• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite post-2000 point n' click adventure game?

ScOULaris

Playing through Grim Fandango Remastered has got me in the mood to talk about PnC adventure games. I've never been particularly good at completing games of this ilk, given my impatience for some of their obtuse puzzle designs, but I find myself drawn to the genre because of how it lends itself to exploratory gameplay in well-realized worlds with unique art styles and memorable characters. While the satisfaction of solving a difficult puzzle is rewarding, exploring the world is the main driving force for me when I start a new PnC game.

Now we all know that the genre was arguably at its peak in the 90's when companies like LucasArts were cranking out fantastic adventure games seemingly every year for the PC, but there isn't much left to discuss with regard to that era. The great PnC adventure games of that time period are all well known and agreed upon. What I find more interesting is the slow resurgence of the genre thanks to the blossoming indie development scene of the last decade. One needs only to look at the PnC Adventure GAF thread to realize just how active the genre currently is, even if it's no longer high profile in the AAA realm.

So I thought it'd be fun for us to highlight some of our favorite PnC adventure games from the year 2000 and onward. The genre is somewhat inundated with choices (many of which are mediocre), so a discussion like this could help some people discover the stuff that's worth playing.

My favorites are the surreal works of Amanita Design:

arton108.jpg
samorost2-002.jpg

Pictured Above: Samorost, Samorost 2

Amanita has been cranking out some of my favorite adventure games for years now. What draws me to their unique brand are unique art styles, characters with a lot of personality despite having no dialog, puzzles that are challenging but not absurd, and impeccable sound design in the case of Botanicula. All of their games so far are charming, captivating, and not as frustrating as a lot of games in this genre tend to be. That's not to say that they're too easy, however. It's just that the times in which I got stuck had more to do with me failing to realizing something than not stumbling across some illogical solution.

If I have to choose one favorite for the purpose of this thread, I'll go with Machinarium. It was their first full-length game, and it shows. I can't lavish enough praise on that game's art style and world.

Amanita is currently developing Samorost 3, which is scheduled as a full release sometime this year. In case you didn't know, Samorost 1 and 2 are freely playable online on Amanita's website.

http://amanita-design.net/samorost-1/
http://amanita-design.net/samorost-2/

MaCL9ZRIRi9qNEiqpBR9FT-jc0-SlJpLrDWsrqPrv9lD0RsXg_hGAxryBU8Chk7DC8M=h900
DAE_BOTAN.006.jpg

Pictured Above: Machinarium, Botanicula

Recent times has got to be Gemini Rue
Awesome old school game and brilliant to do on the iPad

Definitely get it, especially if you like cyberpunk genre

Machinarium is the right answer. By way of analogy, the game is to the zenith of '90s LucasArts what a lot of independent short animation was to the early Disney films: none of the pleasure is verbal, but the design capitalizes on all the wisdom worked out in the genre's heyday while the flow of narrative goes all the way back to first principles of the moving image. A short and lovely vignette. Botanicula has a lot of the same strengths but is perhaps excessively episodic, with one immediate puzzle segmented away from the next.

The potential is there for Broken Age to claim the title should Tim Schafer get around to finishing it, although the puzzle construction in the first half is definitely a little too gentle and obvious for this to be a sure thing. The standard I always have in mind for the sweet spot of puzzle design, neither too obvious nor too opaque, is the whole sequence involving the hamster in Day of the Tentacle, and I can't think of anything in Broken Age that matches it just yet, for all its innocent charm.

Conezays

I certainly haven't had a chance to check out everything post-2000, but can offer some of my favourites that I have played.

Lots of Wadjet Eye games are great. Some of my favourites include the Blackwell series, Gemini Rue, Primordia, and Resonance.

While not exactly the same as the 90's PC Point & Click template, I think the Professor Layton series in particular is fantastic on the DS and 3DS. From what I've played of Ace Attorney Trilogy so far on 3DS, it's also quite enjoyable.

A shout-out to a weirder, more niche example would be The Cat Lady. A very cool, very depressing, and unique game.

And check out Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters (episodes currently being released) if you were/are a fan of The Longest Journey.

epmode

There are TONS of great-looking post-Lucasarts adventure games but very few of them have the writing to match. The Blackwell Series or the Ben and Dan games are probably my favorites.

Oh oh, and Machinarium! No need to worry about a lousy translation there!

I also love Dreamfall to death even if it's more visual novel than adventure game. Same goes for Kentucky Route Zero.

Other notable games: Primordia, The Dream Machine.

Definitely the new Sam & Max titles. Capture the spirit of the original perfectly.

I've only played the first two seasons but I *really* don't agree with this. Early Telltale games had this awful, formulaic thing going on where shitty side characters were reused over and over again, presumably to aid with rapid episodic development. It's a huge departure from the big adventure games, where side characters are introduced, used for a few jokes and discarded just as fast.

GavinUK86

Everything by Wadjet Eye, specifically the Blackwell series, Primordia, Resonance and Gemini Rue. They publish some fantastic PnC games. Their engine is utter trash but the games quality outshine it.

giapel

Machinarium: check
Ghost Trick: check
I'd like to add Tales of Monkey Island. I know it's not really appreciated in NeoGAF but I enjoyed it a lot.

Fjordson

Gemini Rue.

tumblr_n0o7po3s8l1ts3qvgo1_500.gif

Good puzzles, interesting story, neat looking environments, a moody noir/cyberpunk atmosphere and even a great soundtrack.

Easy, the two ben and dan adventures, "Ben There, Dan That" & "Time Gentleman Please"

d12oath.jpg

They are easily the funniest adventure games since lucasarts. The little touches in it are magnificent too - using almost every single item on either a hotspot or another inventory item produces unique and funny dialogue.

Really a wonderful game. Everyone who calls themselves a point & click fan needs to play them.

