then sets off on her own journey or something like that, in which case I'll happily eat crow (no pun intended.)

Toadette doesn't seem at all like a Damsal in Distress here. Her jumping after the star like that makes her seem like a braver Toad than Captain Kinopio himself lol :D

I know that technically Toadette wasn't kidnapped, but i feel like that's just semantics- it's obvious that "the girl" is getting taken away by the big scary boss to be obtained later on, and I just can't help but feel...well, I'd really appreciate if Nintendo would cut that out.

Is it really that obvious though? Have you seen the entire storyboard from the future?

I think it's likely that this story trope could be occurring again. It certainly is in the track record of Nintendo and video game industry as a whole, but I wouldn't say in this case its obvious. We don't know fully the portrayal of what occurs in this story yet.

So until we are certain how this actually plays out it seems that you are projecting your feelings and frustrations onto this in a way that distracts from the discussion of the game based on speculation.

GimMick

I got excited about that game again watching the Japanese trailer earlier, now I learn it releases right on my birthday!

Not even mad anymore that it won't be out this year over here... I guess it'll leave me some time to enjoy Smash as well.

Weetrick

This game looks GREAT! I think my girlfriend will enjoy playing it with me, which is rare.

Slightly off-topic: I really hope Nintendo releases Captain Toad as a playable character for Smash DLC!

genbatzu

why does the NA press release leaves out one of the most important and interesting (and kind of funny) part?

Unlike traditional video game heroes, Captain Toad and Toadette don’t have any special powers – these tiny heroes can’t even jump! Plus, they’re terrified of just about everything, but face their adventures head on.

afraid of anti-heroes? ôo

Somnid

This game looks GREAT! I think my girlfriend will enjoy playing it with me, which is rare.

Slightly off-topic: I really hope Nintendo releases Captain Toad as a playable character for Smash DLC!

Would be a pretty difficult character to play if they can't jump.

Does Toadette get kidnapped? That would be disappointing.

In the trailer in the OP she is holding on to the power star, refusing to let go, as the bird takes the power star away. Thus she is taken away holding onto the star. One might consider this kidnapping, but its uncertain at this point if she "needs saving" or is just off fending for herself wherever the bird ends up.

Oh, you mean the bird?

It sounds more adventurous. Like, that stuff happens to heroes like Kirby all the time.
Maybe she wasn't kidnapped and she saves herself. I hope so!

Somnid

lol

To be fair though - Link, Little Mac, Villager, Duck Hunt Dog, etc. never really jump either

Yeah but the core concept of Captain Toad is that he is a Toad with a backpack so heavy he cannot jump. It literally breaks the character to have him do that.

Berordn

lol

To be fair though - Link, Little Mac, Villager, Duck Hunt Dog, etc. never really jump either

um excuse me he totally does.

Actually with the exception of Little Mac, all of those characters can and do jump in their games - Link jumps at ledges, Villager jumps when diving into water from clifftops. Little Mac never jumps in his games but it's never explicitly said that he can't jump... and they actually incorporate that into his playstyle by making him awful in the air.

Twiforce

Toadette doesn't seem at all like a Damsal in Distress here. Her jumping after the star like that makes her seem like a braver Toad than Captain Kinopio himself lol :D

I know, right? ;) Super cool! I just worry that after that she's gonna get thrown in a cage you have to get her out of. ^^;

Is it really that obvious though? Have you seen the opening cinematic from the future?

I think it's likely that this story trope could be occurring again. It certainly is in the track record of Nintendo and video game industry as a whole, but I wouldn't say in this case its obvious. We don't know fully the portrayal of what occurs in this story yet.

So until we are certain how this actually plays out it seems that you are projecting your feelings and frustrations onto this in a way that distracts from the discussion of the game based on speculation.

You're right, I am projecting my frustrations onto this game. I was just really excited when I saw Toadette in this game, and then I saw her getting carried away and my kneejerk reaction was "oh no, not this shit again."

And like I said, I don't know how the game's story plays out- I could totally be wrong here in which cause I'll happily admit I was wrong. I just worry, knowing Nintendo's track record as you said.

Oh, you mean the bird?

It sounds more adventurous. Like, that stuff happens to heroes like Kirby all the time.
Maybe she wasn't kidnapped and she saves herself. I hope so!

I hope so too! Maybe I'm just being a pessimist.

wmlk

Honestly, this game is so silly and fun that I don't think there's much of an aspect of 'Damsel in Distress' going on here.

I feel like that this is a parody of that more than anything. It's cliche for the sake of being cliche.

E-phonk

Banned

Like someone else said in another thread: Nintendo has had playable female characters in all their firstparty games released this year on WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom