• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight coming out in November for Europe and Australia

L~A

Just announced:

Bz8kVr-IYAAaNDU.png:large

Message (important if you backed the game on Kickstarter):

Hey Shovelonians! Believe it or not, we can finally confirm that Shovel Knight will be releasing in Europe and Australia in November for the Wii U and 3DS!! We are working on pinning down the exact day still, but the wait is almost over.

Kickstarter unfortunately doesn’t know if you live in Europe or Australia (or what your system regions are), so we need everyone to go to their Humble download page and fill out a survey so we can distribute Nintendo codes properly once the game is out! If you are expecting a backer copy of Shovel Knight on a European or Australian region Nintendo system then please follow the steps below as soon as you can! Within the week if possible!

Visit https://www.humblebundle.com/?s=resender and enter your backer email. This is the email you sent us in the original Kickstarter survey. If you don’t remember filling that out, then try your Kickstarter account email. This will send you an email with the download page links for Shovel Knight. Or as an alternative, go to your Humble (https://www.humblebundle.com/login?goto=/home&qs=) and log into your account.
Open the download page for your Shovel Knight key
Click the link that says “Click here for your Shovel Knight Nintendo Key Voucher”
Click the voucher link that appears.
Fill out the form and click submit.
You’re done! If you’re in Australia or Europe, you should be receiving a code for your 3DS or Wii U copy of Shovel Knight when it is released in November.

Thank you European and Australian region players for hanging in there with us for so long. We learned some new things and have a wealth of ideas for how we can improve on in the future. We’re truly sorry for the delay.

Almost...

Mr-Joker

Banned
I forgot that this game was even coming out, kinda lost hype for it. I will still get the game regardless but watching the US gush about the game was annoying.

well since we won't get smash in november, that's kinda nice.

For them? Yes, since Smash Bros won't kill their sales. For us? Nope, it just mean more waiting time.

L~A

Hopefully, it's early november, and not Nov. 31 :)

Who wanna bet this comes out before SMT4? :p

Alphahawk

Kinda weird that Europe is only getting this now. It's not like they have to ship an actual physical product or anything.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Kinda weird that Europe is only getting this now. It's not like they have to ship an actual physical product or anything.

They didn't start the localisation process until after they'd released the NA version. It took 'em this long to have everything translated and to pass lotcheck.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Good stuff. Will buy.

Can't decide of 3DS or Wii U though...

same... don't care about the upcoming (?) multiplayer so that's not a plus for WiiU.
I wish there was a demo just to get an idea on how it looks on an OG 3DS' screen and U's Gamepad.

I'm sure YCG has lost a shitton of potential sales by releasing the game this late over here, I feel like many will wait for a sale to bite, hype kinda deflated and it's understandable

L~A

They already explained the delay. They actually translated the game in several european languages (which took a while). Then they had to implement the translation, test it throughly, then send everything for certification, send the game at PEGI/USK/ACB, etc... It all adds up.

At least this should stop people complaining every week...no wait, they'll just complain on every Monday in November when the press release has no Shovel Knight (until it comes).

meppi

About time! They better give me the option to play it in English.
If I have to play in shitty Dutch, I will rage!

Does Australia just automatically get the European version? I doubt there are any other languages offered relevant in Australia (officially) other than English, so it would make more sense for them to get the US version. This is strictly in terms of a digital game, as I didn't think that PAL or NTSC would be relevant here, but I guess it's just some historical region locking.

Jamix012

PS4 version coming next I hope.

This is port begging :/

But I think they said they'd only start working on ports to other systems after they'd patched in all the additional stuff they promised on Kickstarter. Don't let that dissaude you from buying though, the single player experience is very much a complete game, and absolutely fantastic.

Meh, still not even a proper date. YAY GET EXCITED AFTER ALL THIS TIME NOW FOR SOME UNKNOWN TIME DURING THE ENTIRE MONTH OF NOV!

There better be some kind of launch price special or something for those patient enough to still be anticipating the release after all the waiting.

Hopefully, it's early november, and not Nov. 31 :)

Knowing this game, a PAL release date of Nov 31st would totally be accurate.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

But I think they said they'd only start working on ports to other systems after they'd patched in all the additional stuff they promised on Kickstarter. Don't let that dissaude you from buying though, the single player experience is very much a complete game, and absolutely fantastic.

It's not port begging if the devs themselves have said multiple times that the game is coming out on every platform under the sun, is it?

thefro

Does Australia just automatically get the European version? I doubt there are any other languages offered relevant in Australia (officially) other than English, so it would make more sense for them to get the US version. This is strictly in terms of a digital game, as I didn't think that PAL or NTSC would be relevant here, but I guess it's just some historical region locking.

It took until September for the Australian Classification board to give the game a rating.

My understanding is all the regions are going to be identical in terms of languages going forward (i.e., whenever the next NA patch hits for Wii U/3DS those extra language options go in).

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's not port begging if the devs themselves have said multiple times that the game is coming out on every platform under the sun, is it?

They've said they want to bring it to every platform that makes sense, not that they're actually doing it or have concrete plans to bring it everywhere/anywhere else.

Either way, they definitely won't announce anything until after the PAL Wii U/3DS version is out and the dust has settled. Nintendo loyalty is working for them, so they're gonna milk it while they can.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
title was weird since it didnt mention platforms, and Ive had this for ages in europe (on steam of course). good news for nintendo only owners then

Grizzo

Well I'll repeat what I said in the other thread: it's about damn time

They already explained the delay. They actually translated the game in several european languages (which took a while). Then they had to implement the translation, test it throughly, then send everything for certification, send the game at PEGI/USK/ACB, etc... It all adds up.

But it was already available for PC right? So wasn't the localization already done?

Yagharek

Australia gets the European version. Usually we have several languages to choose from in a lot of games. For a while on DS, being region free, Australia got US versions essentially for games like Animal Crossing Wide World and Phoenix Wright IIRC. Which then led to link-over conflicts with Animal Crossing City Folk on Wii since the Wii version was PAL and the DS version "NTSC".

I understand why Shovel Knight took so long to come to Australia (our shitty classification system) and it took a while for Europe because of translation into multiple languages didn't it?

For people who have played the game, which is the better version, 3DS or Wii U? Is there any substantial difference between the versions?

thefro

But it was already available for PC right? So wasn't the localization already done?

The PC version launched as English-only and had the other languages patched in about a month ago in ver 1.2. That was once the localization was done for the European versions and was basically ready to send to NOE lot check.

My understanding is NOE at least requires the game description and game manual are both translated. Yacht Club went ahead and had the full game translated as well.

Grizzo

The PC version launched as English-only and had the other languages patched in about a month ago in ver 1.2. That was once the localization was done for the European versions and was basically ready to send to NOE lot check.

My understanding is NOE at least requires the game description and game manual are both translated. Yacht Club went ahead and had the full game translated as well.

I see... thanks for your answer!

Europe is always gonna get the short end of the stick when it comes to release dates... So many languages to translate to :(

Xav

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Shovel Knight
Captain Toad Treasure Tacker (if you live in the US)

If you're okay with "quality over quantity", then 2014 has been a pretty awesome year to own a Wii U.

@MUWANdo

Banned
For people who have played the game, which is the better version, 3DS or Wii U? Is there any substantial difference between the versions?

Wii U has in-game Miiverse functionality, 3DS has a StreetPass battle mode (and 3D, obviously).

The multiplayer mode that's coming in a future update will not be coming to 3DS, only PC/Wii U.

Phil S.

Banned
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Shovel Knight
Captain Toad Treasure Tacker (if you live in the US)

If you're okay with "quality over quantity", then 2014 has been a pretty awesome year to own a Wii U.

Don't forget Hyrule Warriors-- unless that was intentional. It's hard to tell since you have a Link avatar! haha

CDX

The main difference is what screen or controller you prefer.

Sure the PC/Wii U will have the 4 player battle mode patched in sometime later & the 3DS version has Streetpass battles, but other than those differences it's basically the same exact game.

Yagharek

Wii U has in-game Miiverse functionality, 3DS has a StreetPass battle mode (and 3D, obviously).

The multiplayer mode that's coming in a future update will not be coming to 3DS, only PC/Wii U.

The main difference is what screen or controller you prefer.

Sure the PC/Wii U will have the 4 player battle mode patched in sometime later & the 3DS version has Streetpass battles, but other than those differences it's basically the same exact game.

Thanks for the info. I'm probably leaning towards the Wii U version at the moment then, but we'll see.

jholmes

Good stuff. Will buy.

Can't decide of 3DS or Wii U though...

The Miiverse functionality is just perfect on Wii U, and it is getting multiplayer down the line.

There is a StreetPass function for 3DS so if you get StreetPasses a lot you might dig it, but it does seem like a bit of a gimmick.

It happens consistently in each and every Shovel Knight thread and I don't see it ending now.

I don't believe they have said that. They have said ports are likely but they are also obligated to deliver a lot more on Wii U/3DS/PC, and have said several times that that is where their energy is going.

Xav

Don't forget Hyrule Warriors-- unless that was intentional. It's hard to tell since you have a Link avatar! haha

I love the Zelda games but Hyrule Warriors just comes across as a lazy Dynasty Warriors re-skin. I would of personally gone with a Ninja Gaiden style game featuring Sheik as the main character as a base idea and build on that.

Moff

wow, that is so pathetic
and I actually wanted this on the 3DS, but I'm glad I didnt wait and bought it on steam at launch

Ansatz

I honestly don't mind this was delayed, as if I'm not swamped with games as is.

I love the Zelda games but Hyrule Warriors just comes across as a lazy Dynasty Warriors re-skin. I would of personally gone with a Ninja Gaiden style game featuring Sheik as the main character as a base idea and build on that.

The execution of HW is anything but lazy. This was more a case of "if we give you the Zelda skin, would you bring the Musou series to our console?" kind of a thing, not "let's make a Zelda spinoff, what are the possibilities?"

The execution of HW is anything but lazy. This was more a case of "if we give you the Zelda skin, would you bring the Musou series to our console?" kind of a thing, not "let's make a Zelda spinoff, what are the possibilities?"
Apparently the developers wanted to be more like that latter but Miyamoto shot them down. I guess it is a fair criticism of the developers not being to make a good one so better they don't try as the developer really hasn't done the best things outside of Dynastry Warriors (or within for that matter).

69wpm

My reaction at this point is "oh".

Busy time of year, sorry to say, would've got this back in July...

Same. My play time is limited enough, I just don't have time for one more game. At least not now, maybe next year :(

Can anyone tell me how many lines of text there are in Shovel Knight? Does it have a lot of text?

From experience, I know that, if you want to release your game worldwide, you can do it, even as an indie. I know because I worked on a game translation. The translation began months before the release. Now that game didn't have that much text so maybe that made a difference.

Top Bottom