• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Touch My Katamari (from a long time Katamari fan)

sn00zer

tumblr_mk4m06InEf1rt8i4vo1_400.gif
If you start a Katamari game make self referential jokes about how phoned in the last few games were then follow that with an intro level featuring a Katamari fan who has forgotten the game he once loved, you better deliver on a game that is original and is something the fans will like. WHAT YOU DONT DO IS PHONE THE GAME IN AND YOU ESPECIALLY DONT THROW MICROTRANSACTIONS INTO A FUCKING KATAMARI GAME JEEZUS H CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Imagine the original PS2 games. Okay now take those exact same levels but make sure you only take like idk...ONE TOWN FROM THEM...and I mean literally the town...dont include any of the world based levels...well you should include them but make sure they are around a quarter of the size of the originals.....then make sure you include maybe idk 20 new items. .... and Then have a total of something like ....10 levels including twists on fan favorites such as.... cowbear and roomcleanup...PEOPLE FUCKING LOVE COWEAR DONT YOU REMEMBER EVERYONE SAYING HOW MUCH THEY LOVE FUCKING COWBEAR HOW UNFRUSTRATING AND FUN COWBEAR WAS YAH PUT THAT ONE IN THAT ONE EVERYONE LOVED JEEZUS CHRIST....

Oh and make sure you use a shit ton of polygons to smooth out the prince...I want you to making him so fucking smooth that it sucks up enough polygons that it shrinks all the levels and introduces a shit ton of pop in ....and then cram...AND I MEAN CRAM...a shit ton of cosmetic items and some goddamn awful currency system.... AND THEN THROW IN A MICRO TRANSACTION SYSTEM ABOUT GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT INSTEAD OF I DONT KNOW MAYBE A FUCKING UNLOCK SYSTEM THAT ISNT BASED ON SOME STUPID ASS CURRENCY SYSTEM...

Final thoughts:
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU.... FUCK! YOU COULDA JUST PORTED WE <3 KATAMARI AND CALLED IT A DAY, BUT NOOOOOOOOO YOU HAD TO MAKE A HYPOTHETICAL THIRD PS2 GAME THAT WAS JUST A WORSE VERSION OF THE FIRST TWO WITH A HUGE HEAPING OF BULLSHIT ON TOP.... GOD DAMMIT...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

4/10
The writing and art style was still pretty fun and spot on with new wrinkles...and the stretch mechanic was a little interesting...and its classic Katamari...just a worse version of it...go buy Katamari Forever on PS3 if youve never played the series

Garraboa

TBF, you could exploit the game by giving you free currency and not pay a dime for those levels. But yeah, it was damn annoying to that just to circumvent their stupid DLC currency.

sn00zer

Don't worry. They can never take the first two games away from us.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I thought Katamari Forever was a great twist on the standard HD collections, and is the perfect place for people who have never played the games to get a damn solid Katamari experience....that said, We <3 Katamari is my favorite with PS3 and original on the same tier of likeableness
I AM IRATE

sn00zer

The actually ruined the way the King looks, too, which is just, like, the worst thing ever.

GOD IT WAS SO FUCKING TERRIBLE JEEZUS
It was fine, but there was something seriously off with the lighting making his face super dark compared to earlier games, making it hard to see sometimes....I liked the super awkward mocapped animations....but they really emphasized his bulge for some reason...it was a funny thing in the first few games, but they made it too overt...the Kings personality was still intact though...he was a bit nicer, but just as vain

I AM IRATE

You should be. Everyone should be. Touch My Katamari was that bad of a game. Not mechanically, but what they did to Katamari itself, from grinding for currency to tiny levels that never get bigger to how much they pandered to what they thought the humor of the series was. But even with all of that the series still had 2 amazing games that did everything the series really needed, and they can't be taken away no matter how bad the games got.

HUELEN10

At least beautiful Katamari, the best game in the series hands-down, still is able to be played. We need more entries like that.

So, the PSP version is still the best handheld version?

Glad I looked into this topic, was considering getting Touch my Katamari as I got a Vita recently.

sn00zer

Honestly, the first two and Beautiful Katamari are the only ones worth playing.

AHHHH SO TRUE SO TRUE
Forever (PS3) is fine if you dont have a PS2/360 available...its a good primer on the series and covers all the gameplay mechanics...

Zubz

Banned
Honestly, the first two and Beautiful Katamari are the only ones worth playing.

I still feel Forever's worth playing in its own right. Even if it is a compilation of stuff from all 3 games, it packs them together beautifully, IMO.

sn00zer

I still feel Forever's worth playing in its own right. Even if it is a compilation of stuff from all 3 games, it packs them together beautifully, IMO.

I was going to reply to this with an image I found using google search of "yup"...turns out image searching "yup" has very strange unnerving results

I don't know if it was because I went into it with expectations based on the 360/psp games (ie low) but I really liked the thing.

I liked the otaku cartoon too.

Flipyap

Glad I looked into this topic, was considering getting Touch my Katamari as I got a Vita recently.
No way. The Vita version controls perfectly and the stretchable katamari is the first good addition to the series since... I think it might be the only mechanic they've added that actually fits and improves the game.
It has the same flaws as every post-We-<3-Katamari sequel - there's just no reason there should ever be so few stages in these games and figuring out which stage is which is just as complicated as it's ever been, but it's a solid Katamari game.

The actually ruined the way the King looks, too, which is just, like, the worst thing ever.
This is factually incorrect.
I wasn't fond of his 3Dness at first, but I've come around to it because without turning him polygonal, we would never get his fabulous new outfits and wildly sensual dances.
Plus, the king's model is strategically centered and zooming in without touching the camera gives you this:
If that's not game design perfection, then I don't know what is.

Touch My Katamari is just fine. And I do mean, fiiine.

bobawesome

The giraffe accessory is still my favorite part of that game. I should really redownload it so I can have it again. ;_;

Epcott

I read this review in a Chris Farley "Down by the river " voice.

I enjoyed the game, IMO. Music was pretty good too. I do wish it was a bit longer though.

Pyccko

Eh, I liked it, but it was definitely missing that something that made the Keita Takahashi ones so special, just like others. Overall it was still a good time, though getting that last hat is a huge chore. Cuh-rist.

I was going to reply to this with an image I found using google search of "yup"...turns out image searching "yup" has very strange unnerving results

what the fuuuuuuuuck

It was my very first Katamari so I loved it to bits. So much that after beating it I went to Amazon and ordered Katamari Forever.

If anything TMK ruined Forever for me because the former had the option of playing twin sticks as a regular modern third person game (left stick Fw/BW and strafe and right stick to turn), which was the way I played it and with Forever THERES no such option. The twin stick traditional Katamari way is too archaic and backwards for me.

Shinriji

Lol, no. Touch my Katamari is good, but short. And griding for the DLC extra levels is somewhat aggravating.

Stretching is the much-needed evolution of the Katamari gameplay that beautiful and forever lacks.

SerTapTap

Eh, it wasn't THAT awful, it's just not a deviation from the "reuse levels from old Katamari games" thing while not being nearly as comprehensive as the PS3 one. As far as KAtamari On The Go is concerned it's alright, but it's no full-fledged Katamari game. Not that there are many of those.

Paskil

This was actually my introduction to Katamari. It had flown under my radar prior to picking it up on Vita. Well, not really true, I remember the unusual magazine ads and I think television ads, at some point, years ago. I'm glad it wasn't a huge let down for me. However, after circling back around and playing some of the other entries, I totally see your point, and agree, OP. That said, the time I spent with it, I still enjoyed. Since then, I have now added previous iterations to my collection. I will never play the Vita version again.

Eh, it wasn't THAT awful, it's just not a deviation from the "reuse levels from old Katamari games" thing while not being nearly as comprehensive as the PS3 one. As far as KAtamari On The Go is concerned it's alright, but it's no full-fledged Katamari game. Not that there are many of those.

Pretty much my thoughts. Touch My Katamari's biggest problem to me is that it doesn't have very much content and it's all retreads of stuff we've played before. But it's not a bad Katamari game besides that, just like Katamari Forever is a great Katamari game if you think of it like a greatest hits package rather than a fresh entry (which we'll never get because the true mastermind, Keita Takahashi, has long since departed).

Pretty much my thoughts. Touch My Katamari's biggest problem to me is that it doesn't have very much content and it's all retreads of stuff we've played before. But it's not a bad Katamari game besides that, just like Katamari Forever is a great Katamari game if you think of it like a greatest hits package rather than a fresh entry (which we'll never get because the true mastermind, Keita Takahashi, has long since departed).

We are getting wattam on ps4 Keita Takahashi and his fork!

sn00zer

WHY THE FUCK ARE ALL THE NEW LEVELS BLOCKED BY DLC?! HEY GUYS I FOUND THE MISSING PART OF THE GAME! TURNS OUT THEY DID DO SOME ORIGINAL STUFF THEY JUST PUT IT BEHIND A GRIND/PAY WALL. JEEZUS H WHAT THE HELL NAMCO

maxcriden

That bad, huh? Sorry to hear it, sn00zer. I recently picked up the two PS2 games so I'll be eager to check those out for the first time.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So Beautiful Katamari is good? I loved the PS2 games and also have Forever on PS3 (it's okay) but didn't get to try BK back in the day. Just got a 360 this week so LEMME KNOW

Pizza

So Beautiful Katamari is good? I loved the PS2 games and also have Forever on PS3 (it's okay) but didn't get to try BK back in the day. Just got a 360 this week so LEMME KNOW

I thought it was a fart, tbh, it just seemed soulless compared to We <3 Katamari, but it's been a very long time since I've touched it

I started playing this recently because it's the only Vita game I have that will fit on the internal memory. It was a little disappointing but I kept playing in the hopes that it would get better. The currency system is silly sure but it isn't necessary is it? The microtransactions were disgusting but I didn't know what price point this game started at.

The squash and stretch didn't really appeal to me but the jump was a neat addition. To change the form of a Katamari is basically heresy.

I can't knock the presentation. It has all the fun of the originals.

Top Bottom