• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best game of 2014 is looking to steal the 2015 crown (Divinity: Original Sin)

hemtae

This is probably a topic already but I didn't find anything when I searched. Anyways buried deep in the new Kickstarter update about the awards they've won we have this

All well and good, but where is my hardcore mode?

Rest assured that these accolades don't make us want to kick back and rest on our laurels: quite on the contrary! We realise all too well that Original Sin is a good, but not a flawless game and a lot of effort has gone into upgrading a multitude of the game's aspects like combat, pacing, UI and main story narration. And yes, work on the hardcore mode still continues and yes, same goes for the Linux version!

It will take us some time to implement all these changes and features, but in the meantime a patch with a whole host of other fixes should be ready for you somewhere in January.

Actually, there's still a ton of stuff to talk about, so for a full overview of what we're planning for Original Sin, future projects and Larian Studios itself, head over to Swen's blog and get the scoop!

There's also some tidbits in the kickstarter update video

From what I gleamed:
  • New enemy AI
  • More skills
  • Rebalanced economy
  • Overhaul writing with regards to story and companions
  • A multiplayer server requested by the Neverwinter Nights community

SparkTR

I;m really liking how they're capitalizing on the success of this game. Going from near bankruptcy to opening a second studio in Canada is great.

yuraya

Divinity OS will age really well. The mechanics n rpg elements of the game will still be great 5-10 years from now. I can see people playing it years from now just like how people are still playing Baldur's Gate today. So not really surprised that they are still working on it. Its an amazing game.

"What does this multiplayer server news mean? I'm not sure I understand the implications."

If it's anything like NWN, maybe they're adding the potential to have these (relatively large) pseudo-MMOs.

SteveWD40

What does this multiplayer server news mean? I'm not sure I understand the implications.

If they also launch mod tools it means endless replay-ability, assuming the community engage with it. NWN modders made whole campaigns and released them for free using the engine, some amazing storytelling and design.

Of course if it's just a MP server then, as said, more like a mini MMO.

hemtae

If they also launch mod tools it means endless replay-ability, assuming the community engage with it. NWN modders made whole campaigns and released them for free using the engine, some amazing storytelling and design.

Of course if it's just a MP server then, as said, more like a mini MMO.

They have released mod tools. Documentation was pretty bad on it last time I looked but it was released.

I haven't played in a while, but back then my biggest issue with the story is that I would miss it if I did not activated the conversation and my partner didn't give me a heads up. Then you have to discuss the next decisions in game and you don't know what the fuck is going on.

Seanspeed

Banned
Can this game be played on easy or is it very difficult and time consuming?
I'd say that until you're about level 10, the game on Normal is already 'hardcore mode'. Its tough.

But yea, there's an Easy mode, which I don't recommend. The challenging combat is one of the main highlights of the game, in my opinion.

The game is time-consuming though, sure. Its a somewhat long RPG. Will probably take you 75 hours+ to beat it. Time well spent. The game is brilliant.

Fantastic news. I'd assumed their focus on DOS had waned since release... I had no idea they were still actively working on patches and stuff.

DOS is more than just a great game, it's a modern-day classic.

Durante

I hope they don't expand too much, that has killed many a RPG company.

Anyway, at least the foundation they have in terms of engine is great, and Divinity: OS has proven beyond any doubt that they can design a great RPG.

Can this game be played on easy or is it very difficult and time consuming?
Well, it can, but then you miss the most important factor which makes it an instant classic -- perhaps the best turn-based RPG combat of all time.

I'd say that until you're about level 10, the game on Normal is already 'hardcore mode'. Its tough.

But yea, there's an Easy mode, which I don't recommend. The challenging combat is one of the main highlights of the game, in my opinion.

The game is time-consuming though, sure. Its a somewhat long RPG. Will probably take you 75 hours+ to beat it. Time well spent. The game is brilliant.
Is it good-75 hours or dragon Age Inquisition 75hrs of bullshit fetch quests?

5taquitos

I never finished my first play through, so maybe I'll just hold off until the next few patches drop and start over. I've absolutely loved what I've played, so starting over shouldn't be a big deal at all.

It's pretty good 75ish hours. There are a few gripes I have with the game but they're ultimately minor since the game looks great, has great combat, fantastic writing and plot and also most of the quests have their own unique story to tell. There aren't any "fetch" quests in this game.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It's nice to see devs supporting their game, however the thread title is an opinion and is not very informative.

epmode

I really can't wait for the combat tweaking. Original Sin already has my favorite turn based system ever but it unfortunately gets too easy to break about halfway through the game.

While I like the game a lot, Inquisition has a lot of busywork that just isn't present in Original Sin.

This is probably a topic already but I didn't find anything when I searched. Anyways buried deep in the new Kickstarter update about the awards they've won we have this

There's also some tidbits in the kickstarter update video

From what I gleamed:
  • New enemy AI
  • More skills
  • Rebalanced economy
  • Overhaul writing with regards to story and companions
  • A multiplayer server requested by the Neverwinter Nights community

Divinity was my 2014 GOTY but the competition is just WAY too strong in 2015 for me to think a re-release with some updates and such will steal any crowns.

I do much look forward to this though no doubt.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've been holding off on this just because of some bullshit "well I want to be conscientious with my money" bullshit but fuck it, I just found out I'm getting a huge raise and its the holidays, time to find out just what everyone was calling one of the best games of the year.

RK9039

Nice, will play again. They just keep making this game better and better.

A console port would be cool, more people should play this.

Uthred

Interested to see how they improve the pacing and the main story, the narrative elements of the game were by far the weakest part I thought. To the point where they were generally detrimental to my enjoyment. Always makes one feel good about KS'ing something though when you see great continued support like this.

Decado

I think they ultimately want to port divinity OS to consoles and are exploring the possibility.
If they do I wish them all the best, though I rather doubt it would do well. And I never want to see their RPGs designed with the console audience in mind. *shudders*

Top Bottom