• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: Insists "no downgrade" in The Witcher 3; just game optimization

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt releases in a couple of months and last week, CD Projekt RED held an event to showcase the latest build of its title. Our dear friends over at Enternity attended that event and interviewed the game’s Art Producer, Michal Stec, who told them that its visuals have not been downgraded.

As Michal Stec told Enternity’s Pavlos Papapavlou, CD Projekt RED is currently optimizing the game and has not downgraded the game’s visuals in any way.
“No. That’s the answer. We are not downgrading it. We are optimizing the game but in a way that doesn’t affect the visuals. So there is a lot of work for us, and this is also one of the reasons why we delayed the game. Because we still have to optimize it to get the best performance for you guys as possible.”
Eternity via DSOGaming

chappelle.gif

Good. people need to realize there is differences between 'downgrade and different platform and different PC settings'

Cutscenes look better than gameplay due to choice lighting and animation decisions. ONce people realize that... they will talk less of downgrades overall.

Edit: let's make some guess what the neverbefore demoed ultra settings will bring. I guess... (wish list=

1. Nvidia fur simulation and destruction sim (Nvidia hair)
2. Nvidia HBAO´plus
3. Per-object motionblur baby.. you know it
4. TXAA
5. More consisten SSr / actually using SSR

I trust cd projekt red to deliver the best game they can. Based on the interviews I have seen with their staff they all seem very passionate about their game and most important, they really seem to care about us gamers. The free dlc is one thing but delaying the game instead of release it unfinished shows how much they want this game to be the best game it can be. Can't wait to get my hands on with this!

Philippo

Well they are an honest bunch, so if they're so adamant on repeating this countless times i believe it.

I just hope they can optimize the PS4 version at its best and if possible even upgrade it as much as they can.

ironcreed

Banned
A worthy delay if there ever was one. This game sounds absolutely incredible. And yeah, it looks pretty darn nice as well.

The sooner people realize that game development requires tradeoffs and the graphics of an in-progress game changing (for better or worse) over the course of its development cycle is the result of optimizing those tradeoffs and not some sinister, evil, deceptive anti-consumer plot by companies, the better off we'll be.

It's time for the gaming industry/press/fans to retire the word "downgrade".

Nabbis

I have not really been comparing the shots, but assuming that they did make vertical slice videos, it's not something that's easily made playable due to them being ridiculously taxing and far higher quality than the rest of the game. Regardless of the actual truth, i don't support developers showing their work before it's actually in either alpha or beta.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cutscenes look better than gameplay due to choice lighting and animation decisions. ONce people realize that... they will talk less of downgrades overall.

Yeah, I don't think many people realize just how much of a difference posed/controlled sequences like cutscenes can make, even all real time with the same visual settings.

Nabbis

The sooner people realize that game development requires tradeoffs and the graphics of an in-progress game changing (for better or worse) over the course of its development cycle is the result of optimizing those tradeoffs and not some sinister, evil, deceptive anti-consumer plot by companies, the better off we'll be.

Yeah, bullshit marketing seems like the appropriate term. It is a problem when nearly all AAA games have initial "gameplay" videos that are quite obviously better looking than the final product.

Philippo

Exactly.
I mean, even if there was a downgrade, in exchange we got: huge ass open-world, lots of new animations, new tools for fighting and exploring and much more.
I'm more than willing to sacrifice some visual quality for some gameplay progresses.

Ridesh

Banned
Well, I think that the gameplay sequences from the VGX trailer look much better than the recent gameplay footage, but luckily I'm in love with the art direction and atmosphere of the game so it doesn't bother me.

Xeteh

And yet people are still gonna show up in threads about Witcher 3 footage/screenshots and talk about how it doesn't look all that good. You can't win!

I'm in the camp of thinking it's been downgraded but still think the game looks amazing.

However, given that ultra hasn't been shown, I hope to be wrong.

dlauv

Your going to say this without a gif?

A gif of what? Click the text you quoted and follow the yellow brick road. A CDProjectRED rep says we'll be able to replicate the graphical fidelity of the more recent trailers with the Ultra setting. He says they'll look into releasing Ultra footage.

studyguy

It's pretty moot for me, still rocking a 680 and wouldn't be able to hit ultra if I probably wanted to. Really need to upgrade this year sometime.

after dying light being unplayable at 720, with all settings on low on my rig that is above required specs....PC gaming as a whole scares me. Hope this game is playable for me at least, had it preordered on steam for a while now

Atrophis

There is nothing wrong with the word. It simply means the graphics of a game do not look as good as initially shown. Thats it.

All the rest may or may not be true depending on the game and developer. Its hardly like developers have not been known to outright lie their ass off to sell a product. See pretty much every game ever released for examples.

I disagree in that if one were to look at recent footage and screens, and then footage from say the E3 2014 demo, you'd see that the lighting system is much more complex and realistic in the latter footage. Maybe it's just time of day difference or different area in the world, but it def. looks much better than the footage we're seeing now.

erawsd

I have not really been comparing the shots, but assuming that they did make vertical slice videos, it's not something that's easily made playable due to them being ridiculously taxing and far higher quality than the rest of the game. Regardless of the actual truth, i don't support developers showing their work before it's actually in either alpha or beta.

Here is their explanation on the differences:
Aren't you afraid that the situation of Watch_Dogs will repeat itself, when the first trailer was compared to the final built of the game?

If one watched the trailer they would see that the character models in the game look better, even Geralt, he's been perfected - he's got better shaders, for instance. We made lots of new details, considerably improved the facial expressions and lip synchronization with spoken lines. We're dubbing it to 7 languages so we're not able to record motion capture of changes of the actor's face, like in Call of Duty. It wouldn't fit on three blu-rays. So we implemented the dynamic system based on sounds/phones, like in The Witcher 1 and 2, where it was weak. In The Witcher 3 it's incomparably better done, we've raised the bar for whole industry in comparison to other games that have to use the same system [like, among others, BioWare's games - editor note] and you couldn't see this in the trailer.

However the issue of lighting quality in that trailer remains subjective. We've made a mistake of rendering some shots in dark and gray colors. It was just an option picked randomly by the engine. I think that there will be places in the game that it will look stunningly good and no-one will accuse us of changes from the first trailer. Unfortunately, there will also be places where the game will look worse. It also happens in GTA - when the storm comes and it's gray, especially in the woods, graphics will for sure seem worse than in the living city illuminated with neons.

A gif of what? Click the text you quoted and follow the yellow brick road. A CDProjectRED rep says we'll be able to replicate the graphical fidelity of the more recent trailers with the Ultra setting. He says they'll look into releasing Ultra footage.

haha.. what i meant was this..

1gjdAX7.gif

No it isn't. You've never followed aliens colonial marines and what happened to that game.
Downgrades and false advertising are a real thing.

If I buy a washing mashine I don't expect to see ads about features that were cut from the product I'm actually buying, as that would be... false advertising.

Ubisoft also admitted they wilfully overproduce and overpolish their gameplay demos to a level that they KNOW they can't replicate in the full game, again this is willful false advertising.

Don't give them a free pass, there's a reason this shit is illegal

Yoda

Massive fan of the W3 but I'll still believe it when I see it. It's hard for me to believe that with 2 substantial delays + they giving the VGA's a very downgraded trailer (they claim they didn't have enough time to make it properly) that everything is 100%. Chances are the consoles held back the original vision and the game was watered down as a result.

So there is still a chance it look like this ? damn I can't wait anymore for it, just give it to me !!

2504400-7932559264-23989.gif

These "Ultra" settings better make the game look like the scene in this gif or I call downgrade. Will find that exact place and compare.
Unless the place doesn't exist, which would be even more ridiculous.

Lunar15

Optimized as in, changed the design of some things entirely: see the king of the Wild Hunt.

Oh well, I'm done debating this all over the place. Game will look great, and aside for a few missing elements, such as enhanced particle effects, fog, and certain colored filters, current footage looks very close to the original.

Even if it is "downgraded" we can openly see what the game is now. It's not false advertising if they're being open about what the game looks like before we buy it. If we bought it and it ended up looking different, then I could understand an outrage. As it is now, it's just slightly disappointing as opposed to being ethically dubious.

Coreda

These "Ultra" settings better make the game look like the scene in this gif or I call downgrade. Will find that exact place and compare.

I'm not expecting the game will have the same degree of detail they showed earlier. It made the game look so enticing for many people (from a visual standpoint), but we'll see.

eso76

Haven't seen evidence of a downgrade myself, just different areas/lighting etc. We couldn't make direct comparisons

The problem with this gif (or, rather, the video it is taken from) is that there's a heavy sharpening filter in effect, which makes the game look better here, but would probably be an unplayable flickering mess when directly rendered to the screen. You'd either need a huge ass amount of supersampling in order to get rid of the flickering, but then you would be playing with a single digit framerate or you'd need to reduce the level of detail in order to get a cleaner image.

Excessive sharpening seems to be a thing for CDPR, they already did similar things in The Witcher 2.

tuxfool

Banned
Haven't seen evidence of a downgrade myself, just different areas/lighting etc. We couldn't make direct comparisons

Exactly. I'd like for people to categorically prove their claims, with meaningful side by side comparisons. If they cannot, then they're more than welcome to beat that drum after release.

Mista

Banned
What downgrade? Watching trailers shown from different platforms, pc settings isnt called "downgrade" its just people loving acting silly these days. I honestly know how much of quality CDPR are.

Top Bottom