• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

instagram deletes millions of fake/spam accounts. People mad, ChiragChirag78 is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corgi

Banned
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/18/...-teens-and-celebrities-angry-by-removing-spam

instagram2.0.jpg

A crackdown on spam Instagram accounts has triggered a cataclysm in the world of low-grade social media celebrities. The event began today as the photo-sharing service made good on its promise to start deleting millions of fake accounts. The "Instagram Rapture," as it's come to be hashtagged, has seen the follower counts of apparently popular Instagrammers ravaged. Jenni Farley, maybe better known as Jersey Shore's JWoww, saw her followers drop from 2.6 million to 115,000, while rapper Ma$e committed Instagram's version of seppuku, deleting his account after freefalling from 1.6 million followers to around 100,000.

Some users have revelled in the spam massacre, suggesting that those who have seen the biggest drops are guilty of having purchased fake followers to boost their numbers, while others have railed against the crackdown, begging Instagram to bring the spam accounts back to reinflate their follower counts. Instagram told Business Insider that the users it was removing were either already deactivated spam accounts, or violated the service's guidelines.

There is a site that is charting this event lol

http://64px.com/instagram/

Fake street cred is still street cred :(

ohhhh i think ChiragChirag78 was just a demo car for this service.

http://www.twitterfollowers.fm/shop/buy-3-5-million-instagram-account-followers/

xbhaskarx

"while others have railed against the crackdown, begging Instagram to bring the spam accounts back to reinflate their follower counts"

LOL

Nachos

Part of me's hoping that somehow, one of these celebrities has their followers dwindle to a single person – their mom. It'd be like a matryoshka doll of embarrassment.

Jake.

this is hilarious, especially for those who paid tons of money for thousands of bots to follow them (commonly done by people wanting to be 'famous' online).

aly

I think its sad that people put so much of their worth in followers. My cousin lost about 100 today and was freaking out about it. You'd have thought she lost her job or something.

I think its sad that people put so much of their worth in followers. My cousin lost about 100 today and was freaking out about it. You'd have thought she lost her job or something.
Yeah, but what I don't get is, why do they care? I mean, they didn't really lose any followers because those people didn't really exist.

Why would the ask for fake accounts back? It's just stupid.

I imagine the people begging for their fake followers as the same kinds of people that surround themselves with dolls and talk to them. what's the practical difference?

I have a deep respect for chiragchirag's commitment to gaming the system. Wow.

I wonder how much it cost him.

Corgi

Banned
probably similar to why people hack steam achievements lol. They don't mean shit, but makes you feel... better? no clue

MuggerMD

Banned
Wait, what. Can someone explain this to an old person (32). Celebrities boosted their social media numbers, to look more popular? Were there third parties that provided the service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom