• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2014 Voting Thread [voting closed]

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Introduction

Welcome to NeoGAF’s fifth annual video game soundtracks of the year thread! This thread will serve to create a common point of reference for NeoGAF’s favourite game soundtracks in 2014, place a spotlight on the industry’s musical talent, and expose people to great video game music that they haven’t heard before. It will also host a (hopefully) comprehensive archive of the year’s game music and other related information.

Voting Rules

For your vote, select your three favourite game soundtracks of the year and rank them in the order of your preference. Your first pick will receive 3 points, your second pick will receive 2 points, and your third pick will receive 1 point. Your Honourable Mentions will not count for any points, but will still be tallied accordingly.

Please list at least 1-2 tracks you feel are your favourites from each soundtrack you vote for, as it will make the process of building the Archive much easier.

I have decided to throw in the option for an LTTP Soundtrack Vote since I thought it would be a bit fun to look back at the past. These LTTP votes will not count for points, but if there is a soundtrack that gets a considerable number of votes, I will make mention of it/them in the results. The LTTP vote is purely for fun so it is optional, but please bear in mind that you may only mention one soundtrack for this option.

Code:
Sample Ballot

1. Game A (Will receive 3 points)
2. Game B (Will receive 2 points)
3. Game C (Will receive 1 point)

Honourable Mentions (if any)

LTTP vote (if any)
You’re highly encouraged to do more than simply list your selections; please provide links to standout tracks if you can and take the time to describe what makes the soundtracks special to you. We’re hoping that everyone will want to join the conversation and take the opportunity to discover new soundtracks and composers. The most important thing about this thread is to have fun with voting and discovering new things.

If you wish to do any sort of write-ups for your vote a la the Game of the Year thread, you may do so in any way you wish. Examples of such ballots in previous years are these: Jucksalbe, Papercuts, Branny, Earthpainting, Nocturnowl, Thoraxes, Axelstream, and Yuterald. There are even more examples in previous threads linked at the bottom if you’d like to work through them to get an idea if you are relatively new to voting. If you do a write-up or make a small comment, I will go through and pick some of the most-encompassing ones to add to the Results Thread as Nert had done in previous years.

Voting will end on January 18th at 11:59 PM (PST). The votes will not be counted until after the voting period closes, so you may edit your post and change your vote as many times as you would like before then.

-----------------------------------

Ineligible Soundtracks: 2014 has seen many games which have been either re-releases, ports, remasters, or games that have seen staggered releases in different regions. Because of this, some soundtracks are ineligible for voting for various reasons. Generally, if a game is remastered or ported and there is not a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: The Last of Us Remastered; Grand Theft Auto 5 Remastered), it is not eligible.
  • Regional: European members cannot vote for Bravely Default this year. Conversely, North American members cannot vote for Shin Megami Tensei IV this year. You may list these soundtracks as LTTP soundtracks at your own discretion.
  • Late Ports: No late ports’ soundtracks (ex: Metal Gear Rising) are eligible for voting, full-stop. If you would like to mention a late port’s soundtrack, please mention it in your LTTP vote.
  • Virtual Console / PSOne/PS2 Classics / XBLA Classics: These are only eligible for LTTP votes. No exceptions.
  • HD Remasters with minimal changes: Remasters with minimal soundtrack changes, such as Grand Theft Auto 5 Remastered and The Last of Us Remastered are not eligible for point allocation this year. If you would like to vote for these Remasters, please do so in an honourable mention or LTTP vote.
  • Fantranslations: If it is a fantranslation of an older game that is not from 2014, it is only eligible for an LTTP or honourable mention vote. (ex: AAI2/Prosecutor's Path)
Eligible Soundtracks: If there is a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: Final Fantasy X HD), it is eligible.
  • HD Remasters with major changes: Remasters with major soundtrack changes, such as Final Fantasy X HD, The Last of Us Vol 2, and Halo 2 Anniversary, are eligible for point allocation. Please vote for these soundtracks normally.
  • Major expansions with new tracks: Expansions of some games, such as Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor, are eligible for voting. If you are voting for these soundtracks, please specify that you are voting for their expansions.
Long story short: if you would like to mention a soundtrack or two that comes from a late port or re-release (or a game which was released in your territory first but didn’t get to until this year), you may add it onto your ballot as an honourable mention or an LTTP vote. If other soundtracks come up in conversation or via PMs, I will add them to the categories in this OP. If you have any substantial reasoning as to why an HD Remaster soundtrack should be eligible for point allocation, please send me a PM.

