• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SHOCK*: FIFA 15 is highest-selling game of 2014 in UK, but outsold by Frozen

MCV said:
The Entertainment Retailer’s Association has once again revealed the 20 best selling video games, movies and albums of 2014 in the UK.

And not a single parent will be surprised to discover that Disney’s Frozen tops the list. That movie sold a staggering 4.012m copies last year, which is 1.34m ahead of its nearest rival.

And that nearest rival? Well that was FIFA 15. EA’s soccer title is now firmly established as the UK’s biggest video game, it sold 2.663m copies last year, well ahead of third placed Call of Duty: Advance Warfare which sold a still impressive 1.837m units.

In total, there were five video games in the charts. Grand Theft Auto V managed sixth place in its second year in the chart, shifting 1.34m copies. And then there’s the two big new IPs. Destiny at No.14 with 937,235 games sold and Watch Dogs at No.18 with 728,683 units shifted.

All of these sales are based purely on physical unit sales sold through retail. We would imagine a number of digital games (Clash of Clans, Flappy Bird and, of course, Minecraft) would have made this list, if only we had a means to accurately track their sales.

Link

It's worth noting that Destiny was outsold by Mrs Brown: The Movie. And to anyone who lives outside the UK or Republic of Ireland and as a result never have BBC One or RTE One, just pretend I never mentioned Mrs Brown and be on your merry way.

Slightly OT: HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE FUTURE, AMERICA.

Frozen ha everlasting impact
It honestly is such a good movie. Killer songs, great moral (an act of true love doesn't have to be a handsome prince that you met 6 minutes ago), excellent animation.

Dsyndrome

I've had to put up with Frozen since the holidays started. My nieces both got Frozen karaoke machines and sing Let It Go nonstop.

Glad I don't know what Mrs. Brown is.

I watched lion king today for the first time in years. For me it easily tops frozen. Shame Disney got out of the old school animation.

Man, nothing stops the Frozen hype train does it? It's well deserved though, it's a great movie.

I love Mrs Brown, can't wait for tomorrow.

NE4UM9m.gif

Rodelero

I've had to put up with Frozen since the holidays started. My nieces both got Frozen karaoke machines and sing Let It Go nonstop.

Glad I don't know what Mrs. Brown is.

Trust me, if you knew who Mrs. Brown was, you'd be singing Let It Go nonstop too.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
No wonder we have a reputation for terrible taste...
Seriously, for the sake of your sanity, do not look up Mrs Brown....
I'm sorry, world.

And to anyone who lives outside the UK or Republic of Ireland and as a result never have BBC One or RTE One, just pretend I never mentioned Mrs Brown and be on your merry way.

What about those of us in the UK and RoI that want to pretend you never mentioned Mrs. Brown?

And interesting to see Destiny so high. It's clearly sold well, Activision have said it's profitable already and yet still nothing solid on what it shipped/ sold through. All the talk of $500 million budgets and needing 15 million to break even must be making them reluctant to share.

BigDes

Ah yes Mrs Brown, for those people in 2014 who still believe that a man dressed as a woman is the height of comedy

Penguin

What is this, Mrs. Brown?
Now I'm really curious

Also really good for GoTG... that has to be only like a month or so of sales?

LAM09

Er no it isnt :S

At least not UK, its always after FIFA (November ish time)

Check the release dates, and come back to me. PES 2013 came out on 21st September, and FIFA 13 came out on 28th September. ;)

I live in the UK as well, BTW.

Frozen ha everlasting impact
It honestly is such a good movie. Killer songs, great moral (an act of true love doesn't have to be a handsome prince that you met 6 minutes ago), excellent animation.

I thought it was meh:

- most songs are good but the end of 'Let it go' makes my ear burn. Its so screamy and without any grace.
- the decors and colors are so monotone, I know its all snowy and stiff but I still think they could have added more color variety
- maybe i'm old and grumpy but is that 'aft of true love from her sister' so revolutionary?

I a tually thought Big hero 6 was much better

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
1390278965437.gif

Nothing stops this train!
^
Is Fifa super popular? I don't play sports games so I wouldn't know. ._.

Steroyd

PES deserved to sell more than fifa this year :(

Pes couldn't outsell Fifa in it's heyday on the PS2, only chip at FIFA's marketshare year on year, that said it used to stay in the charts for a whole year, the game pretty much dissapeared from the UK charts after a month. :(

This is the first time PES has been released after FIFA in the last two years (maybe three).

I think it was the whole PS360 generation, Fifa used to release one week after PES in October, but EA went "fuck it" and started shipping the game in September and never looked back.

Massa

Fifa 15 is the worst of the last 4 years, isn't it? Or is it just me?

I disagree, having a blast with the game. One of these days I shall win the division 1 title in seasons.

There are a few things that need adjustment though. The default settings disable auto move assistance, which makes it pretty easy for your opponent to score on you with through balls. Of all the assistance types to disable this should not have been one, EA screwed it up here.

Also the default tactics for most teams is also way too offensive, which you can fix by setting a couple of your midfielders and your wing men to never attack (this way they'll only attack when you're controlling them and do so).

Also worth noting that this game tends to give you control of the defender between the attacker and your goal, which often leads to 1-on-1 situations (as you know, that's not a good outlook for the defense). Try to switch your controlled player to avoid situations like this, leaving the last defender under CPU control as the backup.

So yeah. Change settings, change tactics and make sure to always switch your controlled player to avoid 1-on-1 situations. Oh, and one final tip (this goes for every football game): try to use the run button as little as possible.

Top Bottom