• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #156 - "Connections"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Theme - Connections

2000 word Limit

IMPORTANT EDITSo due to the holiday season and it being pretty busy for everyone. I'm giving a short extension to everyone in the thread.
The new deadline to submit your story will be SUNDAY DECEMBER 28TH AT NOON PACIFIC!!!

In addition the new deadline for the reading will be TUESDAY DECEMBER 30TH 11:59 PM PACIFIC!!!

All other rules are still in effect. End of important edit.

Submission deadline Friday December 26th. by 11:59pm pacific.
Voting ends Monday 29th by 11:59 pacific.

Each deadline has a six hour grace period, so long as you get the story in within three hours of the deadline you're good.

Secondary Objective: Characters can speak only once! Each of your characters get one chance to speak, whether it be a short sentence or a long and dramatic monologue is up to you.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Gazoinks

I wasn't going to do anything except vote since this is the first time I've got around to participating in one of these, plus I'm working on finishing up a book, but... That secondary objective! I might have to whip something up, I feel ideas flowing a bit. :D

HeelPower

The key word "connections" seems incredibly vague.

I can't make sense of it at all.

It could be almost anything.

But I guess that's the point.

Zweizer

Banned
I pretty much never use dialogue so that secondary is perfect for me~

The main theme is hella vague though. Hmm...

Nezumi

Nice secondary. I already know how to deal with it. Now I only need to find a way to connect it with the theme...

LaMagenta

I'm with everyone, very excited about that second theme. But I foolishly volunteered to make Xmas dinner :S Not sure if I'll get around to writing, maybe on the last day again? :D

Hmmm. I may have a germ of an idea for this one. I missed the last thread. Maybe I'll get a shot to participate in this one.

Mike M

Nick N
You do know that YOU are the exception to the rule here though, don't you?
im-a-monster-arrested-development.gif

blakep267

when you say Speak only once, this is for dialogue, or would narration be considered speaking? Im pretty sure I get the objective, but just wanted to make sure

Mike M

Nick N
when you say Speak only once, this is for dialogue, or would narration be considered speaking? Im pretty sure I get the objective, but just wanted to make sure

Interpret it however you want.

I, personally, am sticking with the letter of the law while showing complete disregard for the spirit : P

Nezumi

Merry Christmas everyone!

Question: Am I the only one who finds it kind of difficult to coordinate this challenge AND Christmas? What would be the general opinion on postponing the deadline a couple of days?

Cyan

Banned
Merry Christmas everyone!

Question: Am I the only one who finds it kind of difficult to coordinate this challenge AND Christmas? What would be the general opinion on postponing the deadline a couple of days?

I'd say if we were going to do something like that, make it a week so we're still on the proper schedule for the next one. Up to the thread creator, I suppose. ;)

Mike M

Nick N
I'd say if we were going to do something like that, make it a week so we're still on the proper schedule for the next one. Up to the thread creator, I suppose. ;)
Nooooo, a week will throw off my writing group/creative writing challenge alignment : (

Nezumi

I don't need an entire week either. But I surely know that the earliest time I'll be able to sit down to write my story will be Sunday afternoon (early Sunday morning for US folks) :(

FlowersisBritish

I was about to post a thing, but if a lot of people want to postpone a week(making it next friday) I can do that. But this is the last day, and we'd have a new challenge by tuesday. So I dunno. If there's a lot of people that feel they could use an extra week then I'd be for postponing, I'll be up till 4 or five am eastern, so I'll wait till then to see what the general consensus is.

If you're on the fence about it, then really the question I have to ask is "Do you have something prepared?"

EDIT: OOOOOOOOOOR weird idea, people don't usually post their reactions till monday and such, so we could just give a temporary increase to like Sunday afternoon, since the holidays are pretty legit reasons to not be able to write. I know I've been busy with christmas shopping and such. Most people seem to do their readings the last minute, so postponing till sunday doesn't seem like it would hurt people toooooo much.

Valhelm

contribute something
Oh my god, I thought that the deadline was on the 29th. I'll try to finish and submit within three hours.

Edit: I'd fully support postponing for a week. I'm doing the secondary objective too, which makes this difficult.

Mike M

Nick N
Fortunately the holidays didn't affect me much, because I am a cold and unfeeling automaton who does not know your human feelings such as "joy," or your primitive notions of "family" and "togetherness."

Open Channel
Usual password, 969 words.

What's actually going on is open for interpretation, I was attempting to be ambiguous on purpose.

Jeez, I always seem to miss these threads. Always find out about them after the deadline. :(

1. Subscribe to this one.
2. Check it out when it updates with the new challenge.
3. Um... I guess we just skip straight to profit in this case.

Cyan

Banned
EDIT: OOOOOOOOOOR weird idea, people don't usually post their reactions till monday and such, so we could just give a temporary increase to like Sunday afternoon, since the holidays are pretty legit reasons to not be able to write. I know I've been busy with christmas shopping and such. Most people seem to do their readings the last minute, so postponing till sunday doesn't seem like it would hurt people toooooo much.

Could potentially work as well, yeah. But better make up your mind quick! We got a little over an hour to the deadline...

FlowersisBritish

I don't need an entire week either. But I surely know that the earliest time I'll be able to sit down to write my story will be Sunday afternoon (early Sunday morning for US folks) :(

Jeez, I always seem to miss these threads. Always find out about them after the deadline. :(

Could potentially work as well, yeah. But better make up your mind quick! We got a little over an hour to the deadline...

Any sort of extension is fine with me.

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN TEMPORARY EXTENSION FOR THE HOLIDAYS!

NEW DEADLINE FOR THE STORIES WILL BE SUNDAY DECEMBER 28TH AT NOON PACIFIC!!!

BY EXTENSION THE READING DEADLINE WILL ALSO BE EXTENDED BY ONE DAY! SO TUESDAY DECEMBER 30TH 11:59 PM PACIFIC!!!

Hope everyone uses their time well. I might use mine to redo a story. I have a thing, but I'm not sure if it's how I want to handle the secondary.

Nezumi

Finally time to start writing. If everything goes according to keikaku I should be able to submit before the end of the deadline.

y2wd9rK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom