• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 new Token System: A breakdown and Comparison.

MouldyK

Earlier today, we activated a new feature in Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One and Xbox 360 allowing players to purchase tokens which can be used for in-game items like cars, upgrades, etc. Xbox One players who do not wish to see the token feature in the Forza Horizon 2 menus have the option to disable this feature from appearing by turning Tokens off in the in-game Marketplace menu.

The bolded part is great as it allows people to not be interrupted by the micro-transactions. Forza Motorsport 6 NEEDS this.

Prices in the UK:

100 Tokens: £0.79
300 Tokens (+25 free): £2.39
500 Tokens (+75 free): £3.99
1,000 Tokens (+250 free): £7.99
2,000 Tokens (+750 free): £15.99
5,000 Tokens (+3,000 free): £39.99
10,000 Tokens (+10,000 free): £64.99

This is EXACTLY the same as Forza Motorsport 5's rate, which is fine.

Conversion Rate:

Cheapest Car: 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI: 4,500 CR or 8 Tokens (or £0.0632 if going by the rate that is 1 Token = 0.0079)

10828109_10202464830136188_8658264584517000436_o.jpg

In this case, 1 Token = 562.5 credits.

Priciest Car: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO: 5,850,000 CR or 9,750 Tokens (or £77.025 if going by the rate that is 1 Token = 0.0079)

10479910_10202464861056961_3792778626670542574_o.jpg

In this case, 1 token = 600 credits.

Bonus Enzo Comparison: 2002 Ferrari Enzo Ferarri: 684,000 CR or 1,140 Tokens (or £9.006 if going by the rate that is 1 Token = 0.0079)

10873592_10202464830376194_6007144727965525865_o.jpg

In this case, 1 token = 600 credits.

Comparison to Forza Motorsport 5:

Rabbit GTI:

10873553_10202464829776179_7351605069579646733_o.jpg

- 12,000 CR (FM5) VS 4,500 CR (FH2)
- 20 Tokens (FM5) VS 8 Tokens (FH2)
- £0.158 (FM5) VS £0.0632 (FH2)

The GTI in Forza Motorsport 5 has a conversion rate of 1 token = 600 CR, probably due to it's higher cost, allowing a cleaner conversion.

A £0.0948 decrease between Forza Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2. Not much really since it is on the low side of the cost spectrum.

250 GTO (Also Forza 5's Most Expensive Car, tied with the Lotus E21 Formula One Racing Car):

10848537_10202464830576199_1945681528916578094_o.jpg

- 2,000,000 CR VS 5,850,000 CR (FH2)
- 3,334 Tokens VS 9,750 Tokens (FH2)
- £26.3386 VS £77.025 (FH2)

The 250 GTO in Forza Motorsport 5 has a conversion rate of 1 token = 600 CR, similar to Horizon 2.

A £50.6864 increase between Forza Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2. Seriously...this is just Wow...hold on, let me get screenshots for this thread.

Enzo Ferrari:

1483725_10202464829296167_4582812031714939690_o.jpg

- 760,000 CR (FM5) VS 684,000 CR (FH2)
- 1,267 Tokens (FM5) VS 1,140 Tokens (FH2)
- £10.0093 (FM5) VS £9.006 (FH2)

The Enzo Ferarri in Forza Motorsport 5 has a conversion rate of 1 token = 599.84 CR, so roughly the same as Horizon 2's. If the car was 760,200 CR, it would be a flat rate of 600 CR per token.

A £1.0033 decrease between Forza Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2. This is nice since everyone likes cheaper cars.

Conclusion

e31.jpg

Well...I didn't expect the 250 GTO to be so pricey, that's for sure.

The 2nd priciest car in Horizon 2 is the Aston Martin DBR1's asking price of 4,500,000 CR or 7,500 Tokens or £59.25 (FM5's DBR1 costs £25.0193 in comparison).

Really, it all comes down to how easy it is to earn money and I think in Forza Horizon 2, it is easier to earn money overall than in Forza Motorsport 5 (I wouldn't know completely as I earn 2.1 million every month on both game thanks to Forza Rewards)

So, GAF, I want your opinion on the prices of Forza 5 and Horizon's Token System and Car Prices.

Anyway, this fact-finding took me 2 hours and now I am tired. Maybe time to play some Forza. :D

Also, a Treasure Map with all Speed Zones, Billboards and Barn Finds is now available on Horizon 2 and costs £2.39. This is reasonably cheap in my opinion. That is all.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's so easy to get money in Motorsport and Horizon that it makes these systems useless.

If you sign up for Forza rewards you'll get millions of credits for free.

I just redeemed this today:
DWi1q44.png

SUmruTr.png

The above is the total amount I've redeemed through the rewards program.

As long as this remains a option I don't see the problem with it, if people want to spend their money then let them. It clearly isn't making it hard to get money in the game with programs like Forza rewards that reward you for playing the games.

This is how the reward system works:

PPuLVKp.png

Tiers determine your monthly payout.

svY5iTp.png

A Tier is reached by playing any Forza title with the same gamertag except for the original Forza Motorsport.

iJLRMEQ.png

Here are a example of the objectives from Forza Horizon 2, not every game has this many.

EBE

i dont even understand the point. forza rewards gives you all the free credits you could want. turn off a few assists and youll be swimming in them. why waste money?

i think i have something like 9 million

sangreal

Then why the hell put it in then?

I don't know -- I've actually paid for dual currencies in other games, but I rarely play FH2 (due to time constraints) and I always have more money than I know what to do with. Not sure why anyone would pay

I mean, I guess I know why they put it in -- game didn't light the charts on fire -- but I just don't know why anyone would buy them

Bessy67

Cool that they at least give the option to hide it. I have ~8 million credits banked and I already own a lot of the expensive cars. Plus I've been gifted a Veneno and like 4 Huracans.

FordGTGuy

Banned
People who don't want to play the game to get expensive cars?

Exactly, for people who would rather spend the money then their own time.

Honestly I doubt anyone is spending 70 pounds on a car but I wouldn't doubt if you had people dropping $5 here and there because they don't want to wait to get into a car.

I don't know -- I've actually paid for dual currencies in other games, but I rarely play FH2 (due to time constraints) and I always have more money than I know what to do with. Not sure why anyone would pay

I mean, I guess I know why they put it in -- game didn't light the charts on fire -- but I just don't know why anyone would buy them

That's the thing about micro-transactions. The vast majority of people think they are ridiculous and never buy anything (the closest thing I've spent money on like that is Forza Horizon 2 VIP), but the 5% who do spend so much, it basically supports the entire ecosystem.

I've never been a micro-transaction hater. If they get intrusive, I just stop playing the usually free-to-play game. Kudos to MS for making this an option you can turn off, I hope that becomes commonplace.

On the flip side, I like the scale-able business model, and how free games are so numerous these days. I think it can be great for both players and developers in the right circumstance.

It's so easy to get money in Motorsport and Horizon that it makes these systems useless.

If you sign up for Forza rewards you'll get millions of credits for free.

Where are these phantom millions? I get 600k credits every time the rewards roll over, which I think is every month? And I'm only that high because I have XP from games going back to Forza 2. So to buy one of the most expensive cars in the game (which you need in order to enter the last racing championship), I need to rack up a ton of achievements, buy a bunch of cars, etc. in a few Forza games (because that's how your Forza Rewards level is calculated), and then wait a few months? Never mind the other racing series that also ask you to spend quite a bit of money just to get an eligible car.

And that's the EASY method in Forza 5. Trying to make that money the traditional way, by winning races, is a gong show. Series winnings don't increase very much as you go up the ranks, meaning you'll eventually be in the stupid position of buying a 500k or a million-credit car for the privilege of winning a tenth of that back in credits per championship.

Having to work for your cars is one thing, but it seems silly that in order to finish all series in the game, you have to eventually grind out races for hours and/or rely on Rewards money.

MouldyK

Thank you! Got 300,000 credits for both Forza 5 and Horizon 2.

You're on your way, kid!

Check back each month for more cash and if you have more Forza games, try to play them to each more.

I have 11,093 points out of a possible 11,500 (well 11,475 since Forza 2 has a crappy Auction House Achievement I can't get and Forza 3 does not recongize that I have 1,000/1,000 achievements), making me Tier 7 and now just waiting for Forza 6 so I can become Tier 8 and get more free credits!

I've never been a micro-transaction hater. If they get intrusive, I just stop playing the usually free-to-play game. Kudos to MS for making this an option you can turn off, I hope that becomes commonplace.

On the flip side, I like the scale-able business model, and how free games are so numerous these days. I think it can be great for both players and developers in the right circumstance.

