• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 will not have 4 player split screen play

New thread for new news?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/545000766969114625

3s6Gvz4.jpg

Can't even express in words how disappointing this is. I care about this far more than sprint and other gameplay changes, multiplayer halo has been always been a staple whenever my college friends and I get together. Even as most games last gen moved to 1-2 players at most, we could at least count on halo :(

Silky

Banned
End of an era.

Halo, even with 4, has always been the greatest in local shooter fun.

What's left now? CoD?

Splitscreen's been unplayable since Reach so it's no surprise. Can't imagine they'll maintain a stable framerate with 4 players.

Wonder if COD will keep 4 player split screen. Ghosts dropped it to two, not sure about Advanced Warfare.

Not really that surprising, I guess, considering Halo 4 split screen had terrible performance issues in different modes, and MCC split screen also has huge performance problems. It doesn't seem to have been a priority for them.

Crisium

Disgusting design choice. Terrible trend of modern gaming. From Killzone, to CoD, to Halo, no matter if you hate the game or not... all FPS should be 4 player split screen. And yet none of these games do it anymore (still hope for next CoD?). Standard since N64, imo. Just degrade the graphics... there is NEVER an excuse.

SSPssp

I'm keeping my pre-order for sure, (got in on the BestBuy B2G1) but I'm pretty disappointed with this. Local 4 player MP is my favorite thing about the series.

Sean

Banned
Not surprising imo since the game runs at 60fps now.

Has there ever been any 4 player split-screen games that ran at 60?

I'm genuinely curious about the percentage of players that use 4 player split screen in this day and age. Has to be minuscule. Note: I'm not defending the decision, but there has to come a time where it's not worth the resources of getting it to work.

jesu

343 Industries just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about 4 player split screen...

Ah forget it.

To be fair, 4 player split screen has kinda been bunk in Halo since Reach. The sacrifices made to framerate and world detail in Reach and 4 were way, way too much.

Silky

Banned
Disgusting design choice. Terrible trend of modern gaming. From Killzone, to CoD, to Halo, no matter if you hate the game or not... all FPS should be 4 player split screen. And yet none of these games do it anymore (still hope for next CoD?). Standard since N64, imo. Just degrade the graphics... there is NEVER an excuse.

Advanced Warfare is split-screen.

The game still has local MP, it's just 1v1 now.

maneil99

I'm genuinely curious about the percentage of players that use 4 player split screen in this day and age. Has to be minuscule. Note: I'm not defending the decision, but there has to come a time where it's not worth the resources of getting it to work.

Look at the MCC, almost every game has split screen players

213372bu

Banned
Y'know that shooter that is known for pretty great local multiplayer and is a common dorm game...

Yeah, I don't either.

StevieP

Banned
Don't worry guys. All modern aaa franchises have this feature and not just on xbox. If you want to play 4 players, just buy 3 additional copies of the game, 3 additional tvs, and 3 additional online subs.

Hatchtag

Banned
Halo MCC splitscreen was fun the whole one time it worked, but I guess I can't expect literally anything but disappointment from 343.

K-A-Deman

Splitscreen's been unplayable since Reach so it's no surprise. Can't imagine they'll maintain a stable framerate with 4 players.

Wait, what was the issue with Split-screen in Reach? my friend and i must've played through the campaign a few dozen times and never had any issues. Or was it online/split screen that had issues?

Top Bottom