Gemini Rue.

tumblr_n0o7po3s8l1ts3qvgo1_500.gif

Good puzzles, interesting story, neat looking environments, a moody noir/cyberpunk atmosphere and even a great soundtrack.
Most admit that ambush scene where you shoot it out to many multiple tries on my phone. Likewise pathetic try at spoiler introduction here. Sorry but noting given away

Time Gentlemen, Please comes the closest to classic Lucasarts in scope, puzzle design and creativity as I've seen.

Episodic games were neat enough but I think the format cripples the adventure design.

megalowho

The Blackwell series from Wadjet Eye is excellent as far as modern takes on the classic point and click style go. Final game/chapter/episode just got released last year. Great writing, story arc and characters, good puzzle balance, ghosts, NYC pixel art, solid progression in quality from start to finish. Feels handmade and authored, which makes sense since the series is almost all Dave Gilbert's doing. My favorite thing Wadjet Eye has created to date, including some very good titles published under them.

ScOULaris

The Blackwell series from Wadjet Eye is excellent as far as modern takes on the classic point and click style go. Final game/chapter/episode just got released last year. Great writing, story arc and characters, good puzzle balance, ghosts, NYC pixel art, solid progression in quality from start to finish. Feels handmade and authored, which makes sense since the series is almost all Dave Gilbert's doing. My favorite thing Wadjet Eye has created to date, including some very good titles published under them.

Damn. Those screenshots piqued my interest. I'll have to look into these.

Yes OP, I was hoping that the release of Grim Fandango would create more interest in my favorite genre!

2000-2014 gives us 15 years so I will limit myself to 15 of my favorites from this time period.

1. The Longest Journey (Funcom, 2000)
1039462371-00.jpg

2. Syberia I and II (Microids, 2002 / 2004)
1366895860-00.jpg

3. Dreamfall (Funcom, 2006)
1161016663-00.jpg

4. The Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Unbound, The Blackwell Convergence and The Blackwell Deception (Wadjet Eye Games, 2006 / 2007 / 2009 / 2012)
1391070702-00.jpg

5. Sam and Max: Season One (Telltale Games, 2006)
1186131053-00.jpg

6. Gray Matter (dtp entertainment, 2011)
1312835740-00.jpg

7. Gemini Rue (Wadjet Eye Games, 2011)
1391070586-00.jpg

8. A New Beginning (Daedalic, 2011)
1391071271-00.jpg

9. To the Moon (Freebird Games, 2011)
1322177042-00.jpg

10. The Journey Down: Over the Edge and Into the Mist (Skygoblin, 2012 / 2014)
1338911085-00.jpg

11. Resonance (Wadjet Eye Games, 2012)
1391071098-00.jpg

12, Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller (Phoenix Online, 2012)
1411269410-00.jpg

13. Primordia (Wadjet Eye Games, 2012)
1357754995-00.jpg

14. The Samaritan Paradox (Screen 7, 2014)
iu

15. Blackwell Epiphany (Wadjet Eye Games, 2014)
1416167344-00.jpg

Sciz

I've only played the first two seasons but I *really* don't agree with this. Early Telltale games had this awful, formulaic thing going on where shitty side characters were reused over and over again, presumably to aid with rapid episodic development. It's a huge departure from the big adventure games, where side characters are introduced, used for a few jokes and discarded just as fast.

Season 3 got quite a bit better about that, mostly because it's much closer to being a single large story than a loosely connected series of events. The setting jumps around enough that it forced them to make characters come and go as appropriate instead of filling the same role month in and month out.

inm8num2

There have been some amazing adventure games since the genre's "death". Among many, here are some that spring immediately to mind:

Gray Matter - Great story, great music, great characters. Puzzles are a slightly mixed bag but the game does a great job of getting better as it goes along. It desperately needs a sequel.

Scratches - One of the best adventure horrors ever.

Myst IV: Revelation - Probably the 2nd best game in the Myst series. Great environments as usual with some pretty challenging brain teasers.

Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon - Extremely difficult but engrossing game that has a pretty interesting take on the Dracula legend with some detailed historical elements (good for people who like to read journals in games).

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Beautiful story, fantastic characters, and a wonderful sequel to TLJ. I love this game dearly. It's lighter on puzzles but still has solid gameplay (I never minded the couple sequences of combat/stealth).

The Book of Unwritten Tales - Hilarious, charming, and completely endearing. Great puzzles and especially memorable characters. Wonderful love letter to the adventure genre as well as to various works of fantasy and "geek culture".

Gemini Rue - Hard to pick just one title published by Wadjet Eye, but I have to go with Gemini Rue. Great story and killer cyberpunk/dystopian/noir atmosphere. Shoutouts to Primordia, Resonance, and the Blackwell series.

The Black Mirror trilogy - Listing all three games but it's really the second and third games that stand out. Fantastic horror atmosphere and a really nice variety of puzzles.

The Samaritan Paradox - This game really surprised me - one of my favorite stories in an adventure in quite awhile.

The Cat Lady - This game cannot be praised enough. Unforgettable storytelling and unsettling horror.

A New Beginning - I don't understand why people hated this game. The voice acting was fine to me. I liked the story and it handled the subject matter in a thoughtful manner. Daedalic does a mostly great job with their puzzle design, and ANB was no exception. Gorgeous visuals as well. Honorable mentions to The Whispered World and the Deponia series (still need to play Goodbye Deponia, though).

J.U.L.I.A. Among the Stars - This is a great game that needs a bigger audience. For such a small team and production CBE Software did an excellent job all around. I loved how the puzzles were integrated into the gameplay and exploration, and the visuals are stunning.

There are quite a few games I have yet to play which have come out in the past couple years. It's a wonderful problem to have too many adventure games you want to play.

Top Bottom