• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales from the Borderlands |OT| Of Hype and Hyperion

hvJhbbB.jpg

Developer:

Telltale Games

Release Dates:

Episode 1 - Zer0 Sum: Available now (Currently FREE on PSN and XBL)
Episode 2 - Atlas Mugged : Available now
Episode 3 - Catch a Ride: Available now
Episode 4 - Escape Plan Bravo: Available now
Episode 5 - The Vault of the Traveller: Available now

Platforms:

• Microsoft Windows
  • OS X
  • PlayStation 3
  • PlayStation 4
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox 360
  • iOS
  • Android

Price:

Season Pass - $19.99
Per episode - $4.99

The Premise:

Like all good tales, there’s more than one side to a story. Especially one about a Vault key, the Hyperion Corporation, bandits, loot, gangsters, Vault Hunters, secret Atlas tech, explosions, getaways, extortion, betrayal, and mayhem. Set after the events seen in Borderlands 2, Tales from the Borderlands is about Rhys, a Hyperion company man looking to become the next Handsome Jack, and it’s also about Fiona, a Pandoran con artist out to score the biggest of all swindles. Lured into danger by a Vault key and all it promises, the unlikely duo are thrown together with a common goal and a huge amount of mistrust. Who is telling the truth, and why is it important?

That’s up to you to decide.

You are Rhys…and you are also Fiona, because like every tale worth telling, there are two…oh, you read that part already? Well, it’s important to remember that there *are* two sides to every story, and you my friend, you will tell this tale, or…tales, through the choices that you make. Your every decision as both Rhys and Fiona will affect the people and world around you: this is a game where YOU are the final author in a brand new Borderlands story set on the unforgiving world of Pandora.

Playable Characters:

ZEvdt2z.png

WBYK2Xb.png

Screenshots:

Videos

Launch Trailer:

SPOILER THREAD

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127735

Sorry for the ghetto OT, there was nothing and I needed a place to discuss this thing.

I've played TWD Season 1 and 2, and The Wolf Among us, and I truly believe Tales from the Borderlands is their best piece of work.

This isn't just for Borderlands fans (I consider myself a casual fan, played a bit of them but never finished). It's got great nods and fan service but stands on its own as an incredibly funny, well written, well acted and most of all, fun story.

EVERYONE should play this game.

Squire

Banned
Sorry for the ghetto OT, there was nothing and I needed a place to discuss this thing.

I've played TWD Season 1 and 2, and The Wolf Among us, and I truly believe Tales from the Borderlands is their best piece of work.

This isn't just for Borderlands fans (I consider myself a casual fan, played a bit of them but never finished). It's got great nods and fan service but stands on its own as an incredibly funny, well written, well acted and most of all, fun story.

Are the dialogue choices timed?

More or less this.

I bought this on a whim as I had some XBL credit left so went ahead and got it. I've played a couple of hours of both Borderlands games (not The Pre-Sequel) and I genuinely loved what I played of episode one of TFTBL. Probably gonna go ahead and get me the rest of the series now.

Glad to see its on Xbox One/PS4

For what it's worth, I played it on PS4 and there wasn't a hint of performance problems or visual issues. The game played smooth and looks great.

I know this has been an issue on consoles with Telltale so I just want to clarify that.

Are the dialogue choices timed?

Most them are, though there's some other types of decisions (and maybe a few dialogue) that were not.

Daigoro

weird seeing Borderlands done in Telltale's art style. not sure i like it.

might buy at a discount somewhere down the line.

I would imagine (and hope) it won't be as bad as TWAU, but who knows?

Unfortunately, as usual, there's no dates or timeframe given for the remaining episodes.
Probably as always.

They say: 4-6 weeks

Reality: 8-10 weeks
Meh. Given a lack of commitment to an actual schedule, them also taking on GoT and previous bad schedules, I guess I'll wait at least until the second episode drops. I don't really want to support terrible episodic release schedules.

HooYaH

Should I finish borderlands 2 + dlc before I play this? I got bored up to the end of the main game when
Maya got kidnapped by handsome jack

mike4001_

Meh. Given a lack of commitment to an actual schedule, them also taking on GoT and previous bad schedules, I guess I'll wait at least until the second episode drops. I don't really want to support terrible episodic release schedules.

Don´t forget they are releasing aditionally for Xbox One and PS4 this time ...

Should I finish borderlands 2 + dlc before I play this? I got bored up to the end of the main game when
Maya got kidnapped by handsome jack

If you care about potential spoilers, probably. This is set after BL2 and there's definitely returning characters. I didn't finish BL2 so I can't say exactly how big the spoilers would be

demolitio

I was thinking of getting this since I've been replaying TWD on PC, but my save just deleted AGAIN after making me rewind and now I can't finish it.

Edit: Now it's showing again except it's making me redo the entire episode 3 like I never completed it despite just going through the ending and the credits a few minutes ago.

If Borderlands and GOT prove to be stable on PC, I'll be interested but damn does this get annoying.

I picked this up on a whim. I haven't completed it but I played what I believe to be most of it yesterday, and I am pretty blown away. They take the story and setting of Borderlands and knocks the writing out of the park. It's the first genuinely funny game I have played in a really long time.

I picked this up on a whim. I haven't completed it but I played what I believe to be most of it yesterday, and I am pretty blown away. They take the story and setting of Borderlands and knocks the writing out of the park. It's the first genuinely funny game I have played in a really long time.

Yup it hits that perfect note of being genuinely funny without crossing that line of "in your face try hard" obnoxiousness, nothing feels forced.

I can't get over how blown away I was considering I had almost 0 excitement about this until I saw the reviews.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be all over this once I've finished my melee Zer0 run and the whole lot is out (not getting stung like TWAU again). The trailer really grabbed me.

petghost

Banned
What I played so far was awesome. Really clever and genuinely funny at times. I really hope this doesn't go under peoples radars, it seemed like there was a lot of skepticism/not a lot of hype surrounding it.

Boem

Reposting my impressions from the review thread:

Wow, seriously surprised at how much I'm enjoying this. I'm near the end I think, but I had to stop playing because I'm getting some guests in a bit. Note: this is coming from someone who has no interest in Borderlands - I played a bit of the first one back in the day but didn't really like it, and someone gave me the second game at some point but I haven't played more than 10 minutes of it. The games just aren't for me. As for my perspective on Telltale: I used to love them a lot back when they were doing Sam & Max (as an old Lucasarts fanboy), but I've gotten bit tired of their games over the recent years - just played too much of them. This feels like a breath of fresh air though. Really didn't expect this to be any good, but the first episode honestly is one of the best episodes they've put out. The combination of a FPS in an adventure game context (or whatever you want to call the Telltale genre) actually feels inspired instead of like a money-grabbing move. It's great - very funny, a plot that engages you the entire time (unlike some other Telltale Games), it looks great for a Telltale game and some surprising gameplay choices.

In short: If you like Telltale Games but are put off by the license choice: give it a chance. You don't need to know any Borderlands lore at all really, just know that it takes place in a crazy FPS world. We'll see how the rest turns out, but so far it's excellent.

Oh, and man, I really want to know what they'd do with Sam & Max with the current gameplay systems/graphics. I don't know if that series is too small for them these days, but I really hope they'll get back to it some day. As much fun as Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us are, Telltale is at its best when they can just do cheesy comedy with a good storyline.

Alienfan

As someone who absolutely despises the Borderlands games.... I'm actually surprised how much I enjoyed Ep1!!! Might be my favourite start to a tell tale season. Production values seemed pretty decent too, which gives me a ton of hope for their game of thrones game.

DryvBy

I bought the first episode to see if I like it, but I'm going disc release whenever I see. Same with Game of Thrones.

Any crossgame unlock things going on in this? I have most of my Borderlands games on Steam, but I wouldn't mind grabbing this on the PS4 since I have credit burning in my digital wallet there.

Any crossgame unlock things going on in this? I have most of my Borderlands games on Steam, but I wouldn't mind grabbing this on the PS4 since I have credit burning in my digital wallet there.

im playing it on xbox one, and it says you unlock stuff for the presequel...but not until 2015. I think it says something like, it will be unlocked in early 2015 when a planned update comes out...
probably when the current gen remaster presequel comes out

I'm tempted to get it, but both TWD: Season 2 and TWAU had their season passes go on sale after not too long. Is the first episode really that good?

Alienfan

I'm tempted to get it, but both TWD: Season 2 and TWAU had their season passes go on sale after not too long. Is the first episode really that good?

So good. Perfectly paced, great humour and characters. Best thing Telltale have ever put out in my opinion. It's $5 for the first ep too, what do you have to loose :p GO FOR IT!!! $5 for the first episode, the season pass is for Ep 2-5. So buy the first episode, see how much you like it and then maybe wait or buy the season pass depending on how much you enjoyed it :)

im playing it on xbox one, and it says you unlock stuff for the presequel...but not until 2015. I think it says something like, it will be unlocked in early 2015 when a planned update comes out...

Eh.. if it's just guns/cosmetics I don't think I'd care. Bleh I wish they would specify. Would be cool if that stuff is tied to say, your shift account rather than having it saved based. That would mean I can play this on my PS4 and get goodies on PC. I guess what I'll do for now is wait, since I have a bunch on my plate already. Thanks for the info.

What's the performance like on the PS4 when it comes to telltale games? I've played every single one until now on the 360 and man was it brutal.

samn

Considering how previous TT games had serious save bugs that they never bothered to fix, I'll wait and see on this one. Will probably pick it up when all eps are released assuming there are no more issues.

Oh, and man, I really want to know what they'd do with Sam & Max with the current gameplay systems/graphics. I don't know if that series is too small for them these days, but I really hope they'll get back to it some day. As much fun as Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us are, Telltale is at its best when they can just do cheesy comedy with a good storyline.
As a huge Sam&Max fan, Tales from Borderlands made me wish they brought the series back with this style of story telling. They seem to have gotten a lot better at what they are doing when compared to the S&M and Monkey Island seasons. Some hard core genre fans would probably want those series to keep a more traditional adventure focus, but I wouldn't mind them dropping it if what we got in return had the same level of quality as Borderlands.

clockpunk

Is the season pass available to buy outright? Looking on the XBox One Games store this morning, I could only see episode 1 listed at the single-ep price...

Alienfan

What's the performance like on the PS4 when it comes to telltale games? I've played every single one until now on the 360 and man was it brutal.

Xbox One will have a brief 5 second pause (as things load) every so often, but a solid framerate for the most part (especially compared to previous telltale games) and load times are about a 1/3 as long as they were on the 360/PS3. This is the Xbox One version, so I would assume the same could be said for the PS4 version. You will probably notice a major improvement as I did though.

Apdiddy

I saw a live stream of this on Live from PlayStation and I will get this. It feels like a long lost LucasArts game (although it's not like a point & click adventure per se).

Just finished a playthrough on PS4. The most fun i've had from a telltale game so far, and the PS4 version seems to run fairly solid. Had one animation glitch where a characters mouth wasn't moving and a tiny bit of hiccups here and there. Much better than my experience with the walking dead.

I'd guess that whatever you unlock in the next-gen version will transfer over in the pre-sequel for last gen since it's all tied to the same account.

Top Bottom