• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Creators Program for YouTube now in Beta

L~A

Just announced via Twitter. Sems to be Japan / US only for now, as it's the only two "languages" you can select.
The service has been launched today as beta.

Website is: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/

Guide and FAQ: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/guide/

List of games available: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/whitelist/

Some guides/tools: https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/creators/

Registration Rules

You can register single videos or entire channels.
When you register a channel, you will be eligible to receive a share of advertising revenue from Nintendo for all videos included in that channel, regardless of their content. If you only want some videos to apply to this program, please register each video individually.
You can only use channels or videos that contain copyrighted content related to game titles specified by Nintendo, and they must be your original creations. Be sure your videos do not contain copyrighted material from third parties or content from unconfirmed game titles. See here for a list of Nintendo game titles specified for use with this program.
It can regularly take up to three business days for your registered content to be reviewed and finalized.
The advertisement revenue share is 70% for channels and 60% for videos.
(This rate may be changed arbitrarily. )
In order to comply with applicable laws and regulations, and as a condition to participating in the Nintendo Creators Program, you must include the following disclosure with any videos you create that contain Nintendo content:

I have a license to use Nintendo’s content in this video through the Nintendo Creators Program. This video is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, but any advertising revenue from this video will be shared with Nintendo.

This disclosure may be spoken (e.g., in the YouTube video) or written (e.g., in the YouTube caption or as on-screen text in the video). Regardless of format, you need to make sure the disclosure is prominently presented, easy to understand, and clearly visible and/or audible to anyone who views your video.

Advertising Revenue Payments

Revenue shares will be calculated from the point that registration is complete.
Revenue shares are calculated at the end of each month, and it will take up to two months for payments to be sent to your PayPal account. You can check the payment results on-screen just after you log in.
Payments are made in US dollars.
Payments may not be completed if
- your PayPal account is not verified;
- your account has been deleted; or
- any other problem occurs with the PayPal account you registered to receive payments.

5rduzm.png

6sduob.png

sfried

Registered. Hope I can put this Elgato video recorder to good use (although it's not the 60fps variant).

L~A

Yeah, that's because the service is in beta right now. May 27 is the actual launch (may need a title edit).

This is gonna spawn so many Nintendo related videos. They kinda just created a great idea. First of it's kind and encourage people to promote Nintendo games.

I would love to be payed by Nintendo if I was a YouTuber.

Nicktals

Banned
They're basically taking 30% and people are happy about it? Am I missing something?

How much would they get from Nintendo videos before? 0?

EDIT: People want to, and love, making content of Nintendo created properties. Allowing those individuals to make some money off of it (whereas before they were entitled to 0) is actually pretty awesome, IMO.

L~A

Where are you getting May 27th from? The Tweet? Coz that's referencing when they announced this (May 27th, 2014).

Damn, you're right. The worst thing is I actually thought about that, but thought that it couldn't have been announced so much time ago.

Atrarock

What about if you're already partnered with a Network? Or is this just about anything Nintendo related that they might have claimed?

Orayn

Don't most partnership programs take a cut? Though I honestly don't know how much the standard is.

It's kind of hard to say for partner programs. Many don't disclose their cut and instead promise you a certain CPM that's *supposedly* better than what you could get through a first-party YouTube partnership, but it can wind up being worse in addition locking you into a contract. Their terms and conditions can be all kinds of weaselly and some real horror stories have resulted from bad deals with MCNs.

rhandino

Banned
So it's better because they took 100% before? Isn't it a standard among video game publishers to just let people be and make money on whatever videos they create?
No? Well some do but some channels partner with a network to receive some kind of protection and they need to pay a cut of their profits...

This seems more like a direct approach instead of the need of a third party but I could be wrong.

Cbajd5

Wii Street U powerd by Google

Well now I know what I'm making a video of if I ever get the stuff I need to stream...

Orayn

So it's better because they took 100% before? Isn't it a standard among video game publishers to just let people be and make money on whatever videos they create?

No. Some publishers are live and let live, others are fairly aggressive will use ContentID to get as much ad money as they can. Microsoft used to have a blanket policy that was every bit as aggressive as Nintendo's, as it completely disallowed monetizing anything based on a first party Microsoft franchise. MS opened theirs up, but with some major stipulations like not even being able to use the game/series name in video titles.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
This is such a crappy program and I'm really bummed out about it existing.

Scott667

I had a quick look at the "supported games" section and found it odd that the N64 versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask aren't listed. I find that really strange, seeing as how popular they are (you are allowed to monetise the 3DS versions however).

Other than that, it looks pretty decent, though I'd rather that the individual video rate was 70%, trying to force a youtube channel to be "Nintendo only" for the extra 10% seems really unfair.

Actually, reading a bit futher, the two month delay for payments is rubbish. Unless I'm missing how youtube normally does things, getting paid in March for stuff you did in January is way too long of a gap.

JNA

Banned
Very crappy program and the fact that you have to jump this kind of hoop so they can make a percentage of money from your videos.

How about just do it like other publishers and let them be?

That's what I mean. They're still among the bullies but they only take 30% of your pocket money so people feel like it's okay. Or generous even.

It's sickening the lengths some people will go to defend a company's anti-consumer policies or business practices. :(

Why they got to see All my videos. Can't it be easier if I submit videos I made to them instead
________

I registered a channel, will all of the videos in that channel be included in the Nintendo Creators Program?

A.Yes, all videos in the channel will be included in the program. Please keep this in mind if your channel contains videos that do not include Nintendo intellectual property.

Probably because Nintendo technically doesn't own absolutely everything in it. No Pokemon games either, unless I'm overlooking them. OR RHYTHM HEAVEN GOD DAMN IT
They own everything in Kid Icarus: Uprising though, don't they? And that game's also excluded.

No. Some publishers are live and let live, others are fairly aggressive will use ContentID to get as much ad money as they can. Microsoft used to have a blanket policy that was every bit as aggressive as Nintendo's, as it completely disallowed monetizing anything based on a first party Microsoft franchise. MS opened theirs up, but with some major stipulations like not even being able to use the game/series name in video titles.

MS clarified and it seems you can't name something Halo 4 or anything that might give the impression it's an official video but you can still do let's plays with names like Youtuber X plays: Halo 4.

Does that mean writing it in the video description is not enough?
In order to comply with applicable laws and regulations, and as a condition to participating in the Nintendo Creators Program, you must include the following disclosure with any videos you create that contain Nintendo content:

I have a license to use Nintendo’s content in this video through the Nintendo Creators Program. This video is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, but any advertising revenue from this video will be shared with Nintendo.

This disclosure may be spoken (e.g., in the YouTube video) or written (e.g., in the YouTube caption or as on-screen text in the video). Regardless of format, you need to make sure the disclosure is prominently presented, easy to understand, and clearly visible and/or audible to anyone who views your video.

rhandino

Banned
That's what I mean. They're still among the bullies but they only take 30% of your pocket money so people feel like it's okay. Or generous even.
I am on mobile right now so I cannot respond in full, but the list of "bullies" is actually pretty long and full of liked studios... at least this is kind of a step in the good direction since they give the majority of the revenue to the creators...

It's sickening the lengths some people will go to defend a company's anti-consumer policies or business practices. :(
How could you define this anti-consumer? Does it have a clause that you need to be positive about Nintendo and hiding the bad parts of the games? And how is bad business since booth parties get a piece of the pie and they give the big part to the video creators.

Some of these creators have been saying that their content is free publicity but now they are getting paid from the company itself... right now I don't see the downside but I will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is something shaddy going on.

Why they got to see All my videos. Can't it be easier if I submit videos I made to them instead
________

I registered a channel, will all of the videos in that channel be included in the Nintendo Creators Program?

A.Yes, all videos in the channel will be included in the program. Please keep this in mind if your channel contains videos that do not include Nintendo intellectual property.
Where is that?
I'm pretty sure you can register individual videos. You can register single videos or entire channels.
When you register a channel, you will be eligible to receive a share of advertising revenue from Nintendo for all videos included in that channel, regardless of their content. If you only want some videos to apply to this program, please register each video individually.

Spikain

I am on mobile right now so I cannot respond in full, but the list of "bullies" is actually pretty long and full of liked studios... at least this is kind of a step in the good direction since they give the majority of the revenue to the creators...

The length of the list doesn't make them less a bully.

How could you define this anti-consumer? Does it have a clause that you need to be positive about Nintendo and hiding the bad parts of the games? And how is bad business since booth parties get a piece of the pie and they give the big part to the video creators.

Some of this creators have been saying that their content is free publicity but now they are getting paid from the company itself... right now I don't see the downside but I will keep an eye on this thread to see if there is something shaddy going on.

The downside? If they let people be – as they could, because many publishers choose to – people would get 100% for their original content. Not 70%. It doesn't make it better because they get paid 2 months later by the company itself.

EDIT: One more thought: you're saying they're "giving a big part to the video creators". They're not giving anything. They're taking 30%.

Top Bottom