• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo partners with Loot Crate for a creative way to deliver amiibo to fans

maxcriden

Nintendo has teamed up with Loot Crate for a limited-time amiibo distribution. Those who sign up for an “amiibo Subscription Service” will receive 10 pre-selected amiibo separated into three special Loot Crate shipments throughout the holiday season.

Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Fox and Yoshi are included in the shipments. The other five figures will be revealed through Loot Crate soon.

Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing, said of today’s news:

“Featuring compatibility with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors this year, amiibo figures are shaping up to be one of the year’s must-have holiday items. Fans around the country already enjoy Loot Crate’s approach to delivering cool new items every month, and now they have a new and convenient way to get their hands on amiibo.”

Loot Crate CEO Chris Davis also commented:

“We are honored to be working with Nintendo – a company that our team loves and respects, and that many of us grew up with. The iconic Super Smash Bros. games have brought people together for years, and we’re excited to become a part of that story in a new way through our amiibo Subscription Service.”

Nintendo and Loot Crate are also teasing “a few additional surprises” for Smash Bros. and amiibo fans that will be shared in the future.

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...ve-way-to-deliver-amiibo-to-fans/#more-178687

Pretty good news for fans of Loot Crate and Nintendo. I really liked the idea of LC but haven't really been pushed to subscribe. Hope they get more tie ins like this.

georly

But I already preordered all the amiibo... what do I do!?

What if they get a limited colored amiibo? Ahhhhhhhhhh.

RoadDogg

Signed up to be notified and will sign up if it maintains the current loot crate pricing (~$20 shipped). I don't even really want many of the Amiibo after seeing their final quality but at $6 a piece it seems worth it.

massoluk

Banned
Nintendo and Loot Crate are also teasing “a few additional surprises” for Smash Bros. and amiibo fans that will be shared in the future.
Will cry if limited release, unobtainable elsewhere

That's cool and would get me interested in Loot Crate. I did once think about getting a subscription but held off.
This could change my mind, at least for a month or so.

EDIT:

Also what if this is the only place to get a good Marth amiibo and a Peach-with-undies amiibo?
OH THE POSSIBILITIES!!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Never heard of Loot Crate. I'll be honest, I've always found this concept of geek culture odd. Like most of things I'm apparently meant to like on top of gaming because they both fall under this geek umbrella don't appeal to me.

Hope those teased ""additional surprises” for Smash Bros. and amiibo fans" is general and not exclusive.

Jintor

SuperBestFriends promos gonna get fuckin hype as shittttttt

next sign up with naturebox to produce delicious nintendo-themed healthy snacks plz

CRA5H

Are all amiibos compatible with other amiibo compatible games? For instance, Marth amiibo only used in Smash Bros? Or can it be used in other games. Or the Mario smash amiibo be used in Mario Kart 8?

Weetrick

This is a great partnership. I'm not gonna sign on, but it's nice to see Nintendo acknowledge that fans want to buy/collect their merchandise.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are all amiibos compatible with other amiibo compatible games? For instance, Marth amiibo only used in Smash Bros? Or can it be used in other games. Or the Mario smash amiibo be used in Mario Kart 8?

Short answer, no. If you buy an obscure character like Marth it may only end up being compatible with a small number of games.

Golnei

Mario Kart uses a 'generic' version of the amiibo functionality, so any amiibo of a compatible character, including those from the Smash Bros. line, will work with it. The Marth amiibo doesn't have any specific functionality with other games at this point, but it can be used to generate materials in Hyrule Warriors, and might possibly have some use in SMTxFE.

This sounds fun. Never knew about it until now. Think I'll do it.
Its great if you have the extra money.

Also lots of youtubers and podcast have promo codes out there but I have non myself atm.

So you get random stuff for a small fee, right? How do they earn money? In the website it says you pay $15 and they give you $40+ of products.
They have deals with these companies and buy bulk etc just like any other store.
Its a "$40 value" if you where to go to each company and buy everything individually and ship everything etc.

joedick

So you get random stuff for a small fee, right? How do they earn money? In the website it says you pay $15 and they give you $40+ of products.

They buy bulk from the producers of the swag at a discount. I imagine some of it is stuff that they weren't able to completely sell that was lying around a warehouse, or some of it could be written off by the company providing loot as a marketing expense - they're getting stuff into the hands of their target demographic, very valuable for some companies.

mclem

Might as well ask the key question:

Have Amiibos been confirmed to be region-free? I mean, there's very little reason for them to be region-locked, but I wouldn't put it past Nintendo going the extra mile to include that feature.

That is the "great" thing about the amiibo's you buy 1 mario figure and it works on all Nintendo games that support the mario figure.
So a sort of buy once use forever that is also why I assume its more expensive then skylanders and/or disney infinity

wiibomb

this is a very intersting partnership ...but why is it novel?

btw, I wonder when they will start giving them out, knowing certainly would help me jump at the exact moment :p

this is a very intersting partnership ...but why is it novel?

btw, I wonder when they will start giving them out, knowing certainly would help me jump at the exact moment :p
Just sing up the email thing and I assume you get a email when it goes live :p

Just sounds like something cool to be able to look forward to each month.
That is they way to are selling it you pay for a surprice that is geek and/or video game related every month.
And so far the floks that have used it are very happy with it.
I would go for it if I had the extra money every month.

Just a heads up for those who aren't fully aware of what loocrate is: unless you're very much into general geek/tumblr culture, chances are you won't care for what you will find inside the boxes they send you. You can see the contents of some of the boxes over at Ashens' channel https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ashens+loot+crate.
I'm not saying these amiibo bundles might not be worth it, but personally I'd wait and see what sort of stuff they're going to send.

NewGame

Banned
I don't really understand this lootcreate thing but it looks like you get a bunch of mcdonalds toy crap for $30 per month? Its not even video game themed its a blase mix of pop culture trash.

I'd rather buy my stuff outright thanks.

joedick

I don't really understand this lootcreate thing but it looks like you get a bunch of mcdonalds toy crap for $30 per month? Its not even video game themed its a blase mix of pop culture trash.

I'd rather buy my stuff outright thanks.

I agree, it's more for people who embrace anything labeled 'geek' regardless of what it is. (this same line of thinking is why Big Bang Theory is so successful.) They're out there, though so I get why this exists.

Top Bottom