• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo: Toon Link compatible with MK8. Toon Link, Zelda, and Sheik compatible with HW

evanmisha

BSGjfLP.png

The new update to the Amiibo section of NCL's website lists Zelda, Sheik, and Toon Link as compatible with Hyrule Warriors, and the latter also compatible with Mario Kart 8.

While I'd assumed Hyrule Warriors would be compatible with the rest of the Legend of Zelda Smash U Amiibo, I wasn't sure if Nintendo would continue to roll out Mii costumes for future Amiibo.

If Toon Link and Shiek unlock weapons as well that would be awesome. The other amiibos are technically compatible as well, since they unlock random items (as mentioned in the asterisk).

WonderzL

Banned
Toon Link in Mario Kart 8 is really strange to me. The Zelda characters in HW are no surprise, though.
Toon Link playable in both

random25

I hope Megaman amiibo gets a Mii costume in MK8, though I understand it may take some talks with Capcom for that.

My guess is that Toon Link has a generic Link element to him, so he unlocks the Link Uniform like OG Link would.

I imagine Zelda and Sheik unlock unique weapons like OG Link, whereas Toon Link might just unlock Spinner again.

I hope Megaman amiibo gets a Mii costume in MK8, though I understand it may take some talks with Capcom for that.

He's not listed as compatible.

The Mario Kart 8 ones are:

Mario
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Link
Fox
Samus
Kirby
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Toon Link

The new addition being Toon Link, but I wonder if they will make it so his costume is the same as Link's?

Dryk

Odds are Toon Link has his own ID but the games are set up so that he unlocks the Link stuff. Zelda's already confirmed to be getting an Amiibo weapon so I'd already assumed Sheik and Ganon would too.

I'm glad we're getting a Link with a less obnoxious stand now instead of later, sucks about Cpt Falcon though. I wanted one <.<

I don't see why all amiibo figures aren't compatible with Mario Kart 8. I mean, if all they add is a costume, and some of them being very basic, then it shouldn't take long to add all the characters that are in Smash. They could at least add some value to figures like Ness and Wii Fit Trainer by doing this.

Jeels

This is going to get ridiculously confusing as more Amiibo and more amiibo compatible games come out. Nintendo really botched this.

ozfunghi

He's not listed as compatible.

The Mario Kart 8 ones are:

Mario
Peach
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Link
Fox
Samus
Kirby
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Toon Link

The new addition being Toon Link, but I wonder if they will make it so his costume is the same as Link's?

No Bowser??

This is going to get ridiculously confusing as more Amiibo and more amiibo compatible games come out. Nintendo really botched this.

I don't see it as a misstep even though everyone has expectations based on Disney and Skylanders. I am glad Nintendo did not go me too copycat right at the start

this is shaping up to be more of an achievement and trophy type of feature it will be interesting to see how all games use them in the future

if you own just one of them and they start doing little unlocks to over 50 different games it means a lot more I think.

besides the game that uses them alone should be in the works anyway

Golnei

I think they are all - besides Skyward Sword Link - generic art used in promotional materials. But I could be wrong!

Most are reused renders, except for Fox and Captain Falcon, who are using alternate versions of their SSB4 models. Though considering Samus is using a render from Prime 1, I'm surprised they bothered creating new renders for Fox and Falcon when they could have gotten away with recycling GX or SF643D art.

Lol I read that as amiibo in mortal kombat cause I forgot they were on ten and was tricked into thinking it could be in wii u somehow

What's weird is how Link's art is 2D while all of the others are 3D models.
Yes but the Link art is the official Mario Kart 8 Link art, which is why I thought it may confirm the others down the line.

Also Link is a racer. Mario's model matches an Amiibo, so sneak peak of future Amiibos? I am buying Luigi then!
Oh yeah! The Mario art matches the second Mario amiibo that we've seen. Secret confirmation that all these will have those poses for a Series 2 of amiibos? Would be neat. Luigi needs a non plastic model.

Just make HW ammibo already!
I'd buy every character even if they didn't do anything in any other game and were as crappy quality as the first 2 waves.

Blues1990

Huh. So, does it say anything about what the Toon Link Amiibo is capable of (unlocking costumes, a King of Red Lions kart?) in Mario Kart 8? Given that there are only 10 costumes, I would assume he does the same thing as the regular ol' Link Amiibo for that game.

evanmisha

Huh. So, does it say anything about what the Toon Link Amiibo is capable of (unlocking costumes, a King of Red Lions kart?) in Mario Kart 8? Given that there are only 10 costumes, I would assume he does the same thing as the regular ol' Link Amiibo for that game.

Nothing confirmed either way.

I don't see why all amiibo figures aren't compatible with Mario Kart 8. I mean, if all they add is a costume, and some of them being very basic, then it shouldn't take long to add all the characters that are in Smash. They could at least add some value to figures like Ness and Wii Fit Trainer by doing this.

Licensing

Most of the ones that are compatible are EAD titles, or otherwise core Nintendo franchises. Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Earthbound require cooperating with outside groups just like Sonic and Mega Man.

Licensing

Most of the ones that are compatible are EAD titles, or otherwise core Nintendo franchises. Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Earthbound require cooperating with outside groups just like Sonic and Mega Man.

I don't think this is the reason. Kirby is one of the costumes available, and I doubt it would take much work to be able to put Pokemon and Fire Emblem in.

Haldinian

Most are reused renders, except for Fox and Captain Falcon, who are using alternate versions of their SSB4 models. Though considering Samus is using a render from Prime 1, I'm surprised they bothered creating new renders for Fox and Falcon when they could have gotten away with recycling GX or SF643D art.
Yes, I noticed too after the Direct. It's weird that just Fox and C.Falcon have totally new renders based on his Smash appearance (well, actually Fox has that look since Command except in SF 64 3D and Falcon is not that different of his F-Zero X/GX look).

These new renders could be only for MK8... or maaaybe they're from the already confirmed new Star Fox and a new F-Zero.

Top Bottom