Aside from those exceptions, all soundtracks for games released in 2014 will be eligible, including licensed and partially-licensed soundtracks. To the extent that we’re hoping to celebrate new music from this year and bring some attention to composers’ new works, there’s a bit of an implied “honour system” here; if you decide vote for a licensed soundtrack, an explanation as to why you think it was especially fitting for the game or thoughtfully compiled would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions about, or wish to discuss, a soundtrack’s eligibility, please feel free to send a PM to me and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Nine times out of ten, my answer will probably be “yes”, but if you’re unsure please message me. Anything regarding a soundtrack's eligibility will be added to the list here.

Thread Features

Archive

As the thread continues to grow, an archive of many of this year’s soundtracks will be built up for people to explore. In addition to soundtracks GhaleonQ and I have found to be noteworthy, we will include every soundtrack mentioned in your posts. We will also work to include your favorite songs and your descriptions of the soundtracks. If you’re passionate about any music from this year, take this as an opportunity to spread the word!

The format is as follows:
  • Game Title (album information linked)
  • Composer(s) (composer information linked)
  • Sample Tracks (song titles with links to YouTube, Bandcamp and/or other appropriate websites)
Composer Profiles

For the 15 soundtracks that receive the most points, we will provide a brief overview of the winning composers, including discographies. This will help to highlight the individuals that created the soundtracks and to encourage people to check out their past works.

When and if possible, we will also attempt to reach out to the winning composers and let them know how they did. If they're like Austin Wintory, they may even feel compelled to join up.

So, good luck! Try to have fun when coming up with your ballots and happy listening, everyone! :)

Past Threads

2013 Results and Archive
2013 Voting Thread
2012 Results and Archive
2012 Voting Thread
2011 Results and Archive
2011 Voting Thread
2010 Results and Archive
2010 Voting Thread

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Archive (In progress)

1954 Alcatraz
Pedro Macedo Camacho
Groovin' Grim
Dangerous Moves
L'Amour en Méditerranée

Armored Hunter Gunhound EXhttp://vgmdb.net/album/34975
Kinuyo Yamashita, Hyakutaro Tsukumo, Yasuhiro Tamaki
Fate of Soldier
Big Pain
The Atonement

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry
Olivier Deriviere
False Paradise
Attack At Sea
The Fight For All

Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Elitsa Alexandrova, Forest Swords
Main Theme
David and Goliath
A Boy Becomes A Man

Assassin's Creed: Unity
Chris Tilton, Sarah Schachner, Ryan Amon
Unity
Dark Slayer
A Seditious Act

Astebreed
samlie, Shoichiro Sakamoto
The Void
Headwinds
Armageddon

Azure Striker Gunvolt (Azure Phosphorescence / Morpho vocal soundtrack)
III (Ippo Yamada, Ryo Kawakami, Mina Hatazoe, Katsunori Yoshino)
Opening Stage
Media Tower
Beyond the Blue

The Banner Saga (Bandcamp)
Austin Wintory
Thunder Before Lightning
Strewn Across a Bridge
Into Dust

Bayonetta 2
Masami Ueda, Naofumi Harada, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Norihiko Hibino, Takahiro Izutani, Satoshi Igarashi, Hitomi Kurokawa, Takayasu Sodeoka, Rei Kondoh, Naoto Tanaka
Tomorrow is Mine
The Legend of Aesir
Noatun: The Church

Blackguards (iTunes)
Dominik Morgenroth, Daniel Pharos
Dark Corners
Mengbilla
The Living Forest

Bravely Default (NA only vote)
Revo
Ship Soaring Through The Heavens
That Person's Name Is
Infiltrating Enemy Territory

Broken Age (Bandcamp)
Peter McConnell
March in the Clouds
Was that East or West?
Welcome to Meriloft

Castlevania -Lords of Shadow- 2http://vgmdb.net/album/44392 (Sumthing.com)
Oscar Araujo
The Titan
Descent To The Castle Dungeons
Hunter And Prey

CLARC (Bandcamp)
Jonathan Howe
Drunk Robots
The Aftermath
Fighting Mother

Child of Light (Bandcamp)
Béatrice Martin
Woods Darker Than Night
Pilgrims On A Long Journey
Metal Gleamed In The Twilight

Chronology (Bandcamp)
Niels Höjgaard Sörensen, Thomas Egeskov Petersen
A Click Ticking Backwards
The Metropolis
The Lab

Crypt of the Necrodancer
Danny Baranowsky
Zone 1 Level 1
Death Metal
King Conga

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Masafumi Takada, Satoshi Iwase
Box 16
Distrust
Weekly Despair Magazine

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Masafumi Takada, Satoshi Iwase
Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson
Ikoroshia
Beautiful Ruin

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Bandcamp : David Young Disc; Bandcamp : Little Peggy Disc)
MANYO, TECHNOuchi, Rio Okano, Atsushi Yamaji
Theme of D4
Drank Dead DOM Die
Urban Closet

