• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of December 15th to the 21st, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

The Fight Before Christmas [ Saturday ] [ 2PM CST | 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iFvxWlFX8sQ2x.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at de1irium!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
I’m not actually playing FG’s that much these days, but when I do it’s SF4 or 3rd Strike Online. I’m actually surprised how many beginners are on 3SO. Plenty of people kicking my ass, too, but it’s nice to occasionally run into someone I can beat!

Alpha 2 is probably my favorite fighting game to play … it just feels right. But there aren’t a lot of US A2 players on GGPO, so when I do have time to play it’s tough to quickly jump into a game. I mostly get my A2 fix at 2 Old 2 Furious at Next Level.

KOF13 is, IMO, the best fighting game of this generation, but I’m lame and don’t play it.

I also bought WiiU Smash, but I played it for an afternoon and had sore wrists for a week. It’s also literally my first time playing smash, so it’s wildly different than anything I’ve played before … and incredibly frustrating for me to learn. But I’ll probably sneak into some sessions at Apex and try to level up.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I like SFxT’s tag/combo system, and in general the way the Tekken characters were implemented. It felt very different for a 2D fighting game, and I really enjoyed toying around with combos.

Least favorite is probably SF4’s input leniency. Nothing sucks more than walking forward with charge and hitting s.RH only to get a RH Scissor Kick.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I’ve played almost every version of Street Fighter at a super casual level, either on console, arcade or emulator. It wasn’t until SF4 that I began taking fighting games seriously.

I’m an FPS player at heart. I cut my gaming teeth on Doom and Quake, and played an obscene amount of Quake III in college. In 2008-09 I played Team Fortress 2 competitively … had I stuck with it, I could have probably made it to some ESEA LANs, but I was putting 30+ hours a week into it. It was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in gaming, but I just couldn’t stick with it … it was cramping the rest of my life, hard.

So when SF4 came out on PC, I picked it up … the nostalgia was strong, and a solo competitive game was ideal. No team to schedule my life around. I found SRK, started going to occasional tournaments, and stuck around even though I don’t think I’ve ever done better than 2-2.

These days I play a mix of stuff … Hearthstone, Borderlands, Binding of Isaac, SF4, 3SO. I had the urge for a turn-based strategy game recently, and picked up XCOM: Enemy Within. Very glad I made that purchase.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
I really enjoy SF4 Bison … he is normals are great and he blows up bad play pretty easily as long as you stay patient. SF2 Bison is arguably better, what with his CE exploitability and his ST ToD combos … but SF4 Bison clicks with me.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
If you don’t make me respect you, I’m gonna be totally disrespectful. I have no shame in taunting (doubly so if I know it puts you on tilt), running away, trying to win a round with nothing but c.LK combos, or hitting s.RH 5 times in a row while you try to jump out of the corner.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, really) this kind of stuff only occasionally works even on netplay. So a more typical match is cautious positioning and pressure, punishing where I can. But, for example, if I have a life lead and you’re still playing defensive, I’ll downback or keep away and make you come to me and hopefully force an error. And that’s part of why I really enjoy Bison, being able to switch up that pressure gameplay with avoidance.

Most of my play is online these days, and I hate that, but if I’m at an event I’m usually photographing it. It’s a catch 22, because I’d probably level up quite a bit if I actually played at events, but then I’m not shooting as much …
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
As much as I can be very patient, I also get flustered very easily if I don’t know what to do, or if I know what I need to do but can’t execute. So instead of thinking ahead to “OK that happened, what’s next?” I get caught up on what happened and why it shouldn’t have, etc...
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Worst was going 0-20 against a Ryu in casuals at my 2nd tournament. I’m still awful at the Ryu matchup, to this day. It’s supposed to be one of Bison’s better matchups, too.

Best was probably being hired to photograph Evo. It was my first Evo, and I wasn’t even expecting to get the job. But I love the FGC, even though I’m terrible at fighting games … so it was an honor to be able to contribute to the scene in the best way I can, at the our biggest event.
What do you want from future fighting games?
This might sound weird, but I’d really like to see Valve’s take on a fighting game. They’ve done such a great job making Dota and CounterStrike accessible without sacrificing what makes them challenging and competitive, while also driving their presence in esports. A PC-based fighter with the same ease of access that these games had could be big.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Gonna steal from CasperOne’s suggestions and say TheHadou.
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
If Overwatch is a packaged game, that’ll be at the top of my list. I’m also looking forward to Hotline Miami 2 and Evolve.

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
12/16  Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (NA)
WINTER The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
02/17  Dead or Alive 5: LAST ROUND (EU: 02/20)
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
2015   Dragon Ball Xenoverse
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Skullgirls Encore
2015   Under Night In-Birth (NA/EU)
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Rise of Incarnates
TBD    Street Fighter V
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

For the new thread:

Alright GAF, I asked if people were interested in this before, and I saw ~10 people say they were in the Smash thread. To me, that's enough for us to try and see if this works. I have never done something like this before, so bear with me as I try to figure out proper organization, and know that I welcome suggestions. I am posting this here as well, because I know not all FGC Weekly folks visit SmashGAF, but some of you still play the game.

EXPECTATIONS:
-You will play a FT5 once per week with someone on the ranbat list, minimum.
-You will be respectful toward others, and understand that this is intended for fun.
-1v1.
-No items/customs.
-2 stock with an 8-minute timer.
-No stages with hazards.
-Good sportsmanship.

Fair warning: the Google Form asks for your e-mail. The only reason I am asking for this information is to give you a Google Spreadsheet invite for recording match data. I am a public school teacher with access to thousands of addresses, phone numbers, and e-mails, and I previously managed a 70,000 person legislative district with all the personal information I could ever want at the tip of my fingers, including SSNs. If you are too paranoid to trust me, I understand and respect that, but this is the only option that ensures only tournament players can edit results without placing heavy record-keeping burdens on me.

Let me know if you think I forgot anything, or if I screwed up the Google Form.

Without further ado, quote this post to reveal the Google Form link below:

Bringing Japan up is a perfect example. As you say it's best to look at tournaments and if you look at all the Mastercups that that 880 man turnouts do you remember how many Bob and Lars players we saw there?

Here is a list of the side J1 Climax tournament that took place:

http://mastercupofficial.com/teamlist/j1climax

A sea of Bob, Lars, and Jinpachi's.

Yeah but who won and who placed top 8 is what I'm more concerned about. That's sorta like saying Ken is top tier because a lot of people play him online. Yes tournaments are different but there usually just one Bob or Lars or Jinpachi player in tournament that makes top 8. In Japan, its more likely due to the large amounts of players that play them. Nothing you'll really see outside of Japan however.

I think we as Tekken players look at our game and don't realize how tight the tiers are compared to other games(mostly because we don't play other games.) Bob and Lars are non-issues relatively speaking and nothing like some of the easy to play top tier characters in other games.

You communist! We as in America won! TREASON!
You're trying to collectively claim victory for one person's achievement, and I'm the communist?

She is a female yes.

Is that ever mentioned in-game?

I found all the pics for the new USSF4 Wild Costumes DLC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143355298&postcount=366
Hugo looks pretty sick. The rest range from "meh" to disturbing.

Zissou

he is a notorious tier whore.

Tier whore is such a dirty word. Tier enthusiast man, tier enthusiast!
Can't hate somebody for playing to win. There's a skill to quickly identifying what is truly top
tier and exlploiting it before others understand what is/isn't good themselves.

Dahbomb

Can't wait for the return of Tokido to USF4 with all that cash money. I want him to use the most disgustingly top tier character in USF4 and blow everyone up.

Not gonna happen but I can dream.

I like "tier enthusiast". I will use this from now on.

You're trying to collectively claim victory for one person's achievement, and I'm the communist?

Is that ever mentioned in-game?

Hugo looks pretty sick. The rest range from "meh" to disturbing.

Correct sir.

USA ALL THE WAY.

There's nothing wrong with tier whoring. I think maybe 1-2 games I've played where my character wasn't upper/top tier, but for me it's usually by luck my character is top tier lol.

Kumubou

The closest I can think of Tokido playing a "bad" character was when he played Noel in the early BlazBlue games. She wasn't top tier in those games but she was generally considered a very easy character to play. And it's not tier whoring; they're just maximizing their win expectancy.

On that note, I think there is something to be said about not making the easiest character to play in a fighting game the best -- but easy is relative, and tends to be more about having stable solutions and multi-use buttons rather than just having simple combos. It can be a bad look when you have a ton of characters like Bob or Gordeau running around in their respective games (and in those two examples, they're not really that far ahead of the pack -- they're just very easy and very good).

AAK

Yeah but who won and who placed top 8 is what I'm more concerned about. That's sorta like saying Ken is top tier because a lot of people play him online. Yes tournaments are different but there usually just one Bob or Lars or Jinpachi player in tournament that makes top 8. In Japan, its more likely due to the large amounts of players that play them. Nothing you'll really see outside of Japan however.

I think we as Tekken players look at our game and don't realize how tight the tiers are compared to other games(mostly because we don't play other games.) Bob and Lars are non-issues relatively speaking and nothing like some of the easy to play top tier characters in other games.

There's plenty who made top 8. Remember when Pekoso OCV'd the entire Mastercup top 8? He used Bob/Jinpachi. The mastercup after that it had the Korean guy Secret come and beast everyone then using Bob/Bruce. Nobi is the most consistent player in Japan right now who can stand up to the Koreans and he uses Lars/Dragunov. The highest placing Japanese at EVO was Gen-kids and he used Bob/Leo. Best player in Phillipines is AK and he won that championship using Lars/Lei. I think there's plenty of material out there to show that those characters consistently win as well.

Busaiku

Can't wait for the return of Tokido to USF4 with all that cash money. I want him to use the most disgustingly top tier character in USF4 and blow everyone up.

Not gonna happen but I can dream.

I like "tier enthusiast". I will use this from now on.
When was Tokido gone.

Dahbomb

He's not gone he just hasn't been going 100% at USF4. In interviews he has been saying he is getting bored with SF4 and wants some new shit (ie. SFV). Well he got SFV and now with the big money tournament which will probably lead to the finale SF4 tournament before SFV... yeah Tokido will try to go all in this time.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Can't hate somebody for playing to win. There's a skill to quickly identifying what is truly top

Tier enthusiast? I'm liking this.

The only thing that bothers me about tier whoring is when players pick a "top tier" in response to losing and either:
1) Act like a dipshit if they win.
2) Play the top tier character poorly, and then ragequit.

Basically, childish mindsets. Play to win? Sure. But show good character.

Been a long time since I've subbed to an FGW thread

Good to be back.

Still no interview rip

Rose has a great Wild costume and Poison's seems fitting, lol.

I'm guessing those aren't free?

fader

A.K.A. The Furry DLC.

Edit: Wait a second. Is this leak incomplete or is the DLC only for like 3/4 of the roster...?

check the previous page of the thread. some of them were released last month

don't get me wrong, im not knocking him.
But he is a tier whore.

El Sabroso

El Fuerte, Dhalsim, Sagat and Dee Jay (cannot see any other close to a toucan) are the cereal team here

Mike Bison skin is GDLK btw

I couldn't tell which one was Cammy... Gief is looking dope though.

Gief bringin' it back to the motherland!!!

I think Fuerte, Fei, Oni, Akuma, Balrog and Guy are my favorites.
Lol Balrog is the only one that actually looks like an animal.

Edit: And Gouken and Honda.

Edit 2: And Ryu and Chun and Blanka.

Edit 3: ....fuck.

braves01

Banned
I couldn't help but notice Pokken is not included in the upcoming releases section. That's still coming out in arcades next year, right?

Top Bottom