• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Vanguard V’ creator shares Morpheus (PS4 VR) dev experience

Man

Cool insights.

http://www.roadtovr.com/sony-morpheus-development-vanguard-v-dev-perspective/

The Unity3D game authoring engine is available on the PlayStation 4 alongside Morpheus development tools. The first thing to note is that the PlayStation tools are for Windows operating systems only. I had to get creative as a Mac user to accommodate this requirement.

The PlayStation 4 has potentially the best current input methods available for VR. The PlayStation 4 Camera does an amazing job tracking the PlayStation Move controllers and the Dual Shock 4. This makes prop manipulation in VR effortless for the player, without any odd latency or offset compensation. The PS4 camera is also capable of skeletal tracking, but I wouldn’t recommend walking around wearing a VR headset to anyone (yet).

Developing for the PlayStation 4 is straightforward for anyone who knows how to use Unity3D. The key differences are that some shaders need to be ported and that a build/run is needed to run on the PS4 devkit.

Like Oculus, Morpheus tools are still in development so some modification to the available scripts may be needed to best suit your project. I needed access to the stereo cameras in the scene Hierarchy, which is the default behavior in Unity3D. The Morpheus toolkit generates the stereo cameras at runtime (on the fly) so I had to adjust the script to have the SDK use my cameras instead of making new ones. The script was easy to follow and well commented so this took very little time.

The other key difference is that headtracking is done on the parent object of the cameras (rotation/position). Oculus applies most of the transform data directly to the right camera and has the left camera follow with an offset. This difference required me to adjust my game to pay more attention to the parent tracker instead of the individual cameras—easy to do once you’ve figured it out.

One of the things that surprised me most was how fast I was able to get up and running with good performance. Vanguard V was migrated to PS4 and playable within one day! The PS4 is also very good at giving you feedback on performance issues and script debugging... ...I had the Vanguard V demo running at 70-120fps after just a few days of work.

1406380326050h86xcpaatt9_1406381419421.png

Foshy

Really glad to hear that. Good dev tools are very important for the success of Morpheus, good too see that Sony apparently put a focus on that.

Krejlooc

Banned
Windows-only dev tools sounds like a pretty bad omission.

They're talking about that specific build of Unity. There is obviously variants of Unity for different operating systems.

Morpheus tracking from the parent object sounds preferable but also sounds like it could offer less flexibility. I know that diplopia uses the offset to adjust each eye individually.

I honestly think this will be fixed once more software is developed and in the later stages with the project. More than likely Sony wants to get this up and running as soon as possible so it is easier to do that for one platform than 2 or 3.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cool to hear it was easy to get to prototype fast. I'm wondering what the graphical and complexity ceiling is gonna be at the 75+FPS VR requires and PS4's hardware. This is a simple smartphone game of course, so no real stress test there.

Not really. I mean you can argue you're alienating the iOS only developers, but anyone going console usually just has a Windows box or a dual-booter.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Keep in mind Vanguard V runs at over 60 FPS on Gear VR. It's not exactly a demanding game.
Still awesome for a quick port job. It usually takes a while to get that kind if performance for anything other than a 2D game and in a few days it's particularly impressive.

Krejlooc

Banned
Still awesome for a quick port job. It usually takes a while to get that kind if performance for anything other than a 2D game and in a few days it's particularly impressive.

This type of quick port job is unity's bread and butter. That is essentially the major selling perk of the engine - near-instant ports via build options.

Krejlooc

Banned
Oh cool, I didn't know that.

Unity has build options for Oculus Rift now (as in, you can select Oculus Rift as a platform, where as previously you build OVR games as windows applications) and has Gear VR support, too.

Unity is really useful if you're doing VR development, Unreal Engine as well. They take care a lot of the backend stuff so you can concentrate on the actual game and demo. Most tools for VR peripherals are coming with Unity or UE support out of the box these days.

DavidDesu

That looks basic but fun, and the kind of in your face (and all around you) thrill ride that could easily sell someone on VR in a minute.

It's good to hear that Morpheus development is pretty painless. I have faith Sony are going to do this right. The (creepy) virtual school lesson thing they demoed in Japan pretty much guarantees a massive upheaval in PS4/Morpheus sales in Japan and I'd be surprised if similar titles aimed at a western market didn't do the same over here. Once people understand what they can experience via this the floodgates will open, and as a bit of a Sony fan I'm glad they're keeping up with this new development and have planned ahead to include it with the PS4 going forward. Not to get too console war-ish but shouldn't Microsoft be a bit worried as they seem to be languishing behind on this..? If it explodes as I confidently predict it will Sony have a winner on their hands based on the level of experiences they seem capable of ringing to market with PS4. Might lack compared to people with beefy PC's and OR but, like Wii's motion controls, it will be more than adequate to blow the average consumer away and will be a simpler/cheaper set-up with Morpheus.

Good read. It sounds like Morpheus will be just as easy to develop for as the PS4 itself, so hopefully when it gets a commercial release there will be a nice variety of games to try.

Cool to hear it was easy to get to prototype fast. I'm wondering what the graphical and complexity ceiling is gonna be at the 75+FPS VR requires and PS4's hardware. This is a simple smartphone game of course, so no real stress test there.

Not really. I mean you can argue you're alienating the iOS only developers, but anyone going console usually just has a Windows box or a dual-booter.

I think the PS4 could easily to Half life 2 level graphics in VR running 75+FPS per eye. And to be perfectly honest. I wouldn't need anything more graphically intense that that in VR.

People grossly overestimate the graphical demands for VR. Presence triumphs over polygon count every time. Indies are going to dominate VR in its early stages of life.

I imagine Jonathan Blow will be attempting the Witness on it at some point.

Summer Lesson has better graphics than Half-life 2 imo.

Yes, But Summer lesson takes place in a single room with a single character. Different types of games and environments will lead to a large range and graphical complexity. Hopefully Sony enforces a standard frame rate for its VR games and then let the developer design their games and engines around those standards.

Yes, But Summer lesson takes place in a single room with a single character. Different types of games and environments will lead to a large range and graphical complexity. Hopefully Sony enforces a standard frame rate for its VR games and then let the developer design their games and engines around those standards.

Yeah but it's also confined to about a 6x6 room. Doesn't have nearly as much going on as HL2.
Makes sense :D

Of course, but the problem is everyone will start looking to existing console devs to dive into VR, and right now they absolutely do not have the discipline to do so.

Existing ips are meant to push the benchmark on current means of gaming, VR is going to require completely different thinking. VR is going to start from the technology requirements and work it's way from there.

It won't be "how do we get unity into VR", more "how do we make this look as good as possible while retaining required resolution and framerate"

Plus a lot of the current effects applied to games are pointless in VR.

Morpheus tracking from the parent object sounds preferable but also sounds like it could offer less flexibility. I know that diplopia uses the offset to adjust each eye individually.
I was thinking about that as I read the excerpt. It sounds like they just track the position of the "head" and automagically generate eye/camera positions from there. Wouldn't that allow them to incorporate any adjustments dictated by their auto-IPD setup? They could even include physical adjustments to the HMD itself, like eye relief. Also, by black-boxing it, any code you write today can leverage any improvements made to v1 and v2 of the headset unaltered.

WRT flexibility, he said he was able to override the behavior. Though he may have been reinventing the wheel in the process, if only to improve compatibility with his existing code.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

This attitude went so well with PlayStation Mobile ;)... Sure, let's forget tons of people doing mobile development (iOS + Android) are using OS X and let's market an IDE at them which does not run on the OS they are currently using even though it is mostly based on already multi-platform stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think the PS4 could easily to Half life 2 level graphics in VR running 75+FPS per eye. And to be perfectly honest. I wouldn't need anything more graphically intense that that in VR.

presumably it'll be 60fps not 75, as it'll be hooked up to TVs and the little breakout box mirrors to TVs too. if the interpolation hardware in the breakout box to 120fps works well, plus a little timewarping, that should be good enough.

JordanN

Banned
People grossly overestimate the graphical demands for VR. Presence triumphs over polygon count every time. Indies are going to dominate VR in its early stages of life.

I imagine Jonathan Blow will be attempting the Witness on it at some point.

I agree. Polygon count should not matter for the first VR games, and developers should instead just come up with games that just make the most of the horsepower given to them.

I've said before, I think VR will have the same impact as the PS1 did. The shift to polygons made PS1 offer a huge variety of game types, despite the graphics being extremely rough.

It's very important for Morpheus follows this same strategy. Instead of worrying what the graphics will look like, just let game developers experiment, making lots of VR games. This is a luxury we might never see again.

Top Bottom