• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor | Launch Thread

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
warlordsofdraenorlaun1asew.png

Welcome to the launch thread for Warlords of Draenor. I have tried to make this as easy to read as possible. If you want more in-depth discussions, the regular WoW thread is readily available here.
Anyway, share your thoughts and plans for the launch of this expansion. I'll see you on Draenor.

releaseinformation0wslv.png

Release Date | November 13, 2014 - WORLDWIDE
Unlocks

• Europe at 12:00 a.m. CET on Thursday, November 13
  • North America (US) at 12:00 a.m. PST (1:00 a.m. Mountain, 2:00 a.m. CST, 3:00 a.m. EST) on Thursday, November 13
  • Oceanic will launch at the same time as the US.
  • Korea at 12:00 a.m. KST on Tuesday, November 18
  • Taiwan at 12:00 a.m. CST on Tuesday, November 18
  • China at 12:00 a.m. CST on Tuesday, November 18
Platform | PC & Mac
Price (RRP) | $49.99 US ($89.99 Collector’s Edition)

sc5bu8v.png

Genre | MMORPG
Players | 1-40
Developer | Blizzard Entertainment
Rating(s) | ESRB: T / PEGI: 12 / GRB: 15

newfeatures44sor.png

• Level cap raised to 100, new level 100 talents
  • New world: Draenor of a parallel past, homeworld of the orcs and the last refuge of the draenei. (7 zones, 1 PvP zone)
  • Player character revamp for the pre-Cataclysm races
  • Build and upgrade your own garrison
  • Item and stat changes
  • Changes to stats - removing hit, expertise, dodge, and parry
  • Dynamic Primary stat on Armor
  • Item squish
  • Inventory updates including the Toy Box, the Reagent Bank and a second Void Storage tab and item sorting.
  • Random item upgrades. Quest rewards have a chance of being upgraded to rare or epic quality. Raid loot, heroic dungeon loot and epic crafted gear has chance to randomly gain tertiary stats, a bonus socket or an item level upgrade similar to Warforged.
  • Group Finder - a new feature to find players and form groups for 5-40 player activities. The new tool for finding groups for all types of group events, including dungeons, raids, scenarios, battlegrounds and arena, the Group Finder brings together the Dungeon Finder, Raid Finder, Player vs. Player interface and scenario interfaces, and adds new options for forming custom premade groups. Cross-realm capable.
  • A level 90 character upgrade. Players will be able to instantly boost one character to level 90, which may be a pre-existing or newly created character.
  • New permanent ability bonuses
  • Refined quest log and system with hundreds of new quests
  • 8 new dungeons, 3 for leveling and 3 for max-level, as well as a revamped Upper Blackrock Spire
  • Restructured raid difficulty structure, with expanded use of 5.4's Flexible Raid scaling technology:
  • Raid size changes
  • Raid Finder (10-30 players).
  • Normal (10-30 players, roughly equivalent to 5.4's Flexible difficulty).
  • Heroic (10-30 players, roughly equivalent to 5.4's Normal difficulty).
  • Mythic (20 players, roughly equivalent to 5.4's Heroic difficulty).

PvP
  • Upgrades to battleground systems, including objective displays, scoreboard upgrades and new rewards
  • Ashran - a new sandbox PvP zone featuring bases, vehicles and quests in an uncapped and dynamically changing battle
  • Skirmishes readded for 2v2s and 3v3s
  • Tarren Mill vs Southshore - a new 40v40 "team deathmatch-style" battleground, available only for a limited time
  • War Game changes
  • All mounts will work as ground mounts.

storycusbw.png

Official

It is the era of an Old Horde, forged with steel rather than fel blood. A union of great orc clans, the Iron Horde, tramples the planet Draenor beneath terrifying war machines. Azeroth falls next. Worlds uncounted will follow.

You must mount a desperate charge on Draenor – savage home of orcs and adopted bastion of stoic draenei – at this pivotal moment. Your allies are legends from across time; your fortress a foothold in an alien land.
Lead the armies of one world against another…before the future itself is unmade.

Following the events of Siege of Orgrimmar, Garrosh Hellscream was imprisoned to be tried in Pandaria. Before the trial can conclude, aided by an ally who can manipulate the timelines, Garrosh escapes to Draenor of
the past, and prevents the orcs from ever drinking the blood of Mannoroth, creating an untainted Iron Horde under the leadership of Grommash Hellscream.

usefullinks9dssd.png

Wowhead

Gearing up: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=2688/gearing-up-in-warlords-of-draenor
Garrison guides: http://www.wowhead.com/guides=13

Icy Veins

Class guides (updated for patch 6.0.3): http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/class-guides

Twitch

Lots of people will be streaming the launch: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Mr. Robot

Garrison guide: http://blog.askmrrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Garrisons1.png

Son1x

Been waiting in line for about half an hour. 200 people left in front.

Kazzak EU.

Good thing I logged on early.

