• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2's NA TV CM becomes highest viewed B2 video on YouTube at 1,243,641 views

Bayonetta 2 NA TV commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH0OsWgJeyw

I've been keeping an eye on the video's increase in views (keep in mind it's been an autoplay video popping up when people play random videos (depends what videos, any, or just gaming? Nintendo gaming only?)), and as of now judging by simply searching "bayonetta 2" on YouTube and going by view count, it's now the highest viewed Bayonetta 2 video in 1 month, and second place was Gamespot's rehost of the E3 2013 trailer at 1,240,074 views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFu1hsOtuM

Some more examples of other vids it's surpassed include:

Yoshi's New Island NA TV CM at 1.23 Million views.

Nintendo E3 2014 Digital Event at 1.12 Million views.

Kirby Triple Deluxe NA TV Commercial at 855k views.

However obviously others are way ahead and also in a very short time, such as Hyrule Warrior's NA TV Commercial at 2.79 Million views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP13yNEfDGE&list=UUGIY_O-8vW4rfX98KlMkvRg

Point being, Nintendo actually gave it a very solid push to have the commercial's view count online reach that many views so far and still counting, seemingly going around 25k-35k views daily.

However for extra insight, as far as sales are concerned, we've only had word (as far as I've seen) in the NPD thread by John Harker that it's outdone the PS3 version of Bayo1's first month (PS3's being 64k-68k), I also remember John's reply to one guessing the total including digital (which NPD does not track) being over 80k as a fair guess:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138793051&postcount=1675

It's funny that when looking at ratios, it's not THAT far from Hyrule Warriors, which pulled off 190k combined last month officially, so assuming Bayo 2 is 80k combined, that's a bit less than half, and the commercial view count for Bayo 2 is again at 1.24M and Hyrule Warriors (note that HW's view count stopped its marathon of views about... 5 weeks?) being at 2.79M, (fake edit: should be 42% for the former and 44% for the latter) so yeah, that's kinda funny.

So props for the effort Nintendo, hopefully it pays off and people pay attention in the months to come. It being nominated for GOTY at Geoff's new Game Show awards hopefully will give that a push alone, and HOPEFULLY it takes home some wins!

FourMyle

Bayonetta 2 NA TV commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH0OsWgJeyw

I've been keeping an eye on the video's increase in views (keep in mind it's been an autoplay video popping up when people play random videos (depends what videos, any, or just gaming? Nintendo gaming only?)), and as of now judging by simply searching "bayonetta 2" on YouTube and going by view count, it's now the highest viewed Bayonetta 2 video in 1 month, and second place was Gamespot's rehost of the E3 2013 trailer at 1,240,074 views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFu1hsOtuM

Some more examples of other vids it's surpassed include:

Yoshi's New Island NA TV CM at 1.23 Million views.

Nintendo E3 2014 Digital Event at 1.12 Million views.

Kirby Triple Deluxe NA TV Commercial at 855k views.

However obviously others are way ahead and also in a very short time, such as Hyrule Warrior's NA TV Commercial at 2.79 Million views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP13yNEfDGE&list=UUGIY_O-8vW4rfX98KlMkvRg

Point being, Nintendo actually gave it a very solid push to have the commercial's view count online reach that many views so far and still counting, seemingly going around 25k-35k views daily.

However for extra insight, as far as sales are concerned, we've only had word (as far as I've seen) in the NPD thread by John Harker that it's outdone the PS3 version of Bayo1's first month (PS3's being 64k-68k), I also remember John's reply to one guessing the total including digital (which NPD does not track) being over 80k as a fair guess:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138793051&postcount=1675

It's funny that when looking at ratios, it's not THAT far from Hyrule Warriors, which pulled off 190k combined last month officially, so assuming Bayo 2 is 80k combined, that's a bit less than half, and the commercial view count for Bayo 2 is again at 1.24M and Hyrule Warriors (note that HW's view count stopped its marathon of views about... 5 weeks?) being at 2.79M, (fake edit: should be 42% for the former and 44% for the latter) so yeah, that's kinda funny.

So props for the effort Nintendo, hopefully it pays off and people pay attention in the months to come. It being nominated for GOTY at Geoff's new Game Show awards hopefully will give that a push alone, and HOPEFULLY it takes home some wins!

neat

What I forgot to ask was about some current impressions on actual TV views. Haven't heard of people speaking about seeing it on TV, but I never really looked. :p

I remember hearing sightings on... Adult Swim, NBC, and Toonami? I think Comedy Central as well?

They could have released it on PS4, XB1, and PC if they really wanted to give it a chance.

Every. Single. Thread.

I don't really get the exitement over views here. I just want it to not tank.

It's the highest of any Bayonetta 2 vid, and has actually surpassed commercials of some of Nintendo's 3DS games like Yoshi's New Island and Kirby Triple Deluxe, would anyone ever have thought that would happen?

Bass260

I'm glad to see Nintendo has given continued exposure to Bayonetta 2. Wish I could say the same about TW101 :( perhaps it'll be a title people pick up with Xenoblade Chronicles X, Smash or the new Zelda.

They could have released it on PS4, XB1, and PC if they really wanted to give it a chance.

Ha, still port begging. Get out of here.

edit: apparently a joke, I apologize, B2 might be the most "port begged" title of all time and ive seen it too much.

