• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 (next gen) is the most gorgeous open world city I've EVER seen in a game. (56k)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I played GTAV on PS3 last year, got less than halfway and then stopped playing. It was fun, but most open world games don't really hold my attention anymore. I got the PS4 version to check out the first person mode really, and it's been pretty fun getting back into it.

What I wasn't expecting was the sheer amount of detail that's gone into this version. Both the combination of first person and better graphical fidelity has created such a living world that I did something I thought I'd never do in a video game. I walked out of Franklin's house just to check out my surroundings. Then I kept on walking. And all I did was walk for nearly two hours, checking out every alleyway or building that looked interesting, walking until I figured I'd get bored but never actually getting to that point.

I ask myself why I'm all of the sudden so taken back by San Andreas, and I think subconsciously the last gen game had me play as one of the three characters, but with this new first person mode it feels more like I'm playing as myself, finally experiencing the city on my own. It's such a strange feeling to have in a GTA game.

So, I set out to check out the town. All screencaps are PS4 screenshots exported via USB. Side note: people look a little out of place in the game with the lower detail and such so I tried to not focus on them in these shots as much as I could.

6BzZpw9h.jpg

Under the overpasses has some shady characters but also some cool graffiti. Looks like a good place to lay low from the cops. I didn't have a great gun so I got out of there quick and got into some more open space.

OhS4Gugh.jpg

JkeOMEAh.jpg

cUhgG5gh.jpg

5VV4gnQh.jpg

The signs being more readable now helps so much in the immersion, I can't stress that enough. Everything is appropriately run down and worn in the older neighborhoods. At this point I shut off my radar and decided to go wherever I wanted.

etFkEsDh.jpg

qRrwf0ch.jpg

PfPrD2Bh.jpg

The trash littered in front of the cheap apartment buildings was a nice touch, and a lot of this architecture feels pulled from old California. I know I've seen these styles of buildings anyways.

Just then, a nice kitty.

x3OOowJh.jpg

MjotEjkh.jpg

Later I found an old cluster of apartment complexes.

1ehDSj8h.jpg

In the middle of these was a small private gathering area with some nice vegetation. It was completely hidden, and within this area the sounds of the city were muffled quite a bit and felt oddly serine.

7uh2aYOh.jpg

Ivv0SYbh.jpg

llEwHich.jpg

I was still in the lower wealth class of buildings in the city so there were areas of wear and tear pretty much everywhere.

CFhUBZTh.jpg

The alleyway shot me out into the tourist zone of the city, where the faux Chinese Theater was and tons of people had gathered.

98bkR86h.jpg

It was starting to get dark so I started my trek towards the neighborhoods in the hills.

mPQCAMfh.jpg

Alleyways in the dusk/night become much more menacing looking.

42ixZ7fh.jpg

zojcLAJh.jpg

Random ladders on buildings let you get above the city pretty much everywhere.

uxO3eYmh.jpg

slFT0v0h.jpg

KQ7hKiKh.jpg

h5CJmczh.jpg

KzVdBbQh.jpg

LI3H5eih.jpg

Night time in the city is much different than nights in the outskirts...it never gets fully dark, or at least it didn't that night. Still it was quite a different experience than the daytime for sure, as the numerous light sources can make anything much more interesting to take in.

0PBq59Xh.jpg

IbmEKExh.jpg

KrF9HBwh.jpg

TNXNU8Mh.jpg

UwqC9SXh.jpg

PLxcgA3h.jpg

Like I mentioned before, general NPCs aren't quite as detailed as the rest of the game but at times enhanced an area by their presence, such as in front of this club.

fntpCXzh.jpg

A lot of the tied down tarps and signs blow with the wind. Not sure if that was in the last gen versions but it greatly adds to the visuals.

kSXVEZph.jpg

The buildings in this game look appropriately massive, more so than any game before it.

shA1v8Jh.jpg

TZW8xwNh.jpg

I was getting away from the busier downtown area to check out the local parks.

CUzd4iqh.jpg

enNlv1Bh.jpg

Parks felt less inviting at night than during the day in a weird way.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but it seems like every house has it's own unique style and architecture to it. That is, I never ran into the same house twice. But I'm sure they had to repeat some areas...right?

nVz4irHh.jpg

Cg3swiXh.jpg

iPzijr5h.jpg

m6cISm3h.jpg

AlfbDWRh.jpg

The sun was coming up so I started to get to the highest point I could in that area.

eoxip5Nh.jpg

DG0I2Jyh.jpg

HHxhmuYh.jpg

So I started walking again...and just in case I forgot what game I was playing, GTA reminded me with a shootout between two guys and some cops. The bad guys won this round.

69ifZQfh.jpg

FqWekzgh.jpg

Some paramedics came but were too late.

6FQrFVBh.jpg

Then some lady hit one of the paramedics with her car, so the medics calmly pulled her out and explained to her how they felt about that.

4qjbb0ah.jpg

And then proceeded to write their report.

erRshvRh.jpg

So I decided to wrap it up by heading to the tracks and calling a blimp so I could quickly check out the desert area. First, another kitty!

