• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin has sold over 200k copies on Steam

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Copy bump.

Edit:

Since some people are asking, here's how the recent Ys games have done in Japan (first week/LTD), though obviously at a higher average selling price:

Code:
[Vita] Ys: Memories of Celceta: 38,806/55,734

[PSP] Ys Seven: 42,816/70,583
[PSP] Ys Seven [PSP the Best]: - /9,889

[PSP] Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga: 40,036/54,135

[PSP] Ys: Oath of Felghana: 20,717/37,244

[PSP] Ys I & II: Chronicles: 20,240/32,997

[PSP] Ys I & II / Ys Seven Set: -  /4,259
[PSP] Ys Super Price Set [Ys Seven / Ys I & II: Chronicles / Ys: Oath of Felghana]:   -  /3,381

Media Create had a couple of updated figures for that:

547. [PSV] Ys: Memories of Celceta # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2012.09.27} (¥7.140) - 8.177 - 67.323

748. [PSV] Ys: Memories of Celceta (PlayStation Vita the Best) <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2013.10.10} (¥3.990) - 4.574 / 4.574

Edit 2:

And in Japan on PC courtesy of Bruno MB:

[PC] Ys Origins (Nihon Falcom) {2006.12.21} (¥7.980) - 21.961 / 28.298

First number is its first month sales. PC charts are monthly.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

BasilZero

That's fantastic.

I am one of the people who has the game and hope to see more!

Really enjoyed it when I played it!

Durante

I think that's a very respectable number for what is essentially a 2006 game released in 2012, in a somewhat niche genre.

That said, the given reason not to release it in Japan seems a bit silly. I mean, how much can it cost to do so?

Aeana

2,000 copies? Of Ys? In Japan? Bullshit.

It would sell way better than that. It really is time to stop with the "Japan doesn't play PC" stigma.

You know Falcom used to be a PC exclusive developer, right? And they stopped doing that because of poor sales.

It's very high for the series, though.

Yeah, but it's been a two and a half year long road pocked with Steam sales to get there.

That being said, Origin wrapped up my (at the time) Ys playing spree after playing Oath and not realizing what I'd been missing for years. Great game.

Well deserved. Glad to see Japanese devs have their global efforts pay off on Steam. I hope others take notice.

I bought both this and Ys: The Oath in Felghana. I haven't played either though. Should I start one today?
I'd say start with Oath first. It's more in line with what the series is all about, and you'd appreciate a certain reference in Origin a bit more.

Sakura

I'm never really sure how to react to Steam sales numbers.
200k for a game like Ys sounds amazing. But then I have to wonder, at what price were those sales? The game is like 6 bucks or so right now, and for all I know it's gone down as low as 3 or 4 during sales events. If it did most of those 200k at low prices like that, then I don't really know if that is good or not.

wildfire

Banned
On one hand they are correctly alluding to how anemic the pc gaming market is in Japan. On the other hand if they want to cultivate such a market they need to take a risk and release these type. I don't see why this would be a major when they are actually a Japanese company.

Einbroch

Banned
Those numbers are high, and that's awesome. However, what was the total sales in dollars/euros/whatever?

I mean, 200k is great, but if it's only $5 a sale on average, it's not as impressive. Still, that's great. PC has really come along in the JRPG market.

Aeana

For the record, Ys: Oath in Felghana for PSP sold about 40k in Japan and Falcom was fairly happy with those sales. They're used to dealing with lower sales numbers, they build their games around that kind of sales potential.

Those numbers are high, and that's awesome. However, what was the total sales in dollars/euros/whatever?

I mean, 200k is great, but if it's only $5 a sale on average, it's not as impressive. Still, that's great. PC has really come along in the JRPG market.

Ys has been rarely on sale below 50%. And to be fair, Steam revenue because of being digital only is far higher than physical copies.

Shahed

Hopefully the successes of certain Japanese games on Steam bode well for localisations in future. Like of a game was PS3, PS4, Vita or 3DS only they might not localise it. But by making them multiplatform with PC they decide to release worldwide.

Obviously this would be more useful with Nintendo's next handheld since multiplatform will actually be possible

I'm one of those 200K. I've only been playing the Ys games for just over a year now, but really glad I came across them. Falcom and XSEED have been making me a happy gamer lately.

Keep bringing games to Steam, please!

Copy bump.

Edit:

Since some people are asking, here's how the recent Ys games have done in Japan (first week/LTD), though obviously at a higher average selling price:

Code:
[Vita] Ys: Memories of Celceta: 38,806/55,734

[PSP] Ys Seven: 42,816/70,583
[PSP] Ys Seven [PSP the Best]: - /9,889

[PSP] Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga: 40,036/54,135

[PSP] Ys: Oath of Felghana: 20,717/37,244

[PSP] Ys I & II: Chronicles: 20,240/32,997

[PSP] Ys I & II / Ys Seven Set: -  /4,259
[PSP] Ys Super Price Set [Ys Seven / Ys I & II: Chronicles / Ys: Oath of Felghana]:   -  /3,381
Damn these numbers really put it into perpective on how good Origin's numbers really are all things considered.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I added their sales from the PSP era and the Celceta on Vita to my first post.

I would add more but Japan LTD Rank only goes back so far.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
For the record, Ys: Oath in Felghana for PSP sold about 40k in Japan and Falcom was fairly happy with those sales. They're used to dealing with lower sales numbers, they build their games around that kind of sales potential.

Didn't the PSP version of Felghana cost like ¥7000 at launch, though? That's a lot more money per copy than what XSEED is getting from the Steam version.

Edit: It was actually ¥5040. But still! Haha.

Einbroch

Banned
Ys has been rarely on sale below 50%. And to be fair, Steam revenue because of being digital only is far higher than physical copies.

I'm pretty sure I've only purchased the Ys games when they're 50% off or greater. I know 3-4 of my friends who have done the same.

I don't mean to downplay anything, but it does have to be taken into consideration. The Japanese games go for like 6-8k Yen, which is way more than a Steam sale, even after all retailer/distribution costs.

Shengar

With the comparison that Nirolak posted, 200k is HUGE number. Grats to Falcom and Xseed especially for bringing them! No more hesitation on bringing more game to Steam then, right Falcom (I hope Xseed is up to that task ;) )?
I'm willing to bet Falcom knows more about the Japanese PC market than the average person.

Yeah, I think their Japanese audience are no longer on PC and more likely have place on Sony's platform.

I'm pretty sure I've only purchased the Ys games when they're 50% off or greater. I know 3-4 of my friends who have done the same.

I don't mean to downplay anything, but it does have to be taken into consideration.

Of course it have to ! But it doesn't change the fact that 200k is really good for Ys series.

wrowa

I read this as Ys Chronicles for a second and was pretty mindblown about sales that high. Ys Origin makes a lot more sense, though! :p

Still great numbers, though. Just looking purely at the numbers, this might actually make Origin the best-selling Ys game ever (except if it the series was a lot bigger in the 90's than it is today in Japan).

It's very high for the series, though.

True. I was just hoping for a better number when it's thrown into the steam userbase on top of steam sales and how long it's been there. Not sure if it was part of a bundle at some point but yeah, that's also to be considered if so. Some of us even bought multiple copies to gift to other people lol.

If Falcom's happy with the numbers though then I suppose that's alright.

baterism

200k eh? So even all of them sold during sales at $5 it would net them around $1mil. I dunno man, that's seemed like a damn fine profit for old games. I did my part, two Sales ago. The question now is should I get Oath of Felghana considering I don't exactly enjoy origin.

Rione

I think that's surprisingly good considering how niche the series is, I can only hope these kind of sales spur more games like Ys to be brought to Steam. Time will only tell however.

Top Bottom