• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015: The Year of the JRPG

It's just dawned on me: 2015 is scheduled to be absolutely nuts for lovers of JRPGs.

P5Title.jpg

Persona 5 (PS3/PS4) - After 7 years, the sequel to what many consider to be one of the best JRPGs out there is finally coming out.

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) - The sequel to what pretty much everyone thought was the best Wii JRPG is finally coming out.

Trails-in-the-Sky-SC.jpg

Trails in the Sky SC (PC, PSP) - The sequel to what many consider to be the best PSP JRPG out there is finally coming out. Find out what happened after FC's cliffhanger ending!

Sen-no-Kiseki.jpg

Trails of Cold Steel (aka Sen no Kiseki) - XSeed just registered this name. Could we be seeing a Trails SC release in the first half of the year & a Trails of Cold Steel in the second half?

Bravely-Second.jpg

Bravely Second (3DS) - The sequel to one of the best 3DS JRPGs out there. Basically a new Final Fantasy V with an intriguing battle system.

Final Fantasy: Type-0 (Not on the Vita) - It took a few years, but Type-0 is finally coming out, albeit not on the system everyone was asking for.

Atelier Shallie (PS3) - Another installment in the ever-fun alchemy/RPG series.

Tales of Zestiria (PS3) - Another year, another great Action/RPG Tales game.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon (3DS) - Etrian Odyssey crossed with a roguelike!

EOU2.png

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 (3DS) - Remake of EO2 with a story mode (hasn't been confirmed yet but every other EO game has come out here).

Disgaea_5_screenshot.jpg

Disgaea 5 (PS4) - NISA's flagship Strategy/RPG series, exclusively on the PS4.

Devil Survivor 2 remake (3DS) - Apparently adds an expansion pack worth of new content after the original ending.

Oreshika (Vita) - A family of heroes cursed with tiny lifespans!

Operation-Abyss.jpg

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Vita) - New dungeon crawler from the creators of Demon Gaze & Stranger of Sword City. NISA early 2015 release.

Brandish.jpg

Brandish (PSP) - Action/Dungeon-crawler from Falcom & XSeed Games.

Some other games that are scheduled to come out in 2015 include Code Name S.T.E.A.M., some Neptunia games, maybe Digimon, and several indie games!

And a whole lot more! 2015 is going to be amazing!

Yep! I hope Citizens of Earth is good.
And I can't wait for Cosmic Star Heroine.
Jrpgs..my bad but they are still good RPG. :D

You forgot Ys8
And what's this trails of cold steel? Sora no kiseki 3? It won't be worth much if they can't localize zero and ao,though.

I'm getting:
Trails SC
Tales
trails of cold steel
Etryeen odyssey

The Persona series sucks ,I love monolith but XB was average at best, and Square,Nippon Ichi and Gust couldn't make a good RPG if their life depended on it.

Maaaaaybeeeeeeee FF XV???

It says 2015 in the title,not 3015.

ohlawd

getting

Persona 5
Xenoblade Chronicles X
TitS Second Chapter
Bravely Second
Atelier Shallie
Tales of Zestiria (on sale tho cuz lolbamco)
Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker

life's good

EhoaVash

.. Mark my words

Smt x FE will be at E3

Xenoblade c x will be day 1 for me

Skipping the rest unless persona 5 is a good dating sim

JNA

Banned
Getting ALL the JRPGs! :D Well...Persona 5 I know for a fact.

I wish we were getting a new Fire Emblem.

Don't forget Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem!
I still believe...

Also, I don't think Disgaea 5 is releasing next year on the PS5.

UberTag

Amazing OP. Plenty of Trails and no unrealistic expectations of FFXV arriving anywhere this year. I wholeheartedly approve!
(Still too many brainwashed folks out there thinking it's the only JRPG that's relevant.)

Falk

that puzzling face
I find your list a bit confusing, as it lists both Japanese-only (as far as confirmations goes e.g. Bravely Second) along with localizations (Shallie)

Totally agree though. Glad to see a mini-renaissance of sorts considering how bad 3 of the past 5 years have been.

It kind of sucks that the genre is so spread out like this. The thing that made 2014 Year of the WRPG so awesome is that you could buy all of the games on one platform (PC) or most on other platforms. With JRPGs you have to own at least three platforms to even get the majority of the games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It kind of sucks that the genre is so spread out like this. The thing that made 2014 Year of the WRPG so awesome is that you could buy all of the games on one platform (PC) or most on other platforms. With JRPGs you have to own at least three platforms to even get the majority of the games.

JRPG devs need to step it up on PC. We are waiting for them to take our money.

Necroth

Neo Member
Brandish: The Dark Revenant is releasing on PSP and (hopefully) Vita soon. Looks like it's going to be awesome.

I wish they would make more of these for next gen systems. As much as I want to play the Tales games, I have no interest in starting up my PS3.

SerTapTap

So hype for Disgaea and Xenoblade chronicles X. Interested but not optimistic about FFXV. Going to be a great year regardless.

Added Oreshika to the list (can't believe I forgot that one).

Didn't add Ys 8 since I don't think the English version will be 2015.

I know EOU2 & Bravely Second aren't officially announced for US release yet but I think both are likely enough that they're worth including.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Persona 5
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 2 PS4
Zestiria
Type 0
Disgaea 5
Shallie
Final Fantasy X/X2 Remaster(sigh, I KNOW)

Y's(?)

WE IN THERE!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I so so hope that level 5 has some major news this year. I really missed them since I played Ni no Kuni in 2011 and sadly I fell off the Layton love train after the DS games.

But yeah seems like a great year, I skipped the Xillia games based on the feedback that I got from friends that have been into Tales in a major way for a really long time.
But I'm really ready for another one of these. Vesperia PS3 has been my personal highlight for now but the others I've played have been fun as well.

Also PERSONA5!!! Seriously how is it that we haven't seen jack shit about that game yet >.< . I'm probably to accustomed to how the west markets its games.

BluWacky

Surely Trails of Cold Steel is Sen no Kiseki, not Sora? The "sen" kanji is used for brandishing a sword, so that would make sense, and we've already got Trails in the Sky for Sora.

Alternatively I guess they could just be making up subtitles now - I mean "Trails of Nothing" and "Blue Trails" aren't exactly exciting titles for an English marketplace :p

TheMoon

If we include SRPGs then I'm shocked to see Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. glossed over yet again. This will be 2015's best game nobody played.

Zhao_Yun

If Dungeon Crawlers like Etrian Odyssey 2 count we should probably count Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy as well?

Surely Trails of Cold Steel is Sen no Kiseki, not Sora? The "sen" kanji is used for brandishing a sword, so that would make sense, and we've already got Trails in the Sky for Sora.

Alternatively I guess they could just be making up subtitles now - I mean "Trails of Nothing" and "Blue Trails" aren't exactly exciting titles for an English marketplace :p

I wrote Sora but I meant Sen (and included a shot from Sen). We already have Sora no Kiseki (Trails in the Sky).

Top Bottom