JYbKBXJh.jpg

uKO8Vq2h.jpg

Doggie!

qi8TYMZh.jpg

jEZX5I7h.jpg

CTXQKc3h.jpg

Some of the backyards of the houses were flush with detail. Here's a walkway to the pool. Why is it here? No reason. Does the player interact with it during the game? I don't think so. It's just there.

TmSQhz2h.jpg

VQqSyOch.jpg

B4pY7K5h.jpg

OQYhmfth.jpg

O1Q7xV3h.jpg

L3tsnpNh.jpg

Finally I got some first person blimp action going. It's a much better experience than third person for sure.

p7qvVKhh.jpg

AmjOW1Bh.jpg

qy4qH5Hh.jpg

MxYtPSCh.jpg

yvTJRSMh.jpg

5Ui4pfUh.jpg

NUGj0zah.jpg

9agLuy2h.jpg

As a foliage enthusiast I wanted to check out the forest, but the sun was coming up again so I parked my blimp on this hill to get a quick shot.

oORej3qh.jpg

apjeHuth.jpg

Sadly after taking that picture my blimp fell down the hill and exploded and a wild cougar ate me before I could get out my assault rifle.

I don't know why I took all these photos or even made this thread. I guess I had to share my experience in San Andreas, appreciating all of the amazing work by the art and creation teams on the game, and just to reiterate how far advanced GTA V feels in comparison to any other open world game. It cries to be explored, not through a sheer amount of small jobs and token collectables, but simply because I want to see it. I don't think I've ever felt that way about a game before.

That is an amazing looking game. I'm in awe at how lived-in and natural the world of GTA V looks compared to graphically better games.

ironcreed

Banned
I was walking around in first person for the first time last night and it was uncanny. Passing people on the sidewalk and walking on the beach has never felt so alive before. It really makes that much of a difference and is worth buying it again for this reason alone.

Oh, and riding the jet ski in first person on those waves? Hot damn.

shamanick

It still amazes me the amount of work that must have gone into this. It's an incredible achievement. Thanks to the OP for all the great screenshots and story.

Dabanton

The difference and quality in world design from R* is why a Watch Dogs,Sleeping Dogs or even Saints Row have such boring and unmemorable cities.

talk a walk around the city and see the most subtle little details that show off how good R* designers are.

This is exactly why I love GTA so much, even more so with the new versions. Everyone has a wildly different experience, and can make their own stories every single time they boot up the game. I loved taking that trip with you through those pics, great great stuff.

It always makes me want to take more screens, and then take the time to share them with the world..

Tain

GTA V's city is such an achievement. So many distinct-looking areas, and it's rare to find even a small alleyway that lacks the attention needed to make it feel believable (unlike so many other free-roaming action games). It's like Shenmue's level of focus with modern tech and a much larger scale.

Pretty wild what a massive budget like that can get you when used well.

edit: and I've only actually played the 360 version. Looking forward to the PC version.

Acheteedo

I hate to say it, but it's a real shame that the game suffers from some harsh aliasing, it detracts quite a lot from the visuals in motion.

Murtrod

The world is just so much more... alive. Sorta wish I hadn't played on last gen after getting this on PS4. But I'm still loving it.

GOTY contender IMO. FPS mode is such a game changer to warrant it.

R* has been the king of open world detail and being able to see it all up close made me happily grin. Walking through Michael's house and seeing his families awkward photos. The detail and pictures on Trevor's cars dashboard. Playing fetch with Chop through the neighborhood as people yell Franklin's name.

Simply walking the streets in FP mode is a gift. I plan to hike up Mt Chilliad in First Person as soon as I get a chance and just take it all in.

RedStep

There are a lot of challengers to the throne (unsucessful for the most part), but the detail and "love" that Rockstar pours into their world puts them heads and shoulders above the rest. It reminds of of the Disneyland ethic, where details in places people will probably never go are still kept up to the standard of the rest.

I've said it before and I've said it again:

The fact that a last gen port/remaster is the prettiest game available today is downright embarrassing to other developers IMO.

Cavalier

Banned
You should give traveling a try. Save up some money and travel to take photos. Taking photos in a videogame like a tourist depresses me.

Pop

Yup

The game looks incredible. First person mode is a game changer for GTA. I just walk around with no HUD all the time, the immersion is incredible.

Unai

The enviromment is pretty cool and all, but when are going to start seeing human beings that look like human beings?

What brightness setting are these screens taken at? The default setting on XB1 (18/30) seems to be too high I've noticed. Is the default setting the same on PS4? If so, it looks much lower than the XB1 version based on these screens.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The amount of detail is insane. And it's just not with the environments, with cars you can see different consoles, hear the brakes squeaking (missing from the 360/PS3 versions), see dome lights, etc.

Psoelberg

I don't know why I keep entering these threads. I've told myself not to buy the game before december, but all these beautiful shots makes it so damn hard.

Top Bottom