Yeah, but I mainly set out to find what the difference in price was and on face value, the numbers put Forza Horizon cars as being overpriced if you want the DBR1 and like chrominance said, Forza 5 is actually a big grind. Hell, I started getting Rewards in July and by the time I got an Xbox One in September and got to the last races on Forza 5, I had barely enough money to buy a car for each championship. I norrowly avoided the grind, but how unlucky are Non-Reward players?

QaaQer

I have 11,093 points out of a possible 11,500 (well 11,475 since Forza 2 has a crappy Auction House Achievement I can't get and Forza 3 does not recongize that I have 1,000/1,000 achievements), making me Tier 7 and now just waiting for Forza 6 so I can become Tier 8 and get more free credits!

Is this still a racing game?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Where are these phantom millions? I get 600k credits every time the rewards roll over, which I think is every month? And I'm only that high because I have XP from games going back to Forza 2. So to buy one of the most expensive cars in the game (which you need in order to enter the last racing championship), I need to rack up a ton of achievements, buy a bunch of cars, etc. in a few Forza games (because that's how your Forza Rewards level is calculated), and then wait a few months? Never mind the other racing series that also ask you to spend quite a bit of money just to get an eligible car.

And that's the EASY method in Forza 5. Trying to make that money the traditional way, by winning races, is a gong show. Series winnings don't increase very much as you go up the ranks, meaning you'll eventually be in the stupid position of buying a 500k or a million-credit car for the privilege of winning a tenth of that back in credits per championship.

Having to work for your cars is one thing, but it seems silly that in order to finish all series in the game, you have to eventually grind out races for hours and/or rely on Rewards money.

You can see from the pictures above that I have redeemed 14 million in Motorsport 5 alone, your monthly payout is determined by your tier.

It's a racing game, you earn money to buy parts in order to continue racing with new and faster cars; racing games are a grind genre.

Is this still a racing game?

Is this a joke?

A racing game has a reward system so all of a sudden it can no longer be a racing game?

Horizon 2 absolutely smothers you in credits so I have absolutely no worries about this affecting the game much.

Even Forza 5 gave you a shitload of money very easily despite all the "shock" about the microtransactions.

FordGTGuy

Banned
F2P model? Is the game free now?

Might as well consider every modern racing game F2P then.

Gran Turismo, Forza, The Crew and everything else has micro-transactions to access in-game content faster.

Except for Project Cars and Driveclub(which removed them before launch.)

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Might as well consider every modern racing game F2P then.

Driveclub, Forza and everything else has micro-transactions to access in-game content faster.

Heresy, Driveclub has no microtransactions.

vesvci

Banned
Eh, VIP is all that's needed (unless you want specific cars). Plenty of credits, plus all these "shortcuts" not only do they cost real money, but they devaluate the game (less time paying). Games are meant to be played IMO.

I feel the same way about Battlefield 4 and the shortcut packs.

False

I really don't see the point of tacking this on well after the game's release. I'm glad you can disable it entirely from your game as it was little more than a distraction for me. I have piles of Forza credits already.

MouldyK

Is this a joke?

A racing game has a reward system so all of a sudden it can no longer be a racing game?

I think because the way I described it, he thought I mainly cared for the Reward Points.

Which is part true. For Forza 2, I needed to buy every car for an achievement and also earn $1,000,000 from Online Races on a 7 year old game. I found the best ways to earn it was:

- Buy another copy of Forza 2 and do 75 laps of an Oval using my Downstairs Xbox 360 and a week long free Xbox Live code to leave a car idle while I do an Oval for 50 minutes while listening to Podcasts and things.

This only earned me like $40,000 each race, meaning I had to do it like 25 times. It was long and boring and only worth 30 gamerscore (so 15 Reward Points), but if I didn't like the game so much (and the series as a whole), I would not have done it.

Forza Rewards motivated me to Complete every race in Forza 2, 3, Horizon 1 and all 10 Seasons of Forza 4 (could get achievements points from DLC to earn enough for reward points). It gave me a reason to actually go back to the games again and was also the key reason I got an Xbox One as I told myself if I got to Tier 6, I would get an Xbox One in time for Horizon 2.

I sure hope people aren't defending this.

The token system needs to not exist, period.

I think Forza 4 had a good system:

The Value:

1 Token - Vehicles under 100,000 CR
2 Tokens - Vehicles over 100,000 CR and under 900,000 CR
3 Tokens - Vehicles over 900,000 CR

The Cost:

1 Token - 80 Microsoft Points (£0.68, $1.00, 0.96€)
6 Tokens - 400 Microsoft Points (£3.40, $5.00, 4.80€)
13 Tokens - 800 Microsoft Points (£6.80, $10.00, 9.60€)
26 Tokens - 1600 Microsoft Points (£13.60, $20.00, 19.20€)

Better than now atleast.

FordGTGuy

Banned
They were removed before launch

https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/519220530558550016

Wouldn't be surprised to see them introduced later, like this game

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't find a clear answer by searching it.

Eh... it's a option and more options are always better. This doesn't seem to be affecting the economy at all which is already filled with money as is.

Moohan

Banned
Boooooooo to microtransactions entering a game...hell entering ANY game. But extremely legit that I have the option to turn that nonsense off and I agree with the earlier post, I truly hope this becomes common place.

Interesting that they added it in well after the game has been launched. Maybe for those that just recently got the game (on sale, for the holidays, etc.) and want to just move forward ASAP??

Game is a blast to me and like many others in this thread I have been a Forza Rewards member since inception so no worries here. And again as has been stated earlier, this game showers you with credits so assuming you actually play the game you really won't need to purchase anything. Now FM5 .... that's a whole other story.

Bessy67

I'm not defending it, but I don't really care either. Credits/cars are pretty easy to earn in Horizon 2 but if some people want to earn them even faster by spending some money then fine.

zorbsie

It's interesting that tokens are needed in FH2 at all. The game is pretty generous with payouts. In the time I've played, I have acquired 204 cars and have 19M in the bank. I do like that there is an option to just turn it off. It's strange that they would introduce this 2 months after launch. Were people really asking for it? Or this way they catch less fire for it.

God I hate this crap.

On the positive side you can opt out. On the negative side they said nothing about this game having macrotransactions, and popped this out of nowhere post-release. And of course the pricing is absurd.

I get that companies want to explore additional revenue streams, but this game already has ultimate edition bundles, premium car packs, a premium car pass, a premium VIP status purchase, and premium expansion DLC. These tokens unlock content already on the disk so you aren't getting anything new out of this that you haven't already paid full price to get in the first place, and with some crazy car/token prices at that. It comes across as price-gouging for vapor, or selling the same item twice over and then some.

I've got no problem paying for new stuff, and I love DLC. But progression accelerators and unlocks have no place in a full priced game imho.

bedlamite

For all those making such a fuss about the token system: do you actually play the game? Every third post in this thread is about how FH2 throws ingame cash at you but I guess the complainers are all just selectively reading. You're given an option to even turn the system off but nope, let's complain anyway

Also,

lol so MS has to resort to these shenanigans amirite? where did that even come from

KAOS

Hey how about giving the players the ability to gift cars!!! You know like you use to in previous Forza's!!!

shandy706

I'm fine with this type of transactions.

The game wasn't built around it. In game credits are plentiful. You can turn them off. Impatient people can use $.

Yeah, I'm ok with that.

dwells

Shouldn't exist at all. There shouldn't even be an option to pay real money to access existing content in a full-price title, period. This is the type of thing that there used to be cheat codes for, not an option to spend real cash.

JaggedSac

God I hate this crap.

On the positive side you can opt out. On the negative side they said nothing about this game having macrotransactions, and popped this out of nowhere post-release. And of course the pricing is absurd.

I get that companies want to explore additional revenue streams, but this game already has ultimate edition bundles, premium car packs, a premium car pass, a premium VIP status purchase, and premium expansion DLC. These tokens unlock content already on the disk so you aren't getting anything new out of this that you haven't already paid full price to get in the first place, and with some crazy car/token prices at that. It comes across as price-gouging for vapor, or selling the same item twice over and then some.

I've got no problem paying for new stuff, and I love DLC. But progression accelerators and unlocks have no place in a full priced game imho.

Nah, they've always said they wouldn't be there "at launch". This should not have been a surprise to anyone as it was obviously the plan all along.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb...ave-microtransactions-at-launch/1100-6420532/

sangreal

Shouldn't exist at all. There shouldn't even be an option to pay real money to access existing content in a full-price title, period. This is the type of thing that there used to be cheat codes for, not an option to spend real cash.

that ship sailed 10 years ago

Top Bottom