Dark Souls II
Motoi Sakuraba, Yuka Kitamura
Old Dragonslayer
Majula
Sir Alonne

Destiny (iTunes)
Michael Salvatori, C Paul Johnson, Martin O'Donnell, Paul McCartney, Skye Lewin, Stan LePard
Dust Giants
End of the Line
Hope

Divinity: Original Sin
Kirill Pokrovsky
Original Sin
Mysterious Guest
Power of Innocence

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
David Wise
Homecoming Hijinx
Scorch 'N' Torch
Aquatic Ambience

Dragon Age:Inquisition (iTunes)
Trevor Morris
In Hushed Whispers
Thedas Love Theme

Drakengard 3
MONACA (Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, Kakeru Ishihama, Kuniyuki Takahashi), Akitaka Tohyama, Denji Sano, Chihiro Onitsuka
Exhausted 3
The Rising Fool / Phanuel
Fallen God

Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Composers: Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano ; Arrangers: Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano, Tsutomu Narita, Hirosato Noda, Ryo Yamazaki
Sprouting
A Fleeting Dream
People of the Far North

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Patches: 2.2 Through the Maelstrom, 2.3 Defenders of Eorzea, 2.4 Dreams of Ice)
Masayoshi Soken
Through the Maelstrom
Seasons
Syrcus Tower

Freedom Planet (Bandcamp)
Woofle, Strife, BlueWarrior
Battle Glacier 1
Up The Creek (Jade Creek 1)
Trap Hideout 1

The Gardener and the Shepard (Bandcamp)
ABSRDST
You Can't Stop This Feeling
The Shepard
The Gardener

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
Matthew Chastney, Dmitrii Zavorotny
Svartalfheim
Munarvagir
Prologue

Hohokum (Ghostly International; Bandcamp)
Tycho, Matthew Dear, Osborne, Geoff White, Michna, Ben Benjamin, Shigeto
Com Truise - Declination (Instrumental)
Geoff White - Wedding Party
Tycho - A Walk

Hyrule Warriors
Masato Koike, Yuki Matsumura
Skyloft
Eclipse of the Sun
Twilight Field

Insurgency (Bandcamp)
Rich Douglas
Firefight
Immediate Evac
Hymn

Killer Instinct Season Two
Mick Gordon, Robin Beanland, Graeme Norgate
Downtown Demolition - TJ Combo's Theme
City of Dawn - Maya's Theme
Forbidden Archive - Kan-Ra's Theme

Kirby Triple Deluxe
Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa
Reflected Laughter
Sullied Grace
Moonstruck Blossom

The Last of Us Volume 2 (Left Behind Soundtrack)http://vgmdb.net/album/44362 (iTunes)
Gustavo Santaolalla, Andrew Buresh, Anthony Caruso, Jonathan Mayer
Fleeting
All Gone (Reunion)
Left Behind

Lethal League (Site)
Khalaser, Klaus Veen, bignic, grillo, zeroscar
Klaus Veen - Ordinary Days
Grillo - Urabon
Doctor Lazer - Headbangeren

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, Mitsuto Suzuki
Sunset Path
Death Game
Sunset Prism

Lovely Planet (Bandcamp)
Calum Bowen
Lovely City
Lovely Forest
Lovely Mountains

Luftrausers (Bandcamp)
Jukio "Kozilek" Kallio
Laserauser
Trickrauser
Luftrauser

Mario Kart 8
Shiho Fujii, Atsuko Asahi, Ryo Nagamatsu, Yasuaki Iwata
Mount Wario
Mute City
Electrodrome

Monocle Man (Bandcamp)
Kaleb Grace, Davain Martinez, Cameron McLaughlin, Richard Ash, Glen Jackson
Walking on Air
Watch Your Step
Circuit Breaker

Might & Magic X: Legacy (iTunes)
Jason Graves, Roc Chen
Might and Magic Main Theme

Nidhogg
Daedelus
Castle
Wilds
Clouds

Persona 4: Arena Ultimax
Atsushi Kitajoh, Shoji Meguro
Break Out Of...
Blood Red Moon
Fool Or Clown?

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Atsushi Kitajoh, Toshiki Konishi, Shoji Meguro, Yuzo Koshiro
Light the Fire Up in the Night -MIDNIGHT CHANNEL-
Disturbances ~ The One Called from Beyond
Corn Dog

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Go Ichinose, Junichi Masuda, Morikazu Aoki, Minako Adachi, Shota Kageyama, Hideaki Kuroda, Hitomi Sato, Satoshi Nohara
Route 119
Team Hideout
Abandoned Ship

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Tomohito Nishiura, Yasumasa Kitagawa, Masakazu Sugimori
LINK
Pursuit ~ Cornered (English Court Suite)
Opening Theme

Saturday Morning RPG (Bandcamp)
Vince DiCola, Kenny Meriedeth
Battle Scene
What Once Was Lost
Legacy

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sen no Kiseki II (iTunes)
Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga)
Awakening
Bring Up Trust!
Blue Destination

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Akihi Motoyama, Mutsumi Ishimura
Beyond Light and Darkness

Shin Megami Tensei IV (EU Vote Only)
Ryota Koduka, Kenichi Tsuchiya, Toshiki Konishi
Infernal Tokyo Underground District
Roppongi Area
Camp Ichigaya

Shovel Knight (Bandcamp)
Jake Kaufman, Manami Matsumae
Fighting With All of Our Might
Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage)
The Defender (Black Knight Battle)

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth (Amazon)
Geoff Knorr, Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope
The Future of Mankind
Xenomalleum
Deep Memory

Strike Vector (Bandcamp)
the maravers
Texas Hangar
On the Loose
Surrenders

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS
Almost the Entire JP VGM Industry, Ok?
Fortress Boss Remix (Super Mario World)
The Valedictory Elegy
Donkey Kong Country Returns theme (Vocals)

Super Splatform!http://vgmdb.net/album/44408 (Bandcamp)
Sam Washburn, Rianna Harbron, Robin Harbron
Disproportionately Difficult (World 3)
Super Splatform!
A Splat Odyssey (World 4)

Sweezy Gunner (Bandcamp)
Injekted With A Poison ft Windybeard
Glowshroom Caverns
Twisted Tundra
Twilight Cove

Tales of Xillia 2
Motoi Sakuraba
The Agent That Plots
Break The Time Factor
Peaceful Evidence

Tengami (Bandcamp)
David Wise
The Pale Moonlight
Blossoms Falling
Five Stories to Heaven

Trace Vector (Bandcamp)
Flexstyle
Realm of Chaos
Bittersweet Nebula
Electromagnetic

Transistor (extended soundtrack) (Bandcamp; Extended Bandcamp)
Darren Korb
V_n_sh_ng P__nt
We All Become
The Spine

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Amazon)
Daniel Teper, Clinton Rusich, Manuel Faivre, Miguel Saboga, Yvo Abadi, Moritz Bintig, Francisco Becker, Daniel Martinez, Rael Jones, Michael Price, James Ross McNair, Daryl Griffith, Bruno Alexiu, Gregor Narholz, Ann Moore, Lorne Balfe, John Devereaux, Leo Nissim, Royo Utge, Valeriy Antonyuk, Stephen Satterthwaite, Alex Johnson, Christopher Allen, Ian Livingstone
Main Theme 2
Time To Relax
Paris

Velocity 2X (iTunes)
Joris de Man, James Marsden
General Glaive
Flight Computer
Rekenium

The Wolf Among Us
Jared Emerson-Johnson
Opening Credits
Bigby's Place
Crane's Business Office

Wolfenstein: The New Order (Vocal Music Selection)
Mick Gordon
Die Käfer - Mond, Mond, Ja, Ja
Main Theme
Ransacked

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Russell Brower, Neal Acree, Clint Bajakian, Sam Cardon, Craig Stuart Garfinkle, Edo Guidotti, Eimear Noone
The Homeworld Beckons
Sacrifice
Family

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ugh, I'm not even done with my GOTY list. So much lists to do this year.

1. Shovel Knight

8-bit catchy songs that won't leave your head made by legendary Jake Kaufman.

Fighting With All Our Might
Strike the Earth (Plains of Passage)
The Bounty Hunter (Treasure Knight Battle)

2. Mario Kart 8

The jazzy music is just incredible. It shows this was made by the same team behind the Super Mario Galaxy music.

Mute City
N64 Rainbow Road
Mount Wario

3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

It's David Wise. It's just David fucking Wise.

Homecoming Hijinx
Scorch 'N' Torch
Aquatic Ambience

Honorable Mentions:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

The only reason I'm not putting this on the list as #1 is because I feel it would be cheating. Yes, the soundtrack is amazing, but it relies mostly on remixes, a lot of which come from the previous game, Brawl. Still, amazing soundtrack.

The Valedictory Elegy
Main Theme
Menu (Melee) Ver. 2

Kirby: Triple Deluxe

There's something so odd about cutesy games like Kirby's to have so magnificent, even at times epic music.

Queen Sectonia Phase 1
Queen Sectonia Final Phase
Fountain of Dreams

Dawg

Woot, I didn't know Austian Wintory was on GAF.

FYI: he's working on The Order 1886. Probably why that OST sounds so good <3

MrBadger

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It's not even close for me. When it was revealed that David Wise would be scoring Tropical Freeze, I was looking forward to some remixes of Stickerbrush Symphony and In a Snowbound Land. What I wasn't ready for was an entirely new OST which I dare say surpasses DK Country 2's music. What's even better is all the remixes in there are completely new takes as opposed to just the modern updates that DKCR offered. Lots of examples -

Busted Bayou
Big Top Bop
Windmill Hills
Sawmill Thrill
Wing Ding
Scorch 'N Torch
Twilight Terror - Stickerbrush Symphony
Deep Keep
High Tide Ride
Amiss Abyss
Frosty Fruits

2. Shovel Knight

When it came to capturing what was so good about NES styled platformers like Megaman, Shovel Knight delivered not only in level design, but music as well. The soundtrack just gets you pumped up. Examples -

Strike the Earth!
La Danse Macabre
An Underlying Problem

3. Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright

The original music in this game is really great, but what steals the show is the fantastic re-arrangements of music from two franchises that both have a reputation for great music.

Puzzles
The City at Night
A Quiet Moment
LINK
Defendant Lobby - English Court Suite
Cornered
Professor Layton's theme 2
The Trial of the Great Witch
Confess the Truth
Into the Forest

Honorable Mention - Kirby: Triple Deluxe

It's the usual Kirby stuff, but it's still great. I really enjoy the happy, bubbly stage themes and intense, exciting boss themes this series has to offer.

Floral Fields
Reflected Laughter
Revenge of the Enemy
Moonstruck Blossom

LTTP - Ace Attorney Investigations - Prosecutor's Path

Originally I wanted this game to be in my no.2 spot, but since Capcom dropped the ball with localising it, I only got to play it because of the fan translation. Anyway, it's an Ace Attorney soundtrack so obviously it's good. But I actually think this is one of the strongest in the series sp I definitely want to give it a vote. Examples -

Objection 2010
Joking Motive
Goddess of the Law
Confrontation - Presto
Pursuit - Wanting to Find the Truth

Slixshot

Banned
1. Transistor
2. Super Smash Bros Wii U
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Honorable Mention:
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

LTTP:
Xenoblade Chronicles
GOD DAMN was this game amazing.

1 - The Last of Us Vol 2 - This came out the same time as Left Behind's PS3's release so I reckon it's eligible, considering its inclusion of not just more music from the main game but also Left Behind.

Gustavo Santaliella once again shows how his inclusion onto the project was a masterstroke from Naughty Dog. Wonderfully fitting music for the most apt of situations in either the main campaign or Left Behind.

Standouts:

Fleeting (Left Behind)
All Gone (Reunion) (Main game)
Left Behind (Le---it says right there!)

2 - Transistor - Darren Korb made a lovely wee soundtrack with Bastion, but Transistor is just as wonderful. It's terrific.

Standouts:

Old Friends
We All Become
Coasting

3 - Destiny - Sad that this is going to be the last bunch of music Bungie and Marty O'Donnell do together but it's still no less fantastic.

Standouts:

The Ecstasy
The Traveler
The Union

Heropon

I wanted to contribute to this thread but then I remembered that I haven't played many 2014 games this year and that would be unfair for those games that I haven't been able to complete yet. I'm interested in what everyone has to say, though, so I'll read your posts.

NotLiquid

KoQbeZ9.png

1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
In many ways I would say getting back David Wise was not a stroke of genius merely because of his amazing work in tailoring the original trilogy's timeless soundtrack, but also for being perhaps the best qualified to be able to depict the evolution of Donkey Kong Country with it. David Wise has been there from the start. Much like the Donkey Kong Country franchise, he's evolved, and the reunion spells out the best possible result where both facets surrounding the production are at their absolute peak, being able to live up to their fullest potential. It'd be easy to phone in the job and play off of the countless nostalgia associated with the franchise's soundtrack by having Wise pump it full of remixes, but in taking the high road the soundtrack manages to do more than just live off of the predecessor's fame and provide a soundtrack that manages to evoke that timeless nostalgia simply on account of masterful composition and production. The beautiful melodies, the detailed textures and the fantastic instrumentation manages to breathe life into every frame and movement within the game. Hell, the fact that the soundtrack alone managed to elevate the sequel from it's predecessor significantly is so incredibly telling of how important music is to games.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is a beautiful, timeless work of art that is equally imbued in memories of the past, the atmosphere of present and the outlook of the future. It's an instant classic that will easily be treasured for years to come.
Notable Tracks: Seashore War, Scorch n Torch

J63MH3E.png

2. Mario Kart 8
The amount of focus that Nintendo puts into music never ceases to amaze me. If you just YouTube Mario Kart 8's music, you'll be able to find some live recordings of the game's music team performing all the music live, and the result is some of the most tightly crafted big band compositions in a game I've yet to experience. Beautiful saxes and trumpets evoke one hell of a swinging, jazzy feeling, the odd guitar to break up the action manages to add several layers of unexpected variety, stellar percussion as a whole and even the electronic influences with such standouts as Electrodrome manages to push Mario Kart 8's soundtrack into a jazzy, groovy, action-packed soundtrack that makes the races all the more colorful and multifaceted. You can put any song on during a party and it'd be impossible not to jam with the groove. With the amount of production gone into it, Mario Kart finally managed to get the Galaxy and 3D World treatment with it's music.
Notable Tracks: Electrodrome, Staff Credits

f876zBq.png

3. Shovel Knight
Jake Kaufman has been something of a personal hero of mine ever since I discovered his music (and games associated with him/WayForward) through Mighty Switch Force. Shovel Knight not only exposes his sheer sense of melody but his technical prowess for making music. The incredible amount of complexity in each layer of sound is made so tight and rigid as to barely be playable on a Famicom, and not a single beat is missed in there. Much like the game itself, the soundtrack is a spectacular celebration of the bygone 8-bit era, and is the most perfect exemplary of retro nostalgia done well, where it's not made to capitalize off of it's inspirations but made to respect it and make something that would have been just as fantastic now as it would have been back then.
Notable Tracks: Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage), La Danse Macabre (The Lich Yard)

1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. I have little to no attachment to old school DK titles or their soundtracks, so this thing hit me totally off guard. This music is melodic and atmospheric, fresh and varied, and perfect for each map. These are the best tracks in the game the way I see it, and it really says something for the variety of DK's music that this game has been mentioned on this page alone so many times and my favorites are still unique picks -

Jelly Jamboree is dank
Zipline Shrine could replace Jungle Japes outright, shit's catchy as hell
Harvest Hazards speaks for itself
Cannon Canyon is pretty laid back and relaxed and builds up over time into an awesome tune
Jammin Jams is always fun to listen to
Jelly Jamboree - I rarely see this one mentioned but it is so good. that breakdown around 1m30s makes me put my stank face on. the bass tone on this one is also superb. seriously just let this one play out. it's that hypnotic head bob shit for sure.

hell yeah! it's my favorite track in the game and Beehive Brawl is just so damn good

2. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster

There's nothing about the GOAT video game soundtrack that hasn't already been said in the last 10 years and this is the GOAT OST remaster

To Zanarkand
Battle Theme
Auron's Theme
Seymour's Ambition

3. Mario Kart 8

I can't link to any songs right now but I'm sure everything I wanted to post is in here somewhere

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wanted to contribute to this thread but then I remembered that I haven't played many 2014 games this year and that would be unfair for those games that I haven't been able to complete yet. I'm interested in what everyone has to say, though, so I'll read your posts.
I wouldn't mind if you just stuck an LTTP vote in without voting for 2014 soundtracks, tbh. This thread is less strict than the GotY thread in terms of formatting mostly because I'm counting by hand/via spreadsheet than by a parser.

I'm more interested in reading what people have to say and having people talk about their fave tracks and soundtracks.

Woot, I didn't know Austian Wintory was on GAF.
For the curious, Virt/Jake Kaufman has an account as well.

daydream

Banned
Thanks for making the thread, Schala! I don't think I've ever participated in the GOTY threads but I always look forward to the SOTY voting.

[gonna do a new post for my vote]

Falk

that puzzling face
I assume I'm disqualified from voting on grounds of professional bias? :V

edit: can't speel

Anth0ny

I know what my #1 is, but I need to finish my GOTY backlog before I can establish the rest of my list.

I should be good for the Jan 11 deadline >_<

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is this post in character or did you really decide to just read and then totally disregard the rules for this thing
Vote seems fine. Checked last year's thread to see if they voted for LR, and they didn't have a ballot back then.

Final Fantasy X HD is eligible since the whole soundtrack had gotten arranged.

Additionally, Halo 2 Anniversary is eligible since someone asked about it privately. I listened to the soundtrack last week and it is changed from the original soundtrack.

Thanks for making the thread, Schala! I don't think I've ever participated in the GOTY threads but I always look forward to the SOTY voting.

Post reserved~
Ghaleon deserves half of the thanks, too, since he had some input into the new rules/criteria for voting, and he gets the final say in how the thread looks before posting.

but no probs~

I'll vote towards the end like always.

I assume I'm disqualified on grounds of professional bias? :V
You're totally allowed to vote because I want to know what you liked since I haven't gotten to talk to you in a long time. :/

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

ibagtaZwmkk2CG.png

Quality. Quantity. Variety. David Wise brings the hype, he brings the feels, he brings the atmosphere, and he seemingly brings everything in between. This is an absolutely loaded OST with stunning arrangements at every turn.

Other notable tracks: Scorch 'n' Torch, Twilight Terror, Credits Theme

2. Destiny

One of the few shining lights in the darkness that is Destiny. From warm, optimistic melodies to blood-pumping, percussion-heavy tracks, Destiny's quality in compositions makes it one of the the year's finest.

Notable tracks: Dust Giants, End of the Line, Excerpt from the Hope

3. Shovel Knight

Catchy as all hell. Numerous energetic, fast-paced tracks that are made even more charming by their chiptune style. Several of Shovel Knight's tracks are already burned into my brain just after a small handful of playthroughs. Strike the Earth is one of the year's best tracks, period.

Other notable tracks: La Danse Macabre, Of Devious Machinations

Honorable mention: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. One of the greatest soundtracks ever assembled, I just can't justify it a spot on the list due to its overwhelming reliance on remixes. It'd feel dirty, yo.

NotLiquid

I assume I'm disqualified from voting on grounds of professional bias? :V

edit: can't speel

You're the same Falk from After the Sequel right? That soundtrack was spectacular. You and everyone else who worked on that game's OST did a tremendous job.

Falk

that puzzling face
Additionally, Halo 2 Anniversary is eligible since someone asked about it privately. I listened to the soundtrack last week and it is changed from the original soundtrack.

You're totally allowed to vote because I want to know what you liked since I haven't gotten to talk to you in a long time. :/

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-the-master-chief-collection/credits/halo-2

Halo 2 Anniv. had an entire boatload of people involved in the music. (ctrl-f "finishing move") They absolutely deserve to be recognized

Will think about my votes then!

You're the same Falk from After the Sequel right? That soundtrack was spectacular. You and everyone else who worked on that game's OST did a tremendous job.

aw shucks

Comment was more related to 2014 stuff though!

1. Mario Kart 8

Performances are fantastic, and the renditions of classic songs (and reworkings for the DLC) are nothing short of amazing. The big band/jazz/rock feel is perfect for the game and the Mute City and Excitebike songs are god tier. Dat sax tho

Highlights: Mute City, Excitebike, Rainbow Road (both of them), Electrodome

2. Guilty Gear Xrd

Every song is memorable and legitimately good. Solid riffs to back up the fighting, with soaring leads to make it all the more epic. All you need. Some of the songs with vocals are pretty cheesy but it all works in the context of the game, plus it's 99% of the time instrumentals during matches (Sol's transformation cues up one, there may be others?)

Highlights: Millia's Theme, Ky's Theme, Sol vs. Ky Theme

3. Destiny

Say what you will about the "campaign", but I loved everything about the look, feel, and sound of Destiny. I often find myself wandering around the Tower, looking off into the distance, getting lost in the soundtrack. There's not much else to do in the Tower, but yeah. On a side note, the Paul McCartney song blows but I haven't played that far into the story to hear it in-game. His music video is straight up terribad though.

Highlights: Soothing ambient stuff in the Tower, Main Theme

1. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
Well it's David Wise, one of Rare's greatest composer next to Grant Kirkhope and Robin Beanland. The music in the game is just as amazing, if not better than his composition in the original DKC SNES trilogy.
Mountain Mania
Wing Ding
Forest Folly

2.Shovel Knight
Great 8-bit music from Jake Kaufman aka Virt and Megaman composer Manami Matsumae. Each song from the game is just feels adventurous as you enter a new level.
Courage Under Fire- Armorer Village
Flowers of Antimony (The Explodatorium) [Manami Matsumae]
An Underlying Problem (The Lost City)

3. Hyrule Warriors
Zelda music mixed with Rock music. The music always make me feel very energetic every time I play.
Focal Line
Eclipse of the Sun
Remnant of Twilight

LTTP entry:
Nier
While the game has not the greatest gameplay, it's Keiichi Okabe music that makes the game enjoyable experience that made me go through the game.
Snow in Summer
The Dark Colossus Destroys All
Song of the Ancients Fate

K.Sabot

1. Drakengard 3 ; This ost built the world and atmosphere of Drakengard 3, and definitely sets the mood. Retains a bit of the brilliance of Drakengard 1's OST, but replaces most of it with the emotive power Nier's OST had. Is used very well within in the game, to no surprise considering the subject matter of the story and its characters. Wish they could have used this absolute gem of a track somewhere in the game other than its reveal, but otherwise I think this soundtrack is beyond anything I've heard this year. Keichi Okabe and the rest of MONACA really knocked it out of the park with this, in my humble opinion.
Exhausted 3 / Tsukiru 3
Leafs of Chaos / Battlefield
Final Song
Leap Wishes / Egrigori
The Upcoming Battle / Battlefield
Black Song (based Emi Evans version)
This Silence is Mine
2. Lightning Returns : Final Fantasy XIII ; Better than the game, ridiculous amount of music of very consistently great quality (5 HOURS). Masashi Hamauzu is assuredly becoming my favorite composer of music in videogaming.
Lightning's Theme - Radiance
Almighty Bhunivelze
Lightning Returns
Luxerion
Death Game
3. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; It's just damn good.
Maze of Life
Light the Fire Up in the Night P3 Version
You in Wonderland
Changing Me

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Retro teamed up with David Wise to produce the greatest 2D platformer of all time which also happens to have the greatest soundtrack of all time in a video game. This game is very special to me, I could listen to the soundtrack for the rest of my life and still marvel at its sheer beauty.

Amiss Abyss - I hate water levels in almost every game in my 20 years as a gamer. Phenomenal ambient music combined with razor sharp controls made me a lover of Tropical Freeze's water levels.
Scorch 'n' Torch - Donkey Kong is the king of the jungle but this one is on fire. It is a frantic race through expert level design as everything from bushes, shrubs, branches, and trees burn down to the ground. Take a moment to feel the heat, but don't get burned by the fire.
Big Top Bop - People complained about the weak boss fights in DKCR. Retro fired back with much boss fights and the very first one packs a powerful punch with this electrifying track.

2. Transistor ; This game really came out of nowhere. I randomly heard about a new game from the creators of Bastion on Steam and bought it impulsively. The intricacies of the new combat system took me some time to get the hang of and it didn't quite captivate me right away like Bastion did. Still, I loved it the more I played it and the beautiful artstyle is backed by beautiful music.

In Circles - I have a special appreciation for developers like Supergiant who place importance on the music. This game goes above and beyond that. The music is a part of the game, the game is a part of the music. Listening to it on YouTube really does not have the same impact it would while playing the game, but perhaps that applies to every single track that will be posted in this thread.
The Spine - I don't want to talk about the story to avoid spoiling anything but a lot of the game's soundtrack feels like it belongs in the world. I still like to think this game's soundtrack doubles over as the game's lore and history to help you learn more about the world. That's all I can say without really spoiling the characters.

3. Bayonetta 2 ; I still can't believe this is real life. Just the fact that this game exists in the state it does. Platinum learned a lot of lessons over the years and partnering with Nintendo produced easily their most polished title yet. I appreciate the fact that Platinum puts a lot of emphasis on the audio and their games have soundtracks which get you pumped for the action. I live for games like this.

Tomorrow Is Mine - Bayonetta got a new haircut, new outfit, new weapons, and new powers but most importantly, a new theme song.
Moon River - This is just a thing of beauty. Criminally underused in the game, but that's why I'm posting it here so we can all enjoy it a little more.

2014 was a great year for video games. For me, Tropical Freeze is one of the all time best and will always be my first answer whenever someone brings up video game osts.

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Retro teamed up with David Wise to produce the greatest 2D platformer of all time which also happens to have the greatest soundtrack of all time in a video game. This game is very special to me, I could listen to the soundtrack for the rest of my life and still marvel at its sheer beauty.

2014 was a great year for video games. For me, Tropical Freeze is one of the all time best and will always be my first answer whenever someone brings up video game osts.

5mncl.gif

braves01

Banned
1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Can't say much more other than I loved it and think it's one of the best soundtracks of all time. I think it's a genuinely beautiful soundtrack that complements the visual tone of the game extremely well. The two tracks below are just a couple of my very favorites.

Busted Bayou
Mangrove Cove

2. Mario Kart 8 - I don't think Mario Kart music has really been all that memorable until this release. It was a big step up over MK Wii and its predecessors in that respect.

Dolphin Shoals
Toad Harbor

3. Bayonetta 2 - Really fun sound that goes well with the game. I especially like Tomorrow is Mine.

Moon River
Tomorrow is Mine

Honourable Mentions

Shovel Knight
Super Smash Bros.

LTTP vote

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
Final Fantasy VI

1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - Easiest pick I had. As everyone else has already said David Wise is a genius. I had an incredibly tough time picking out a couple of stand out tracks because there's so many options.
Busted Bayou
Alpine Incline

2. Bravely Default - This was the only Soundtrack I could think of that competed with DKCTF. It really reminded me of classic Square RPG's, and classic JRPG's in general. There's a track for every moment and fits perfectly within the game.
Eternity's Moment
The Day the Wind Blew

3. Bayonetta 2 - I'm not sure anyone could listen to that version of Moon River and not be in the mood for a fast paced character action game battle scene.
Moon River
Glamor: In Charm and Allure

Honorable Mention
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - There isn't too much to this OST, but I really liked what was there. All that classic Metal Gear feeling with some new takes on it.

Here's to You

Ground Zeroes Theme

Asbear

Banned

DPhentom

Not a final list but this is what I'm thinking of so far:

1. Killer Instinct - Its rare to go a day at work without listening to one of the themes in the soundtrack. This are probably my two favorites Hinnamatoom and City of Dawn theme.

2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Probably my favorite from the entire game. Like listening to it when doing homework Aquatic Ambiance.

Top Bottom