Was planning on leveling my priest to 60 and boosting her but its a bit too late for that so I'll just play my shaman.

I still don't understand the alternate universe / time travel thing. How can they travel through time and to another universe? Why does their dark portal connect to ours and not their own Azeroth equivalent? How did Garrosh orchestrate any of this without coming across as insane to the Draenor orcs?

cdyhybrid

I still don't understand the alternate universe / time travel thing. How can they travel through time and to another universe? Why does their dark portal connect to ours and not their own Azeroth equivalent? How did Garrosh orchestrate any of this without coming across as insane to the Draenor orcs?

Bronze Dragons.

Shahadan

Bronze dragon artifact. It was used to link their world to ours because it came from it.
There is a short story on their website with Garrosh meeting the old horde for the first time.

FourMyle

"Changes to stats - removing hit, expertise, dodge, and parry"

Why did they remove these?

Note: Last time I played WoW was my sophomore year in HS back in 2006 :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Started up again with the most recent patch and boosted to 90 on a Human Paladin I made. Spent a couple of weeks gearing up to an ilvl of 541 and got the Garrosh Heroic weapon, so I'm feeling pretty ready for the expansion. Pretty stoked for it!

Shahadan

"Changes to stats - removing hit, expertise, dodge, and parry"

Why did they remove these?

Note: Last time I played WoW was my sophomore year in HS back in 2006 :p

Because it was beyond annoying and forced people to constantly reforge everytime they get a new piece of gear. So, it's just not on gear anymore.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Permanent ability booster, what's that?

Sooo hyped for this, been waiting for months on end!! I wish I had taken some time off work like a few of my Guild mates haha

//ARCANUM

I don't even play WOW (have played a little in the past but never had a character higher than lvl 3) but I've got the collector's edition shipping to me right now. I collect them and all blizzard stuff. I have a problem. And I'm okay with it lol.

Only missing item in my WOW collection is the vanilla game collectors edition. I don't even want a working cd key, just the game box and contents for display. One day!

I don't even play WOW (have played a little in the past but never had a character higher than lvl 3) but I've got the collector's edition shipping to me right now. I collect them and all blizzard stuff. I have a problem. And I'm okay with it lol.

Only missing item in my WOW collection is the vanilla game collectors edition. I don't even want a working cd key, just the game box and contents for display. One day!

You wanna buy mine for $800? That's how much I paid for it during TBC.

//ARCANUM

nooooooope. waiting for a good deal on just the box on ebay. I scored a burning crusade box and contents on ebay for a great deal of 20$ one day. Doubt I'll ever get vanilla for that low, but holding out hope for something reasonable.

Bronze dragon artifact. It was used to link their world to ours because it came from it.
There is a short story on their website with Garrosh meeting the old horde for the first time.

Bronze Dragons.

Where I get confused is that this is not, iirc, a time travel story? Garrosh has gone to another universe's past Draenor? If it was just time travel, okay I get it whatever.

But somehow the Bronze Dragons who could only travel through time can now travel through different universes? How did they get this relic in the first place if it came from the other universe? Why help Garrosh at all? Why isn't the Infinite Dragonflight doing this?

I shouldn't have to read books to understand the basic premise for an expansion.

Rafterman

Banned
I'm excited for this expansion. Waited until the absolute last minute and got my legendary cloak and heirloom in one sitting this morning. I'm ready to go.

Shahadan

Where I get confused is that this is not, iirc, a time travel story? Garrosh has gone to another universe's past Draenor?

And somehow the Bronze Dragons who could only travel through time can now travel through different universes? How did they get this relic in the first place if it came from the other universe?

I shouldn't have to read books to understand the setup for an expansion.

Then people would complain books are useless. Also, we players powered the artifact in 5.4. It came from Azeroth, not draenor.
It's not "another dimension" it's just one of the possible timelines we go back to, something bronze dragons always talked about since forever.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

there is a "working CD key" version on Amazon for $700 with a box with "two rips" on it... I mean it's ridiculously under-priced especially for a valid CD key.. and doesn't sound super confident... but I've looked a few times at it already.

otherwise cheapest I've seen a valid copy/key for is like $2K.

does it have a working key?

edit - CE will always be "the one that got away". I had it in my hands at best buy on Nov 24 2004... then said "there's no way I can pay $80 for this......" and put it down and grabbed a regular copy.. then at the register said "fuck this" and ran back only to find some dude with it in his hands while running back... meanwhile 3 out of 5 of my friends all had their little diablo pet.. :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Already answered a bit, but a little more detail: The device that allowed Garrosh to be sent back to this specific time, and this specific Draenor (it's a slightly different timeline even before he shows up) Is called the Hourglass of Eternity, which was made/manipulated by the Bronze dragon Kairoz. As the Hourglass is from our time/universe, it has a connection to it regardless of where else in space/time it is brought, so this allowed Garrosh to link the portal they create on Draenor to our timeline.

As for him Garrosh seeming crazy, they assumed he was at first, but was able to use the hourglass to show Grom a vision of the future (our timeline) of how the orcs got all jacked up on demon blood and destroyed the planet, so Grom was like "man fuck that."

There is also a pretty strong indication that Kairoz was either connected to, or was attempting to create his own version of, an Infinite dragonflight.

Boogdud

BTW for those that didn't hear the dev stream today, you don't have to log out of wow for access to the expansion (provided you already own it). If you're online before 'go-time' you just get a quest that pops up from khadgar asking you to go get your expansion on. So no worrying about logging out and then back in (and getting hit with a queue, etc.).

You can just cruise right to the expansion content without re-logging.

Then people would complain books are useless. Also, we players powered the artifact in 5.4. It came from Azeroth, not draenor.
It's not "another dimension" it's just one of the possible timelines we go back to, something bronze dragons always talked about since forever.

Okay so it is just normal time travel? I thought I remember Blizz specifically saying it wasn't and this Draenor was not "our" Draenor. I get time travel, caverns of time and all that, but I don't get multiverse suddenly being dropped into the mix.

edit - CE will always be "the one that got away". I had it in my hands at best buy on Nov 24 2004... then said "there's no way I can pay $80 for this......" and put it down and grabbed a regular copy.. then at the register said "fuck this" and ran back only to find some dude with it in his hands while running back... meanwhile 3 out of 5 of my friends all had their little diablo pet.. :(

Nah, but I'm thinking about selling my account which would include Collector's for every WoW lol.

Guesong

As I look at my toons, I still have one final choice to make.

I'd like to be able to do everything, mostly healing but I like having options, so that limits me to Druid, Monk and Paladin. But I tried Paladin healing these past weeks and...big meh. It doesn't flow naturally at all, imho. So the question remains :

Druid or Monk?

So far, I'm leaning Druid unless I find some amazing video evidence that Bremaster/Mistweaver Monks have a promising future in WoD. Druids seems to have been given all the options and fluidity in the world for Restoration and Mistweavers...well, still bound by the lack of control, somewhat. But I love their effects, I love the Statue...and yet.

Will I finally join the Drood army?

//ARCANUM

there is a "working CD key" version on Amazon for $700 with a box with "two rips" on it... I mean it's ridiculously under-priced especially for a valid CD key.. and doesn't sound super confident... but I've looked a few times at it already.

otherwise cheapest I've seen a valid copy/key for is like $2K.

to clarify I'm actually looking for a copy without the cd key. I'd even just settle for the empty box for my shelf.

also - damn that is a sad story man.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Okay so it is just normal time travel? I thought I remember Blizz specifically saying it wasn't and this Draenor was not "our" Draenor. I get time travel, caverns of time and all that, but I don't get multiverse suddenly being dropped into the mix.

Time travel and multiverses are kind of part of the same concept, if you think that there are always an infinite number of timelines that are all slightly different.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BTW for those that didn't hear the dev stream today, you don't have to log out of wow for access to the expansion (provided you already own it). If you're online before 'go-time' you just get a quest that pops up from khadgar asking you to go get your expansion on. So no worrying about logging out and then back in (and getting hit with a queue, etc.).

You can just cruise right to the expansion content without re-logging.

That is good to know, thanks for sharing! :)

Am I going to be up late tonight? Work comes early in the morning tomorrow... lol

Shahadan

It's not our Draenor since it's a different timeline, they just say alternate universe now to be easier to understand (lol, I know) and to avoid two versions of the same character being present at the same time and/or characters being wiped from existence and all that timey wimey stuff.

Just think of it as another earth timeline where Hitler was killed (or rather still alive) or whatever floats your boat.

cdyhybrid

As I look at my toons, I still have one final choice to make.

I'd like to be able to do everything, mostly healing but I like having options, so that limits me to Druid, Monk and Paladin. But I tried Paladin healing these past weeks and...big meh. It doesn't flow naturally at all, imho. So the question remains :

Druid or Monk?

So far, I'm leaning Druid unless I find some amazing video evidence that Bremaster/Mistweaver Monks have a promising future in WoD. Druids seems to have been given all the options and fluidity in the world for Restoration and Mistweavers...well, still bound by the lack of control, somewhat. But I love their effects, I love the Statue...and yet.

Will I finally join the Drood army?

Brewmasters are probably the worst tanks right now, too. We'll see what kind of balancing they do before the first raid opens up.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone give a tl;dr version of what garrison's actually do
Your garrison serves as your base of operation in Draenor, and it's from where you get most mainline story quests. You can construct several buildings that provide unique perks, such as providing you with increased mount speed, vehicles and much more. Also, as you level up you aquire followers which you can send on missions that reward gear, gold and more.

Very nice. Got my 11 man alt army sitting at the portal.

Rosti, suggest putting this Garrison guide in the links as well:

http://blog.askmrrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Garrisons1.png
Done and done.

Top Bottom