• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lars Andersen: a new level of archery

Status
Not open for further replies.

butalala

He seems like a total goober with all the jumping around and stuff, but I love his videos. He'd probably be a really fun guy to play D&D and go tromping through the woods with.

Melon Husk

Oh goodness another hilarious video featuring the magical Lars Andersen, a man who has rediscovered the ancient techniques of archery.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
He looks like a total goof, but he certainly is quite skilled. Really impressive stuff. I remember seeing a vid of him a while back.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This actually makes archery seem much more interesting and I wouldn't mind seeing it applied to fantasy settings and such, but man I can't stand it in modern-era fiction.

Peru

iSZ86MQy3H65H.gif

UrbanRats

Oh goodness another hilarious video featuring the magical Lars Andersen, a man who has rediscovered the ancient techniques of archery.

Just for clarity, is this one of those "He's actually not really skilled, guys!" posts? Because as someone who doesn't understand shit about archery, that looks very impressive, but maybe it isn't.
So were you being sarcastic or not?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
He better watch he doesn't tear an acl with those finishing stances.

Impressive video.

Who the fuck puts the arrow to the left side of the bow (assuming you're holding the bow with your left hand)?! I didn't see the point of saying Lars places the arrow to the right of the bow (if he's holding it in his left hand).

I have never seen that and I've done archery for a very long time. Other than that and looking like a goober when jumping around, he's very skillful. The VO was killing me.

Melon Husk

Just for clarity, is this one of those "He's actually not really skilled, guys!" posts? Because as someone who doesn't understand shit about archery, that looks very impressive, but maybe it isn't.

He's an incredibly skilled individual. It's his videos that come across as unintentionally hilarious. Catching an arrow mid-flight? Amazing.
Still:
vZl1J5.gif

Did Mythbusters cover that one yet? Catching arrows, not the historical accuracy of leg-drawn bear bows.

Splitting an arrow down the middle with one of your own arrows while it's coming towards you at a speed most of us wouldn't be able to react fast enough to. Wow.

gohepcat

Banned
Ohh thank god other people think this video is goofy.

When I saw it posted in Reddit everyone was just praising it.

I can't tell if he's intentionally hilarious or not, but his archery is impressive.

Haha yeah, at first I thought this was satire until I saw him do some seriously talented stuff. I still can't figure out if he is goofing around, or actually imagining himself as some sort of action hero. It reminds me of my 4 & 6 yr old boys when they dress up in costumes and play "Jedi hunts badguys".

UrbanRats

Who the fuck puts the arrow to the left side of the bow (assuming you're holding the bow with your left hand)?! I didn't see the point of saying Lars places the arrow to the right of the bow (if he's holding it in his left hand).

I have never seen that and I've done archery for a very long time. Other than that and looking like a goober when jumping around, he's very skillful. The VO was killing me.

In movies they do all the time.
I guess it looks cooler if you're holding the bow horizontally.

Also, on the the gif up in the thread, that woman is holding the bow with her left hand, and keeping the arrow on the left side of the bow.

Peru

Dude is skilled and all but 'trick shots' no matter if it's football or frisbee or archery lose some of their appeal uploaded on youtube after what one presumes is many tries not shared.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

He was pointing out how movies usually get it wrong when they have the arrow on the left side (with a left bow hand), probably because it's easier for the actor to keep in place while doing that diagonal bow holding thing they do.

He's showing how impractical it is for rapid firing and the kinds of feats of archery characters in fiction do when the nocking is so awkward, and that it really needs to be on the right side to pull off tricks with any kind of speed.

The thing that ruins the video is the narrator doing a fake deep voice singing the guy's praises. A more reserved narrator would have been better.

Melon Husk

Other than that and looking like a goober when jumping around, he's very skillful. The VO was killing me.

It was worse when he used synthesized voice.

You may have gotten this impression from some archery enthusiasts who've commented previously that firing arrows so quickly would provide little penetration to be an effective tactic in combat. In this video his arrows pierce chainmail, but that's not supposed to help against penetration IIIRC.

Did Mythbusters cover that one yet? Catching arrows, not the historical accuracy of leg-drawn bear bows.

They did catching an arrow. They determined that while it's possible to catch an arrow if you know exactly where it's coming from and are ready, it's not really possible if you don't know which direction it's going to come from.

Coreda

The thing that ruins the video is the narrator doing a fake deep voice singing the guy's praises. A more reserved narrator would have been better.

I assumed it's himself speaking in the third person. Wouldn't accept any other VO, it's perfect.

Aurongel

The video is pretty damn goofy but the shot of him catching an enemy arrow in midair and returning it to the sender is honestly the most impressive archery-related thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

No hyperbole, I'd make a GIF of it if I could.

Froli

Funny he got interested learning the bow through larping.

Goofy but god damn, His speed/accuracy, catching an arrow with your hands then use it against you and Splitting an incoming arrow is just god tier skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom