• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Dark Souls PC to migrate from GFWL to Steam in Nov (Details in OP)

Grief.exe

UPDATE 2:

We are very excited to announce that next month it will be possible for players to migrate their Dark Souls: Prepare to Die games, saves and achievements from the Games for Windows Live platform to Steam.

• Games for Windows Live users will be able to redeem their Games for Windows Live Tokens on Steam to get Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost. (To find your Games for Windows Live Token, please head to the support webpage.)
  • In the month of November, there will be a period by which Games for Windows Live Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition users will be able to transfer their Save Data (characters + progress) and Achievements over to their Steam accounts.
  • Players will still be able to use their Games for Windows Live Tokens to redeem the Steam version of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost even after the migration period ends; but game Save Data and Achievements transfer functions may not be available.
  • Games for Windows Live Rankings will not be transferred to Steam.
  • The specific migration start and end dates will be available soon; however the migration period will begin sometime in November 2014 with more specific dates to come.

We will be sharing more information soon regarding the migration process soon, so stay tuned!

Join the Bandai Namco Games America Community!

http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/100546461401/we-are-very-excited-to-announce-that-next-month-it

UPDATE 1:

That was the confirmation I was waiting for. Dark Souls will have GFWL removed.

B0bp3vYCAAAzVEC.png:large

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Grief_exe/stats/211420/?tab=achievements

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/211420/achievements (Global Page is not currently working)

It's strange that From/Namco haven't been working on a beta branch for Dark Souls. Hopefully, they have been developing something internally and just need to push the patch to /public.

Sami+

FUCKING FINALLY

(I don't even care about the achievements, I just want to be able to actually PLAY without jumping through a million hoops)

Joey Ravn

Banned
That's great. I already S-Ranked the game on GFWL... but given how much I disliked DSII, I might give Dark Souls another go.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't know if I should be happy or angry

aember

God damn it I'm happy about all the games that are getting GFWL removed, but every time there's news like this and it doesn't include Lost Planet 2 - I lose a piece of my heart. :(

Saroyan

Thats cool if its doing away with GFWL, the online seemed to be working ok last saturday, I got invaded twice in about 20 mins

GFWL hasn't been working well with logging in lately. If this goes well then that's good.

If it goes anything like SSFIV Arcade Edition's transition did and is still going, I will be thoroughly displeased.

dugdug

Banned
Pretty sure this'll be the first game I buy when I get my Alpha next month. And then, I'll have had it on all three platforms.

Because I'm a masochist, I guess.

papercamm

I would be thrilled for this to happen. So many more people would be able to play it easily without the BS of windows live.

GFWL hasn't been working well with logging in lately. If this goes well then that's good.

If it goes anything like SSFIV Arcade Edition's transition did and is still going, I will be thoroughly displeased.
Since I upgraded to a new PC, I've been unable to log into GFWL when starting up Dark Souls. It just fails to download my profile. SSFIV was working fine for me last I tried though.

madjoki

Very excited for this.

If it screws up saves like when they converted batman I'd be pretty pissed.

Didn't Namco release patcher for Ace Combat, they might do same for Dark Souls? (Or it might be because of devs).

Else we might get unofficial converted like for Batmans (assuming format stays the same).

Since I upgraded to a new PC, I've been unable to log into GFWL when starting up Dark Souls. It just fails to download my profile. SSFIV was working fine for me last I tried though.

Arcade Edition/ Ultra on PC is a stuttery broken mess. You can get decent endless with friends, but that's it. And Capcom's handling of it has been abysmal.

Grief.exe

Will the supposed patch ruin my save?

GFWL actually encrypts its save and config files, so they likely won't work out of the box unless From/Namco specifically allow them to.

Even if they don't, there will probably be a fan-made patcher available.

Arcade Edition/ Ultra on PC is a stuttery broken mess. You can get decent endless with friends, but that's it. And Capcom's handling of it has been abysmal.

Have you upgraded to the Beta patch?

Only Lost Planet and Bulletstorm remain.

Microsoft still has a few titles attached to the format that I would love to see on Steam.

Gears of War
Halo 2
Viva Pinata
Fable III
Shadowrun

Lain

I'd prefer having Durante's fix become baseline to be completely honest but it's a step in the right direction if anything.

Have you upgraded to the Beta patch?

The beta didn't do anything, dude. It worked for a couple days and then was trash. The beta has now also been replaced by 1.03, which did literally nothing to fix the online issues that have been persisting for months, and instead "fixed" an issue that never existed before Ultra by not allowing people to join endless lobbies with games in progress.

Top Bottom