Astral Dog

Nintendo supported it well...

But, eh, does not matter after NPD,

We knew it was bever going to top the charts, but i was hoping for something, anything.

Nintendo did not even mentioned Bayonetta 2, and they talked about Hyrule Warriors, that says a lot.

If thats the best it can do, after all this bullshit, i have no hope for X, Fatal Frame, or anything Wii U, it doesnt have any place on the market.

JoJoSono

Banned
So effort means a very mediocre put together internet commercial...

And we're celebrating this by making a thread about how a commercial has a million views? A commercial that counts views when it plays in front of things and not solely people searching it out. Then extrapolating this as somehow reflective of sales by comparing it to another niche game and not say Smash or Kart.

Hell it played in front of this with me. Wonder if I should make a commercial about how popular this GitS trailer is because it has a million random views as well. Good job Manga! You put something on the internet!

A lot of ass pulls here just to circle jerk Nintendo.

I guess it's better than the UK video that constantly played when I had my browser set to the Uk. Because that one was awful. Focused on Starfox and told you nothing about the game, but I bet that has a million views(it constantly made me watch it) so I guess Yay for Nintendo! You did something!

impact

Banned
That's cool. Too bad it only sold like 60k. Dunno what the hell people could possibly be playing on Wii U instead...

Astral Dog

So effort means a very mediocre put together internet commercial...

And we're celebrating this by making a thread about how a commercial has a million views? A commercial that counts vies when it plays in front of things and not solely people searching it out. Then extrapolating this as somehow reflective of sales by comparing it to another niche game and not say Smash or Kart.

A lot of ass pulls here just to circle jerk Nintendo.

Now this too much, that commercial airs on TV, the Nintendo Costumes, The Demo, The Direct, Showing the game in all their events,Bayonetta 1 bundled for free,funding the sequel in the first place,...

DR2K

Banned
Bayonetta isn't a front loaded game for what it's worth. It'll continue to sell at a steady pace as WiiU sales increase, it gets a price reduction, and good word of mouth about the game spreads.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is perhaps the strangest thread I've seen in gaming in years. "This Bayonetta 2 video is the most popular Bayonetta 2 video, good job Ninty!" Are we at that part of the Nintendo cycle already?

Not to mention the strangest thing which is inferring anything from YT views.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You raaaaaaaaaang?

They likely spent more promoting the Hyrule video with media, they knew that game would sell more on brand alone (plus forecasts) so better ROI as they'd get a better CPV (cost per view) spending against views for Hyrulw on YT.

Bayou makes sense to pay view here too, considering their audience lives entirely only for a game that niche. All things considered they ran a good campaign for it

I wonder how much is organic tho

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is perhaps the strangest thread I've seen in gaming in years. "This Bayonetta 2 video is the most popular Bayonetta 2 video, good job Ninty!" Are we at that part of the Nintendo cycle already?

This. Grasping at straws at best.

The game's great, but bombed like everyone expected it to. Move on.

Yeah, I kind of share this opinion. That's not a lot of views by YouTube standards, and we have absolutely no evidence to suggest there's a correlation between views and sales figures. It's a nice piece of Detective work, but I don't think there's anything to it besides coincidence.

Yeah, I kind of share this opinion. That's not a lot of views by YouTube standards, and we have absolutely no evidence to suggest there's a correlation between views and sales figures. It's a nice piece of Detective work, but I don't think there's anything to it besides coincidence.
Yeah, about what I feel on the matter. 1 million isn't a lot of views on Youtube and hasn't been for a long time.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Well actually there is evidence views correlates to sales (at least pre orders) but it takes years of tracking to make predictions off it :).

That said, why are you guys even entertaining those crackpot figures that guy just posted

Ansatz

That's cool. Too bad it only sold like 60k. Dunno what the hell people could possibly be playing on Wii U instead...

Hyrule Warriors adventure mode takes like 50 hours to complete and they release one new map each month as DLC.

Mario Kart 8 just had a DLC pack released which I'm sure got many back into playing online.

Smash 3DS probably takes up time as well. Now the Wii U version as well.

Nintendo released several content heavy games this year, there's stuff like tomodachi and fantasy life too. Bravely Default and Pokemon ORAS are huge games too. I barely have time for all of this and this year I've been playing Nintendo games exclusiely. I consider Bayonetta a masterpiece but I just haven't had a chance to play it yet. Shovel Knight launched in EU recently. Plus upcoming Captain Toad, EAD Tokyo means it has top priority. Then Splatoon, which is another huge timesink. Then 80 hours of Xenoblade. Then another MK8 DLC pack. Got damn.

Plus being a Wii U owner doesn't mean you don't have other systems. I bet alot of people are using their playtime for Destiny, CoD, WoW expansion, Fifa and existing games like dota. I remember WoW was literally the only game I played when I was into it.

But most importantly, I bought the special edition day one. I'll play it eventually. Not talking about reaching the credits, but actually get into it and aim for mastery.

NateDrake

Well actually there is evidence views correlates to sales (at least pre orders) but it takes years of tracking to make predictions off it :).

That said, why are you guys even entertaining those crackpot figures that guy just posted

It's better than entertaining the insane figures Chartzzz has up for North America of something around 180k lolz.

Top Bottom