• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else not care much for franchise games in general?

Phediuk

I mean, I know sequels, remakes, etc. are the bread and butter of the industry, but I find myself burning out on "franchise games" really easily. For example, Uncharted 2 was my GOTY for 2009, but I got bored of Uncharted 3 really fast because I felt like I'd played it already. Really liked Mass Effect 2; had little interest in Mass Effect 3. Liked Zelda: Ocarina of Time, got bored really quick in all the later games. Liked Walking Dead season 1, couldn't care less about season 2. The only exceptions I can think of are either with franchises that have a very long gap between sequels (e.g. XCOM, and even then I didn't play the expansion) or drastically change everything to the point where they're barely recognizable (e.g. Resident Evil 4.)

I just want to check if this is a common sentiment or not. I know franchise fatigue is common, but most discussions I've seen are around annual franchises with 10+ games. My experience is that I often get tired of a franchise by the second time and virtually always by the third time I play it.

I want original games. Developers should get out of their comfort zone. No point in playing something that has already been done before.

gelf

I can certainly get too much of a good thing and need something different eventually no matter how good a series is. Not necessarily after the first game but after the 2nd or 3rd installment I'll probably want a long break from the series especially if they came out with little gap between them.

Its kinda depressing to me sometimes to see good developers locked into just making endless sequels rather then trying something new. A problem even greater in these days of high budgets making publishers risk adverse.

samwizered

While I do feel that the industry pumps out far too many sequels, remakes, and rehashed versions of the same game repeatedly, I think there is a place for sequels. They're a great opportunity to improve and expand upon the previous games.

As for big franchises with annual entries like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, I do get pretty tired of seeing those.

QaaQer

It seems all of aaa retail gaming is converging into a single franchise for a certain sub-set of 13-34 y.o. males.

weekev

Banned
I think its too much of a generalisation to say you dont like all franchise games because of fatugue and makes you look like a bit of a hipster tbh.

If games are good Ill buy them, if they suck I wont eg bought AC Black Flag because I liked the concept and the look of the pirate type stuff, but I refuse to get Unity because it looks like a buggy mess.

Uncharted, Zelda, Mario I will buy every iteration because I love every 1.

Atomski

Not franchises but I just don't have any interest in yearly or even biyearly releases.

All the franchises that do that I just ignore.

They typically don't add much and suffer due to being so rushed.

Over many years of irrational disappointment I have been inured to the lure of Intellectual Properties in general, so franchises have no appeal to me.

The only thing that matters to me in this regard is the quality of the portfolio of the developer. For instance, I don't care about Mega Man as a franchise, but I enjoyed the games made by IntiCreates enough to have interest in Mighty No 9 with absolutely no concern for whether it is really Mega Man or not.

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy back when it was nearly every 1 or 2 years, because the games were individually good and not because of any sense of devotion to the franchise.

Randam

no, I could play the same game with a new story till I die.

i.e. more resident evil games just like 1, 2 and 3? give it to me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll play games from certain franchises religiously - Ys, Dragon Quest, etc.

But I will just ignore those from franchises I don't like and I just groan whenever like a new Assassin's Creed gets announced for instance.

I feel it, OP.

I put down the new Smash Bros in record time. I have played this many times before, and the new stuff it's doing is too wacky and chaotic.

Over all, I'm put off by sequels these days, and I really dislike how every new thing to come out openly assumes itself to be a franchise.

SerTapTap

Eh not especially. I only dislike franchises when...well it's a franchise I don't like. Then I'm annoyed they keep making it instead of something I prefer or when a company overly focuses on a single/few franchises (Capcom and Konami, ahem).

In theory that's a "problem" that would be "solved" by not having franchises, but a lot of games I'd love to see made are sequels/evolutions of games who's franchise didn't continue, so I can't really say I dislike the concept of franchises. And it's not like if Activision stopped making Call of Duty they'd suddenly make a ton of super innovative stuff, they'd just continue to safely iterate and call it something different.

I love original games and IPs, but at the same time I love getting excited and playing the the next release in my favourite franchises. So yes, I guess I do care for franchise games.

Nasreddin

I play games for new and fresh experiences. So most games I buy are not part of a franchise.

It is also the reason, why I play only few AAA games.

There aren't many franchises that I am dedicated to to the point that I buy every new game on launch day. The few that I am for are mostly by Nintendo.

For other major franchises, I may cherry pick one or two well-received installments and wait for a Steam sale to buy them.

IzzyF3

It really is too bad that so much of games are dependent on the business side of things. Otherwise, big budget games can take as much risk as small studio games. That said, I'll probably never stop buying Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Zelda, Metal Gear, Uncharted, and so many other franchises.

BibiMaghoo

Some of them don't disappoint me, and that means I want more of them. Some are all over the place in terms of quality, and so I pick them up based on each. Some are toilet grime, and so are never bought again.

It depends on the franchise, but I would have to say I like them more than not.

As long as they are good games I couldn't care less.

What I dislike is when publishers get a new IP stumbling out of the door which they designed to become a big franchise and then the thing bombs after setting up the sequel already or even worse it ends on a cliffhanger just to never get a followup.

gelf

no, I could play the same game with a new story till I die.

i.e. more resident evil games just like 1, 2 and 3? give it to me.

That reminds me, back when I finished RE0 I felt like I was finished with that gameplay. It had been overdone and I wanted a change. RE4 was a nice diversion from the standard at the time. Now however I would love a return to that old RE gameplay as its gone from over-saturated to never used at all and would be fresh again at this point.

Some things just need to take a break before they get tiresome. Yearly updates are often detrimental as are new franchises which are just "me too" in terms of mechanics.

I care if the games are good or not. Assassin's Creed games don't interest me outside of the settings, but I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to Sonic games, go figure.

I see where you're coming from, but I also don't like any of the series you mentioned OP. But if a series is good I'll play every entry I can get my hands on.

I don't mind franchise games, but for the most part I buy like 1 in every 3 or 4 instead of every year. For example, I bought AC Unity this year which is my first AC game since the first one.

The only real exception to that is Nintendo stuff since they usually have a good amount of time between major releases, and each sequel is usually different enough from the previous game.

vivekTO

Going from farcry 2 to farcry 3 is completely different.The change in environment and gameplay is refreshing . But playing Farcry 4 i felt like "been there done that".

I have also played Ezio's trilogy, never completed AC3 but again liked the black flag.
The thing is either a franchise should pursue a single Storyline expanding through different games or completely overhaul the gameplay and environment.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got bored of Uncharted 3 but I don't think that is because it was so similar to 2. It just felt rushed and stuck together with tape. Maybe that was partly because I was so familiar with the basic mechanics that everything stuck out like a sore thumb though? Hmm.

I mean, I know sequels, remakes, etc. are the bread and butter of the industry, but I find myself burning out on "franchise games" really easily. For example, Uncharted 2 was my GOTY for 2009, but I got bored of Uncharted 3 really fast because I felt like I'd played it already. Really liked Mass Effect 2; had little interest in Mass Effect 3. Liked Zelda: Ocarina of Time, got bored really quick in all the later games. Liked Walking Dead season 1, couldn't care less about season 2. The only exceptions I can think of are either with franchises that have a very long gap between sequels (e.g. XCOM, and even then I didn't play the expansion) or drastically change everything to the point where they're barely recognizable (e.g. Resident Evil 4.)

I just want to check if this is a common sentiment or not. I know franchise fatigue is common, but most discussions I've seen are around annual franchises with 10+ games. My experience is that I often get tired of a franchise by the second time and virtually always by the third time I play it.
yes. lately, i've been feeling this way about Me3.

Bad generalization. Games of the same franchise can be vastly different from each other.

You mentioned the Zelda franchise which is a perfect example against your point, every main episode looks and feels different from each other.

Top Bottom