• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good horror point and click adventure games?

So yeah im just now starting to get into point and click PC games and now I'm looking for stuff with a horror atmosphere.

I already have I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and The Cat Lady.(I know about the Gabriel Knight series as well)

Ian

Phantasmagoria. It's quite old now, and I haven't played it for years so I don't know how well it holds up today.

Ophelion

Ever heard of The Last Door? Graphics remind me of old Sierra adventure games like King's Quest...but the story sure don't. Great use of sound. Spooked me pretty good a couple times.

You can just play it at that link if you want to give it a try.

CLaddyOnFire

Neo Member
Phantasmagoria. Some of those freakin scenes, good lord. Same as above though, haven't played it for a long time but I would expect it to still be pretty unnerving at worst

The Chzo Mythos games
notes_slenderndaqq.jpg

A series of point & click games made by Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw (the guy who does Zero Punctuation)

You can get them all for free here!

Release/playing order is: 5 Days -> 7 Days -> Trilby's Notes -> 6 Days

Phantasmagoria. It's quite old now, and I haven't played it for years so I don't know how well it holds up today.

It is still a ton of fun if you can stomach a bit of camp in your horror. The over-the-top deaths are the stuff legends are made of.

Some good stuff here guys, a few of the early recs seem to be hard to find though.

You could try GOG.com, there are a lot of old games on sale. They are DRM-free too, and most of them have Mac and Linux versions and filled with a lot of goodies (from manuals to, for example, original versions of remastered games or development material).

You could try GOG.com, there are a lot of old games on sale. They are DRM-free too, and most of them have Mac and Linux versions and filled with a lot of goodies (from manuals to, for example, original versions of remastered games or development material).

yeah I was looking there, couldn't find Clock Tower, Dark Seed, or Scratches.

Sanitarium - PnC - GOG
Clock Tower - PnC - SNES (Fantranslated), PS1
Scratches: Directors Cut - Steam
Phantasmagoria - FMV, PnC - GOG
Phantasmagoria 2 - FMV, PnC - GOG
Dark Seed - PnC - PC
Home - PnC-ish - GOG, Steam
Prisoner of Ice - PnC - PC
Shadow of the Comet - PnC - PC
Gabriel Knight - FMV, PnC - GOG
Last Door - PnC - ios, PC, GOG
Never-ending Nightmare - GOG, Steam
Year Walk - PnC-ish - ios, Steam

I could add more details/links later. This should be a good start.

The Lost Crown is a game with fantastic atmosphere, but it's a bit rough around the edges. The voice acting. graphics, and animations aren't particularly amazing. Still, there were a good amount of creepy sections in addition to the great atmosphere from what I played of it.

Dascu

Silence of the Sleep is pretty good and should be close to what you're looking for. Available on Steam.

Wretcher is an interesting title in development, much like the original ClockTower. I think the dev discussed a Kickstarter in the coming weeks or months. It has a demo available.

Syril

I'm a big fan of the white chamber. Despite the overdone anime look the atmosphere works quite well. In fact it almost makes it more unsettling because the difference between the look and the tone is so jarring.

I have no mouth and I must scream is fucking incredible.

/edit: ah shit, already in the OP. Oh well, let it serve as another recommendation.

Krejlooc

Banned
In case my post wasn't obvious, "D" is the title of a game. It's one of WARP's 3 Laura games, and the best one IMO. It was made by the amazing and sadly departed Kenji Eno. One of my absolute favorite adventure games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Clock Tower, Scratches: Director's Cut, The Cat Lady (not QUITE point'n'click, but very similar), Sanitarium, and "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream" off the top.

I second Silence of the Sleep as well, though not quite point'n'click, it is similar.

Edit: Oh, the D series isn't a bad suggestion either. The first game is straight point'n'click, the other two have point'n'click sections and elements. The series is composed of D, Enemy Zero, and D2.

pantsmith

I don't want to be that guy and start suggesting games that don't fit the genre you asked for, but Silent Hill (1-3) is more point & click than it is anything else.

If you haven't played anything out of the series it would be a shame to miss out.

Harvester is a great p&c plus its scary to very unnerving
Only reason I know of this game is retsupurae. But yeah, this was going to be my recommendation.

Dark Seed, Dark Seed 2, Harvester. All of them were on retsupurae. Slowbeef and lowtax also did Phantasmagoria. Good times.

Kind of my preferred way to "play" these games lol.

Unison

If you are okay with Puzzle-heavy type point and click adventures, I'd suggest:

Shivers
Shivers II
The 7th Guest
The 11th Hour
Black Dahlia
Ripper

Krejlooc

Banned
Edit: Oh, the D series isn't a bad suggestion either. The first game is straight point'n'click, the other two have point'n'click sections and elements. The series is composed of D, Enemy Zero, and D2.

To clarify, it's not really a series, just a loose connection involving the "actress" - Laura was a CGI model who appeared in several games (although she played different characters in each game) and is the only connection. The other games are entirely separate stories with no real links between them.

Enemy Zero has an awesome concept but it's infuriating to play. I literally can't play it - I'm essentially tone deaf and that makes finding enemies by sound alone before they kill you impossible for me. I wish there was a way to play without enemies, because the point and click segments are awesome.

SerTapTap

Deep Sleep is an interesting series of flash point and click horror games. On phone, can't link, they're all on kongregate et al

Top Bottom