• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix's Play Arts Kai Toyline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

l53XEjn.png

Some of you are already familiar with this toyline. Very popular, and sometimes polarizing thanks to a few if the toys designed by Mr. Divide himself, Tetsuya Nomura. Detailed and large, this toyline covers wide range of licenses, from CAPCOM, KONAMI and UBISOFT, to MARVEL and DC Comics. For the ones who collect, or are at the least curious about the figures, this thread is for you. I'll add to this thread over the next few hours.

Latest releases
-

Upcoming figures

- Star Wars Play Arts Kai Variant Figure - 11" Darth Vader
Price: $124.99/May 2015
- Predator Play Arts Kai Figure - 11" Predator
Price: $119.99/May 2015
- Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain: Play Arts Kai - 11" Skull Face
Price: $99.99/February 2015
Numerous others (MARVEL, Metal Gear Solid V, DC, and others on the way).

Where to order
- BBTS
-
---------------------------------------

I currently only have a few figures (had more, but had to sell alot of stuff lately). I have the SDCC Exclusive Gray Fox/Cyborg Ninja, and a Spartan Warrior from Halo 4.

Niiiiiice. I don't give two shits about Star Wars and even I think the Vader one would be awesome to have. If only I was still a collector of things...

Jaeger

Are people seriously going to pay over 100 bucks for this?

These used to be 40 bucks and they were just as good. They're too expensive now.

Not all of them are over $100. Some still retail for about $50 or so. Larger figures tend to be more expensive, naturally.

The Predator, Skull Face, and Joker ones look cool. Not really feeling Vader's design there, and Quiet's face looks so bad.

I thought they did a pretty good job.

Hagi

I can never trust prototype or show floor pictures of PAKs, their paint apps on human characters range from mediocre to fucking horrific stoneface monsters.

All their original stuff are over designed turds as well. Dear god that Vader is awful. If I was to purchase any it would be one or two from the metal gear line.

Jaeger

All their original stuff are over designed turds as well. Dear god that Vader is awful.

That is an opinion I wholeheartedly disagree with. I think Vader looks fucking incredible. The second I was able, I put an order on that. I actually don't understand that notion. All they did was make his cybernetic body look more like armor. There's nothing "overdesigned" about that at all.

Hagi

That is an opinion I wholeheartedly disagree with. I think Vader looks fucking incredible. The second I was able, I put an order on that.

Each to their own my friend. Everytime I look at their DC line i feel like Sadako is going to climb out my monitor and kill me.

big_z

swap the chest piece, belt buckle and head and vadar could easily be batman.
mr halo looks pretty shit as well. the bone structure in his legs is fucked.

Jaeger

Hard to tell from the angle of the photograph, but did they model Char's signature helmet horns onto Vader?

I can see how you see that. I see it too from that angle. A better look shows it's not raised.

Each to their own my friend. Everytime I look at their DC line i feel like Sadako is going to climb out my monitor and kill me.

swap the chest piece, belt buckle and head and vadar could easily be batman.

Fits right on in with everything else DC, and comic book artist have done.

Their original Predator design is hilarious.

I actually like that, too. Lol

Carbonox

I love that Vadar design. Their Predator is pretty cool too. Then you scroll down to the MGS5 stuff and I can't help but laugh.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not a fan... I hate the scale that they use, most of their figures don't work well with my other stuff because nothing is in scale with them.

And couple that with some really wonky design choices on almost every figure they make... some of them are downright ugly and others are so crazy you can't help but laugh at how silly they look.

Not faulting them for trying to create something of quality, because they do seem to put a lot of effort into what they make. It's just a shame they aren't doing a better job at making them something I want to own.

Platy

They own designs are all over the place.

And wtf at Quiet's body ... did they ever saw how breasts works on a human being ?

Jaeger

It's just a shame they aren't doing a better job at making them something I want to own.

Can't please everyone. These don't seem to be aimed at the masses (with their odd scale, and alternate takes on characters, it's the only thing that makes sense). I think there are more than enough point by point accurate figures out there, and there is more than enough room for toys that do alternate takes, or "Elseworld/What-If?" on existing characters and franchises.

These are Japanese designed. Some of the Variant Kai figures look straight out of a manga/anime, which seems to be the point. Right down to the proportions (usually appearing more muscular), and detailing. It's like Masami Obari was tasked with designing these.

Jaeger

Tacky, over-designed waste of plastic.

There goes that word again. I'm starting to think some of you don't know what that means.

Looks like $15 figures

Alot of figures can objectively look bad in certain lighting.

They certainly are priced at a premium.

There are way more expensive, actually bad figures out there. The ones I have feel strong, are very posable, and the paint looks fantastic. Like my Rouge Cyborg Ninja;

Same figure, not my image. Random trivia, but this figure was the base for the new model he received in Metal Gear Rising.

I like to buy things that I actually could use instead of sitting there looking nice. If I bought these I probably would play with them.

Bombless

PAKs are too expensive for what they are. There are some good pieces out there but their QA is terrible for the prices they ask.

I got the Wonder Woman and Harlock/Kei pair. WW had paint scratches and some articulation issues, Harlock was fine and Kei came with a broken foot. Her box was untouched, the package was impeccable, it's just her foot ball that was shattered and packed that way.

Shifting to Kai brought their standards down, in my opinion. Then again, to be honest I used to think the KH figures were great until I looked back at them (the Kai line looks a little better).

They do armoured figured really well. Humanoid/more flesh figures are generally awful, however (Cammy, Sakura...almost entire SF line was ugly).

Batman Variant was nice, though as far their modern figures go.

these had some appeal when they were going for like 40-50 bucks but paying over 100 bucks for these is insane. You can get a Hot Toys for the price of 2 of these figures. If i can find Predator for a good sale price I may pick him up though

Buff Darth Vader is so weird to me.

Not all of them are over $100. Some still retail for about $50 or so. Larger figures tend to be more expensive, naturally.

I thought they did a pretty good job.

Holy shit, her breasts. I'm speechless.

These all look off. Master Chief looks way too slim/nimble.

johnsmith

remember me
Their shipping is expensive, I'm wondering what the draw is, can they hold items for like 6 months and bulk ship to me?

Their shipping prices are standard for Japanese shops. Their preorder prices are usually the cheapest, and they have a good selection of preowned items that includes older figures that can be hard to find, usually for much cheaper than eBay. They can group orders by month, but not longer than that.

Even with the shipping cost most things will end up cheaper than paying the jacked up prices on big bad toy store and other US shops. Shipping is pretty ridiculous on most US shops anyway. Only amazon offers free shipping.

I have 3/5 of the Mass Effect line, no Ashley and no FemShep. Garrus and Tali are really good. MaleShep's face is really bad

not my images, but the first two results from google images:

fL8o6QL.jpg

Cuw4Pls.jpg

I've sworn off PAK figures. I want to like them but damn. Shep's armor and weapons are great! The face totally kills it though

Jaeger

these had some appeal when they were going for like 40-50 bucks but paying over 100 bucks for these is insane. You can get a Hot Toys for the price of 2 of these figures. If i can find Predator for a good sale price I may pick him up though

What Hot Toys figures are you looking at? Those especially Preds usually sale for 100+ and well beyond on the aftermarket.

the other problem with play arts kai is they are in an odd scale and don't go well with other figures. bandai's Sh figuarts line, and Good smiles figma line are in similar scales, so they work well together. PAKs are just a werid size

Shadow780

Their shipping prices are standard for Japanese shops. Their preorder prices are usually the cheapest, and they have a good selection of preowned items that includes older figures that can be hard to find, usually for much cheaper than eBay. They can group orders by month, but not longer than that.

Even with the shipping cost most things will end up cheaper than paying the jacked up prices on big bad toy store and other US shops. Shipping is pretty ridiculous on most US shops anyway. Only amazon offers free shipping.

Thanks, do they ever re-stock out-of-stock items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom